• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

zeemumu

Here's a story for my Disney loving friends. Maybe you all will understand it better than my class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PZJBu1bxVPuyjNV5nWUaJZnTa8yegA7hh9cQw8H2W5Q/edit?usp=sharing

A couple of side notes. I was bound to only 5 pages, and I had to include an opening picture and time shifts, and senses other than sight. So some of it sounds rather forced and wasn't in my original draft. I had to edit out like 2 paragraphs of lines, and I feel like I lost more content to the story because I had to add other things in.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

Here's a story for my Disney loving friends. Maybe you all will understand it better than my class.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PZJBu1bxVPuyjNV5nWUaJZnTa8yegA7hh9cQw8H2W5Q/edit?usp=sharing

A couple of side notes. I was bound to only 5 pages, and I had to include an opening picture and time shifts, and senses other than sight. So some of it sounds rather forced and wasn't in my original draft. I had to edit out like 2 paragraphs of lines, and I feel like I lost more content to the story because I had to add other things in.
Yeah that accident was rather tragic. They had to pull the first production run of the "You are here" mugs that are sold at the Starbucks in Epcot because it featured Monorail Purple along the front. It was changed to Monorail Gray. I believe guests are still allowed to ride in the pilot's cabin at Disneyland, though.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand.

It's not so much about the accident itself. It's looking at Disney as home. Home is someplace safe, some place you create memories at, where bad things can't happen. That accident kind of diminished that feeling of home and that magical bubble.

I began the paper after coming across one image I had of the accident, and I remember there were only a few posted online that night. I wrote it primarily from memory of that night and days following.

Just finished my first night of Food & Wine. I tried maybe 3-4 places and two Dominican Republic dishes stood out to me. The pulled pork and caramel flan. I also really enjoyed the chilled Irish coffee.

TEJ

.... Well, it looks like a disney streaming service is coming to europe.... a month after I asked about one....

.... Am I psychic? Do I work for disney? Or was it just a well educated guess? Or just dumb luck?

What would you guys say are the must-go restaurants in all of Disney World? We're trying to do more of the dining at Disney this trip, so I'm looking for some suggestions. Not really all that interested in character dining, and I'm open to going to any of the hotels. It's just for myself and my girlfriend if that helps narrow down suggestions.

The ones I've been to
-Sci-Fi Dine In Theater (Hollywood)
-La Hacienda de San Angel (Epcot)
-Be Our Guest (MK)
-Pizzafari ( Animal Kingdom)

Other than that, it was mostly food courts and quick service.

So anyone have tips for WDW at New years? I know it's crazy but we are at least reserving one of the four MK restaurants that offer guaranteed fireworks seating so there's that.

What would you guys say are the must-go restaurants in all of Disney World? We're trying to do more of the dining at Disney this trip, so I'm looking for some suggestions. Not really all that interested in character dining, and I'm open to going to any of the hotels. It's just for myself and my girlfriend if that helps narrow down suggestions.

The ones I've been to
-Be Our Guest (MK)

Here are my favs:

-Via Napoli. My family loves Via Napoli in Epcot. We can't take a trip to WDW without eating there once. That's probably the one we tend to agree on the most. We usually get a large pie and go half & half. One half is almost always quattro formaggi w/ prosciutto.

-Ohana. I love the food at Ohana at the Polynesian, but service is largely hit-or-miss. I think booking an early dinner can help with the annoyingly long waits for a table but if I'm staying at the Poly we tend to order the Ohana Twilight for room service which is exactly the same food except it gets delivered to us.

-Le Cellier at Epcot. I think about the steaks when I'm at home. There's better steak out there somewhere but I love their fillet mignon. Complimentary pretzel bread is a plus.

-Rose & Crown at Epcot. I usually go with the cheaper lunch and it's less crowded earlier in the day. The Scottish egg appetizer is excellent.

-Cape May at the Beach Club. All you can eat snow crab and other assorted seafoods. I'm not big on buffets but the offerings there are great.

-Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Another good buffet with a unique variety of choices. Tusker House has pretty similar offerings.

-Hoop De Doo Revue. Such a fun dinner show with all you can drink beer included!

-AMC dine-in at Disney Springs. The food isn't amazing but it's a fun experience. The price for food is relatively cheap. With the movie ticket it ends up costing similar to a standard table service at WDW.

There are a few other places I enjoy for various reasons or occasions. When I go to a place like La Hacienda or Yak & Yeti, I just get appetizers. I also like places where you can order from the full menu at the lounge. Some new places I enjoyed include Boathouse and Morimoto.

Food is like 60-70% the WDW experience for me so there's probably something that I loved that I don't quite remember atm lol

Astral Dog

There is something special about The Hunchback of Norte Dame, of all Disney animated movies that is the one i most return to.
Amazing soundtrack, villain,animation and a really special message.

daffy

Banned

The ones I've been to
-Be Our Guest (MK)

Trails' End (Fort Wilderness) - Delicious breakfast buffet that is cheaper and better than Ohana for small groups in my opinion.

Captain Cook's (Polynesian) - Quick service but has a really unique and satisfying menu (try the pulled pork with coconut)

+1 for Le Cellier (Epcot)

ESPN Club (Boardwalk) - if you enjoy sports its a nice venue and has a packed menu with a nice variety of creative bar esque mashups.

Also in Disney Springs, Morimoto Asia is nice for sushi. I haven't tried the pricier options.

The ones I've been to
-Be Our Guest (MK)

All the deluxe hotels have a great restaurant in them. As some one else mentioned, there's also Trail's End at Fort Wilderness. Don't forget the dinner shows at the Fort and Poly.

In the parks, the Land's Garden Grill actually has a good menu (although it is character dining). I love Prime Time over Sci-Fi at Hollywood Studios; never tried the Brown Derby. The Plaza Restaurant has a bit of a different fare to it than the other dining locations in the Magic Kingdom.

Are you looking for loud and fun, or a quiet meal with your girlfriend?

Are you looking for loud and fun, or a quiet meal with your girlfriend?

I suppose both. Maybe one or two of the nights we'll be looking for quiet dinners, but not necessarily every night.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have some research to do! Currently we have a reservation at the Prime Time Cafe and Kona Cafe.

I suppose both. Maybe one or two of the nights we'll be looking for quiet dinners, but not necessarily every night.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have some research to do! Currently we have a reservation at the Prime Time Cafe and Kona Cafe.

Prime Time will be one of those more fun kind of restaurants. Whispering Canyon Cafe at Wilderness lodge is a very loud and very fun place to eat.

Port Orleans and Fort Wilderness both do carriage rides around the property. It could be something to add on to the evening. Port Orleans also has the bar/lounge with the piano guy. I've gone there for drinks at night.

Snaku

Banned
Spending the day in Magic Kingdom today, starting it off with breakfast at Be Our Guest an hour before the park opens. Really looking forward to it.

TEJ

Soooo...

Inside Out will be on blu ray soon.
The good dinosaur is next month
The Lion Guard premieres on the 22nd of next month
yes, I will be watching it.

Also a new disney cover album was released today. 'We love disney' I like it. My favorite disney cover albums are brian wilson's and the one by michael crawford.

Oh right and then there's star wars. I have a ticket for the 17th at 8:30.

zeemumu

I haven't been to Disneyland in a while because I've been busy with college work. You don't realize how much you miss something until the withdrawal kicks in...

Star Wars Launch Bay and Hyperspace Mountain are due on the 17th right?

Anjin M

I haven't been to Disneyland in a while because I've been busy with college work. You don't realize how much you miss something until the withdrawal kicks in...

Star Wars Launch Bay and Hyperspace Mountain are due on the 17th right?

Looks like the 16th according to the Disney Parks blog. I'm curious about how popular it will be.

Anjin M

That means I have roughly 2 weeks to get my Disneyland fix before the crowds spike because of a combination of that and Thanksgiving crowds.

Good luck with that. I got in a crazy mood the other day and made reservations for Ariel's Grotto on Thanksgiving. Pray for us.

Malyse

This is the post where I bring up Hamilton and mention that Lin-Manuel Miranda (the man behind it and the upcoming Hamilton Mixtape) is the person in charge of the songs for the best princess film, Moana.

zeemumu

Damn it! Disney sent me a letter in the mail about my annual passholder renewal anniversary event and the registration opened last Thursday so it's already full.

I was looking forward to it all year, too. Last year's was my first time seeing the Christmas Parade live.

muteki

Had a great time @ food and wine. Went from ~5pm onwards Mon, Wed, Fri and did a full lap each time. Crowds were what I would call low-medium even on friday, though we left at or just before illuminations each day. Just about everything I ate and drank was delicious.

Also, not really FnW related but Boulangerie Patisserie, Tangerine Cafe, Hacienda San Angel, and Sunshine Seasons are still amazing. Conversely the menus and offerings at MK are so screwed up currently the only place I eat in park for quick service now is Harbor House. Others must think so too because it was crazy crowded and always had been nearly dead for us before.

Also had my first "crazy person w/ stroller" experience. Fun fun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Leaving Thursday night for our trip!

Originally, we were leaving on Friday. However, we were able to switch our flight AND save money. So we are doing OKW on Thursday and then switching to BCV Friday -> Sunday. Christmas Party is Friday, my first time seeing the lights on Saturday + Food & Wine, and Sunday is sort of "wander about the parks" to wrap things up.

Is anyone else crazy obsessed with pin trading like my wife??

Had a great time @ food and wine. Went from ~5pm onwards Mon, Wed, Fri and did a full lap each time. Crowds were what I would call low-medium even on friday, though we left at or just before illuminations each day. Just about everything I ate and drank was delicious.

Also, not really FnW related but Boulangerie Patisserie, Tangerine Cafe, Hacienda San Angel, and Sunshine Seasons are still amazing. Conversely the menus and offerings at MK are so screwed up currently the only place I eat in park for quick service now is Harbor House. Others must think so too because it was crazy crowded and always had been nearly dead for us before.

Also had my first "crazy person w/ stroller" experience. Fun fun.

We are doing San Angel on Saturday before Illuminations. We have the viewing package or something like that. Should be fun - I don't think I've ever eaten there; my wife LOVES Mexican food and I <3 margaritas. Real talk - favorite dish from there?

muteki

We are doing San Angel on Saturday before Illuminations. We have the viewing package or something like that. Should be fun - I don't think I've ever eaten there; my wife LOVES Mexican food and I <3 margaritas. Real talk - favorite dish from there?

I had to go back and double check because the restaurant names are so similar and I have a difficulty keeping them straight:

- San Angel Inn Restaurante is inside the pavilion, adjacent to Grand Fiesta Tour
- La Hacienda de San Angel is the table service half of the restaurant building across the promenade outside the pavilion.
- La Cantina de San Angel is the quick service in the other half of the building, with the patio overlooking World Showcase Lagoon. I thought this was lunch only until this trip, if you manage to get a good seat it looks like a decent view for the fireworks too.

We actually haven't been to La Hacienda yet. It looks good but the times I've been looking for Mexican table service I've always jumped for San Angel Inn instead. I really like the atmosphere there. For quick service, La Cantina has a huge plate of nachos for your money, and the "chipotle" salsa they have there (SA Inn too) is extremely good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok, so I asked my wife...It's not a viewing package, it's just that we are going to La Hacienda so we can watch the fireworks. We've been to the outside one and the pyramid one, but not the one we are going to! I'm pretty excited!

Ok, so I asked my wife...It's not a viewing package, it's just that we are going to La Hacienda so we can watch the fireworks. We've been to the outside one and the pyramid one, but not the one we are going to! I'm pretty excited!
The queso fundido appetizer is fantastic. Often I'll go just for that. The shrimp tacos are great too. They have an entrée that comes with 4 tacos, each with a different type of meat, but I usually ask for all shrimp.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The queso fundido appetizer is fantastic. Often I'll go just for that. The shrimp tacos are great too. They have an entrée that comes with 4 tacos, each with a different type of meat, but I usually ask for all shrimp.

We were looking over the menu last night. Apparently they have a few really big entres we can share that look fantastic. Also, they have a ton of margaritas so I am extra hyped.

I keep forgetting that this is food and wine as well, so I will be eating and drinking so much deliciousness all weekend!

TEJ

There is now a disney streaming service in the uk and it apparently has a lot of stuff never released on dvd.

/is jealous.

I know that the original post is outdated, I will try to contact spr to help updating it.

I haven't seen the good dinosaur yet, will likely rent it.

Zootopia looks funny but i'm hoping it isn't purely a comedy.

Leaving on Monday for WDW. It'll be my second time being there!

I'm pretty excited! We have reservations every day of the week, we'll be going to the Christmas party, and if time/weather permits we may even go to Typhoon Lagoon (Blizzard Beach will be closed).

Let's see. Updates...

OK going to my first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party on Sunday the 6th! WAY WAY WAY hyped. A group of 9 of us (possibly 11) are all attending in Christmas pajamas and carrying matching stuffed animals. I have the cutest Polar Bear Christmas jammies!

Yes we have issues! But we always theme things so... :)

Then a HS friend as his wife (that I attended two of my three days at Food & Wine this year) are back next week and we are going on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour at the Magic Kingdom!!! It's kinda my Christmas prezzie from them! So behind the scenes access etc!

Then my bear is coming from Calgary with his brother, sister-in-law, 8yo nephew, and a friend for 10 days starting New Year's Eve, and we are doing 3 days of Disney (plus some Universal/Sea World/Cape Canaveral/etc) We have Chip & Dale's Harvest at Epcot, and Minnie's Hollywood & Vine dinner reserved PLUS the new Star Wars fireworks desert party! Scouting out Launch Pad this week so I know it well when they arrive. My friend Rene is overseeing the retail space so I am hoping I can weasel a nice spot for the character meets. I think it's Chewbacca and Vader? I definitely saw some New Order Stormtroopers out front.

I'm trying to make a wonderful impression with the family as he's a keeper, so I'm doing my best to get his nephew into Jedi Training! So I';ll scout that out next week one morning to see the best way to assure we are first come first served when the rope drops for park open.

One more thing I'm planning for him is a surprise collection of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards. Since you get a free random pack every visit, I have recruited about 6 of my local buddies to stop and grab a pack every visit until the 31st of December. So he should have a huge pile to open! Also my friend's wife who is coming in next week for Keys said her son has TONS of doubles and they have a special Not So Scary Halloween card that they got from this year's party for him! That along with my Very Merry Card should be a nice present!

I cannot wait to see the park from his eyes as it's his first trip and his Christmas present from his uncle.

YES! Forgive my rambling, but I love the park and cannot wait to share it with new people.

flyover

That sounds like a heck of a plan, BFO. Hope all goes well!

Like you, Rapscallion, my wife and I are heading to WDW on Monday, though I'm tempted to drive up tomorrow for the last day of Captain EO. We nabbed a decent deal on a studio at the Polynesian. Never stayed on the monorail line before -- and I love using the water taxis.

Anyone else who's going now, if you have spare time, it's usually well worth checking out some of the lobbies of the deluxe hotels (especially the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge) at Christmastime. Sometimes, when we don't have entry to the parks, we've spent entire days just riding the boats and monorails and walking around the Magic Kingdom and Boardwalk resort areas.

That sounds like a heck of a plan, BFO. Hope all goes well!

Like you, Rapscallion, my wife and I are heading to WDW on Monday, though I'm tempted to drive up tomorrow for the last day of Captain EO. We nabbed a decent deal on a studio at the Polynesian. Never stayed on the monorail line before -- and I love using the water taxis.

Anyone else who's going now, if you have spare time, it's usually well worth checking out some of the lobbies of the deluxe hotels (especially the Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge) at Christmastime. Sometimes, when we don't have entry to the parks, we've spent entire days just riding the boats and monorails and walking around the Magic Kingdom and Boardwalk resort areas.
We had a really great rate in October for a studio due to there being construction on the quiet pool area that our room was facing. It kind of seemed like it was wrapping up so hopefully you get a better view if your room faces toward the pool. The studio is great. A separate shower room was really nice.

flyover

We had a really great rate in October for a studio due to there being construction on the quiet pool area that our room was facing. It kind of seemed like it was wrapping up so hopefully you get a better view if your room faces toward the pool. The studio is great. A separate shower room was really nice.
Cool! I wondered why they were going for so little (relatively), especially when we got it last minute.

Got back from Disney World a few days ago. Being only my second time being there, thought I'd share some impressions.

Resort: Coronado Springs is a very cool and calm resort. I'd imagine that changes when conferences are occurring, but we really enjoyed it a lot. The room was really nice in comparison to the value resorts, and the scenery is quite impressive for its price range. The pool was a little lacking unfortunately, the pyramid structure looked neat, but that was more or less the extent of the benefits to the pool. Also, one measly hot-tub for a whole resort seemed pretty silly. The food court wasn't all that great either, but the in-resort restaurant that we ate as was great and quiet.

I can definitely see why people say it's the most value for your buck before you go into the next price level of hotels. Great place if you're looking for a moderate hotel.

Epcot
Epcot still stands out being the most unique Disney park, there's just nothing like it. We went on Living with the Land, Mission Space (Green Line), and The Lion Kings Circle of Life for the first time, each had a unique experience. The only ride we didn't get on this trip was Test Track, which we had done before. Ride wise, Epcot has the most strange and unique rides. Aside from Soarin, there isn't a single ride that I can experience here in California, so it really does offer a really unique experience. We had lunch at the Germany pavilion's buffet, and it was spectacular. Another day we had lunch at the Rose and Crown, and that was terrific as well.
We also got tickets to the candle light processional. I wasn't looking forward to it all that much, but it turned out to be really fun. Really well put together and a great way to get someone in the Christmas mood, even if they only do religious songs.

Animal Kingdom

Finally had the chance to do the two rides I had been waiting for the most: Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids. Everest did not disappoint, it may be the best roller coaster in any Disney park. River Rapids on the other hand kind of let me down; it looks amazing and the ride really brings home the message of deforestation and our effect on nature, but it was incredibly short. By the time the ride was over, I was expecting a second half to it. It seemed even more short than its Californian counterpart. I also barely got any water on me, which was a shame. Water Rides in general are my favorite rides, so I was just a little disappointed. That said, Animal Kingdom is such an amazing park; it has so many little details that one can miss their first time there. I was constantly being amazed by the unique themeing that park held.

Magic Kingdom
We did a day and a half in MK, with one night being the Christmas party and one entire day. The Christmas party was neat, but I don't think we'd ever do it again. The parade was fine, and the show on the castle was spectacular, but we didn't feel like we got enough out of the experience to justify it again. Maybe when we have kids that want to meet with the characters and such. We did MK pretty thoroughly, despite being the most crowded of the parks. This trip was my first time on Mk's Splash Mountain and Big Thunder, which were under construction last time we visited. Splash Mountain blew me away; it's completely different than the one in Disneyland. The extra drops, better lighting, and better design made it my favorite ride of the day. Likewise, Big Thunder Mountain at night was tremendous.
We had to try out the mine train, so we sucked it up and spent the hour in the line. We were disappointed. It's a great ride with some amazing things to look at, but it's not worth waiting over 10 minute for. The ride was over in seemingly a minute.
All in all, Magic Kingdom feels like the park with the most to see and do, without the burden of everything be smashed together like it is in Disneyland.

Hollywood Studios
Hollywoods studio is currently the most under utilized park. We spent less a day there and even then we felt like we had done everything worthwhile. Got to try out the Great Movie Ride and Rocking Roller Coaster for the first time, each were pretty fun. A good portion of the park was under renovation, so it felt even more scarce than previous years. We even got to see the new Force Awake star tours segment, which was pretty fun despite it making me incredibly nauseous. We stuck around for the Osbourne light show, which was pretty amazing. The amount of people started to wear on us though, so we headed home a little early that night. I'm excited to see what Disney will do with the park in the coming years, but for right not it feels like an incomplete experience.

We took sometime to see a lot of the other resorts as well. We went to the following: The Animal Kingdom Lodge, The Contemporary Resort, Polynesian, Fort Wilderness Lodge, and The Boardwalk. Each looked amazing, with the Polynesian and AKL being the two standouts. We ate dinner at Jiko in AKL and the Wave in the Contemporary, both of which were pretty great experiences.

5 days in the park went quickly. I still feel like there's a lot left to see and do. By the end of the trip I was incredibly bummed to leave. It'll probably be a couple years until we return, but it goes without saying that Disney World is a tremendous experience quite different than visiting Disneyland. I'm excited for what the future holds for the parks, but also hope that Disney has the foresight to hold onto some of their more progressive and unique rides like Universe of Energy, the carousel of progress, and spaceship earth. With there being a big push towards movie themed lands and rides, I hope they don't lose the imagination of their park unique rides and shows.

Disney Springs is a lot of nothing. No thanks.

Last day for a few things here at Disneyland before they are replaced by new attractions and holy shit the line for the last showings of Aladdin were unbelievable. The line was the first thing you'd see entering the park.

Last day for a few things here at Disneyland before they are replaced by new attractions and holy shit the line for the last showings of Aladdin were unbelievable. The line was the first thing you'd see entering the park.

Bummed I never saw it.

I've been there several times with the intention to see it, but timing just never worked out or we got caught up with something else.

Juice

Just booked my first Disney cruise on the Dream.

What have I done?

Any recommendations of stuff to look forward to from Disney Cruise-Age?

muteki

Just booked my first Disney cruise on the Dream.

What have I done?

Any recommendations of stuff to look forward to from Disney Cruise-Age?

Unlimited banana soft serve ice cream and Castaway Cay. Get to the port ASAP and stay on the boat as much as possible. After my two cruises (Dream and Fantasy), whenever we get back we probably won't do nearly as many shore excursions, rather save money and enjoy the ship. Castaway though is amazing. Fireworks on pirate night is pretty awesome too.

Juice

Unlimited banana soft serve ice cream and Castaway Cay. Get to the port ASAP and stay on the boat as much as possible. After my two cruises (Dream and Fantasy), whenever we get back we probably won't do nearly as many shore excursions, rather save money and enjoy the ship. Castaway though is amazing. Fireworks on pirate night is pretty awesome too.

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I plan not to overdo it.

What did you think of the room service?

Any on-boat activities particularly great?

I was looking for a Disney community thread a couple weeks ago.

Going to FLorida this summer for a little over a week... Doing 6 days on the gulf coast (Marco Island) and then 5 days at Disney World. Booked our stay at the Boardwalk and I'm really looking forward to it. My wife hasn't been since she was a kid and I went last year with my extended family, nieces & nephews, etc., so looking forward to going down. We're going in August, and I've never been to Disney in the dead of summer before so I'm sure it'll be ridiculously hot but we don't really care.

Especially looking forward to staying at the Boardwalk within walking distance of Epcot. I stayed at Animal Kingdom the last time which was really good, but the distance was a drag... especially after a long day and into the night, having to get onto the shuttle and then also walk about a quarter mile to my room from the shuttle dropoff was tiring.

Anybody stay at the Boardwalk before? We asked to be away from the clown pool because I heard it's loud. Any other suggestions?

muteki

Awesome, thanks! Yeah, I plan not to overdo it.

What did you think of the room service?

Any on-boat activities particularly great?

Room service wise I can't really say much. We weren't in our room all that often and I never tried getting food brought up. My understanding is you can order anything from any of the regular restaurants and they will bring it up course by course as if you were at the table. We mostly ate at the restaurant in rotation each night, but sometimes would eat at the lunch buffet which converts into individual table service w/ a sampling of the other restaurants food at night. This is good if you need a break from the other guests you are dining with. I hear Remy/Palo are nice too but haven't tried them.

The shows are all really great for cruise lines, I'd try to see each of them. Also, they have a full schedule of movies playing in the two theaters around the clock, it is nice to be able to watch new releases for "free". The adult pools/lounge areas are pretty well partitioned off from the kids areas which can get pretty crazy during the day. The jogging track is usually not very crowded either. Actually the whole ship, while at certain spots at certain times can feel crowded, but in general it is so big that there are a ton of places you can go and just chill out if you explore.

Top Bottom