• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z AKA "28 Scandals Later" AKA "bury the ones we love and plagiarize the rest"

The M.O.B

WarZNight32-610x343.jpg

Misleading as hell, i'll eat my shoes if the game has this many zombies after you at one time.

alphaNoid

Banned
I'm super hyped about this game. It launches this fall, beta soon.

1 time purchase of $29.99
No monthly charges
Easy to link up with friends in game/group/start games together
Persistent world
Realism
Hardcore mode
Survival Horror
No levels, or level caps.. just unlocking new abilities.
+more

I'm thinking this is the real zombie survival game.

therapist

Interesting...sounds good actually.

I like DayZ but it runs like shit on my rig for some reason even tho i can run bf3 almost maxed at 1080 no probs...

Will likely get this on release if well received.

matellis

Neo Member
This game looks very promising so far. Is it just me or do those cars look way out of proportion in that last screenshot?

Card Boy

Banned
They really need to change the name of the game. War-Z just screams Chinese/Zynga/Tencent/Nexon knockoff to me.

Make the game cost $1.

But every time you die, you have to pay another $1 for another life.

Survival instincts set to maximum.

I'm interested to see how this will shape up against DayZ.

Supposedly the devs for WarZ were like laying dormant and were just waiting for a new trend to capitalize on.

A fall release for WarZ is kinda tough IMO, seems like they are really rushing to push the product out before DayZ get's a stand alone or substantial update.

tbh, if they want to get the "ripoff DayZ" tag, they should show gameplay previews. Otherwis e it looks like they really did it afterwards, most of it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have a feeling this game will have more jank than DayZ.... I'm expecting Bethesda animation and controls similar to the more generic TPS games...

And those backpacks look retarded.

ekim

I have a feeling this game will have more jank than DayZ.... I'm expecting Bethesda animation and controls similar to the more generic TPS games...

And those backpacks looks retarded.
That's why I wanted to know how long this is in the making.

I want to see gameplay videos or even better, play the beta, before I really get my hopes up. I want this to be really good, but I have a feeling it's not going to be what I was hoping for.

No.. No it's not. I dont wanna pay a dollar every time I get killed by a door, or fall through the map.

I would certainly like to try the beta. I doubt that they will have this be as awesome as DayZ though.

I would like to think there would be 'Bullshit Death Insurance' somehow, like being unable to 'die' by fall damage and there being some sort of unstuck command like WoW utilizes.

legacyzero

Banned
I would like to think there would be 'Bullshit Death Insurance' somehow, like being unable to 'die' by fall damage and there being some sort of unstuck command like WoW utilizes.

LOL!

"Pay 50 cents more and be insured from bullshit deaths!!!"

Kotick.jpg

Did/do arcade cabinet manufacturers get sued if you lost a quarter because of a bug in the game?

Youre talking about brighter times, and about something you would not be able to prove. If millions of people used the same cabinet and thousands of them got screwed in a certain way, that would mean the game maker is getting benefits out of screwing the consumers.

Not that i'm against the idea. But it wouldnt work since there's a gamemode DayZ style that's gonna be the hardcore mode, but the other mode will be unlike it. So it just wouldnt make sense.

Btw i can totally see a "friendly package" purchase item that gives you back your stuff from your previous life for only 4,99$!

mkenyon

Banned
I'm interested to see how this will shape up against DayZ.

Supposedly the devs for WarZ were like laying dormant and were just waiting for a new trend to capitalize on.

A fall release for WarZ is kinda tough IMO, seems like they are really rushing to push the product out before DayZ get's a stand alone or substantial update.
What I gathered from the IGN interview article was that the game had a ton of content for quite a while, they just changed the format considerably from a Dead Island-esque thing to a glorious open world Shadowbane/DayZ game. Was more of a focus shift, the timing and announcement is to capitalize on DayZ.

I hope they do. While I love the concepts of DayZ, the engine and pop cap kills it for me.

meep!

Neo Member
Has there been any words on how large the world is in WarZ? Part of the charm of DayZ is how huge the landscape is imo, that you quite easily can get lost and just explore.
I just have a feeling this will be a lot smaller and more intense action rather than having that feeling of survival in a huge world that DayZ delivers. I could and am hopefully wrong though.

Not so much bothered about the size, but would be good if there were a number of maps (or random maps) with strategic resources to try and claim.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I hope this becomes a new genre and companies begin competing for my money... because it is a really cool concept and I'd like to see more than one or two attempts at it.

Herb

Banned
I hope this becomes a new genre and companies begin competing for my money... because it is a really cool concept and I'd like to see more than one or two attempts at it.

So true. Persistant worlds give me boners. I want someone to do a persistant space-to-world sim, where you colonize shit.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Looks pretty good.

I wonder though.....do you guys think both this and Day Z were both influenced by the huge popularity of Nazi Zombies from CoD?

ZenVolta

Signed up again just to make sure it had my email for beta key. I dont wanna miss this!

Wonder why theres still no Gameplay videos. If the betas so close you would think theyed have something to show by now. Weird

Rflagg

Signing up for beta, I hope the rpg side is strong as I have never gotten into playing a fps which is the reason I haven't tried day z despite thinking it is a cool idea.

goonergaz

WTF?

What are system requirements?

If your computer has at least 2GB of RAM, has video card that supports Shader Model 3.0 - then you should be able to play The War Z.

what sort of BS answer is this?!

DTKT

Hey guys.

Here is a post from the producer on WarZ. He posted this on the DayZ forum.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/65797-warz-competitor-copied-dayz/page__st__60#entry657726

Dear Griff and other "detectives" ,

I'm sure you're going to delete this post and ban me as you did when I posted before, but this time I'm at least going make screenshot of my post so later on I can just forward anyone to it

So here's some real story about me, Arktos, and other companies.

1) Yep, I've produced Big Rigs - I'm not exactly sure how it's related to where we're now, but yes it's something I did. No, I wouldn't even call it game, and I have no idea why our client decided to release this version to public and Activision Value decided to put it on shelves.

2) After that I worked on titles such as Gears of War and League of Legends ( I've been Technical Director of Riot Games since september 2006 and up until mid summer 2008 ). I'm sure those titles sucks too.

3) After I left Riot, we've spent couple years developing online game engine, as well as doing technology development work for companies like Gaikai and Sony.

4) Arktos invested in company Online Warmongers Group, provided it with engine, that resulted in game called War Inc. Battle Zone. I'm still serving as chairman of the board of this company and acting as one of the executive producers on the game.

5) Early 2011 group of developers who I knew for close to decade, approached me with idea of cool open world game. we've inked deal and Hammerpoint was born.

6) Later 2001 Hammerpoint decided that they want to start working on second game. They had cool prototype build on UDK for zombie game, and they wanted to marry this concept with large open world to build sort of like GTA game - gta as in sandbox, not as drive and shoot. We decided we want to go forward with it around October 2011 and they started preproduction. It took us two months to finalize legal documents and agreed on deal structure. So that's put us in december 2011.

7) Fast forward to late May 2011. DayZ madness started and few of the team members being huge Arma fans, started playing DayZ. At this point our own game been strucutred lot like GTA - ie - yes you have one huge world, but at same time it's not "unlocked" from the beginning - ie there're natural barriers that "close" access to rest of the map. As Dayz gained popularity we've decided to abandone this idea and open up world.

8) DayZ growth forced us to shift into overdrive development wise. We also realized we need more resources to get to the market sooner than we originally planned. We've bring in additional financing - and this is why OP Productions LLC was born - to legally protect interest of both investors and developers, to make sure that everyone will get share of revenues it deserves.

It's really sad that DayZ team's officials decided to go low road and just show us as crooks and con artists, I really hope this is just an individual opinion, not development company official position.

Here's more of this : http://forums.thewar...ETS-OF-THE-DEVS-!

PS: I really really happy that DayZ will become standalone game. And I hope that the War Z release will push you guys to make a better game for your fans.

Top Bottom