• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z: shady, misleading and false advertising.

DTKT

Sort of mind boggling that someone could know the name "Rocket," the developer of the game, and not know the name of the game itself. Just makes me wonder.

WarZ
DayZ

If someone was just playing the game, without following the dev side, they would probably think that WarZ is made by the same guys.

Card Boy

Banned
"Guyz The War Z has been in development for over 2 years!!!"

facebookwarzibrln.jpg

WarZ
DayZ

If someone was just playing the game, without following the dev side, they would probably think that WarZ is made by the same guys.

That's the opposite of what happened there, though. Usually someone knows a game and has no clue about the dev, and this is a strange and interesting reverse situation.

pelican

I think you guys are over-reacting a bit.

I picked this up ages ago for £15. Admittedly while War Z isn't nearly finished I have definitely got my moneys worth out of the game. 15 quid is hardly a lot of money to invest in a game anyway so I really don't understand some of the reaction of players wanting refunds etc.

DTKT

If they were using another name and there wasn't so much shady stuff, I probably wouldn't be as mad. But this is blatant attempt at riding the coattails of DayZ. When they claimed that the game was in development for 2 years, or their tendency to heavily recycle from War Inc.

It's just so disgusting and makes me kind of sad that the mod that started everything is just getting confused with the mess that is WarZ.

Bleh.

That's the opposite of what happened there, though. Usually someone knows a game and has no clue about the dev, and this is a strange and interesting reverse situation.

It's easy to think that when a developer goes from a mod of another game that they might change their name when they release a stand alone project.

It's not like the person has likely never heard of DayZ, but rather made the assumption that the stand alone game would be called something else. Hell, I understand it well because I thought that's what it was. Then again, I never played DayZ originally (but have since become very fascinated with the concept and plan on picking up the stand alone).

Reigan

Banned
I knew this was a quick cash grab however new age "gamers" will buy garbage and then say "but it's still alpha" get conned and then do the same mistake few weeks later, currently the industry is a joke.

It's easy to think that when a developer goes from a mod of another game that they might change their name when they release a stand alone project.

It's not like the person has likely never heard of DayZ, but rather made the assumption that the stand alone game would be called something else. Hell, I understand it well because I thought that's what it was. Then again, I never played DayZ originally (but have since become very fascinated with the concept and plan on picking up the stand alone).

I suppose that's true. Maybe I pay too much attention to this sort of thing :S

Reigan

Banned
$13.50 is a 3D movie ticket. I mean, I am not going to buy it right now, but it actually looks kind of fun. Obviously the company is doing shady things, but if its still fun I would pay $7 or so.

I bought Brink at full price, so I feel I am invinsible.

Thanks to this logic we will have more broken games and cut content with shallow gameplay, thank you so much.

Reigan

Banned
Dat DayZ hype!

I know that Rocket has said that he has no interest in taking these fools to task, but he could AT LEAST make them change the name. That shit is full on SHADY! Even the community hardly understands the difference because of it!

That is a troll thread he knows rockets name but not the game itself? clever parody of clueless folk.

jerry113

Banned
The game is obviously still in alpha. Why is it already on steam?

I'm going to wait for DayZ standalone. It's just right around the corner, set to be released in a month or two anyway.

Fun fact... DayZ stand alone is also going to be released as an "alpha". At least according to their own blogs. They plan on adding full content for at least a year after launch.

I don't see the problem with releasing games like that on steam as long as it's clearly noted on the main page or something like that.

Card Boy

Banned

Apparently its out of alpha and beta now, hence why its being sold on Steam. So this is the real deal baby, so the 'It's only a alpha & it's only a beta excuse' goes right out the window now.

Because they can? Don't Starve isn't finished but you can still buy it and play it.

Thats actually a pre-order on Steam with a release date in 2013. Steam doesn't sell betas, there is a difference between giving access to a beta.

Derrick01

Banned
Pretty sad at how many are buying this and how many even on here said they will after all this, even if what the mod said was false there's everything else. Just play DayZ and forget this pile of shit.

dLMN8R

Fun fact... DayZ stand alone is also going to be released as an "alpha". At least according to their own blogs. They plan on adding full content for at least a year after launch.

I don't see the problem with releasing games like that on steam as long as it's clearly noted on the main page or something like that.

At least Rocket isn't lying about his product and leeching off of the misrepresented expectations.

How the fuck does a game like this end up on Steam in this shape? Especially with Greenlight out there?

DTKT

I called this shit when they first announced it. It's always had a shady vibe quick cash in vibe.

Btw has there been any news on the standalone dayz release date?

Was supposed to be an announcement last week but it seems pretty obvious that Rocket is a bit over his head for the moment. It probably won't be released during December.

At least Rocket isn't lying about his product and leeching off of the misrepresented expectations.

How the fuck does a game like this end up on Steam in this shape? Especially with Greenlight out there?

They already have WarInc on Steam. It's a terrible F2P game but it gives them some kind of leverage to get another game on the service? At the very least, I guess it helps.

Portugeezer

Apparently its out of alpha and beta now, hence why its being sold on Steam. So this is the real deal baby, so the 'It's only a alpha & it's only a beta excuse' goes right out the window now.

Pretty much, the term Alpha/beta is just semantics at the end of the day they can release the game any way they want. It's clear they skipped a few steps though.

Problem isn't just that the game sucks, many games suck, it's the lies on the store page which is bad and is misguiding purchasers. The false banning for no reason. The laughable hacks and protection.

It's a scam, no other way to look at it.

Because they can? Don't Starve isn't finished but you can still buy it and play it.
The difference is the Don't Starve store page says Pre-Purchase. It clearly has a release date listed as some time in the future. And they're clear that what you get access to now is the beta. Nothing like that appears on the pages for War Z.

Pretty sad at how many are buying this and how many even on here said they will after all this, even if what the mod said was false there's everything else. Just play DayZ and forget this pile of shit.

It's weird it's like a warning sign right in front of your eyes and people are still going forward...it's like horror movie logic happening in reality..going towards the loud noise.

It's weird it's like a warning sign right in front of your eyes and people are still going forward...it's like horror movie logic happening in reality..going towards the loud noise.

Some people just don't care about $15... and I can't blame them if they don't have any sort of limit on their entertainment budgets. $15 isn't a lot in the long run... I however do have a very limited entertainment budget so...

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm surprised that people thought this thing is anything but shady and misleading. It was obvious from the start.

Gamers are too naive.

Jharp

I had just transferred money into my account to buy this before deciding "maybe I'll google some early first impressions," and after not finding any, came to GAF to find this thread.

Thanks, GAF. I nearly pissed away fifteen bucks I could have spent elsewhere.

Dibbz

Anyone who bought this deserves to get conned. I hope they do close down the servers and stop development but they will probably wait for Dayz standalone to come out and get some more clueless people to buy there piece of shit and then close after.

Grief.exe

Rocket is a pretty respectable dude.

Man, reading that Steam thread that's linked, I'm getting Secret World. I was on the fence about that game. But seeing it mentioned, and seeing some solid reviews about it, I'm there. Thanks WarZ :)

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Yeah, I'm looking forward to jumping back in with my DayZ-GAF bros.

I haven't played with the core neogaf group in awhile but it's
freaking fun as hell!

Rocket is supposed to be giving an update on the standalone soon.
I suspect they'll miss the launch this month. And that's fine with
me. I'd rather he and the team take their time. My main
concern is getting systems in place that will prevent the
widespread hacking.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Is the game even enjoyable? I got my finger on the purchase button, but I am wondering now thanks to the GAF thread.

I liked it alot, it's just brutal lol.I was gonna reply to the OP but i don't feel like it lol.

it's work in progress thats for sure, but I like it.

I tried dayz but I couldn't get into it, I need to wait till the standalone to come out.

antitrop

Yeah me too (but then again he pretty much shits on every single games lol).
Nah, he's actually been fairly positive the last six months or so. Almost every WTF is... I've watched of his recently has been praising the game in question.

You know... except for Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Is the game even enjoyable? I got my finger on the purchase button, but I am wondering now thanks to the GAF thread.

It's a shallow and heartless wannabe Dayz. There is barely any tension compared to Dayz. I thought it was pretty bad overall. Plus this whole nonsense with the devs.

Megasoum

Banned
Nah, he's actually been fairly positive the last six months or so. Almost every WTF is... I've watched of his recently has been praising the game in question.

You know... except for Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Yeah I dunno, I ended up unsubscribing from his channel on youtube because I was tired of him always finding the most ridiculously nitpicky thing to bitch about in every videos.

Anyway it's still intesting since he cover smaller/indie games that are not always covered by the bigger sites but anyway, I'll stop derailling the thread and watch the WTF tomorrow heh...

Oh yeah and fuck MOH lol

antitrop

Why not just wait for DayZ standalone? We know it'll be leagues better.
As we've seen in this thread, there are actually people buying this thinking that it IS DayZ standalone.

This game still has the top sales spot on Steam. What a shame. Dead in six months?

Top Bottom