• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The War Z: shady, misleading and false advertising.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is this game really that bad? Steam forums just to be really getting trolled and shilled... hard to take anything out of it.

I'm not sure how much hope I have for DayZ standalone, as I didn't really agree with some of the choices they made in the DayZ mod.

Smash88

Banned
I'm staying far away from this garbage.

Apparently they have no anti-hack system, and use some sort of if hackers pick up these items that are hidden inside a wall, they are flagged for banning. Many innocent people are banned. Many people are banned anyways, if they put too much time, so they get them to buy it again. The devs are shady, the game is shady and a DayZ knock off. They just reused assests from another game they were making to hop on the hype train for easy money.

I'm staying far away from this cesspool.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I liked it alot, it's just brutal lol.I was gonna reply to the OP but i don't feel like it lol.

it's work in progress thats for sure, but I like it.

I tried dayz but I couldn't get into it, I need to wait till the standalone to come out.

I'm gonna give you my honest opinion. WarZ has come along and capitalized terribly on a the DayZ mod that really has something going for it. WarZ played like it was a little more focused with the shooting and all that but it lacked all the good stuff that drew me to DayZ. Combine that with all this stuff brought in this thread and any excitement I had is gone. I don't think I will ever get this and will wait for the real deal in the DayZ standalone.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hilarious...

This game always came across as so goddamn shady to me ever since the announcement. Like they were just bullshitting as much as they good to try and get money while people still cared about DayZ.

Ugly stuff.

Mahonay

Banned
The funniest (if you want to call it that) part about all of this is just how blatantly sleazy they've been about all of this.

The events went roughly as follows;

- After seeing success of DayZ, quickly, and sloppily, slap together a game to capitalized on it. The game is built from pieces of your already existing shitty F2P game (The WarInc). Said new zombie survival game contains features that heavily resemble those existing in the DayZ mod.

- Name the game WarZ to create brand confusion. Make baseless claim it's been in development for 2 years already, before the DayZ Arma II mod.

- Release an "alpha" that players can purchase, standing behind a "Minecraft model". The exact plan laid out by Rocket for the upcoming DayZ standalone.

- Make almost no meaningful changes to your "alpha", aside from things like unlocking the rest of the ONLY map, and "patches" that very slowly fix the broken mess of a game.

- Hacking immediately becomes rampant. The anti-hacking measurements put in place are laughable and ineffective.

- Release game on Steam as full product, with no mention of "alpha" or even "beta". Claim long list of game features that don't exist, along with false screenshots.

- Profit

I makes me sick to my stomach that they are gaining any kind of success off of this. This is one of the grosser things I've seen in the gaming industry since the likes of Zynga. It does not matter to me if the game is actually okay to play. Fuck WarZ, and fuck their complete lack of tact and general morality.

IceMarker

After all I've read about the developers behind this, I can't believe people are still buying it, let alone it getting on Steam!

Tash

If it's so super bad how the hell did it end up on steam in the first place? I know we tried to get an MMO I was working on on steam and it's freaking hard since they generally don't like MMOs and the project I am talking about had millions in funding behind it and looked better, had more features and a bigger team behind then War Z.

Also, I just listened to the IGN interview and the producer claims it's a mix between Left for Dead, Dead Island, DayZ and Minecraft. err wait what? 0_o

He basically just throws in random well known zombie games and Minecraft as a random high-profile name? Wth does Minecraft have to do with War Z other than the purchasable alpha?
Also, seeing how they change the name shortly after the Day Z success made me be VERY wary about the game in the first place. Never really considered buying it and never will.

eot

Banned
They have people on their team who worked on Big Rigs, so yeah, not big surprise. The sad thing is just that it's topping the Steam charts.

Manac0r

I got gifted this on Steam, and feel bad for my bro who purchased this with good intentions. If I contact Steam for a refund how would it work? I would be happy if they refunded his Steam wallet, wishful thinking?

DTKT

I got gifted this on Steam, and feel bad for my bro who purchased this with good intentions. If I contact Steam for a refund how would it work? I would be happy if they refunded his Steam wallet, wishful thinking?

I think that if you haven't accepted the gift, you can send it back to him. In that case, he can directly ask support for a refund.

You can go here : https://support.steampowered.com/ and create a support account. You can create a ticket after that.

they should refund everyone the price difference. The fact that people that bought it on alpha paid more than those who buy it once the game is in "out there" status is infuriating.

I have to disagree. Players are a 50/50 threat. Zombies in DayZ can and will fuck you up, and you are constantly terrified about making too much noise lest you end up running for dear life.

ugh. no. In dayz you can sit on a tree and the zombies will be like WUT happened? also the only reason why they are scary is collision errors and the fact you have bad mobility in dayz. Gotta admit at least that in warZ being chased by zombies is a true problem.

DTKT

It's the current #1 top seller. It made more revenue in the past 24 hours than 99 other games on Steam.

It's the current #1 top seller. It made more revenue in the past 24 hours than 99 other games on Steam.

Well Steam might be close to testing that arbitration/no class action lawsuit TOS now.

If customer service doesn't bite this in the butt, maybe there is a Steam Employee/GAFfer who will throw this up the food chain.

Currently the bad press is hurting Steam's image, way more then the profits they will take in for this silly game.

DTKT

Well Steam might be close to testing that arbitration/no class action lawsuit TOS now.

If customer service doesn't bite this in the butt, maybe there is a Steam Employee/GAFfer who will throw this up the food chain.

Currently the bad press is hurting Steam's image, way more then the profits they will take in for this silly game.

I don't think they really care about that stuff. How they handled Pinball games, some of the Wadjet Eye games just how that they don't want to be the curators. It's a bit of silly position.

We'll see if they grant refunds to those who ask.

eot

Banned
I don't think they really care about that stuff. How they handled Pinball games, some of the Wadjet Eye games just how that they don't want to be the curators. It's a bit of silly position.

If they don't want to be curators then why are they so selective about what games go on there? Most online stores are happy to sell whatever, digital shelf space isn't really an issue.

Geoff9920

I am genuinely surprised that the game is selling this well considering it's a barely functional alpha whose feature set is still largely unimplemented.

shandy706

"Guyz The War Z has been in development for over 2 years!!!"

facebookwarzibrln.jpg

Someone isn't very good at math.

(facepalm)

Geoff9920

We'll see if they grant refunds to those who ask.
On some level I can understand Valve's position considering just how many publishers/developers are on steam. That said they still have a responsibility to their customers using the Steam service. If I'm buying a game on Steam someone needs to be held responsible for when a game is misrepresenting itself as a product. Is it Valve? The game's publisher? The developer? In my opinion all of them should hold some level of responsibility when a game is completely misrepresenting itself.

Valve, you're a great developer and you've got a lot of amazing ideas, but you need to grow some balls and start defending your customers.

I am genuinely surprised that the game selling this well considering it's a barely functional alpha whose feature set is still largely unimplemented.
Well Steam gave me an update message on this and it's featured in the "now available" scrollable banner on the store. Getting some exposure and people probably mistake it for DayZ. If it weren't for GAF I might get the same impression myself.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I am genuinely surprised that the game selling this well considering it's a barely functional alpha whose feature set is still largely unimplemented.

I can't be surprised when there was some level of hype because mainly of the DayZ phenomenon. DayZ had used the ArmA II engine as its platform and even with the rough edges of the base game, the DayZ mod runs circles around WarZ (for me) at this time.

I've taken plenty of off time from DayZ but when I was full on, it was a blast. I shall be returning for the stand alone.

I thought it'd be just be the War Inc change, but man they went down so many avenues of misinformation it's ridiculous.

*grabs popcorn*

RyanDG

For those people who are concerned about the War Z confusing people with DayZ and Bohemia's potential stand alone product...

Type "DayZ" into Steam's search field and see what happens lol.

ekim

For those people who are concerned about the War Z confusing people with DayZ and Bohemia's potential stand alone product...

Type "DayZ" into Steam's search field and see what happens lol.

I get just ARMAII in the result.

RyanDG

I get just ARMAII in the result.

Wow!

It must have just changed. It's only giving me ARMA2 now (no WarZ) as well, but it literally only brought up WarZ five minutes ago (with no mention of ARMA2). I wonder if Steam does real time updates for their search engine algorithm.

Edit - Just tried it again and I am getting WarZ only (no ARMA2). Weird.

Edit 2 - I wonder if developers set their own tags for game submissions to look for when it comes to search engine results or if its handled by Steam in the back end somehow.

Edit 3 - LOL. It's the difference between typing "DayZ" which gives you ARMA2 and "dayz" which gives you WarZ only. Isn't that interesting?

ekim

Wow!

It must have just changed. It's only giving me ARMA2 now (no WarZ) as well, but it literally only brought up WarZ five minutes ago (with no mention of ARMA2). I wonder if Steam does real time updates for their search engine algorithm.

Edit - Just tried it again and I am getting WarZ only (no ARMA2). Weird.

mh... I only get ArmaII - tried several times. But I'm just searching in my browser not in Steam itself. It shouldn't make a difference though.

RyanDG

mh... I only get ArmaII - tried several times. But I'm just searching in my browser not in Steam itself. It shouldn't make a difference though.

Updated my post just a second ago. Try typing in "dayz" lower cased instead. I think developers handle their own search tags.

JambiBum

My friends and I have fun with this game. Maybe it's because we bought it knowing full well that it was in alpha/beta so we don't mind if there are bugs/hacking. Hell Day Z has plenty of hacking still going on as well. There are things that this game does better than Day Z and things that Day Z does better. Not saying that it is in beta on the steam page is shady as fuck though so I understand people being bothered with that. Other than that this game is a good place holder until the standalone for Day Z comes out. If the standalone ends up being great then I'll switch over to it, if not then I'll probably stay with War Z. I don't care if it copies Day Z or not. Plenty of games copy each other. I'll play whichever one I feel is the better game in the end.

Tash

I am genuinely surprised that the game is selling this well considering it's a barely functional alpha whose feature set is still largely unimplemented.

I am not. People read descriptions from the devs and the product page after something is featured. They don't really do any research.
It's simple power of exposure both in the media and on platforms. Combine this with the current Zombie hype and them cashing in on the Day Z hype and it's totally logical.

Still sad though and frustrates me incredibly. So many actually great games on steam without exposure.

Burekma

If it's so super bad how the hell did it end up on steam in the first place? I know we tried to get an MMO I was working on on steam and it's freaking hard since they generally don't like MMOs and the project I am talking about had millions in funding behind it and looked better, had more features and a bigger team behind then War Z.

If a game is popular enough (and War-z was very popular, since it's riding the Day-z hype), then it serves no purpose to put it on greenlight. It would get greenlighted in a couple days tops, and current sales prove it.

Derrick01

Banned

People are so incredibly fucking stupid anymore it's insane. We need to make it legal to take these people's money to prevent them from literally handing it to criminals.

Portugeezer

Any chance that steam will take down the thing?

Lol nope, the store page has been edited now, but still a lot of misinformation which is even worse now IMO seeing as Valve took the time to edit the page but left a lot of false information.

Top Bottom