• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The water crisis in Flint, Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP why can't you guys go back and get your water from DWSD? Seems like the majority of the city would want to do that.

Ambrose said the additional cost of buying water from Detroit -- $1 million a month -- is one reason not to revert to purchasing Lake Huron water from DWSD.

Secondly, the emergency manager said, the city no longer has a direct connection to the Detroit system after Flint sold a section of transmission pipe to Genesee County last year.
Source

So mostly financial matters. This was back in January though. With Snyder's new plan they're looking into going back to buying from Detroit.

Snyder: Flint may get reconnected to Detroit water system

I didn't know the hydrant was so old , but it was attached to the Brockovitch quote which... I should probably have edited the fluoride bit out of. It's not a fluoride issue.

But hey, nice to see other Flint Gaffers, haha.

Yeah it's over on Corunna road and is quite old =[

Also indeed. FLINT GAFFERS UNITE! First things we want is clean water and more art. MOAR ART.

WedgeX

Banned
Flint has ended its water crisis in the near term by reconnecting to Detroit's water system.

Detroit Free Press said:
The switch comes a day after Gov. Rick Snyder signed a bill authorizing $9.35 million to help Flint reconnect to the Detroit system. That came, in turn, in the wake of reports that water being pulled from the Flint River was making residents sick.

Flint cancelled its contract with the Detroit water system a year ago, saying water costs were too high. Local officials planned to connect with the Karegnondi system, but its facilities were not expected to be ready for Flint until sometime next year. In the meantime, Flint started pulling water from the Flint River, sparking complaints that the water was discolored and foul-smelling.

Damaniel

Banned
That's some nasty water! Also, fluoride has nothing to do with it, obviously. That lead level article is scary as fuck too, and will probably have ramifications for at least one generation of children is it's anywhere near as bad as the article implies.

Looking at their water prices though, I have to say that Portland gives them a run for their money. Water consumption here is only about $4 per 1000 gallons, but sewer charges add another $11(!) per 1000 gallons on top of that, thanks to an insanely expensive storm drain project the city has been working on for years. I pay more for water than I do for electricity most months!

So being that the lead levels are so high in children in Flint, we can assume that there will be huge future developmental/social problems with them. In this situation is it not possible that the affected parents/children (possibly all of them?) would be able to sue the city for negligence in causing irreversible harm? Was a private water utility involved in this?

smurfx

get some go again
So being that the lead levels are so high in children in Flint, we can assume that there will be huge future developmental/social problems with them. In this situation is it not possible that the affected parents/children (possibly all of them?) would be able to sue the city for negligence in causing irreversible harm? Was a private water utility involved in this?
they are suing the city.

Awesome so now a whole generation of children in Flint are going to experience development and learning disabilities because of this. The city and state government decided saving money was more important than the fucking health of its children, they knew for years how bad the water was and still went along.

People deserve to go to prison because of this, absolutely pathetic that this story isn't blowing up considering THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN are now going to suffer from ADHD and other problems in 5-10 years time.

Dennis

Banned
While this looks especially bad all American tap water taste like awful to me. Can never get used to the taste of chlorine.

While this looks especially bad all American tap water taste like awful to me. Can never get used to the taste of chlorine.

Most american city water tastes likes ass. Growing up in the country and then having to move into town was a huge shock for me how much worse the water was.

Flint River sounds like a swell place... yikes. That's some nasty stuff.

This video paints a really good picture on the situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olosI_Y0nkE

Save five million dollars in city funding to switch to a polluted river. Spend another 12 million to switch back. I could only imagine that the long term health problems that this will cause will be a lot more than 5 million dollars.

"If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back." -Homer Simpson

If it's yellow or kind of orange, it might be gasoline.

The water in my area isn't so great with its excessive chlorine but nothing on the horrible condition Flint has been in.

Thanks Dick Snyder.

Awesome so now a whole generation of children in Flint are going to experience development and learning disabilities because of this. The city and state government decided saving money was more important than the fucking health of its children, they knew for years how bad the water was and still went along.

People deserve to go to prison because of this, absolutely pathetic that this story isn't blowing up considering THOUSANDS OF CHILDREN are now going to suffer from ADHD and other problems in 5-10 years time.

This shit right here is what happens when you put the bottom line above people's health. Fucking assholes wanted to cut corners and now kids are going to suffer. Meanwhile we have assholes on tv saying shit like this should be unregulated.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm shocked that anyone is left in Flint. It looked post-apocalyptic in Roger & Me and that was 26 years ago.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
This was covered on rachel maddow last week and i cannot believe Snyder hasnt been tarred and festhered. This shit is just straight up evil.

PillarEN

How's the current situation? It's been over two months since this thread was created.
Had no idea that the people there had to pay so much for water which would have been crazy enough but the actual state of the water is beyond unsatisfactory.

tumblr_mgg0o5IcvZ1s1jv1ho1_400.gif

The Tropics won't be happy with this.

andthebeatgoeson

Save five million dollars in city funding to switch to a polluted river. Spend another 12 million to switch back. I could only imagine that the long term health problems that this will cause will be a lot more than 5 million dollars.
Then spend 100 million on lawsuits for kids with lead poisoning.

Allard

Here's a handy timeline updated to the current events!

New mayor declaring a state of emergency, lawsuits against governments, increased lead levels in the water still.

This is probably the worst part of this whole mess, they switched to a new water supply but supposedly the lead came from degraded lead soldering in pipes exposed by the corrosive water from the river ( which only occurred because they didn't change how they treated river water vs lake water which again was on the emergency manager at the time who screwed everything up by not consulting the people responsible for such things). This crisis isn't going to be fixed till they literally rip out and replace almost the entire water system in the city.

Indicate

I still have to get caught up with the situation in Flint, but this article caught my attention.

After Poisoning Entire City With Lead, Republicans Swiftly Vote To Gut Obama’s Clean Water Rule

It would seem inarguable that one of the government’s basic responsibilities is to set standards ensuring that people in the United States have safe drinking water. So in May 2015 when the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released its final version of the Clean Water Rule, “the agency cheered the broad reach of the rule, arguing that it would protect the drinking water of some 117 million Americans, or roughly a third of the population.”

But then along came Senator Joni Ernst (R-IA), who promptly introduced a resolution to kill the EPA’s Clean Water Rule that was passed in November – ostensibly to protect “farmers and ranchers”, who coincidentally only comprise two percent of the population. Yesterday, the Republican-led House similarly voted 253-166 for a resolution to overturn the EPA ruling. President Barack Obama has, all-along, threatened to veto the resolutions should they pass Congress.

They have no heart.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The sad part is a majority of the GOP would probably do this too in the same situation. A majority of these people should be in prison, not elected office

It's official! We're under a Federal State of Emergency now.

Legionnaire's Disease has been popping up in Flint, too. Fun stuff.

I was going to make a post about this a couple days ago but got distracted, shit's just getting worse.

It's still astounding how big of an idiot one has to be to think getting water from the Flint fucking River was ever a good idea after all the shit that's been dumped into it by the auto industry not to mention the standard anti-corrosive treatment for river water being ignored. I should wrap my head in foil because at some point one has to wonder if they wanted this to happen. Snyder and that city manager will never be held accountable for it either.

Slowly, corrupt and frighteningly un-empathetic politicians turn the US into the third world city by city. Like, how does anyone who allows this or knows the people allowing this get any sort of solace beyond just being monsters fine with poisoning the people they work for?

Was contemplating making a new thread about this consider over 8,657 children have been affected by the lead poisoning within the water.

Grover

Banned
what a shitshow, i would lose my mind if i had a child that got sick because a public official assured me drinking the water was fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom