• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDX

It would just be adding features to the GPU.

That doesn't sound like it will really impact the cost of the console.

It also doesn't sound like the WiiU was going to be outclassed.
As a matter of fact, it sounds like it will be difficult to determine how powerful each new console really is without knowing how feature rich their GPU is.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hopefully I get to pack away my wiimote for good. Lovely traditional dual stick upad, mmmMM.

The dual sticks don't look that traditional:
MLBMl.jpg

Smeags

I've been a member since April 2008 but haven't submitted a single post... until now.

Keep up the good shenanigans Nintendo-GAF. These Speculation Threads have been fun to follow. ^_~

Banned
I just got excited thinking about Nintendo in HD. Even if it's 360 owner, that's still cool!!

I want a new Yoshis Story looking game with realistic felt textures. Make Mario look like a plastic toy. Let's do this!

HylianTom

Banned
I just got excited thinking about Nintendo in HD. Even if it's 360 owner, that's still cool!!

I want a new Yoshis Story looking game with realistic felt textures. Make Mario look like a plastic toy. Let's do this!
It's a huge step. Many expected it, what, six years ago? So to say that anticipation has been building for a while is an understatement. All of those franchises in HD.. I'm psyched. :)

orioto

Good Art™
Why pay $4000, when you can buy a wiiU and do that on your current t.v.?

Indeed but i was thinking more about how WiiU's family feature will be perceived as new to people, if there are already ads on tv showing those features.

I know a tv won't replace a console anyway.

Christine

I'm hoping for multiple controller options. I don't want my gaming experience to be limited this coming gen.

Multiple controller options is the biggest source of my personal enthusiasm for Wii U as a system. Packing in an M+ remote makes M+ the new baseline for pointer/gesture control, the padlet is for touch gaming, asymmetric viewpoints, and extra input parallelism, and hopefully we'll get a sweet new iteration of a dual-analog pad as well. Any and every type of gameplay is possible with all these interfaces to choose from.

Linkhero1

Multiple controller options is the biggest source of my personal enthusiasm for Wii U as a system. Packing in an M+ remote makes M+ the new baseline for pointer/gesture control, the padlet is for touch gaming, asymmetric viewpoints, and extra input parallelism, and hopefully we'll get a sweet new iteration of a dual-analog pad as well. Any and every type of gameplay is possible with all these interfaces to choose from.

It's also up to the developer to implement multiple controller options. I just have a weird feeling that a lot will go for one or the other with the Wii U. Probably most will aim to use the DRC and ignore the wiimote unless multiplayer is involved.

It's also up to the developer to implement multiple controller options. I just have a weird feeling that a lot will go for one or the other with the Wii U. Probably most will aim to use the DRC and ignore the wiimote unless multiplayer is involved.

What I want is a few more multiplayer 3D shooters where we can decide to use a classic controller or remote/nunchuk. I prefer the latter, but my playmates wouldn't be caught dead with a remote in their hands, and there has been so far one game that we can play together with both options.

I feel that more of this would require, though, some sort of very easy to use API framework so devs don't have to do any heavy coding for it.

Linkhero1

What I want is a few more multiplayer 3D shooters where we can decide to use a classic controller or remote/nunchuk. I prefer the latter, but my playmates wouldn't be caught dead with a remote in their hands, and there has been so far one game that we can play together with both options.

I believe GoldenEye for the Wii had multiple controller options. I would like the same treatment for racing, sport, and wrestling games as well.

I feel that more of this would require, though, some sort of very easy to use API framework so devs don't have to do any heavy coding for it.
If anything Nintendo would probably be able to provide them with an easy to use API.

Indeed but i was thinking more about how WiiU's family feature will be perceived as new to people, if there are already ads on tv showing those features.

I know a tv won't replace a console anyway.

If this particular TV is phenomenally expensive, then this will be an advertisement that will cause interest in the feature itself, and consumers may clamor for a reasonably priced equivalent. This could actually be beneficial to Nintendo in a way.

orioto

Good Art™
If this particular TV is phenomenally expensive, then this will be an advertisement that will cause interest in the feature itself, and consumers may clamor for a reasonably priced equivalent. This could actually be beneficial to Nintendo in a way.

Now that's an answer, thx!

HylianTom

Banned
All new Viera TV, with home ultrasound equipment included!

That's what the vitality sensor was missing all along.
Ultrasound equipment included?

Man oh man.. I can see people deciding: buy this TV and with do-it-yourself "How to Read Ultrasound Images" book, or go to the doctor and get an appointment with the sonographer.

Tempting..

"Honey, umm.. you apparently have a very fatty liver."
*slap!*

Linkhero1

Correct, I was talking about GoldenEye. My friends have even hinted to me that I should bring it over again at some point.

*highfives*

I think it's the only multiplayer game other than SSBB and Tatsunoko vs Capcom that my brothers and I were heavily invested in for the Wii. We each liked our own style of play and I think Eurocom did a fantastic job.

How does it work exactly? Does it interface w/ existing smart phones/tablets via some app? Why not the DRC?

Edit: It does interface w/ existing devices. Perhaps a Viera remote app is in the works for Wii U? Would be very cool. I plan on buying a new Panasonic for some 1080p Wii U action.

HylianTom

Banned
I am.

I bought Graces for PS3 and Abyss for 3DS but haven't had time to start them because of school. I would love one for the Wii U.
If and when one does come, if it's anywhere near as good as Symphonia is, I'm going to be in a lot of trouble with friends, family, and work. This is one of the few non-first-party games where I'd consider taking time off from work..

No thanks, I prefer aiming with IR.

(edit: this was a jokey post, but I do consider IR a more useful feature than the advantage that the gyros add to general orientation detection on the Wii Remote, and it was a bit weird to see Nintendo try to use the latter for pointing after Sony started doing so with the Move)

Same here. Zelda TP pointer aiming is infinitely better and more accurate than the motion pointer controls in SS.

How does it work exactly? Does it interface w/ existing smart phones/tablets via some app? Why not the DRC?

I was thinking that it's an Android/iOS app, too. This means that Panasonic should be able to scale it down to even their cheap television sets, which could be an eventual danger to Nintendo's touting of the feature.

The way the Wii U does it, if my guessing is correct, is that swiping to the TV might use the IR transmitter to change the TV to its Wii U input while simultaneously having the console display the image. I mean, there has to be a reason why the DRC has a TV remote thingy embedded at the top.

Linkhero1

If and when one does come, if it's anywhere near as good as Symphonia is, I'm going to be in a lot of trouble with friends, family, and work. This is one of the few non-first-party games where I'd consider taking time off from work..

If anything it shouldn't distract you too much. Playing Vesperia taught me this. You'll still have a social life :p

Anyone else hoping for a Tales game to be announced at the Tales festival in June?
It's been far too long..

I'm ready for "Tales of Symphonia 2: The Actual Sequel".

*highfives*

I think it's the only multiplayer game other than SSBB and Tatsunoko vs Capcom that my brothers and I were heavily invested in for the Wii. We each liked our own style of play and I think Eurocom did a fantastic job.

For us, it's been Brawl, Kart, GoldenEye and TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. On the Xbox 360, it's pretty much a series of mostly terrible Wrasslers (All Stars being the exception when it comes to quality) that we play together.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Tiny, teeny little update on the Wii U trademark in the United States. The initial mark Wii U (85393173) and all other Wii U marks were today approved for publication in the USPTO's Official Gazette for Trademarks. The gazette for week #19 was published yesterday, so I assume this mark will be published for opposition next Tuesday.

Source: http://tdr.uspto.gov/search.action?sn=85393173

From the date of publication for opposition, any party who believes it may be damaged by registration of the mark has thirty days from the publication date to file either an opposition to registration or a request to extend the time to oppose. While the referenced trademark is registered under International Class 009 (which includes what Wii U is described as, "Consumer video game machines fitted with a camera function adapted for use with external display screen or monitor"), many other Wii U trademarks under other classes are also to be published for opposition. This gives "trademark trolls" many more opportunities to oppose the marks. We'll see what happens, the opposition period expires anyway on the 14th of June.

I hope that Star Fox rumour isn't true. I don't mind the game, I just rather have Retro work on something else. I did remember really enjoying Rogue Squadron on gamecube though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom