• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

Madden 2003 is still the best Madden title ever. Had a fantastic training mode and a great soundtrack. It's the only Madden title I own.

edit: damn guek. :(

Why? Whyyyyyyyyyy?

A new Pokemon Stadium game... online.. where you can gain Pokemon through NFC.

They should open up a second vault for the profits!

A LOT. Nintendo is going to blow their load completely.

Pikimin
NSMBWiiU
Retro's title
Moonlith Soft's title
Miyamoto's New IP
Eternal Darkness 2
Wii-U Sports
+
3-5 more

Think I'm being too optimistic? Look at what Iwata has been saying lately and look back at how many Nintendo projects we knew about when the 3DS came out.

Edit: holy shit @ Guek's post. He was a good poster, so sorry for laughing, but..... :lol.

My Nintendo press conference prediction:

Wii U games at E3 2012

- Pikmin 3 (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- Wii U Play (EAD, 2012/Launch)
- F-Zero (Monster Games, 2012/Launch)
- Star Fox (Retro Studios, 2013)
- Eternal Darkness 2 (Silicon Knights, 2013)
- Yoshi's Island (Good-Feel, 2013)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Grezzo, 2013)
- New Miyamoto/Koizumi IP (EAD Tokyo 2., 2013)

Wii U Games at E3 2012:

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U
- Retro Studios Game
- Zelda HD Collection
- Revived Franchise we haven't seen in a while
- Pikmin 3

Pokemon Battle Sim/RPG (like XD) is coming. It's going to have NFC functionality. It may look terrible (up-ported from a Wii game), but it's coming.

Anyway, my predictions.

Wii U Games at E3 2012:

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii U/Super Mario 4
- Retro Studios' Game
- Revived Franchise (StarTropics/Ice-Climbers/Balloon Fight/F-Zero/1080/Wave Rave/Eternal Darkness 2)
- Pikmin 3
- Monolith title (CG Only, a la Fire Emblem@E3 2006)
- 3D Mario (footage only)
- Endless Ocean 3/Excite Series game
- Mario Paint (SDP, eshop)
- Wii Sports-equivalent
-New character/story based game

(some of these may double up)

Third-Party Wii U Games at E3 2012:

- Assassin's Creed III
- Darksiders II
- Killer Freaks From Outer Space
- Bit. Trip. Runner 2
- Rayman Legends
- Ghost Recon
-Blops
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Other surprises

3DS Games at E3 2012:

- Zelda 3DS
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Paper Mario
- Animal Crossing
- Fire Emblem
- NSMB2
- Onitore
- Suprise 1st party title (Metroid, Kirby, DKCR, Rhythm Heaven, Yoshi, WarioWare, something new)
- At least one eshop title

Kangi

I think Kirby-related things for E3 due to the anniversary is almost a guarantee. 3DS game far more likely than Wii U game, though.

Sadly, I am no longer amazed at the Nintendo trolling/baiting that happens around here.
The best metaphor I can come-up with: the haters are like children in class, taunting a teacher, knowing that if the teacher responds too forcefully, the teacher will be punished.

Every day, in the vast majority of threads about the company, relentless.

Since I expect it, I enjoy the occasional debates I'll just get into randomly. I like engaging the different perspective.

Oh god please no.

banned.gif

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Prime 3 was fun though. But my point still stands. Unfortunately I hang around Nintendo threads too much and certain things get grating. I just hope there is more westen output under the Nintendo publishing label.

Your argument is weak though. Metroid Prime (2002) won plenty of game of the years and is one of the highest rating games ever (the highest rated GCN game as well). Metroid Prime 2, Corruption, and Donkey Kong Country Returns are all 90+ rated games. Retro has yet to make a game that isn't highly praised by fans and critics alike. Some people would even argue that DCKR is a better platforming effort then anything Nintendo themselves put out this generation. It sure as hell is a stronger title then their 2D platforming efforts. To say their are their are plenty of better western studios or that their are plenty of better western games compared to Corruption is the biggest hyperbole statement of the week.

The reason Retro's new title is so hyped here (outside of the above) is because (as you know) Iwata has repeatedly stated they are focusing on getting the western hardcore market back, and everybody and their grandma thinks Retro will be a part of that. Obviously most of us are western gamers, hence the insane hype.

Rambler

3DS Games at E3 2012:

- Zelda 3DS
- Luigi's Mansion 2
- Paper Mario
- Animal Crossing
- Fire Emblem
- NSMB2
- Onitore
- Suprise 1st party title (Metroid, DKCR, something else)
- At least one eshop title
I kinda doubt this one. They need to go back to the drawing board on pretty much everything, it's unlikely they have anything to show off at this point. If there even is anything to show off :/

Well you could be right, but it's possible if they push for it. If they expect a total of 10.5 million between the Wii and the Wii U, I find it hard to believe they will sell 6 million Wiis in that period. At max I expect 6-7 million Wii U sold if anything. Maybe if they price drop the Wii to $99, I can see it coming close.

7 million WiiU
3.5 million Wii

6 million WiiU
4.5 milliin Wii

how much did wii for the same time period last year. Those two numbers will probably be the scenario nintendo plans for. Heck maybe by the time the other two consoles arrive WiiU will be at over 10 million sold world wide and that will be a big elephant in the room when talking about porting multiplatform games to WiiU. if the durango and orbis only canibalise eachothers market for the first couple of years the WiiU will look better in comparison to the wii and the hd twins the first three years of the generation since it will be infront from day one and not just the beginning of the third year when it was too late for developers to bet on the winning horse.

HylianTom

Banned
Since I expect it, I enjoy the occasional debates I'll just get into randomly. I like engaging the different perspective.

Honest debate? Sure. I can see the appeal in that.

But I was speaking of an entirely different animal. There's debate, and there's something else we see all the time.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Your argument is weak though. Metroid Prime (2002) won plenty of game of the years and is one of the highest rating games ever (the highest rated GCN game as well). Metroid Prime 2, Corruption, and Donkey Kong Country Returns are all 90+ rated games. Retro has yet to make a game that isn't highly praised by fans and critics alike. Some people would even argue that DCKR is a better platforming effort then anything Nintendo themselves put out this generation. It sure as hell is a stronger title then their 2D platforming efforts. To say their are their are plenty of better western studios or that their are plenty of better western games compared to Corruption is the biggest hyperbole statement of the week.

What argument? I barely had a thesis. Just my personal opinion pragmatically and lazily presented. And I said 10 years clearly to discuss everything after Metroid Prime 1. Which you summon back in your defense force! But I play a lot of games, and I just don't find Retro Studios to be a developer I would put in my top list lately. Assassin's Creed. Batman Arkham. Mass Effect. God of War. Uncharted. Bioshock. Crysis 2. Red Dead Redemption. Grand Theft Auto. Gears of War. I could go on. The West has soo many talented studios. I am not dismissing Retro Studios as much as I am recognizing the immensity of the situation.

The reason Retro's new title is so hyped here (outside of the above) is because (as you know) Iwata has repeatedly stated they are focusing on getting the western hardcore market back, and everybody and their grandma thinks Retro will be a part of that. Obviously most of us are western gamers, hence the insane hype.

Damn son.

Just for the record, DKCR was my 2010 GOTY (until I got serious about speedrunning Meat Boy), so I guess it's a bit subjective if they've had any contenders recently.

It will be interesting though if Nintendo green lights anything that could turn into a trilogy or franchise from Retro. We would get to really see how their polish, design and overall quality stacks up today, as well as likely retaining a lot of the same staff throughout that time. That's sort of one reason I'd like to see a sequel to DKCR, to really see how they follow up and improve their efforts based on the earlier game as well as competitors' efforts.

Some people would even argue that DCKR is a better platforming effort then anything Nintendo themselves put out this generation. It sure as hell is a stronger title then their 2D platforming efforts.

Not sure about that but it can stand proudly next to those games.

As boring as New Super Mario Brothers Wii looks, it still has stellar(if not completely original---copied from itself though), intelligent and elegant level design.

ffdgh

ahh the blue coins...took me years to find them all without the internet or any type of blue coin collection chart =/

This. Retro is Nintendo's A tier US studio and they've yet to release anything other than an excellent title.

Really hope they're beefing up their western development capacity significantly though. Rare had 500 employees iirc when they were sold. Regardless of whether that sale was the greatest troll in video game history that man power capacity has never been replaced. As far as I'm concerned Nintendo needs 3-4 more Retro sized western companies to make up for the loss, which they have yet to really accomplish.

I'm aware of the huge amount of hiring they' doing in Japan but it's not really the same thing.

Wait... GCN trigger was not digital? I remember it was squishy, but it clicked, the squishiness felt like it was for nothing.

Yup, it's analog, with a satisfying digital click.

Analog is famously used in Smash Melee (hold it down a little bit to have a bigger shield) but it's also used to control Mario's stream, or in F-Zero GX to drift left/right.

japtor

Madden 2003 is still the best Madden title ever. Had a fantastic training mode and a great soundtrack. It's the only Madden title I own.
I loved those Maddens just cause you could stick any player anywhere. Charlie Garner was doing wildcat before it was a thing, Rich Gannon was a monster fullback and linebacker.
I'm not saying that Sunshine is bad (it's not), but I don't want another one. I'm not interested in seeing that setting again.
How about Super Mario World 3? (or did they use that name for Yoshi's Island 2?)
Wait... GCN trigger was not digital? I remember it was squishy, but it clicked, the squishiness felt like it was for nothing.
Analog plus the digital click at the end.

As the others say, yup. The reason why it clicks at the end is so that, in a racing game for example, how much you press the button controls your throttle, but clicking at the end can be like an afterburner or overdrive.

how much water does that take?

I remember that strange Wii contest from a Radio Station that people had to drink lots of water the one who could drink the most would win the Wii, a mother died for this

FUCK, why did you remind me of this? :'(

I believe Dimensions was one of the games Sega recently canned along with a new JSR.

Did you actually see evidence of that, or did you just speculate this?

Why would Sega can a Sonic game on a Nintendo platform when they sell so well and as Sonic is one of their main focuses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom