• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has Bethseda commented on the Wii U at all? I'm hoping that Fallout 4, when it's announced sometime in the future, comes to the Wii U. I think it's the only third party title I really care about at the moment. I'm replaying through New Vegas right now and I can see so much being done on the Wii U Controller. A pipboy on my subscreen would be amazing.
I've said the same thing many a times. Seems like a natural fit.

Kojima, FromSoft, Square. Only 3 companies I hope fully support the wiiU with their next games (or in Kojima's case, next next game since he might be too far along in his current one).

If the Darksiders story about relative ease of porting is true, then I will look pretty dimly at anyone who uses the "our project was already in motion" excuse.

Linkhero1

My like for THQ will depend on what they bring to the U. If I had to go by last generation {*..looks at Wii releases, looks at PS360 releases..*}, I wouldn't care one bit. But this generation's start looks a bit more promising with Darksiders 2 as a headliner title. If they can keep-up the non-crap releases, I'd like to see 'em stick around.

I don't have any interest in their other ips at the moment. I just need to see a confirmation of a Saints Row game on the Wii U and I will be happy. My wiimote turning into a pimp stick would be awesome.

H6Nxn.gif

I've said the same thing many a times. Seems like a natural fit.

It would be amazing. If they don't do it then I'll be disappointed.

If the Darksiders story about relative ease of porting is true, then I will look pretty dimly at anyone who uses the "our project was already in motion" excuse.
maybe their engine was easy to port but perhaps kojimas fox engine would take a level of modification. Guess we'll see at E3, still a chance for surprise though unlikely.

Has Bethseda commented on the Wii U at all? I'm hoping that Fallout 4, when it's announced sometime in the future, comes to the Wii U. I think it's the only third party title I really care about at the moment. I'm replaying through New Vegas right now and I can see so much being done on the Wii U Controller. A pipboy on my subscreen would be amazing.

Yeah the Fallout games seem like a natural fit for the Wii U. Bethesda hasn't said anything from what I remember but my guess is that they have done little to no work on Fallout 4 as they just finished Skyrim and have been busy patching as well as developing DLC. My fear is that they barely put any effort into the PS3 versions of their games and they will just shrug off the U. They have at least one copy sold here if they decide to put their next game on the U.

Oddduck

The weird thing about THQ is they did try to make a few exclusive IP's for Wii that didn't suck, and got good reviews.

IGN gave Deadly Creatures an 8 out of 10.

de Blob received favourable reviews overall. IGN called it "one of the best third-party efforts to come over to Wii in a long time."

256px-Deadly_Creatures.jpg

De-Blob-US.jpg

Both were only on Wii, and not on 360/PS3. Although De blob 2 did go multi platform.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Deadly Creatures was awesome. The atmosphere/presentation were amazing, and the combat was fun too. To bad it was so short....

Linkhero1

Yeah the Fallout games seem like a natural fit for the Wii U. Bethesda hasn't said anything from what I remember but my guess is that they have done little to no work on Fallout 4 as they just finished Skyrim and have been busy patching as well as developing DLC. My fear is that they barely put any effort into the PS3 versions of their games and they will just shrug off the U. They have at least one copy sold here if they decide to put their next game on the U.

From my understanding it's that when they ported their games to PS3, the architecture was harder for them to work with since the memory pool was split in half. I believe they had 256 MB of System Ram and 256 MB for Video. In the 360's case, it was just 512 MB of Ram.

Now I'm not too sure on the specifics (maybe someone else can clarify), but they had issues with the split memory pool causing all the problems we see on the PS3. Could they have put in more effort? Yeah, they could have. I think it was more laziness to work with the PS3 architecture than lack of effort. Since the Wii U has been hinted at being above 1 GB of ram, I don't think they should have a problem porting their title over to the Wii U.

HylianTom

Banned
Even though I absolutely adore Bethesda's Elder Scrolls games, I've never held much hope for those games coming to a Nintendo platform. Their comments whenever asked about the possibility seemed very coded to me, as though they were saying "fat chance."

No biggie though - to me, their games are mainly at their best when they have mods attached.

boyshine

Speaking of THQ and Nintendo, does anyone know how they came in as publisher for Conker’s Bad Fur Day? I don’t remember the dates here, but wasn’t Rare 50% owned by Nintendo still at this time?

conker_bad_fur_day.jpg

Linkhero1

Even though I absolutely adore Bethesda's Elder Scrolls games, I've never held much hope for those games coming to a Nintendo platform. Their comments whenever asked about the possibility seemed very coded to me, as though they were saying "fat chance."

No biggie though - to me, their games are mainly at their best when they have mods attached.

I can see why they might have said it in regards to the Wii, but as far as I know they haven't made comments about the Wii U. You can't count them out just yet. I'm hoping they do mention whether or not they plan on supporting the Wii U. If not then it looks like I have to buy the Xbox 3 to enjoy Fallout 4.

Speaking of THQ and Nintendo, does anyone know how they came in as publisher for Conker’s Bad Fur Day? I don’t remember the dates here, but wasn’t Rare 50% owned by Nintendo still at this time?

conker_bad_fur_day.jpg

I think Nintendo published it in America.

Edit: NVM. Rare published it here.

THQ going under would really, really suck the big one. They have a bunch of really talented studios that'd be at risk if it happened. Relic in particular would really ruin my day. I've been a huge fan of theirs since the Homeworld days.

Plus you have Vigil, Volition, 4A games...

I'd be a pretty tremendous blow to the industry if they weren't around. Hopefully they get their shit together or somebody non-crappy snatches them up before things get too dire.

HylianTom

Banned
I wonder how far down the rabbit hole we have to go before everyone stops and re-evaluates/reinvents their business models. How much industry contraction, how many big publishers gone, how many big franchises dead forever, etc?

I think Darksiders isn't that great. I find it to be a bit bland. Not sure if that's the right word, but the whole art style does nothing for me. Not bad, just don't think it's anything to write home about.

I look at the concept art and I go damn looks sick, then I play the actual game and it's just a bit :/

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well at least give a chance to II, because it's going to be quite a bit different. (System-wise, not the artstyle, which I think is great!)

I thought we could be friends, man!

PC for Bethesda's stuff, all the way. Skyrim PC is by far and away the best version thanks to the modding community and I have no expectation of that changing. Ever.

Linkhero1

Volition is going to be fine - they will be bought by a publisher. Hopefully not EA or Actishizzle

If anything, EA and Activision will probably the first to jump at getting their hands on Volition. The talent doesn't have to stay, but it would be horrible if that were to happen.

Well at least give a chance the II, because it's going to be quite a bit different. (System-wise, not the artstyle, which I think is great!)

the game is a jack of all trades but a master at none. I feel like it takes elements from many other games (god of war, assassins creed, zelda, etc...) but doesn't do any of them particularly as good as those titles do them. So it all just seems a tad off for me.

Guess I'll see how it turns out. I've said this before but there are so many GREAT games out there, that as sad as it is to say, I don't have a lot of time for games that are just "good". Until their 15 bucks a year later at least :p

HylianTom

Banned
PC for Bethesda's stuff, all the way. Skyrim PC is by far and away the best version thanks to the modding community and I have no expectation of that changing. Ever.
Yup! I'll be playing Morrowind and Oblivion and Skyrim for decades because of mods. They expand the life of these games almost infinitely.

Well at least give a chance to II, because it's going to be quite a bit different. (System-wise, not the artstyle, which I think is great!)

Personally I lked the first Darksiders quite a bit. Having an always on map in games like this is a huge bonus so yeah, Wii U all the way. Darksiders might be a B team Zelda title but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Basically any game with an open world like this I'm pretty much guaranteed to prefer on Wii U if it releases there.

Yup! I'll be playing Morrowind and Oblivion and Skyrim for decades because of mods. They expand the life of these games almost infinitely.

Doesn't hurt that people figure out workarounds for Bethesda's buggy as heck code in relatively short order and they have better graphics either.

11redder

conker_bad_fur_day.jpg

The grass is always greener and you don't know really know what it is you have until its gone :(

BD1

Banned

conker_bad_fur_day.jpg

THQ was the European publisher. RARE in the US.

Ultimately the game bombed big time, so Nintendo was wise not to pick up the tab.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

The character designs really don't appeal to me and from the top of my mind this is the only game I can think of that this is the case, so perhaps I should congratulate them. Basically the only appealing aspect of that cover is that it has purple in it.

Well, we got a potential supporter in SuperVillain Studios, the Order Up! folks:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/30120

Not only do they seemingly want to bring Order Up to Wii U (going by context on this one), but they DO want to revive the Wizard RPG (essentially brought to the interwebs attention by a certain someone AHEM) on Wii U which they got the rights to back to. And to look into a Wii U version of their new Tower Warts game as well.

I'd support a kickstarter for Wizard on Wii U retail. :)

THQ was the European publisher. RARE in the US.

Ultimately the game bombed big time, so Nintendo was wise not to pick up the tab.

Actually Nintendo published it in the US the "rare" that published it (and perfect dark too) was just a shell company 100% owned by Nintendo and the reason NOE didn't publish in Europe was because they couldn't be bothered to translate into multiple languages

Thanks for the reply(I'm on my smart phone, so I will reply to this smaller post), I still think they could push it over 600mhz, the reason I said 800 MHz was to reach the early rumors of a 1TFLOPs. It should be possible, given that the HD 7750 exists with a gcn core and being a desktop card with memory @55TDP granted it is only a 512 shader part which is why I've talked about the 1ghz 640sp 7770, give it to the embedded process and cut out gcn function, while cutting back on the Hz and it is possible under 50watts.

Right I understand that and if the GPU were going to be more traditional, I would be more inline with the notion of if being 1TFLOP. But a 1TFLOP GPU with the extra functions would pretty much put it on par (at least 1st party and 3rd party exclusives) with the PS4 and Xbox 3. That's one of the main reasons why we can eliminate that idea. I also don't see AMD making a non-GCN GPU at 28nm. Also it sounds like, and just being honest, you seem to be treating GCN differently than what it is. Like in this part you say "cut out gcn function". You can't cut out GCN function. That would be akin to saying "cut out the VLIW5 function". GCN is the architecture (e.g. the compute unit). GCN is just the name AMD gave to it. That might explain why you have been saying what you have in regard to PS4 and Xbox 3. They will be using compute units. There's really no arguing against that.

Btw I am also talking about a completely new gpu, and not just a cut down. And if an Xbox3 game runs at 1080p, both boxes have the same ram and Wii U gets to run at 720p, it would make up the difference, in fact a 1080p resolution as you know is closer to 2.25X the power needed.

Bench marks can actually prove what I'm saying, look at a 7870 and a 7770 their roughly what we are talking about, and the 7770 will do everything the 7870 does at 720p vs 1080p. We will have to wait and see but there won't be a large difference, it should literally be smaller than Xbox to ps2 thanks to having the same functionality.

But you're talking about something that nothing points to being in existence on Nintendo's side. Bringing up the 7770 is irrelevant because that is a 1Ghz GPU. The 2.25x refers to the pixels only. And considering Nintendo is relying on eDRAM, I expect the BW of Xbox 3's memory to be much larger even if they did end up with the same amount. The power gap won't be smaller than Xbox/PS2. A similar gap is the best scenario.

It's actually cheaper to go for high clockspeed + less shaders than low clockspeed + more shaders due to chip size costing more money than cooling and power supply, especially in the long run. I agree that GCN will probably be too big, but I'm not yet ruling out 512 SPUs based on VLIW4.

Someone brought up the HD7770 die size for comparison, but if Nintendo doesn't go GCN which does seem more likely at this point, the best comparison would be the RV740 chip. The HD7770 is 123mm^2 on 28nm, but the RV740 was just 137mm^2 on an older 40nm process. Shrunk down to 32nm the RV740 would be just 97mm^2 in size, indicating that a GPU with 640 traditional shaders should fit within the 100mm^2 envelope. Of course, the Nintendo design will be completely custom but the point is that AMD can fit a lot of VLIW5 (and VLIW4) shaders on a small area.

This is excellent for Nintendo because that cuts down costs. A 100mm^2 chip is less than half the size the original RSX was in the PS3 and actually quite comparable to what was in the GameCube (Flipper was 106mm^2 although that had big chunks of memory embedded). Furthermore, AMD has already demonstrated that these chips fit within the 50W power consumption envelope even on an older, less efficient 40nm process (the Mobility HD4830 and HD4860 consumed less than 50W).

It's not based on cost, but on trying to think like how Nintendo thinks (which helped on my earlier guesses). I don't see Nintendo pursuing a high-clocked GPU. That's not in their nature.

Can you tell me more about that?[/quote]

I think you disappeared on us for a moment during that time. But it originates from the third thread. Then a few days later a poster on B3D pretty much corroborated the idea.

My post that was at near the tail end of the discussion.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=36485259&#post36485259

Li Mu Bai's post.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1634440#post1634440

Agreed. There will have to be scaling back of IQ, although the gap between GPUs won't be generational.

Yep. It will be able to get next gen ports much easier than what we saw this gen.

HylianTom

Banned
The character designs really don't appeal to me and from the top of my mind this is the only game I can think of that this is the case, so perhaps I should congratulate them. Basically the only appealing aspect of that cover is that it has purple in it.
The characters do seem a bit on the bulky, Transformers-like side. But still, I'll most likely give it a try..

starmud

Look at Shin'en; they consist of maybe 5 folks, and they can pump out some serious shit with whatever hardware they're working on, surely they are as some would say the exception to the rule. I'd say that pretty much everything they make is profitable, because they don't have to worry about paying hundreds of people and they use their own tech IIRC. We're not worthy! :p

japan actually has a stable of studios and publishers that are small and know how to scale a project. they also have a home market that isn't so boxed into genre control with game development. the larger publishers in trouble have been chasing a more western idea of the market.

in the west everyone has been chasing two models: either huge budget titles that can sink you, but have a chance at a huge upswing.

then we have budgetware. garbage games that you spend effort making and try to use a name or cheap gimmick to sell. enough of the titles out at once to produce larger sales. small chance of getting the same upswing from a big budget game. the games are ridiculous shelf lives due to being cheap and accessible. its comparable to "as seen on tv" crap. a few western publishers like majesco have become great at this. i really see some, like ubi as a "smart" mix of the two.

its sad. every gen before now had multiple genres of games to run on. if a console wasn't well rounded, it was more niche and had offerings you couldn't get elsewhere. everyone wasn't hooked into one type of game idea, in creation and consuming. every genre got some type of representation. some would break out and be a fairly large success.

now we have either casual/social as a formula or bro games. its their own fault in the west for boxing themselves into this position. the lack of imagination or trying something new. its like hollywood with a huge difference. movies have "better" streams to monetize. games have an awful modern model and all the ideas to fix this seem to involve unfriendly methods of selling crap additions/ad ons or cutting usability.

at this point, digital/f2p is the only hope for any type of resurgence. it cuts some risk. you can exploit niche gamers and other genres with more confidence. shelf life is mute. its user friendly, instant and maybe can pull more types of people back to consoles by offering a large selection of game experiences (all the positives of iOS gaming).

im hopeful nintendo can make a system with this type of balance, tech to games. im not so hopeful about microsoft given their motives and what i want. sony is a mess. i want something that isn't going to be art/hipster game box 2.0, though i appreciate the fostering by sony into other genres.

Terrell

Generally speaking I think they should maintain their actual ultra stylized form.
It would be a nice upgrade and the possibility to dress them but then the overall aspect will be always game dependet.

A model such the one you posted can't be used in all games genres for technical issue I think... have you ever tried Kinect sport games in example? Have you seen what a "full body render" can bring to the surface? Crossed legs and arms in very unutural way depending on your movements.

Do what Nintendo does now: care about only the face and put whatever body they want on the games themselves. Or, y'know, do a better job at animating the characters than Rare did on Kinect Sports. There, problem solved.

Sega Saturn on Virtual Console? Y/N

No, the design architecture has caused proper Saturn emulation to elude us for the past 10-15 years, I don't expect that to change any time soon.

It's probably not going to happen, but why the "HELL no" on Saturn emulation on Wii U VC? You got something against Saturn? Have you looked at how functional Saturn emulators are lately?

And how many YEARS did that take, exactly?

I want third parties to make smarter choices this time around. If they don't, I'm not going to weep for them for very long.

Gamers collectively aren't helping, either, expecting financially unrealistic business models and whining when companies don't comply with those expectations.

Yeah... gamers want everything to be this big-budget affair, and not everything fits that model.

But some publishers seem to get it. The big one this gen seems to be WB Games. Do they have a bunch of releases? No, they don't. But the ones they DO have? Some of the best games in their genre this generation (Arkham Asylum/City, Mortal Kombat), not-embarassing licensed titles and also branching out into publishing titles that they haven't developed in-house with what appears to be a publishing partnership with Kadokawa Shoten, starting with Lollipop Chainsaw.

WB Games really should be applauded, they realized early that volume of releases means nothing when you're competing with SO many other games and publishers and the trick is to stay focus on a few big releases.

I wonder how far down the rabbit hole we have to go before everyone stops and re-evaluates/reinvents their business models. How much industry contraction, how many big publishers gone, how many big franchises dead forever, etc?

I said it somewhere, I don't remember where... but the problem is just how much control the publishers have over content and IP. They have a tighter grip on content than movie and TV studios do, and that alone is going to be what buries them. Movies and TV survived by having more flexible business practices (like only having IP ownership as long as you KEEP USING THE IP... seriously, the IP hostage situation with publishers is totally unacceptable).

Not to mention that creatives also get PAID more in movies and TV than their video game counterparts. We bitch about the quality of writing in games, but why would a quality writer work in the games industry when there's no money in it?!

No, the design architecture has caused proper Saturn emulation to elude us for the past 10-15 years, I don't expect that to change any time soon.

And how many YEARS did that take, exactly?

So I suppose all that progress is worthless? Sega and Nintendo could utilize all that advancement. As long as they can get a few games working 100%, that's all that matters anyway. They won't be selling the entire Saturn library, that's been made quite clear from the past.

Anyway, the question wasn't directed at everyone, I was asking why HE said "HELL no" to begin with. His reason wasn't because of emulator status but because he thinks the Saturn library would not be an asset worth having on Wii U. I think he's wrong, as the Saturn was relatively successful in Japan (as opposed to the crapstorm Bernie Stolar made it into domestically), and had a number of PlayStation-era titles the N64 never got (Tomb Raider and the original Resident Evil are two random examples) but whatever.

BlackJace

So I suppose all that progress is worthless? Sega and Nintendo could utilize all that advancement. As long as they can get a few games working 100%, that's all that matters anyway. They won't be selling the entire Saturn library, that's been made quite clear from the past.

Anyway, the question wasn't directed at everyone, I was asking why HE said "HELL no" to begin with. His reason wasn't because of emulator status but because he thinks the Saturn library would not be an asset worth having on Wii U. I think he's wrong, as the Saturn was relatively successful in Japan (as opposed to the crapstorm Bernie Stolar made it into domestically), and had a number of PlayStation-era titles the N64 never got (Tomb Raider and the original Resident Evil are two random examples) but whatever.

I mean you could've addressed me by calling me out man, I'm here. Anyways, not only do I not think that the Saturn titles wouldnt garner enough profit/interest, but also that because YES, the emulation process for the Saturn is cumbersome. I said I while ago that the whole process would require more effort than the titles are worth IMO.

HylianTom

Banned
Yeah... gamers want everything to be this big-budget affair, and not everything fits that model.

But some publishers seem to get it. The big one this gen seems to be WB Games. Do they have a bunch of releases? No, they don't. But the ones they DO have? Some of the best games in their genre this generation (Arkham Asylum/City, Mortal Kombat), not-embarassing licensed titles and also branching out into publishing titles that they haven't developed in-house with what appears to be a publishing partnership with Kadokawa Shoten, starting with Lollipop Chainsaw.

WB Games really should be applauded, they realized early that volume of releases means nothing when you're competing with SO many other games and publishers and the trick is to stay focus on a few big releases.
Batman is on my short list for must-buy games at launch. The idea of a licensed Batman game being a must-buy seems foreign to me, so WB definitely deserves applause for such a remarkable feat. I wish more studios would treat licensed property games more seriously; there are some universes and characters that would be fantastic for the bases of their own games.

Iwata gave a speech last year about the topic of "bloated" development budgets that kinda shocked me. (paraphrasing here, but: Not every game needs to be AAA. Or ultra-HD. It's the little details that make games great. Etc.) I mean, could you see any one of the other gaming division leaders making such comments? He definitely seems out-of-touch with much of the industry, core gamers, the media that reinforces these views, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a scenario where Nintendo fosters a "sane" development paradigm for themselves and whomever wants to come along with them in their own ecosystem is welcome - while the rest of the industry pushes for moremoremore and learns a hard lesson. The sooner, the better, because the sooner it's realized, the less we may end-up losing.

Terrell

Anyway, the question wasn't directed at everyone

The progress made by hardware emulators is irrelevant. You have a few factors to consider:

Virtual Console games are emulated on a per-game basis, meaning that you have to re-invent the wheel with every game you plan to emulate, as if it weren't hard enough to just worry about the hardware.

The other problem comes in that Sega actually LOST THE CODE for a good chunk of its Saturn releases. So in order to get per-game emulation going, they'd have to reverse-engineer a disc with the content on it.

If it were so simple, Sony and MS would have beat them to it.

You're better off hoping for Dreamcast emulation. Personally, I want Capcom to add CPS2 and CPS3 architecture games to the Virtual Console Arcade releases.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
There has been a few questionnaires about Wii U since E3 2011, some more openly communicated than others. While this is not exactly a questionnaire for Nintendo to see what the general conception of Wii U is, it's brought directly to students and teachers in grades 7-12: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/lessonplans/arts/jan-june12/nintendo_05-08.pdf

I do not know how many schools PBS reaches via this show, but I can assume the count is quite high. Though Nintendo certainly hasn't provided any greater details about the console for months, they really don't have to do much to raise awareness if PBS and other stations are doing the job for them.

These essays would be fun to have a look at, especially when it comes to the question "What do you think Nintendo should do to turn its sales around? Why?". Would certainly put a few other perspectives on the matter than what we so often see in these threads.

BD1

Banned
Iwata gave a speech last year about the topic of "bloated" development budgets that kinda shocked me. (paraphrasing here, but: Not every game needs to be AAA. Or ultra-HD. It's the little details that make games great. Etc.) I mean, could you see any one of the other gaming division leaders making such comments? He definitely seems out-of-touch with much of the industry, core gamers, the media that reinforces these views, etc.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a scenario where Nintendo fosters a "sane" development paradigm for themselves and whomever wants to come along with them in their own ecosystem is welcome - while the rest of the industry pushes for moremoremore and learns a hard lesson. The sooner, the better, because the sooner it's realized, the less we may end-up losing.

Yep. As the only platform holder that is 100% focused on video games (and probably the only platform holder in the future) they have a vested interest in keeping the entire industry viable. If game development costs drive the industry into the ground, well, Nintendo is fucked.

I'm with you, I'd like to see Nintendo seriously ramp up their efforts with smaller developers. Get in on the ground floor with very creative minds and nurture them along to a profitable business model, with some hooks that keep it advantageous to Nintendo.

The progress made by hardware emulators is irrelevant. You have a few factors to consider:

Virtual Console games are emulated on a per-game basis, meaning that you have to re-invent the wheel with every game you plan to emulate, as if it weren't hard enough to just worry about the hardware.

The other problem comes in that Sega actually LOST THE CODE for a good chunk of its Saturn releases. So in order to get per-game emulation going, they'd have to reverse-engineer a disc with the content on it.

If it were so simple, Sony and MS would have beat them to it.

You're better off hoping for Dreamcast emulation. Personally, I want Capcom to add CPS2 and CPS3 architecture games to the Virtual Console Arcade releases.
You are quite mistaken there. Virtual Console games are emulated on a per-system basis. It was only in the first 6 months or so that each game came with a full emulator - it was very obvious when it happened, because the download size of NES games went way down after a certain firmware update. Arcade games are still done on a per-game basis, but that's because each game is like a whole new system, each with its own hardware. And source code means nothing for emulation, otherwise how has all emulation by fans been done to this point? Including Saturn emulation?

Portugeezer

OMG I MUST HAVE IT NOW!

I'm pretty sure the "Saturn emulation Y/N" is a "do you want", in which case, hell yes. If it's "will we get", though, then most certainly not. I mean, the Saturn is home to tons of cult classics that would be awesome to see get more love, but realistically, I'm still not sure we've got the hardware to emulate it full-speed, and even if we did, I'm not sure either Sega or Nintendo would necessarily see the value proposition - even if it'd be free money once you get through all the hurdles of getting the emulation running correctly, those are some pretty big hurdles.

And losing the source code is of highly marginal importance to emulating the titles. It is of utmost importance to porting the titles, but emulation is based on the hardware, not the software.

It feels weird.

I caught up with this thread. Theres nothing else left to read since this thread suddenly died.

Come on people! Post stuff so I can read it!

I...need...some...speculation...NOW!!!!

Edit: I would want Saturn since I never played it. The more system and games VC has the better!

AGITΩ

Strangely enough, I had an E3 dream about a week ago.

I remember two things from the dream.

I remember seeing Mach Rider, but it was a girl behind the costume instead of a guy. She was driving through a dark futuristic grim planet world and chasing/attacking enemies with a machine gun and a chain as she was driving. She could leave her motorcycle for certain missions and fight enemies on foot with machine gun and chain. It had a very Blade Runner feel to the atmosphere and the world.

Everyone went nuts when this game was shown at the conference. It looked like the adult IP Nintendo had always needed. It got cheers as loud as Zelda: Twilight Princess did when it was first revealed which is weird because most people don't know what Mach Rider is. But the game looked like it was oozing with gritty surrealism and had a stylish art style. The game was developed by Platinum Games or Treasure. I forget.

The other part of the dream was a Donkey Kong Country game except it was done in the vein of DK64. The level was inside of a ruins/mines/pyramids type level with Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong trying to jump over traps and obstacles. I remember they were swinging on a rope over a large pit of snakes.
Wii U E3 Conference Dream Topic? I'm down with this. I also had a dream like the day after the Rayman Legends leak came about.
In this scenario, Nintendo announced a new Custom Robo game, that actually Packaged Custom Robos like Modelkits (Think Little Battlers/Danball Senki). You collect and Build your own Custom Robot IRL, place your custom build on to the Controller. Each piece (Arm, Legs, Chest) each had a NFC chip which it scans up and replicates the Robo in game. This could also work with Medabots (if they bring them back) but would prefer custom robo.
If they do this, my wallet will cry every paycheck.

There are already decent Saturn emulators out there, getting one to run on Wii-U shouldn't be a very big hurdle at all. Sega has used fan-made emulators before, so they could very well do it again.

For those who question if there are many Saturn games worth it, realize that there are a LOT more Saturn games out there than Dreamcast games. In fact, there are over 1000 Saturn games (though the US only got like 240 of them).

Redford

aka Cabbie
Traded in a bunch of 360 games and HDD, got $127.60. Not sure whether to put it into my WiiU fund or spring for a 3DS.

/blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom