• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

lednerg

I thought that Nintendo always developed their gaming assets in HD for all their Wii games before scaling them down or have I been misinformed?

More or less. Typically, objects are designed and modeled with splines and are later turned into low-poly meshes when it comes time to put them into a game. The spline models would still be available if they wanted to make high-poly meshes out of them later on. Same goes for textures, which start life as high-res drawings and are then scaled down to fit into the game.

HylianTom

Banned
While I believe NoJ will produce some pretty sweet looking games I remain constant in belief that they will struggle to produce titles anywhere near as efficiently as teams like Naughty Dog have.

Japanese management man. It just doesn't work on HD development. Even Capcom, one of the exceptions, takes upwards of 3 years to develop titles that aren't Monster Hunter or fighters.

Let's hope Nintendo outsource like cray.
Well, they are building new development space (a rather large building.. there were pics of the construction site location earlier in this thread, I think), and they've gone on a recent hiring spree. I'm hoping that these are good signs to this end. I'd love to see Nintendo able to output more good games than ever before. The more they're able to establish an ecosystem independent from an industry that sometimes looks downright suicidal with its business chosen models, the better.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It was interactive, which strongly insinuates that it is rendered in real time. Rotating the controller controlled the camera on the subscreen. However, Nintendo's "street view" demo worked in a similar fashion, and it was not rendered in real time. I'll take a closer look at the floor videos to see if the interactivity is limited to camera control or if there's more to it.

you had to press 'b' to continue whenever the bird landed, also when at the fish part. There was one YouTube of this at the pond, where you could see the fish animation routine cycle severl times before the player hit b to continue.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that 3D Land is the most bland 3D mario ever made.

HylianTom

Banned
Are there any rumors pertaining to the moving of purchased Virtual Console and WiiWare games to the Wii U?
None so far.

Surely they have to know there'd be a hellstorm of bad coverage and fan backlash if they did the unspeakable on this issue.. right? Surely they can't be that tone-deaf?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
None so far.

Surely they have to know there'd be a hellstorm of bad coverage and fan backlash if they did the unspeakable on this issue.. right? Surely they can't be that tone-deaf?
It wouldn't be pretty.
I think they'll come through with a Wii channel that sends information about your purchases to Nintendo and allows you to link them to your Wii U account.

Hahaha, I know. I'm usually not a Mario critic, but I was pretty disappointed by the game. I still don't see how it was technically great, considering most areas of the game were in a very condensed space. It's easy to make something look great if it's in a very small area.

But I'm not really a techie by any means, so I don't exactly know what I'm talking about.

I thought 3D land started a bit iffy, but as I continued to play I loved it more and more, the post game stages cemented it. Only wish it was a bit longer.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Ugh, I know. HD Pikmin could really be a beautiful showcase for Wii U's graphical muscle, but the cold fact that this was almost finished as a Wii game makes it less likely. Here's hoping, though.

AFAIK, everything we know about Pikmin has come from Miyamoto's mouth. And if you haven't noticed by now, he's a bit of a bullshitter.

None so far.

(BTW.. by any chance are you RMC's MomBrain?) :)

Have we speculated on how it would even work? Nintendo club wasnt around at the start and didnt track what i am sure are the majority of the purchases the first 3 years. I guess having both hooked up to the tv and switching inputs, opening a special transfer channel on the wii and U, and letting it go from there like the DSi to 3DS. But that sounds a bit to clunky for a home console.

Linkhero1

More or less. Typically, objects are designed and modeled with splines and are later turned into low-poly meshes when it comes time to put them into a game. The spline models would still be available if they wanted to make high-poly meshes out of them later on. Same goes for textures, which start life as high-res drawings and are then scaled down to fit into the game.

I feel as if we'll be seeing some "HD" version of their Wii games if this is the case. I wouldn't mind as long as they don't put too much effort into them.

HylianTom

Banned
So.. I learned in another thread: journalists are already arriving in LA for pre-E3 festivities. Seems early to me, but apparently it's true: they're being given exposure to titles that'll be shown-off at E3. They do this early so that they can issue their "Best of E3" decisions, apparently.

Looks like BurntPork's prediction of leaks may not be so far off?

volpone

Banned
Well, they are building new development space (a rather large building.. there were pics of the construction site location earlier in this thread, I think), and they've gone on a recent hiring spree. I'm hoping that these are good signs to this end. I'd love to see Nintendo able to output more good games than ever before. The more they're able to establish an ecosystem independent from an industry that sometimes looks downright suicidal with its business chosen models, the better.

That new R&D building isn't going to be finished until early 2013. So the benefits of that expansion won't be felt until 2014 at the earliest.

With concurrent development on titles for both the 3DS and Wii U beginning to occur I remain sceptical. We've been burned with droughts and delays plenty of times in the past.

So.. I learned in another thread: journalists are already arriving in LA for pre-E3 festivities. Seems early to me, but apparently it's true: they're being given exposure to titles that'll be shown-off at E3. They do this early so that they can issue their "Best of E3" decisions, apparently.

No leaks. Especially nothing Wii U related. Nothing is leaking from that. DO NOT BELIEVE.

Even Nintendo first party games???

no way in hell

HylianTom

Banned
No leaks. Especially nothing Wii U related. Nothing is leaking from that. DO NOT BELIEVE.
I was just about to post some choice quotes from you yourself on this, haha!

Everyone there will sign like a million non-disclosure agreements so shit stays under wraps. Also, they only have like respected dudes on the judges panel (such as, er, Geoff and Jeff), guys who know the biz and aren't going to go renegade now.

And Nintendo don't do judges week. ...I think. Generally, I believe it's already announced games anyway.

So don't believe, folks. False alarm! We've gotta wait the full 5xx hours left!

SML3D was my GOTY last year and is on the same level as the Galaxies, if not better.

To me, it was a combination of the first Super Mario Brothers and a dumbed down version of Galaxy.

By dumbed down, I don't mean that as an insult but rather it had level design like that without the flash and creativity.

But borrowing from the best is no crime, especially when the best is your own.

Really good game.

This is pretty common.
It's how IGN knew about DKCR.

I was just about to post some choice quotes from you yourself on this, haha!

So don't believe, folks. False alarm! We've gotta wait the full 5xx hours left!

I assumed everyone was familiar with judges week stuff, haha. Didn't want to panic anyone :lol

It reminds me though, Nintendo are still madly in love with E3 as a PR thing and it's great. Activision and Rockstar- industry giants- have basically pulled out forever, barring CoD demos at the MSCONF, more and more publishers are using VGAs, Game Informer exclusives and private events for game reveals, many publishers use the build-up for the show as much as the show itself... but Nintendo still love E3 week. They hold everything for that, no-one gets a look-in before then.

It's cool. Nostalgic, even. It'd be a fucking nightmare if everyone loved E3 so much still, but as it is it's sweet that Nintendo still waits for the event to blow its load.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
As much as I loved SM3DL, I still thought the two Galaxy games were way better. It's my personal GOTY on the 3DS.

Maybe, but IMO if you take away all the flash/spectacle along with the nostalgic awesomeness and amazing soundtrack (bare with me here), I think SML3D is a better overall platformer.

HylianTom

Banned
That new R&D building isn't going to be finished until early 2013. So the benefits of that expansion won't be felt until 2014 at the earliest.

With concurrent development on titles for both the 3DS and Wii U beginning to occur I remain sceptical. We've been burned with droughts and delays plenty of times in the past.
That sucks!

I'm a bit concerned on the issue of increased development times that come with higher tech components. I'm not 100% confident that Nintendo has learned how to time their releases a bit more smartly to avoid that kind of situation.

Hell, the skeptical part of me thinks that they don't care too much, seeing as how much of what they release is so evergreen. For many of the games they make, the longer a title is out, the better it keeps on selling and selling.. so they'd have an incentive to get everything of this nature out ASAP. Good for them, but bad for us. Harumph!
(yep - I just "harumph'd" at Nintendo! Ha!)

Maybe, but IMO if you take away all the flash/spectacle along with the nostalgic awesome and amazing soundtrack (bare with me here), I think SML3D is a better overall platformer.

The Galaxy games just had much more variety in design though for me.

You were doing something new every area.

You could argue that about 3D Land but they were mostly concepts we were familiar with.

Then again, maybe if they had all the fanciness, it would have given them the guise of being completely fresh, not sure.

HylianTom

Banned
I assumed everyone was familiar with judges week stuff, haha. Didn't want to panic anyone :lol

It reminds me though, Nintendo are still madly in love with E3 as a PR thing and it's great. Activision and Rockstar- industry giants- have basically pulled out forever, barring CoD demos at the MSCONF, more and more publishers are using VGAs, Game Informer exclusives and private events for game reveals, many publishers use the build-up for the show as much as the show itself... but Nintendo still love E3 week. They hold everything for that, no-one gets a look-in before then.

It's cool. Nostalgic, even. It'd be a fucking nightmare if everyone loved E3 so much still, but as it is it's sweet that Nintendo still waits for the event to blow its load.
Agree. I really appreciate their apparent understanding that there are millions of us out here who love the drama of a good show, the rush of a shocking reveal, etc. This is like waiting for Santa and truly not kowing what he's going to get you; it's the closest thing that we gaming adults have to that old childlike sensation, I think.

Linkhero1

Maybe, but IMO if you take away all the flash/spectacle along with the nostalgic awesomeness and amazing soundtrack (bare with me here), I think SML3D is a better overall platformer.

You could argue that about 3D Land but they were mostly concepts we were familiar with.

Then again, maybe if they had all the fanciness, it would have given them the guise of being completely fresh, not sure.

Pretty much what Mr. Poo said.

The only thing that bothered me about SM3DL was collecting three coins. I'm pretty OCD about it and I can't move onto the next stage until I get the coins in the previous stage. Other than that I was fine with everything else.

you had to press 'b' to continue whenever the bird landed, also when at the fish part. There was one YouTube of this at the pond, where you could see the fish animation routine cycle severl times before the player hit b to continue.

It seems possible to fake that but very unlikely that they would.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Agreed.

It's hard debating this topic because I love each of these games so much, and you people are making me remember awesome stuff from SMG 1 and 2...... Damn now I think I might like the Galaxies better....

Pretty much what Mr. Poo said.

The only thing that bothered me about SM3DL was collecting three coins. I'm pretty OCD about it and I can't move onto the next stage until I get the coins in the previous stage. Other than that I was fine with everything else.

Outta curiosity, there's no success on user mods for that game (or any other 3DS game) yet, right?

One of the things I very much loved about NSMBW was the custom user levels.

That specific shot isn't too far-fetched, extreme AA aside.

And it's only 320p, so there's the benefit of extra performance from rendering at a lower resolution.

antonz

That specific shot isn't too far-fetched, extreme AA aside.

We are getting a supercharged 360 for the most part it seems as more and more finalized component details come out. I can already see the marketing from Sony and MS and Nintendo acting befuddled as to why the core gamer doesnt give a shit. If this was the 80s where marketing went for blood Nintendo would be so royally screwed.

Let me clarify. This is great news for Nintendo franchises. HD has finally come but its jack squat for 3rd parties and core gamers

Linkhero1

Outta curiosity, there's no success on user mods for that game (or any other 3DS game) yet, right?

One of the things I very much loved about NSMBW was the custom user levels.

As far as I know, no. Might be due to the fact the 3DS hasn't been hacked to pieces already by hackers. Not sure if anyone has figured out a way to do such a thing yet.

It would be awesome to mess around with such tool, but also time consuming. :p

This thread is getting me hyped for Pikmin 3. Can't wait to return to that world. I know there's debate about the first two, but both of them to me were Nintendo's very best games of the GC era.

I wonder what new twists the franchise can take. Hoping to be surprised.

shnord

Neo Member
And it's only 320p, so there's the benefit of extra performance from rendering at a lower resolution.
Wii U games top out at 320p confirmed.

We are getting a supercharged 360 for the most part it seems as more and more finalized component details come out. I can already see the marketing from Sony and MS and Nintendo acting befuddled as to why the core gamer doesnt give a shit. If this was the 80s where marketing went for blood Nintendo would be so royally screwed
It wouldn't be far-fetched even for a supercharged 360...

...extreme AA aside.

edit: Nevermind, I see what you're saying now.

edit x2: Don't really understand what that has to do with what I originally said though. :p

RedSwirl

So basically we're back to wondering if Nintendo can even upgrade their development pipeline to deal with modern things like shaders and whatnot. Will Retro be able to go on using proprietary engines or will they need to roll with middleware? Do we even know who did that Zelda demo?

Most of Nintendo's first party games however have art styles that don't demand all those realistic effects. The main reason the recent 3D Mario games looks so good is probably because of their simple, expressive art styles. That's why I'm so excited about the next 3D Mario on the Wii U because that art style will have that much more of an effect on the end product. There are little-to-no direct analogues to Nintendo's first party games art-wise on HD consoles. You got maybe Banjo Kazooie Nuts n' Bolts or the recent Ratchet & Clank games.

Lyude77

That's why I said "3D Mario." :)

But at least NSMB Wii had amazing level design. There weren't many moments in 3D Land that really stuck out to me as having top tier platforming level design.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. I only enjoyed 3D Land more than NSMB DS. My feelings may change when I complete post-game, but the regular game was bland in my mind. Mario in 3D (for me) is about wonder with a hint of exploration and 2D is about fantastic level design with precise platforming, and 3D Land didn't have either of those in most of its levels. That's not to say it's bad, it's great - I just didn't like the main game very much compared to the others or find it very challenging. The post-game may be a different story, though, as I've enjoyed the few post-game levels I played much more.

I think I just liked NSMB Wii and the Galaxies too much to not be disappointed with a different direction.

HylianTom

Banned
We are getting a supercharged 360 for the most part it seems as more and more finalized component details come out. I can already see the marketing from Sony and MS and Nintendo acting befuddled as to why the core gamer doesnt give a shit. If this was the 80s where marketing went for blood Nintendo would be so royally screwed.

Let me clarify. This is great news for Nintendo franchises. HD has finally come but its jack squat for 3rd parties and core gamers
Ehh.. no biggie. I think third parties would be hesitant even if the U is on par with the others. Anything that we get from them that's A or AA or more, I'll regard as a pleasant surprise. With even "just" a souped-up 360, first-party stuff is going to be gorgeous. :)

antonz

Ehh.. no biggie. I think third parties would be hesitant even if the U is on par with the others. Anything that we get from them that's A or AA or more, I'll regard as a pleasant surprise. With even "just" a souped-up 360, first-party stuff is going to be gorgeous. :)

The thing that just bugs me is I know the tablet outside of a few exceptions will be treated like a gimmick for pointless things like maps. I mean it will be nice to have the map off the screen and such but unlike the wiimote which only took like 6 bucks from the consoles budget the padlet is taking a much larger chunk that impacts system power.

So if the tablet gets underutilized that means alot of wasted console manufacturing budget

The thing that just bugs me is I know the tablet outside of a few exceptions will be treated like a gimmick for pointless things like maps. I mean it will be nice to have the map off the screen and such but unlike the wiimote which only took like 6 bucks from the consoles budget the padlet is taking a much larger chunk that impacts system power.

So if the tablet gets underutilized that means alot of wasted console manufacturing budget

Good point. I'm already disappointed in the emphasis shift from Wiimotes to the tablet. When the budget for it is taking away from making the system better (for the same price), that makes it even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom