• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Frankly, I think that many of the environments in Star Fox 64 looked pretty amazing at the time. Solar, in particular, blew me away at the time.

It hasn't recently been used for anything that isn't shit, I'll grant you that. But if it's treated top tier, then it'd have some gobsmackingly great art.

Truly, we are masters of the art of piggybacking EviLore to attain fame and greatness.

edit: I hadn't heard that. Genuine thanks for sharing it.

Now, think about it, this thread and its contributors bring TONS of new clicks & adds revenue to them from the outside !

Hey, we need our share ! I accept to be paid in food

HylianTom

Banned
Now, think about it, this thread and its contributors bring TONS of new clicks & adds revenue to them from the outside !

Hey, we need our share ! I accept to be paid in food

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if RawMeat is in here from time to time. The guy is always working, so him having a tab open to NeoGAF wouldn't strike me as being incredibly far-fetched.

{*waves at RMC*}

Glass Joe

I agree that plenty could be done with Starfox if Retro was at the helm. Not every game has to be some massive undertaking. And Starfox, especially if on rails, could have some absolutely breath taking scenery and bosses.

It wouldn't have to be a 20 or 30 hour game to get through for me to bite. Just gorgeous, fun, and very replayable. Branching paths, score attacks, online, etc. Though if they wanted to go grander, it's not like they couldn't with the concept.

People saying Zelda? Eh, not really diggin' that. For one, I'm burnt out on that series. I don't want to see a new one for a couple years. For another, it's always been a key franchise successfully handled over in Japan.

Metroid I could picture them working on, but they're probably burnt out on that and I'm not sure they'd say "it's something everyone wants us to work on" if it wasn't something new for them. They might have a major team on one game and a minor team laying the groundwork for Metroid though.

If it was ONLY Metroid though, I'd be disappointed. Star Fox seems like a great fit - though maybe Treasure would want it. F-Zero has been silent far too long too.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if RawMeat is in here from time to time. The guy is always working, so him having a tab open to NeoGAF wouldn't strike me as being incredibly far-fetched.

{*waves at RMC*}

I'm talking about NeoGAF and EL :)
They need to grant us something special, we are a real vortex in the gaming section of this board, we are drawing a lot of visitors & curious, who want to know more about the Wii U.

I think they need to organize a real life event with 10000$ of snacks, pastries, and desserts, for us.

Luigison

Didn't Miyamoto say he wanted a new Zelda in the spirit of ALttP, but wanted someone else to do it? Could it be Retro?

I agree that plenty could be done with Starfox if Retro was at the helm. Not every game has to be some massive undertaking. And Starfox, especially if on rails, could have some absolutely breath taking scenery and bosses.

Oh no. That's the only thing I wouldn't want them to do with it.

Nilaul

It wouldn't have to be a 20 or 30 hour game to get through for me to bite. Just gorgeous, fun, and very replayable. Branching paths, score attacks, online, etc. Though if they wanted to go grander, it's not like they couldn't with the concept.

People saying Zelda? Eh, not really diggin' that. For one, I'm burnt out on that series. I don't want to see a new one for a couple years. For another, it's always been a key franchise successfully handled over in Japan.

Metroid I could picture them working on, but they're probably burnt out on that and I'm not sure they'd say "it's something everyone wants us to work on" if it wasn't something new for them. They might have a major team on one game and a minor team laying the groundwork for Metroid though.

If it was ONLY Metroid though, I'd be disappointed. Star Fox seems like a great fit - though maybe Treasure would want it. F-Zero has been silent far too long too.

I would buy Starfox if its not only onrails, and it has land on foot segments, with awesome like metroid sceneres combined with some of star wars sceneries. Just a full blow out with completly contrasting worlds. A world with Giant Glowing mushrooms, a world with an ancient like overgrown temple structure, another world with never ending skyways.

guek

Banned
I think having good land segments are possible in Starfox, even if it's really rare to have good ground segments in flight games. I would absolutely LOVE IT if Retro developed a sprawling Starfox adventure that was equal parts ground and flight and altogether awesome.

antonz

Didn't Miyamoto say he wanted a new Zelda in the spirit of ALttP, but wanted someone else to do it? Could it be Retro?

Nah Retro has been hiring people of way too high a pedigree in terms of pushing graphical boundaries etc for it to be a LTTP Zelda game. If anyone remakes ALTTP or a ALTTP type game its probably grezzo

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

It's weird because reading a list of their main franchises like that, i'm feeling burnt out by most of them.

I LOVE their game development approach, their philosophy, most of their hardware choices, their gamedesign, ideas, all in all, the skeleton, the structure of their content, but i'm more & more tired by their background, their universes, at least 50% of their characters. I need some fresh air in that area from them.

Nilaul

Miyamoto said that he wanted to make it himself, I doubt he would want to move countries for a few years so that he can make it with Retro studios.

HylianTom

Banned
They need to grant us something special, we are a real vortex in the gaming section of this board, we are drawing a lot of visitors & curious, who want to know more about the Wii U.

I think they need to organize a real life event with 10000$ of snacks, pastries, and desserts, for us.
In that case, I request these goodies at the event:
Tiramisu_Cocoa.gif

Bawls.jpg

and
fried-shrimp-sl-521172-l.jpg

And some beignets, along with some decent coffee.

I've gotta start thinking about what foods I want around the house for E3 Week..

Nilaul

Tiramisu_Cocoa.gif

Bawls.jpg

and

I've gotta start thinking about what foods I want around the house for E3 Week..

Yess u know about Tiramisou! YaY!!!!!! But no to shrimps. What happens if nothing goes as planned on E3?

--------------

Can the party creator also pay for a ticket for me from LONDON? And a hotel please! The organizer should be very grateful as my dream to see the grand canyon may come true because of him.

HylianTom

Banned
It's weird because reading a list of their main franchises like that, i'm feeling burnt out by most of them.

I LOVE their game development approach, their philosophy, most of their hardware choices, their gamedesign, ideas, all in all, the skeleton, the structure of their content, but i'm more & more tired by their background, their universes, at least 50% of their characters. I need some fresh air in that area from them.

When that happens, do what I do: take a break.
And/or: spend some time PC gaming.

It's normal. No worries!

Now, if I were to take a break for a long enough time period and then come back to find myself still tired? I'd be worried.

Yess u know about Tiramisou! YaY!!!!!!
Oh but yes. I judge Italian restaurants firstly on the basis of how good their tiramisu is. And thankfully, I live four blocks away from a restaurant that makes the best tiramisu in the city. For my major gaming vacations, I always make sure to have an entire week's worth in the fridge/freezer. Good stuff!

Wii U Speculation Thread V: Scrumptious Extortion!

Nilaul

It's normal. No worries!

Now, if I were to take a break for a long enough time period and then come back to find myself still tired? I'd be worried.

This is why I played darkstalkers, and Zelda skyward sword was my favourate Zelda after the oracles games. Theres one thing common about all these three games; there refreshing and the oracle games are the best 2d zelda games ever.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Tiramisu_Cocoa.gif

Bawls.jpg

and

You made me have an IDEA !!!

A wario ware mini game using the facial recognition of the DRC camera, forcing you to eat what you have at your disposal, frenetically, for a certain amount of time, in direct competition by video call with other people. Think of a eat-the-maximum-burger-contest but online, with a software spotting your mouth and throat movements to check if you cheat or not !

And we can imagine a NFC implementation also, with tagged Nintendo branded cookies packages that you would scan and then if you eat all of them in front of the camera while launching the application "Eating Exhibitionist", you earn an achievement and some nice rewards like the possibility to have big bellies for your Mii, etc.

Nilaul

Oh but yes. I judge Italian restaurants firstly on the basis of how good their tiramisu is. And thankfully, I live four blocks away from a restaurant that makes the best tiramisu in the city. For my major gaming vacations, I always make sure to have an entire week's worth in the fridge/freezer. Good stuff!

I eat it all the time in Greece. Fresh from yummy bakeries. :p

HylianTom

Banned
You made me have an IDEA !!!

A wario ware mini game using the facial recognition of the DRC camera, forcing you to eat what you have at your disposal, frenetically, for a certain amount of time, in direct competition by video call with other people. Think of a eat-the-maximum-burger-contest but online, with a software spotting your mouth and throat movement to check if you cheat or not !

And we can imagine a NFC implementation also, with tagged Nintendo branded cookies package that you would scan then if you eat all of them in front of the camera while launching the application "Eating Exhibitionist", you earn an achievement and some nice rewards like the possibilities to have big bellies for your Mii, etc.

It would be on like Donkey Kong! I'd friggin' love that!

(And Nilaul, bread is going to be the death of me. A delicious, delectable death..)

botty

Banned
I think I brought it up before, but I expect (if it's true) Retro's Star Fox to be a prequel.

EDIT: also, when was news of DCKR leaked prior to e3?

Effect

No, the best part will be that the speculation filling the equivalent of 400 pages of these threads about the game they are working on for Wii U will cease :p

It was interesting at first, annoying now, and unfair for a lot of other studios that deserves as much credit but that we hardly talk about.

I don't like this tendency to view Retro as a Deus Ex Machina, coming from the sky to SAVE THE DAY BAYBI ! They are very talented don't get me wrong, but you know, it's never good to put your eggs on the same basket, Nintendo really need to diversify its pool of western-affiliated studios.

I see where you're coming from but it's not like there are a lot of western developers that develop on Nintendo consoles people can safely put their faith in and not be screwed over by in the end. Retro is Nintendo and they happen to be western. Limited choices.

I think having good land segments are possible in Starfox, even if it's really rare to have good ground segments in flight games. I would absolutely LOVE IT if Retro developed a sprawling Starfox adventure that was equal parts ground and flight and altogether awesome.

Yeah, I'm down for that. Wasn't there a rumor that Retro's next title was going to be open world?

I'm envisioning an explorable solar system, where you could chart your own course for on-rails sections ala Phantom Hourglass but much much much better. :D

Oh no. [Being on rails is] the only thing I wouldn't want them to do with it.

Do you seriously not like the original Star Fox and Star Fox 64? They were rail shooters. On rails doesn't mean you can't move your on-screen character around, it means you don't have control over the scrolling. Star Fox, Panzer Dragoon, Kid Icarus Uprising, Space Harrier, that sort of thing.

It's one of my favourite game genres. :)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!

It's normal. No worries!

The thing is i'm already more of a PC-centric gamer since 20 years so i can't use it as a refuge to rejuvenate my links with Nintendo backgrounds. It's only this aspect that bothers me though, for the rest i'm in love with them. I consider that they waste their talent (besides Mario platformers & some other titles) by sticking to universes that are in reality pretexts, envelopes for their gamedesign prowess & innovations. I want old-school Nintendo (and not second-party, contractors, or recently acquired studios) to try their gameplay approach with more modern and deep characters/background/storytelling.

Well it was better than the GC ones (well, better than the flying sections of Dinosaur Planet, which otherwise isn;t really a Starfox game at all), and it was perhaps a bit of a stretch for the hardware. At least it managed an online mode (I think?)

You're talking to the one guy who liked Star Fox: Assault. Yes, even the on-foot sections. The one control scheme wasn't that bad. :p

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Retro should develop Star Fox and then Mother 4. Also Metroid 2D. These ideas all make sense.

But seriously. Look at their hirings. FPS designer. FPS multiplayer netcode programmer. FPS this. FPS that. What would an educated person say keeping in mind Satoru Iwata's comments about catering more to the west. What games sell. What should Nintendo do with a high profile western studio. Make them develop a niche japanese ip? Or create something high profile specifically for the west.

I can guarantee you E3 will show some first-party ips with iniative to appeal to that lost Wii demographic.

Akai

But seriously. Look at their hirings. FPS designer. FPS multiplayer netcode programmer. FPS this. FPS that. What would an educated person say keeping in mind Satoru Iwata's comments about catering more to the west. What games sell. What should Nintendo do with a high profile western studio. Make them develop a niche japanese ip? Or create something high profile specifically for the west.

I can guarantee you E3 will show some first-party ips with iniative to appeal to that lost Wii demographic.

Star Fox to have on-foot FPS sections!

HylianTom

Banned
The thing is i'm already more of a PC-centric gamer since 20 years so i can't use it as a refuge to rejuvenate my links with Nintendo backgrounds. It's only this aspect that bothers me though, for the rest i'm in love with them. I consider that they waste their talent (besides Mario platformers & some other titles) by sticking to universes that are in reality pretexts, envelopes for their gamedesign prowess & innovations. I want old-school Nintendo (and not second-party, contractors, or recently acquired studios) to try their gameplay approach with more modern and deep characters/background/storytelling.

Ahh.. I get it now, and agree to some extent. I want them to try this approach, but my big fear on this is that their games of this sort will end-up looking like some other efforts that are already out there. There are some genres that are already beaten to death.

But then again, like with the clicky sliders, I'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt until trying for myself. With their Nintendo-ey flavor, I could end-up loving whatever they make.

Do you have a preferred genre(s) for these efforts?
(you know mine already: stealth, action-adventure, etc)

Thraktor

From the patent:

[0197] The housing 50 includes a window 63 through which an infrared signal from an infrared communication module 82 is emitted to the outside of the terminal device 7. The window 63 is herein provided on the upper side surface of the housing 50 so that the infrared signal is emitted in a forward direction of the user when the user holds the opposing sides of the LCD 51. In other embodiments, the window 63 may be provided at any position such as, for example, on the back surface of the housing 50

This confirms that the little black window on the top of the Wii U pad is actually an IR emitter, not a Wiimote-style camera as many (including myself) had presumed. This pretty much guarantees that there's going to be a universal remote control app for the Wii U pad.

There also seems to be another part of the patent which expands on this:

[0377] The game system 1 may be such that the infrared remote controller signal for the television 2 can be outputted from an infrared emitter (e.g., the marker device 6, the marker section 55 or the infrared communication module 72). Then, the game device 3 can perform an operation on the television 2 by outputting the infrared controller signal from the infrared emitter in accordance with an operation on the terminal device 7. In such a case, since the user can operate the television 2 by using the terminal device 7 without operating the remote controller of the television 2, it is convenient when, for example, switching the input of the television 2 from one to another as described above.

And this section might also be of interest:

[0382] (Operation Example where System Cooperates with TV Broadcasting)
[0383] The game system 1 can also operate in cooperation with TV broadcasting when a TV broadcast is being watched on the television 2. That is, when a TV program is being watched on the television 2, the game system 1 can output on the terminal device 7 information regarding the TV program, etc. An operation example in which the game system 1 operates in cooperation with TV broadcasting will now be described.
[...]
The TV information may be program-related information such as subtitles and cast information, EPG (Electronic Program Guide) information, or information to be broadcast as a data broadcast. The TV information may be images, sounds, text, or information of a combination thereof.

Edit:
Retro should develop Star Fox and then Mother 4. Also Metroid 2D. These ideas all make sense.

Agree with this completely. Nintendo have only one western first-party studio capable of making games that cater to the CoD crowd. It doesn't make sense to put them on a project like Starfox, which, as much as I love it, is a series with limited appeal. Getting Retro to make an FPS and giving Starfox to Treasure makes much more sense from Nintendo's standpoint.

Discomurf

I'm not so sure about this Retro Star Fox rumor, seems just like wishful thinking without any kind of legitimate source.

Let's break down what we do know...

• We know that Retro was already working on a Zelda title of some kind back in 2008 -- I remember Matt Casamassina confirming this on an IGN podcast in 2009.
  • We know that Retro has been scooping up some major developer talent over this past year ... people that have created successful 3rd person adventure games like Uncharted 3.
  • We know that Eric Kozlowsky (formerly from Naughty Dog) tweeted the project he was about to embark on as a “Crowning Achievement"
  • We already saw an actual demo of Zelda running on the Wii U

So think about it logically - what is more likely, StarFox or Zelda? What kind of Nintendo E3 reveal would excite both hardcore gamers and casuals more? What game would make a bigger splash and help pull core players back to Nintendo?

Sure StarFox would be cool, but my money is on Zelda.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Ahh.. I get it now, and agree to some extent. I want them to try this approach, but my big fear on this is that their games of this sort will end-up looking like some other efforts that are already out there. There are some genres that are already beaten to death.

But then again, like with the clicky sliders, I'd have to give them the benefit of the doubt until trying for myself. With their Nintendo-ey flavor, I could end-up loving whatever they make.

Do you have a preferred genre(s) for these efforts?
(you know mine already: stealth, action-adventure, etc)

Well, even an action-rpg but with a different setting that the one with the green-hat guy and rupees you know. A sci-fi space shooter & land sections (a more accessible Elite, think of a PC space shooter like X Wing with some ground explorations on the planets) but with a fresh new franchise.

Regarding your stealth game preference, imagine a Nintendo-ed Thief, less gritty, more friendly, featuring a big-hearted robber, taking place in A TAD (not too much) cartoony versions of europeans capitals, always by night, with stealing missions on museums, etc.

hatchx

Banned
I doubt Retro is making Star Fox or Zelda.

We know Aunoma and EAD are behind the next Zelda. They've all but confirmed it.

Starfox is not a big franchise anymore, and really seems a better fit for handheld.

I'd wager my money that Retro is working on two things:

1. Donkey Kong Country 3DS (or DK:Returns 2) for 3DS. It'll be a follow up sequel to DKCR as you'd expect.

2. A big, third-person action/adventure game. In order of likeliness: 1.Resurrection of old franchise, 2. New Franchise, 3. Metroid.

Do you seriously not like the original Star Fox and Star Fox 64? They were rail shooters. On rails doesn't mean you can't move your on-screen character around, it means you don't have control over the scrolling. Star Fox, Panzer Dragoon, Kid Icarus Uprising, Space Harrier, that sort of thing.

It's one of my favourite game genres. :)

Yes, I did enjoy the original and 64, and I know what on rails means, thank you. :p I just like being in complete control. On rails may be good for creating a cinematic feeling, but it ultimately limits what the player can do. In other words, I don't mind that the older games did it, but doing it again is just going to make the same game with better graphics. There's much better things Retro could be doing than making a prettier Starfox.

Medalion

Banned

No one can blame you... Nintendo has rehashed their core franchises a lot lately to save their skins, it is why there has been an outcry for new original IP's for so long.

Kangi

We're approaching a thousand posts in less than twelve hours...

Also, Retro is making an HD gritty reboot of Kirby for the anniversary. I just know they are!
They aren't. =(

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Ideaman, how come you got the greenlight for Rayman leak? Was the leak orchestrated?

I basically knew the game was developed for Wii U, i hinted toward it since a few weeks ago, without naming it (and i haven't heard it from a source working for Ubi). Once i saw the first leak (about the setting and some screenshots), i gave 1 or 2 additional details and confirmed the Wii U version, then a few hours later the video leaked. It wasn't orchestrated. I didn't had any greenlight from Ubi, my ties to them are really indirect.

HylianTom

Banned
Well, even an action-rpg but with a different setting that the one with the green-hat guy and rupees you know. A sci-fi space shooter & land sections (a more accessible Elite, think of the space segments of Star Wars Galaxies with some ground explorations on the planets) but with a fresh new franchise.

Regarding your stealth game preference, imagine a Nintendo-ed Thief, less gritty, more friendly, featuring a big-hearted robber, taking place in A TAD (not too much) cartoony versions of europeans capitals, always by night, with stealing missions on museums, etc.

Okay. Scary moment. You and I are sharing a brain on our games wishes, it seems.

If Nintendo ever made a game based on your stylized Thief idea.. I think I'd cry of happiness. Especially if the soundtrack is fantastic.

Instead of squeezing two Zeldas into a console's lifespan, I think that I've realized over the past five years: I'd like to see them roll Zelda back to ONE gigantic Zelda title per generation instead of two. Make it huge, make it absolutely superlative. But only ONE.

After that? Put the team on another game, especially for the types you and I speak of. An action-adventure, maybe with RPG or stealth elements. This kind of thing would entail more risk than the usual crank-out-sequels model that Nintendo seems to like, but they'd also have potential for creating some really great new IPs - expanding that Nintendo Universe I so love to talk about.

(and I just realized: you're up really late! A night owl!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom