• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I must admit, the straight ahead no BS thread title looks really good on the main page after the overextended and ugly titles of the previous threads. The 'V' on the end is very aesthetically pleasing.

1)  Price? - 299.99 minimum, 349.99 max, gonna go with 299

2)  Release date? - november 18th

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? - 2.5x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? - gta5

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. - dressed as a pikmin, that or he is going to show a new mario game

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? - MS teases new console, Sony just does games

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? - controller is unique etc...

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Skipping a final exam? - gonna wake up early

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? "it's still nintendo"
10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? - too much time spent on stupid gimmicks

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Let's begin this thread with a part of the Edge interview of Miyamoto where he declares that the Vita needs game even if it's quite capable technically, and give its analysis about the problems the 3DS launch met

"It's obviously a very hi-spec machine, and you can do lots of things with it," he said of Vita, which launched in Japan last December and in the west in late February. "But I don't really see the combination of software and hardware that really makes a very strong product."

"When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

"We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realize the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

Let's hope they had their lesson and will plan the Wii U launch line-up accordingly, with "key software" from Nintendo at the very start.

udivision

Let's hope they had their lessons and will plan the Wii U launch line-up accordingly, with "key software" from Nintendo at the very start.

I don't see Nintendo announcing anything that can make the launch after e3, so this e3 really must be a blow-out in terms of enticing software.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Hey Rosti, glad you got to create thread V. Straight to the point, filled with information, and zero fluff.

Take note boys.

Okay.. before I start the new thread's survey, there's some unfinished business from the last one..

Wii U Speculation Thread IV's Survey Findings
Most popular release date:               November 18th
          Second most popular?             November 11th

Mode price:                                           $300
            Second place:                            $350
            High place:                                $399 (upper SKU)
             Low place:                                 $279
Mean price:                                            $~315

Mode Bullshit 360-Multiplier:       2.0x
          Second place:                            2.5x
           High place:                                 12.0x
           Low place:                                  1.2x
           Oddball place:                            i  (yes.. the imaginary number)
Mean Bullshit 360-Multiplier:       2.4x

E3 Surprises
haptics
vitality sensor
Zynga/Rovio support
multiple controller supported
Steam
lack of big third-party titles
Retro-developed Zelda
GTA V (at launch?)
F-Zero
Blizzard support
third-party games and killer apps
DBZ-like scanning
Smash Bros trailer
console Zelda trailer
Launch title: Overstrike

Now adjusting my expectations to be in line with the GAF average.

Wii U will come out on November 18th at a list price of $315, having 2.4x the power of the Xbox 360, there will be haptics embedded in the vitality sensor, controllers will be downloadable through Steam, Retro will develop GTA V with Blizzard's support.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
1) Price?
$299.
$349 isn't out of the question, but I'm leaning towards $299. I'd be very happy with that.
2) Release date?
November 18, 2012
3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?
1.5X
4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)?
GTAV trailer or stage demo. No guts, no glory prediction: Mach Rider Returns!
5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show.
Demonstrating Wii U's 'Wii Sports' equivalent. Dressed in a sharp suit.
6) Any special MS or Sony predictions?
Microsoft's show will be focused on Xbox as set-top box, rather than game machine. Ryse will be a no-show.
Sony's show will feature the unveiling of Quantic Dream's new science fiction game, which should turn a few heads. Vita's showing will be on par with Nintendo's 3DS show last year, i.e. only a couple of big new games announced.
7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite?
"Wii U is kind of a special case...", of course.
8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Dkipping a final exam?
Time off work.
9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
"They showed off all the same games on the other platforms, only with a giant uncomfortable controller. No thanks!"
10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
Too many unanswered questions about OS and/or online.

Sadist

1) Price?
€ 299

2) Release date?
16 November 2012

Kaioken x 3

Some third party collaborations which make GAF go "WWWHHAAAAAT!!??"

Demonstration of Pikmin 3, wearing an awesome Pikmin shirt. Trinnen will stand beside him in a Pikmin suit.

"Buy our games, remember that E3 2008 presentation from Nintendo? IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN"

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite?
"It's a special case, so we'd rather make something exclusive for the system." (lol)

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Dkipping a final exam?
Got myself a free day :D

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?
1. Gametrailers: "We loved everything about MS. I mean, did you see Halo 4? And all the amazing Kinect stuff? MS did it again. Nintendo and Sony didn't bring anything new to the table." Mattrick swings by dropping a bag of money...

2. "Wow, another Mario/Pikmin/Zelda/Pokémon game? Man, Nintendo really needs some new fresh IP. Why can't Nintendo be like Sony and MS? Little Big Karting, God of War, Halo 4 and Forza look far more interesting!"

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?
Reggie being to cool for his own good. Trying to hard etc.

So this thread is going to take us home. Unfortunately I don't think we are going to get as many leaks as people are hoping for between now and E3. So far Nintendo has been doing well with NDA's.

1) Price?: 349 US (vs. 299 due to the controller)

2) Release date?: 16 November 2012

3) Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent?: x3.5

4) Nintendo conference surprise(s)?: Something big from Squeenix or Kojima. Some technical showcase from Crytek

5) Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show: He will show up in a hotdog suit.

6) Any special MS or Sony predictions?: One of these two will get spooked into announcing a new console due to them finally understanding that Nintendo is trying to dip in to their core market.

7) You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties. So.. what'll be your favorite?: "The WiiU version of this game is better because of the controller"

8) Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own? Taking off from work? Dkipping a final exam?: Taking off of work both Monday and Tuesday. Going over friends place with about 5-7 of us to watch the conferences.

9) Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year?: "Not having COD on the Wii U is a real disadvantage for Nintendo"

10) Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year?: Winning back the core gamer means a new Mario and thats it?!

Mlatador

Banned
icBnx8.gif

OH MY GAWD!! :DDD

SO awesome!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I think that Miyamoto interview would make a fine new thread.

It's another part of the huge interview they got while he was in Paris to promote the Louvre audio-guide.

I would have created it, but i'm a junior :p

Hey, Juniors are FRESH !

1)  Price? 329.99-349.99

2)  Release date? Sept. 23, 2012

3)  Bullshit xbox360-based Multiplier Equivalent? First stage - 2.5x, Second stage - 5+x

4)  Nintendo conference surprise(s)? Some type of Nintendo/Epic partnership or collaboration.

5)  Predict Miyamoto's role/costume/appearance context in this year's show. Bald space marine. Jeans, jacket, T-shirt with Nintendo-related logo.

6)  Any special MS or Sony predictions? Despite popular doubt, they will not show anything about their next consoles.

7)  You know we're going to hear some, umm, interesting excuses from third parties.  So.. what'll be your favorite? "After spending time with the controller we are still unable to think of a proper way to take advantage of it's unique capabilities."

8)  Any special E3 plans/arrangements of your own?  Taking off from work?  Dkipping a final exam? Taking off work and eating breakfast for lunch during the conference.

9)  Your favorite bullshit gaming media critique of Nintendo's performance at E3 this year? "It didn't wow me like I expected."

10)  Your own predicted complaint/peeve/angering issue regarding Nintendo's E3 performance this year? Online will not being discussed enough. No confirmation that two controllers can work.

No Launch Day questions this time around.. but in a future thread?  Yes!

BD1

Banned
Trophies? Achievements? Or something like that?

If they are going the achievement route, they should just rip off Smash Bros. Each game comes with trophies of different characters/locations/situations/etc. And we can browse the "trophy rooms" of our friends.

MisterHero

1) Price?
299 US Dollars

2) Release date?
November 13 2012

4x

Starfox by Retro

Demonstrate Mii games with the Wii U Pad

Totally original controllers with their own screens

"Too many Nintendo games at the launch window to compete."

Nope

It doesn't do 4k resolution

Not enough Nintendo games! There's NEVER enough Nintendo games!!

Also, they should send MyNintendo members E3 swag.

It's another part of the huge interview they got while he was in Paris to promote the Louvre audio-guide.

I would have created it, but i'm a junior :p

Hey, Juniors are FRESH !
That's OK Ideaman, you can do us all a great service and get this thread off to a great start by dropping a big juicy hype-inducing morsel. Pleeeeeease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom