• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

The game is targeted for the PS360 crowd. Other than specific IPs mentioned as not being the game, the remaining Nintendo IPs not mentioned wouldn't fit this idea.

Also as a side note, the people Retro's been recently hiring have created or have been involved in development with games targeted towards that specific crowd.

Izick

I don't know what to think anymore. People are in shadows. Paul Gale already said some shit about him wanting a Perfect Dark game, bgassassin says it's targeted at PS360 gamers, so that seems to fit.

Still not sure why people don't just come out and say it though.

Also not saying I believe a lick of any of this yet though.

Paul Gale

How sure are you in this rumor?

I understand it's a rumor, and it should be taken with a pinch of salt.

But you said you don't report on 90 percent of the stuff you hear because a lot of it is bullshit. So I'm guessing this is something you have confidence in being real from a reliable source?

If this information was coming from one of the people that I spoke with in April, '11, there probably wouldn't be an article going up later on Saturday (unless I was given the ok). As far as do I personally in my honest opinion think it's true?

Uhh, I "want" it to be true, I think it sounds a little "too good" to be true, and the "think" part of it will be elaborated in the story itself.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I don't know what to think anymore. People are in shadows. Paul Gale already said some shit about him wanting a Perfect Dark game, bgassassin says it's targeted at PS360 gamers, so that seems to fit.

Still not sure why people don't just come out and say it though.

Er, Microsoft owns Perfect Dark now.

Linkhero1

But then what has monster games been cooking these past few years? Surely not pilot wings alone. believe.

If Sega isn't working on the next installment of F-Zero, I would hope that Monster Games has been given the opportunity to work with the series. Especially after how awesome Excitetruck was.

Also as a side note, the people Retro's been recently hiring have created or have been involved in development with games targeted towards that specific crowd.

Werent most of those hires in the last third of 2011? Could they have had much influence in this short of time? Those kind of hires seemed next next game ish to me.

Oddduck

Here's what I'll say Paul.

The later you wait on revealing the rumor, the more expectations for the rumor will get insane. You might as well reveal it as early as possible before people's expectations get overblown.

If this information was coming from one of the people that I spoke with in April, '11, there probably wouldn't be an article going up later on Saturday (unless I was given the ok). As far as do I personally in my honest opinion think it's true?

Uhh, I "want" it to be true, I think it sounds a little "too good" to be true, and the "think" part of it will be elaborated in the story itself.

So what time eastern or pacific were you thinking of dropping it?

Linkhero1

Werent most of those hires in the last third of 2011? Could they have had much influence in this short of time? Those kind of hires seemed next next game ish to me.

I'm pretty sure they were hiring before that too. I'm just not sure who they've hired since finishing DKCR, but them hiring about 15-20 new people since DKCR came out.

Edit: This is according to LinkedIn, so I do not know how accurate it is. Some people don't have their profiles on LinkedIn or are hidden.

Orayn

I still say it's RavenBlade with an actual focus. Instead of that 300 page design document monstrosity it was becoming.

Retro should really take cues from From Software if they're doing anything related to a fantasy action-RPG. Those guys have it down to an art and a science.

Does anyone know if DKCR use any EAD general manpower outside of producers and the like?

After the hires, Retro is probably past 85 people at this point right?

Linkhero1

Not sure how accurate this is, but I recall Nintendo saying they weren't going to target the dudebro ps3/360 audience with an FPS game similar to CoD. I can't find the exact quote, but I'm sure someone has it bookmarked.

Does anyone know if DKCR use any EAD general manpower outside of producers and the like?

After the hires, Retro is probably past 85 people at this point right?

According to LinkedIn, they're at 78 employees, but that might not be 100% accurate. Around the time DKCR was developed, I believe they were at 60+/-5 employees.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It's not an existing IP. Also I think it could appeal to quite a few people as people like new experiences.

Not even outside of video games?

If not, there goes my dreams of a Retro made Inception: The Videogame. :(

-----

How would we get hyped about a new IP game just through rumors? Not until we see it running or in pics can we begin to see the awesome.

I would just like to sidestep the convo and say how happy i am to be a part of this thread the past hour and a half or so. I now understand the addictive groove people must hit to get those insane post counts in the previous threads.

I'm almost wishing that the other half of me that was saying, "don't put it up", won...because I know exactly what's going to happen once it hits: pandemonium whether it ends up being real or fake.

GIVE ME A TIME OF DAY DAMMIT!

I have important shit to do tomorrow that i could have done today but didnt. I need to plan accordingly.

Orayn

I would just like to sidestep the convo and say how happy i am to be a part of this thread the past hour and a half or so. I now understand the addictive groove people must hit to get those insane post counts in the previous threads.

I know, right? I feel a little guilty because the posts are generally kind of short and low-content, but the discussion feels so good.

-----

How would we get hyped about a new IP game just through rumors? Not until we see it running or in pics can we begin to see the awesome.

You know, Inception kind of captures the general tone I'd love to see out of a new Retro IP. Something serious and tense, but not overly gritty or dark. Some mind-bending levels wouldn't hurt.

I'm almost wishing that the other half of me that was saying, "don't put it up", won...because I know exactly what's going to happen once it hits: pandemonium whether it ends up being real or fake.

Well, some get so angry over "rumors" and "leaks" but to me, it's all fun and games and helps pass the time.

No one should shoot the messenger unless it's one of the greatest concepts of all time.

Then they still shouldn't.

This place is dying of no news, it's more of Nintendo's fault than anyone with "sources" but bless their hearts, they know how to make a statement and when to.

I'm excited about Ice Hockey HD as much as you are, but I think you're overhyping it a bit much for everyone else.

Rich!

-----

Damn, I would have loved to have seen BRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH the videogame.

In all fairness, it would be a great concept for a game.

Izick

Only Retro brings that out of me, I am surprised at all of this myself.

They're the X-Factor even though developers like EAD Tokyo are as amazing if not more.

Is the Retro game possibly going to be a launch game, or no? Would definitely be a reason for people to pick up a system, and if it is a Rare-like FPS, then it gives a reason to be interested in your online features, and word of mouth always increases from good online multiplayer junk, look at XBL.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The thing I don't like about these rumors and leaks is the ego stroking from some that post these rumors. Like they have these big rumors that we don't know about and they tease us with them.
And most of the time it isn't even that big of news.

Is the Retro game possibly going to be a launch game, or no? Would definitely be a reason for people to pick up a system, and if it is a Rare-like FPS, then it gives a reason to be interested in your online features, and word of mouth always increases from good online multiplayer junk, look at XBL.

I have no idea but If I had to guess, I'd say mid 2013.

Based on what???

Ummmmm.....the best of the best games taking their sweet ol time, nothing else.

Damn, I would have loved to have seen BRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH the videogame.

In all fairness, it would be a great concept for a game.

It really would. Inception only touched how crazy and rapidly a dream can change because of how costly and improbable it would be to shoot. Digitally, those handicaps are not there.

MDX

- Best Shooter Controller
- It IS a next-gen system
- It's natural that it's a very powerful system
- Best looking version will be on Wii U

Well, that's that.

HYYYPE!

Thats one down.

Now what about Batman: Arkham City ?
Rocksteady will have more than a year with the console.
Surely they are using the time to update the graphics, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom