• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's pretty likely that they were not aware of the WiiU when this agreement was made. Given what happened to the Wii there was no reason to assume anything regarding the Wii's successor power wise, or market wise, unlike the 720 and PS4. As long as the WiiU moves core software then I think its a pretty good chance that whatever this game is will hit the WiiU, assuming it does go multiplat.

Don't use logic here, there is no place for logic here. Nail on the head.

Activision and Bungie were well aware of the Wii and its incompatibility as well as the incompatible online so it gave them the idea that maybe WiiU might be the same issue and so probably did not inclue it at the time based on that assumption. However, now that we know WiiU is using modern hardware capable of actual scalability in being compatible to run third party multiplatform engines, WiiU will now also be a possible candidate.

Oddduck

I personally don't like the idea of the controller screen increasing in size but the resolution staying the same.

Hopefully the screen looks nice when E3 impressions roll around.

Right, but if this is true, there are two factors making the pad wider than the version you've seen in footage. I doubt it makes much difference either way though, and the comfort gained by having better-placed buttons and hopefully more ergonomic grips on the back should more than make up for it.

I think we're going to have to get used to it even like it was before.

I have a feeling it won't so bad though I KNOW people will say they can't use it for too long before cramping.

I am ecstatic over the back being all curvy.

I need to stop seeing it as a giant Gamecube controller though.

Ryoku

Maybe we should discuss Dragon Ball Z again.

I'm down.

Wii = Goten
Xbox360 = Piccolo
Playstation 3 = Vegeta
Wii U = Goku SSJ
Playstation 4 = Goku SSJ2?
Xbox 3 = Goku SSJ3?

To put things into perspective:

PC (Core i5, GTX460, 4GB RAM) = Gogeta SSJ
PC (Core i5, GTX570, 6GB RAM) = Vegeto
PC (Corei7, GTX690, 8GB RAM) = Super Vegeto

Yes? No?

OR, third-scenario, the padlet we see in the leaked picture isn't the final one again. I moderately doubt it as my sources told me "yes, it's the controller that received the updates we were noticed about".

Well, Harker said he would bet the controller at E3 is slightly different than the one in Ace's thread for whatever that is worth.

antonz

and yeah Ideaman I would safely say 6.5" is the size. Its logical too as 6.5" touchscreens are far more common in production so a cheaper BOM

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm down.

Wii = Goten
Xbox360 = Piccolo
Playstation 3 = Vegeta
Wii U = Goku SSJ
Xbox 3 = Goku SSJ3?

Yes? No?
Your power level comparisons are wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

Oddduck

Has IdeaMan said anything about what debs know about the online capabilities? What do you know IdeaMan?

That's something I would like to know because it seems like Ubisoft will be playing a large role in supporting Wii U's online. So I'm sure Ideaman can find out something about that.

tkscz

I'm down.

Wii = Goten
Xbox360 = Piccolo
Playstation 3 = Vegeta
Wii U = Goku SSJ
Xbox 3 = Goku SSJ3?

Yes? No?

Am I the only one on Neogaf who would still choose AMD over Intel?

Darryl

Banned
Hello everyone, I make videos with my family out've boredom in my spare time, and one of the shows I do is called YouTube News, which is about me and usually my dad talking about different subjects. We did a episode on Wii U speculation Thread VI on May 8th and I was gonna upload it when Thread VI went up, and since its close I will went ahead and posted it.

you & your family are hilarious

Log4Girlz

First the 512MB wouldn't be for the Upad. That's for OS and functions. The image data for the Upad would come from the 1.5GB remaining. So unless the OS is reduced, the system only has the 1.5GB for games. But like mentioned before Ideaman essentially said at least 512MB was set aside in the dev kit. That would hint that the dev kit has more than 512MB set aside. So we'll have to wait and see how small the OS footprint is in the retail unit.

Don't be modest. We know you did it.

I would be very happy with 1.5 GB for games, I'm expecting 1 GB.

DrWong

So my dear IdeaMan, now that you have shared your informations about the Upad, can we expect the other part of your leak for tonight (France time) or can I go to bed without fearing to miss something?

Zenaku

I've read the PS3 uses 96 MB for its OS and Xbox 360 32 MB, wouldn't be 512 overkill? It seems to be way too much.

Like Plinko said, it depends on the features.

Do you want to be able to pause your game and access a browser to check the net in seconds, without moving from your seat? Do you want to be able to message/voice chat/video chat with friends while playing/pausing any game? Do you want instant pause/resume/sleep mode that lets you go out for a few hours and come back, only waiting a second or two before you get back into the game?

You need a decent amount of RAM for that. I expect to be surprised by the Wii U's OS.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Has IdeaMan said anything about what devs know about the online capabilities? What do you know IdeaMan?

it's spread in the latest 200 or 300 posts i think :D
they knew some features, the rough edges, but were left in a pretty vague status for the software layer of the system, the online mode, etc. It was relevant a few weeks ago.
Expect the main bulk of the surprises, besides games of course, to originate from this area. They didn't even knew the real dashboard, very recently.

+ all the other hints, like the special flash with a huge storage capacity reserved for the OS (it doesn't mean the OS is as huge, but why having a capacity X to store something that will take X-90% ? either this "software layer" is big, either it needs a lot of free room for certain features, services, etc, either they plan to release a lot of updates and are future-proofing the system in terms of firmwares, etc.) + the RAM memory that this software layer/Wii U functionalities (including the OS) took at a time, in specific dev kits, etc.

SuperJay

So is everyone in agreement that the NFC means we can expect the Wii U to have Skylanders, a Pokemon tie-in, and 1 or 2 other half-assed attempts to utilize the technology before it's completely ignored?

and yeah Ideaman I would safely say 6.5" is the size. Its logical too as 6.5" touchscreens are far more common in production so a cheaper BOM

Nintendo's going to shift that money to the GPU for three more shaders.

Am I the only one on Neogaf who would still choose AMD over Intel?

I would only for a budget build.

I would be very happy with 1.5 GB for games, I'm expecting 1 GB.

Way to stay low. :)

So where's that thread IdeaMan?

He just posted it.

Anth0ny

Wow, that dude who leaked the controller got fired and faces legal charges.

Not to mention the ninjas coming to his house while he sleeps.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
So my dear IdeaMan, now that you have shared your informations about the Upad, can we expect the other part of your leak for tonight (France time) or can I go to bed without fearing to miss something?

no i will further talk about it with the mods to see if i create a thread about it or not. If not, i'll post the info in the next speculation thread then, hopefully before it will be moved to community. It will be in 2, 3, 4 days, i need to rest :p

And if people want to know when i'll write this new info, just give them the link of this post.
Oh and pleaseeeee, if we can spare the thread the "i hate/i doubt him/i don't like his french-fries eater methods" tonight :p

Edit: and it's not a leak of a secret picture, games, anything. It's, like often, a confirmation with details of what a few informed people guessed. Again, i don't want to spoil anything major and really surprising for Nintendo come E3.

He just posted it.
You mean that post he made where he lays out things we already know or is already speculating? Its not the thread he promised.

no i will further talk about it with the mods to see if i create a thread about it or not. If not, i'll post the info in the next speculation thread then, hopefully before it will be moved to community. It will be in 2, 3, 4 days, i need to rest :p

And if people want to know when i'll post this new info, just give them the link of this post.
Oh and pleaseeeee, if we can spare the thread the "i hate/i doubt him/i don't like his french-fries eater methods" tonight :p
First its "wait a day for membership" now its another 2,3,4 days.. Funny.

I really feel for the TT guy... I stalked his twitter for a couple of minutes when the leak was fresh and it was pretty obvious he had just posted the pic carelessly without realising what a big deal it was and what the consequences would be. What's worse is it seems he has a kid and a partner/ wife to support... dang.

Can we take the community idea from 3ds a step further and have sub-communities? I want a full gaf community umbrella
3AQmK.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
Hello everyone, I make videos with my family out've boredom in my spare time, and one of the shows I do is called YouTube News, which is about me and usually my dad talking about different subjects. We did a episode on Wii U speculation Thread VI on May 8th and I was gonna upload it when Thread VI went up, and since its close I will went ahead and posted it.

It can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5j5o1a0fjE

Its one of those "you had to be there" moments, but what started as a simple laughing blooper, turned into a entire episode. I was thinking of refilming it, but I figured it matched the crazy people who posts in these threads, so I left it alone.

Watch the whole thing because we actually do start talking about the sixth thread, before we start laughing again. I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed making it. It was truly a magical video for us to make lol.

I'm still 19 pages behind. Sad about this getting moved to community. (and Burntpork being banned.)

Your video was very amusing! It's hard to hear though.

Terrell

I feel like I'm the only one in this thread that doesn't like DB (or, for that matter, most of what comes out of Shonen Jump). :(

You're seriously not. But yes, DBZ Abridged is seriously funny stuff.

Really? I could see being fired, but legal charges, damn.

NDAs are SERIOUS SHIT. Why do you think most of the leaked information is done in ways that do not trace back to personal identity? We get a lot of info from people who either don't disclose ANY personal information about themselves or do so by proxy in the case of posters like IdeaMan. If you're gonna leak, make sure that there's no way to trace it back to the source.

antonz

Nintendo's going to shift that money to the GPU for three more shaders.

I would only for a budget build.

Way to stay low. :)

He just posted it.

I dunno the 6.5" may allow 10 more shaders :p 6.5 is alot more common than 6.2 and probably does save Nintendo noticable money over the large production planned

HylianTom

Banned
I really feel for the TT guy... I stalked his twitter for a couple of minutes when the leak was fresh and it was pretty obvious he had just posted the pic carelessly without realising what a big deal it was and what the consequences would be. What's worse is it seems he has a kid and a partner/ wife to support... dang.

Yeah.. I found his twitter photo log pretty entertaining. Lots of soccer and video game references, which is right up my alley!

Terrell

I feel for the kid and the wife/partner, but really.... what the hell is he doing flouting NDAs with a family to think of?! You revoke the option to be careless like that when you have more than yourself to think about. It's part of the reason I don't want to be a parent right now.

You mean that post he made where he lays out things we already know or is already speculating? Its not the thread he promised.

First its "wait a day for membership" now its another 2,3,4 days.. Funny.

The post about the screen size change and stuff. That's new.

I dunno the 6.5" may allow 10 more shaders :p 6.5 is alot more common than 6.2 and probably does save Nintendo noticable money over the large production planned

Games to run 1FPS faster confirmed.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

And if people want to know when i'll post this new info, just give them the link of this post.

Edit: and it's not a leak of a secret picture, games, anything. It's, like often, a confirmation of a few informed people guessed. Again, i don't want to spoil anything major and really surprising for Nintendo come E3.

USB 3.0 CONFIRMED THANK YOU BASED REGGIE

BY2K

Membero Americo

Edit: and it's not a leak of a secret picture, games, anything. It's, like often, a confirmation of a few informed people guessed. Again, i don't want to spoil anything major and really surprising for Nintendo come E3.

USB 3.0! BELIEVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom