• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread V: The Final Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what were these ps4 target specs again?

I'm not going to post them here because I don't want to.

Ugh, that EC, always teasing us when we're entitled to hard information! Can a mod come in and swing the banhammer on this guy?

>_>

this post is not serious -- just clarifying because I've been busting my ass in GIMP for the past week and don't want to suddenly find myself unable to create a thread… or post.

Yes, but for all parties. E3 brings out the worst fanboy in everybody, and like Bruce Banner dealing with the Hulk, some just aren't able to keep it in check..

That's our secret…

…we're always hyped.

Edit: Aargh, I was beaten on that!? You jerks!

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
:lol
If you want to stop talking about something, then don't reply. Krev has every right to talk about whatever he wants, and he doesn't need to be told when to close a conversation. Or maybe you just have to have the last word.....

Why do you feel the need to "answer" in his place ? :)
"IF we COULD close" (the bold words are important...)
And it's a polite way to say that this thread will be much better without all this pollution that occurred yesterday, suddenly.

Zennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn !!!

Otherwise, the confirmation by EA about a new Dead Space has been relayed here ?

Hiltz

Nintendo always makes one huge mistake when they release a new game console, though that mistake doesn't necessarily result in failure. What I'm wondering is, which huge mistake are they going to make with the Wii-U?

They seem to be making up for their Wii mistakes of not targeting the core crowd enough and designing a system incapable of getting cheap ports from the other consoles of the generation, and they claim that they learned their lesson from the 3DS of not launching without AAA games, leaving it all up to third-parties at launch. So what huge mistake is Nintendo going to make?

On the online side of things, it doesn't look like people are happy with Nintendo's backwards thinking of pricing downloadable packages games the same as the retail version.Wasn't this a core issue the PSP Go ? Not saying it will kill off the Wii U, but this business model obviously sounds like bad news.

test_account

XP-39C²
I bought a pinball game for the Wii this generation. It was pretty awesome, too. No idea what they're talking about....
They only said that Pinball Arcade (capitalized first letters, so speaking about the specific game) couldnt run on Wii. I guess they ment at the current state with the graphics.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The Wii can run a 100+ hours RPG with huge zones like Xenoblade, but can't run a pinball game?

I believe this.

Pinball arcade has a pretty intense and accurate physics model running in the background, which is why the game is so great. It feels like real pinball.
But this could very well be the reason for not porting it to the Wii seeing as it is apparently quite taxing on the hardware.

It sounds awesome and would be a very big draw for the system and its online platform, but would you enjoy Animal Crossing as much if all the characters were Miis?

Then suppose you could create your own animal based on archetypes from past games (dog, cat, bird, mouse, whatever). Nintendo's own furry Home!

On the online side of things, it doesn't look like people are happy with Nintendo's backwards thinking of pricing downloadable packages games the same as the retail version.Wasn't this a core issue the PSP Go ? Not saying it will kill off the Wii U, but this business model obviously sounds like bad news.

I thought partnering with brick and mortar retailers meant that retailers would set whatever price they want for the digital version, including putting it on sale etc.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I was thinking more along the lines of this.

It would be awesome, but would you enjoy Animal Crossing as much if all the characters were Miis?

I'm hoping they have games to show that make really cool use of the controller and haven't already sold millions of units across three other platforms.

Well the other villagers that aren't tied to an account would be CPU animal villagers. But if somehow I had a whole village filled with users from my system and friend's list, that would be even better. Allow tons of customization for your Mii through an achievement system (similar to streetpass on 3DS) and I would greatly enjoy having tons of unpredictable neighbors over cute Animals that do the same thing everyday.

Dr.Hadji

people really feel that way? people that aren't new to gaming??
this gen was a complete clusterf*ck, a circus of the absurd, FUBAR written all over it!
SO many stupid moves it boggles the mind!

Its been all good for me. I know other people have problems with other things but that don't bother me.

Skiesofwonder

I totally agree. One for the ages, man.

GCN/PS2/DC/Xbox-GEN was by far the best gaming-wise (out of all the ones I was old enough to remember/experience).

Note: Those gens being N64/PS1/Saturn, GameCube/PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox, and Wii/PS3/360.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Then suppose you could create your own animal based on archetypes from past games (dog, cat, bird, mouse, whatever). Nintendo's own furry Home!
That would be nice, but Nintendo would definitely use Miis.
Well the other villagers that aren't tied to an account would be CPU animal villagers. But if somehow I had a whole village filled with users from my system and friend's list, that would be even better. Allow tons of customization for your Mii through an achievement system (similar to streetpass on 3DS) and I would greatly enjoy having tons of unpredictable neighbors over cute Animals that do the same thing everyday.
Going fishing with Hitler and Darth Vader could be fun.

But really, it's a great idea and it would be a very big draw for the system's online platform.

Im telling you Ideaman, its time you just close up shop, and laugh your way to E3 with any and all knowledge you still have. As I have said before, if people aren't going to respect you, why continue to try to please them?

i like your teases

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I thought partnering with brick and mortar retailers meant that retailers would set whatever price they want for the digital version, including putting it on sale etc.

That's how I understood it as well. Iwata made special mention of the fact third parties could set their own prices.

Nintendo always makes one huge mistake when they release a new game console, though that mistake doesn't necessarily result in failure. What I'm wondering is, which huge mistake are they going to make with the Wii-U?

They seem to be making up for their Wii mistakes of not targeting the core crowd enough and designing a system incapable of getting cheap ports from the other consoles of the generation, and they claim that they learned their lesson from the 3DS of not launching without AAA games, leaving it all up to third-parties at launch. So what huge mistake is Nintendo going to make?

They might show a teaser trailer for Zelda this year - they tend to show teasers at least a year in advance, and the launch of a new system is definitely a great time to show people the awesomeness that is on the way.

For what it's worth, every console maker makes one or more huge mistakes when they release a new game console. For one or more reasons, Nintendo's mistakes are focused upon while the others often get a free pass or are eventually forgiven.

That said, here's a short list of possible things that the gaming media may come down upon:

* no clickysticks (though it seems this will happen after all)
* lack of analogity in the triggers
* USB 2.0
* no wireless Classic Controller
* no optical audio
* no cross-game chat (I suspect the Wii U could have a universal chat which will be independent of games entirely)

Portugeezer

Oh?
Like:

"So as of an hour ago, I'm really hyped for the Wii U's launch line up!"

or

"A certain publisher is showing off a game soon to journalists."

or

"Saw lots of cool stuff at GDC for the Wii U"

Everyone with insider knowledge likes to tease. IdeaMan simply does it in his own way. And why people get so upset about it is mind boggling.
He's not saying anything outrageous.

I agree, it only makes me happy, assuming he is a reliable source, which is probably true otherwise you guys would have pointed it out.

The Wii can't run a pinball game.

Fucking sad:[

How is that even possible unless the game is shown from the first-person perspective of the ball?

Pinball arcade has a pretty intense and accurate physics model running in the background, which is why the game is so great. It feels like real pinball.
But this could very well be the reason for not porting it to the Wii seeing as it is apparently quite taxing on the hardware.

This is a good explanation. Thank you. :)

D_prOdigy

Crazy Theories of the Day (officially just switched local time)

-e3 will see the announcement of Kingdom Hearts 3, Beyond Good & Evil 2, and Time Splitters 4 for Wii U, but no footage will be shown.
-Pokemon Battle Sim, Lego City Stories and Rayman won't be the only launch titles to have NFC figurine use (Killer Freaks characters unlocked that way)
-Retro is making a Rogue Squadron-esque game based on the Star Fox/F-Zero universe.
- EAD Tokyo has a new non-platforming IP.
- NST has revived Project H.A.M.M.E.R and made it actually fun.

I'm not quite optimistic enough to believe that the whole "TimeSplitters 4 isn't happening" is actually grand disinformation manoeuvre architected by Nintendo as a service to some internet-dwelling fans, so I think we can rule this out.

Shiggy

This is going to be Nintendo's first HD Zelda title. You can bet that when Nintendo first reveals it, they're going to go all-out.

If they do decide to show this year (and I kinda doubt it), I might scream and get a bit teary-eyed. We've waited so long for this.. *sniff*

Well, TP and Skyward Sword weren't really showing the graphical capabilities of the hardware they used either.

Linkhero1

GCN/PS2/DC/Xbox-GEN was by far the best gaming-wise (out of all the ones I was old enough to remember/experience).

Note: Those gens being N64/PS1/Saturn, GameCube/PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox, and Wii/PS3/360.

I agree. I owned a GC up until a few years ago (when the PS3 finally came out, we decided to get a PS2 LOL)

I had no problem with third party on the GC, although you can tell there was still a lot of good games missing. I wouldn't mind the same thing this generation with just a bit more than the GC. I think we're already seeing it from western devs.

Linkhero1

Based on Crysis 3, EA isn't gonna do shit on Wii U outside of sports games, MoH, and Battlefield.

Come on. You don't honestly believe that. The Sims has to fit into this equation some how.

I hate to play the NDA card, but they're under NDA too. We have to wait and see what they have for the console before we judge it based of Crysis 3 not coming to it.

Sardello

Things that have been supported by Nintendo since Wii or earlier:

- online multiplayer, leaderboards, matchmaking
- online store with digital game/app downloads including things like Netflix
- voice chat (and not even just WiiSpeak, DS had voice chat, Wii has a headset)
- rudimentary friend lists
- video channel with regular news, trailers, and other custom content
- web browser
- automatic delivery of digital content via WiiConnect24 (see Brawl custom stages)
- patches (see Conduit and Call of Duty online multi patches)
- DLC (see Rock Band, My Life as a King)

Areas where the 3DS has improved:

- universal friend list that applies to all games
- notification that a friend is online and what they are playing
- apps that can be run without exiting out of your game session, including the friend list and web browser
- online store better organized to show off certain content, videos, screenshots
- game demos for both digital and retail
- background downloading of large files like demos
- better support for automatic delivery of digital content (see Nintendo Video, Kid Icarus)
- online communities/rooms with certain rule sets (Mario Kart 7)
- transfer of digital purchases from one device to another

Areas where we know the 3DS (and presumably WiiU) will continue to improve:

- smoother transfer of digital purchases between devices; an account that tracks purchases independent of hardware (see Nintendo investor meeting January)
- better patch support (see Nintendo investor meeting April)
- better DLC support
- support for digital releases of retail games
- voice chat with people outside of your friend list (Heroes of Ruin)
- an overall smoother online experience, if all the recent improvements are any indication

What else is needed/desired? Achievements, party chat, better pop-up notifications of what your friends are doing?

I think Nintendo is on the right path just need it more streamlined.. adding friends you play with in games makes making friends easier, Friend online pop up, notfications showing who messaging within the interface Wii had it but on 3DS you gotta go to swapnote to send some kinda message..basicly just make it all simple and accessable within the interface.
What I want and Nintendo promised is a very simple thing... an account named SARDELLO and a serch button I can use to find friends.

What I have in mind is very simple, but still incredible complicated for nintendo (because of internet random meetings that can hurt young children minds?).

Give me a Universal Name, a search button, a chat system that allow me to communicate with friends playing online and the chance to create chat rooms before starting a game.

Obviously the server must work properly and something like the Wii experience is inadmissible (at least in EU it was impossible to have fun because of lag and congested servers).

I'm asking for a minimun service level today provided by each console competitor or standard online pc game.

rhoq

I bought a pinball game for the Wii this generation. It was pretty awesome, too. No idea what they're talking about....

Me, too.

A quick check of Amazon shows that it is the Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection that I have for the Wii. The game looks almost as good as the video shown on FarSight's website.

The logo designs are nearly identical, so I wonder if it's a matter of the license changing hands to FarSight Studios. The one that was released on the Wii was published by Crave.

HylianTom

Banned
Its been all good for me. I know other people have problems with other things but that don't bother me.
Same here. I've had a hoot with the games. And watching the sideshow/political aspect of the industry has been a good side-diversion.

This generation is looking to be quite promising in these areas once again.

Skiesofwonder

But really, it's a great idea and it would be a very big draw for the system's online platform.

Agreed, I think it would be. Nintendo could potentially make more money this way then releasing a stand-alone AC through DLC and also more users using their shops/online system because of integration through AC.

It would have a similar effect to what streetpass does for me. I'm more likely to carry my 3DS with me over my Vita just because of how addicted I am to collecting all those stupid puzzle pieces lol. Just like the XBL achievement system makes you more likely to buy a digital or multi-platform game for 360, AC integration would make a lot of people choose Wii-U versions over other consoles.

HylianTom

Banned

I loved jogging with the Hitler, the Golden Girls, Jerri Blank, Reggie, Shiggy, etc with Wii Fit. And I'd always smile if Betty White ended-up next to me for our step aerobics routine. :)

BurntPork

Banned
Come on. You don't honestly believe that. The Sims has to fit into this equation some how.

I hate to play the NDA card, but they're under NDA too. We have to wait and see what they have for the console before we judge it based of Crysis 3 not coming to it.
I forgot about The Sims, actually.

A flat-out no is a flat-out no.

orioto

Good Art™

Well, for me they are doing the same as usual with the WiiU...

_paradoxical and confused conception. They're saying they want to aim to the cores this time but the whole concept of the console seems oriented around the family. They want to change but yet they keep the Wii name, they want to have a more classical and all around control method but they're putting them in a corner with the need fo wiimotes... The exact same they did with 3ds, which is focused on 3D yet keep some non coherent aspects from the nds for the sake of it.

_About the launch games, i'm hoping for good surprises cause for now it's looking a lot like the 3ds to. Lots of third party games, lots of multi... But especially i'm really worried about a fact, that everyone seems to be pleased about it seems..

We're hearing about tons of PS360 games that will come to the WiiU... But to me it's gonna weaken its appeal to new gamer customers pretty badly. The WiiU NEEDS to give people the feeling it's a step into the next gen, from the beginning. It's its only way to capture some gamers outside the already convinced Nintendo enthusiasts.

The worst it could happen to the WiiU is to give the feeling to some that it's the same as they've been playing with the 6 last years.

For that it needs to show:
_Nintendo and third party, or exclusive third party games that have enough shiny shaders/art style to make a clear difference with actual gen, and with pc gaming and diminishing returns, you know that won't be an easy task, but i'm confident for that at least.
_And especially, what it would need for me, to escape the closing gate of the actual gen before it's trap with its end, is NEXT GEN multi games! I mean something that isn't going to be done for the 360/PS3, that is, for exemple a pc game aimed at crazy stats (not something like Crysis 3 which is done with actual consoles in mind) that you could play first on WiiU, before the next consoles are released.

It's worrying me a lot, cause every "would be so great to see a GTAV or REVI on WiiU" is massive trap for me. Sure we here, who buy Nintendo consoles anyway, will be really happy to have the big games on it, and something like GTAV is massive sure, but it will send the wrong message to the others.

Linkhero1

I forgot about The Sims, actually.

A flat-out no is a flat-out no.

I know Crysis 3 isn't coming, but I"m saying we shouldn't judge other EA titles not coming to the system based on Crysis 3 not coming. E3 is in about 30 days so we have fun times ahead of us. :)

Edit:

For me the only thing Nintendo can screw up now is their online. I don't play much online games, but I don't want the Wii U Shop looking anything like the clusterfuck the 3DS eShop is. It would be tons better, but they choose to have a pretty bad layout.

Skiesofwonder

I agree. I owned a GC up until a few years ago (when the PS3 finally came out, we decided to get a PS2 LOL)

I had no problem with third party on the GC, although you can tell there was still a lot of good games missing. I wouldn't mind the same thing this generation with just a bit more than the GC. I think we're already seeing it from western devs.

Well I was talking about all systems as a whole, but yes Gamecube was a better system as a singular entity to own compared to Wii and N64. Though I believe Wii had better exclusives then both of those honestly, and as a multi-console owner, Wii is my favorite Nintendo-made home console because of that.

As for systems as a whole, Dreamcast, GCN, PS2, and Xbox all had unique and compelling reasons to own each. Each had some amazing exclusives, and each was well worth the moolah I spent on them. This generation I could of been more then happy to just own a Wii and 360 or PS3 (PS3 has better exclusives now IMO so I probably would go with that), there is no real reason to own both though. There have been so many hyped up games this generation that have turned out to be stinkers for me.... It sucks.

BurntPork

Banned
For what it's worth, every console maker makes one or more huge mistakes when they release a new game console. For one or more reasons, Nintendo's mistakes are focused upon while the others often get a free pass or are eventually forgiven.

That said, here's a short list of possible things that the gaming media may come down upon:

* no clickysticks (though it seems this will happen after all)
* lack of analogity in the triggers
* USB 2.0
* no wireless Classic Controller
* no optical audio
* no cross-game chat (I suspect the Wii U could have a universal chat which will be independent of games entirely)
The triggers will be analog. If Circle Pad Pro has analog triggers, I have no doubt Wii U will as well.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Well, TP and Skyward Sword weren't really showing the graphical capabilities of the hardware they used either.

I don't agree with this statement.
To me both TP and SS were top notch under a graphical point of view, considering GC and Wii hardware

When i become a member and if i can create a thread about it

But the other, non-teasing part of my message (completed with a following one about this delay story) is already interesting :p

How do you go from Junior to full member ?.

Also Ideaman, is the Wii U GPU, giga or teraFLOPS ? ;).

If it's giga then we will see the same problems as this gen regarding cross platform games imo considering PS4 and 720 are rumoured to be just over 2 terraFLOPS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TP is easily one of the best games graphic-wise as far as the GameCube is concerned.

Nibel

Based on Crysis 3, EA isn't gonna do shit on Wii U outside of sports games, MoH, and Battlefield.

Crytek =/= Visceral Games (or whoever is responsible for DS now)

Remember: there has been a DS game on Wii, there has been one on iOS. EA wants to bring this on every possible platform.

HylianTom

Banned
Whether anyone gets banned during E3 depends if Nintendo meets expectations or not.

If they do, I don't think there will be any problems. If they don't, people like Ace start getting irrational and that's when the bans usually start.

Something about Nintendo makes people here get crazy. Its an endless cycle of people irrationally attacking Nintendo and people irrationally defending them. I don't think either side is more to blame, its just how things are.
I don't know.. I get the sense that many long-time Nintendo fans have seen it all at this point and can hold their own. Ace isn't gonna implode after coming this far; the dude's stout of mind.

As for those attacking? Self-restraint when responding.. and hope that the mods are swift.

Shiggy

I don't agree with this statement.
To me both TP and SS were top notch under a graphical point of view, considering GC and Wii hardware

At least the former had just pretty ugly textures in place. For some reasons, many people aren't bother by low quality textures, but I really hate them. That's also one reason I don't like Pandora's Tower too much.
And I'm pretty certain that both the GC and Wii could've produced some much better textures, as evidenced by various other titles. The Zelda team just doesn't seem to be able to use the power abilities of Nintendo consoles to fullest extent possible.

ecosse_011172

I hope to god they make the face buttons bigger.
How they think small, handheld-style buttons are suitable for a home console is beyond belief..

Linkhero1

Well I was talking about all systems as a whole, but yes Gamecube was a better system as a singular entity to own compared to Wii and N64. Though I believe Wii had better exclusives then both of those honestly, and as a multi-console owner, Wii is my favorite Nintendo-made home console because of that.

As for systems as a whole, Dreamcast, GCN, PS2, and Xbox all had unique and compelling reasons to own each. Each had some amazing exclusives, and each was well worth the moolah I spent on them. This generation I could of been more then happy to just own a Wii and 360 or PS3 (PS3 has better exclusives now IMO so I probably would go with that), there is no real reason to own both though. There have been so many hyped up games this generation that have turned out to be stinkers for me.... It sucks.

I do agree that the Wii had a lot better exclusives than the GC. I think first party output was even better. I just think the absence of some key third party titles let me down. I just want to be a one console owner, but this generation made me buy all three to enjoy certain titles.

Aside from a few titles on Xbox 360 and Wii, I've been disappointed with most of my purchases. If you look at my shelve of games I can honestly say I haven't finished half of them due to lack of interest and motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom