• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the minority, but I think Wii U Zelda comes out next Holiday. I think it's been in development since mid 2011.

Skyward Sword was 5 years in development... Not gonna happen. Even 3D Mario with just 3 1/2 years is not likely. But hey, the hired alot of people lately...

iyppMhJnl7LiE.gif

Art takes time - homeconsole Zelda is not Call Of Duty. Forget homeconsole Zelda for now.

you don't have to be like that about it though, you know how Zelda crazy Nintendo can be

Instro

I am in the minority, but I think Wii U Zelda comes out next Holiday. I think it's been in development since mid 2011.

It's possible, there is certainly precedent for us to get a Zelda within the first year of new hardware like TWW. I wouldn't count on such a thing happening though, unless they were secretly developing this game before Skyward Sword even finished.

The new 3DS Zelda will most likely be there at least... Ocarina 3D was outsourced so it could have been in development for quite a while.

if Nintendo wanted a Zelda at WiiU launch they could have found the resources for it and planned ahead 5 years if they had to. So we don't have to call the guy crazy if he wants a WiiU Zelda for fall 2013

I am not saying he is right, I am just saying its not impossible for Nintendo do have the resources and secrecy needed to pull it off without us having had known about it.

I would rather see Zelda skip this whole generation if I had my way

Wind Waker HD be damned

HylianTom

Banned
This might be sacrilege, but.. I honestly wouldn't mind if Zelda went back to being a once-per-generation affair, so long as the one console title that does come out is:
a) absolutely massive - to the point where the world map is Wind Waker-scaled huge, with lots to explore off the beaten path; and,
b) magnificent

I also wonder if Nintendo knows that, with this being the first HD Zelda ever, more people than ever will be looking at the title they make. With this in mind, they could possibly be a bit more cautious about making this game as absolutely fantastic and grande as possible. This is probably why I tend to think we'll see it released later rather than sooner.

Terrell

And what might that prediction be?

From the 3rd thread:
It's time for a prognostication, or at least an expansion on a previous musing of mine...

WiiU will cause a major industry schism, but not one that you might think.

I see the Japanese development community banking on WiiU in full force, with the exception being those who are only able to sell primarily to the West (see: Hideo Kojima), as a hope to returning to a one-console paradigm in the Japanese market and bringing life back to consoles there (it can not be argued that the decline in Japanese development coinciding with the necessitation of multi-platform game design is the reason for their decline).
Meanwhile, Western devs will either multi-plat as usual or skip the WiiU in favor of selling on the Xbox successor and, therefore, PS4, putting Sony in an awkward position of being a Japanese console with marginalized Japanese sales.

This will cause a huge divide in the gaming population that many predicted would happen with the appearance of the original Xbox, as Japanese gaming will see a surge of activity that puts them back in line with their former glory days and closely rivals Western output. This is what happens when Japan's development community finally bets on a winning horse again in the console arena.

CALLING IT.

This was also in tandem with predicting a Versus XIII port which appeared to come to pass after "something unrelated" to the game held up new info being published by Famitsu, and after successfully predicting DQX getting a WiiU version.

It was an expansion of this post:

My prognosticating prowess is quite solid, since I've been perfecting my abilities for the past 10 years in the console gaming market, and some of it I still keep to myself just because some of it is a bit.... out there. I'm right more often than I would like to be, as being right usually comes with unexpected consequences.

I predicted the death of Sega as far back as the Saturn launch, but then the Dreamcast hit and I BEGGED to be wrong.

I then predicted that Sega would fracture their fan base by putting the wrong franchises on the wrong consoles. Now most of their franchises are dead or dying because of low sales due to such a miscalculation, with only a few new ones coming from them internally.

I predicted that Sony's lack of repeating full domination this gen would mean that Japanese developers would either have to suck it up and bring titles to Wii or drive themselves into the background.
Unexpected consequence: Japanese games continued to be made for HD consoles, but it wasn't HD that killed them this gen, it was MULTI-PLATFORM HD development that made Japan look completely ineffectual and irrelevant beyond even what I could predict, as up until now, Japanese developers have been able to rely on developing a game for a single platform to drive sales, only resorting to an after-release port if they were desperate. Portable gaming EXPLODES as Japanese developers used it as a life-raft to make it through the generation.

That last one is the basis for my talk about the return of the exclusive... Japan was banking on one console outperforming others, but they bet on the wrong one (PS3) and suffered the consequences of being forced to multi-plat like the west to meet sales targets.
If Japan's 3rd-parties see an opportunity to have another PS2 in Japan that is close enough power-wise to other systems that there's less risk involved, the dog pile will commence and Japanese HD development will explode IN CONJUNCTION with the return of the exclusive. It will likely take time while they continue to hedge bets, and many will still continue to multi-plat, but the 3rd-party exclusive is not going to die outright if Japan has anything to say about it.

I'm still shocked about the fact Wii U will (rumoured) receive LoS 2.

Konami's kind of on my cr@p list for the MGS3D sent to die debacle and recent Kojima comments, but if this turns out true (cross play with an upcoming 3DS title as well) and they do a good job they might just manage to scrape themselves off of it.

if Nintendo wanted a Zelda at WiiU launch they could have found the resources for it and planned ahead 5 years if they had to. So we don't have to call the guy crazy if he wants a WiiU Zelda for fall 2013

I am not saying he is right, I am just saying its not impossible for Nintendo do have the resources and secrecy needed to pull it off without us having had known about it.

I would rather see Zelda skip this whole generation if I had my way

Wind Waker HD be damned

I didn´t call him anything. A console Zelda is just unlikely this year. I´m not saying it won´t happen, but chances aren´t too good for that though...

Instro

For what it's worth, same person allegedly talked about Mirror of Fate before anyone else.

I would guess this is probably the same person who alleged that whole fake game lineup last year that people bought into. Getting "2D Castlevania" correct, is a no brainier. Particularly considering that its been rumored since the console was announced, and was basically confirmed in development a year ago by ShockingAlberto.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What are the chances of third parties developing their own engines again? I'm not very knowledgeable in the whole engine area, but would it save developers time and money to manufacture their own inhouse engine? I don't know if the licensing costs are that high, but I'm just wondering.

Capcpom for instance has their MT Framework engine; they released Lost Planet and Dead Rising on 360 and those two generated enough sales to break even.

Bethesda: Creation Engine, id Tech 5/6
EA: Frostbite 2
Capcom: MT Framework
Kojima Studios: FOX Engine
Square Enix: Luminous Engine
Ubisoft: LyN, Anvil
Crytek: CryEngine 3

Frostbite 2 and id Tech 5 are probably the most notable examples. I think a lot of publishers next generation will want to push in-house technology versus licensing. EA in particular will push Frostbite 2 pretty hard.

Oddduck

So I'm just curious guys,

What ports that have already been announced for Wii U are you most likely buying ?

Assassins Creed 3?
Rayman Legends?
Darksiders 2?
Alien Colonial Marines?
Metro Last Light?
Batman: Arkham City?
Project Cars?
Dirt?
Ninja Gaiden 3 (lol haha yeah right) ?

What ports that have already been announced for Wii U are you most likely buying (for Wii U)?

Darksiders 2?
Alien Colonial Marines?
Metro Last Light?
Project Cars?
Dirt?

Darksiders for sure.
Maybe Assassin's Creed 3.

Dascu

I would guess this is probably the same person who alleged that whole fake game lineup last year that people bought into. Getting "2D Castlevania" correct, is a no brainier. Particularly considering that its been rumored since the console was announced, and was basically confirmed in development a year ago by ShockingAlberto.

This 4chan person talked about a 3DS Castlevania announcement being imminent, a day before that Dutch site popped up with the news article.

Later, a person claiming to be the same one, said that the Paul Gale stuff was nonsense, at least the WiiU and Vita versions of LoS2.

I know how fishy 4chan is, but I'd say it'd be best not to get our hopes up for LoS2 on WiiU.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ah well, hope dashed :). I don't care too much for bang for the buck, I just want as awesome looking games as possible, so alien tech is what i would have wanted. However if this keeps the unit small and price down it's at least something.
Well, some say nintende are the friggin aliens of this industry, so I guess you'll get your wish granted after all ; )

What ports that have already been announced for Wii U are you most likely buying ?

Assassins Creed 3?
Rayman Legends?
Darksiders 2?
Alien Colonial Marines?
Metro Last Light?
Project Cars?
Dirt?

AC3 for sure.
Rayman and Batman at some point, probably not on launch (or release) day.

Sadist

I'm interested in Arkham City and Aliens CM. Darksiders II looks nice as well, but I'm not sure about it. Own the first one for PC and never completed it. Can't play it again for some reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Assassins Creed 3?
Rayman Legends?
Darksiders 2?
Alien Colonial Marines?
Metro Last Light?
Project Cars?
Dirt?

None :(.

Well, maybe Rayman Legends.

Instro

This 4chan person talked about a 3DS Castlevania announcement being imminent, a day before that Dutch site popped up with the news article.

Later, a person claiming to be the same one, said that the Paul Gale stuff was nonsense, at least the WiiU and Vita versions of LoS2.

I know how fishy 4chan is, but I'd say it'd be best not to get our hopes up for LoS2 on WiiU.

Ah so this is a different situation then. Ok

The 2nd part sounds dubious, impersonating someone who got something right is fairly common there, but either way we will know soon enough. I would think its a pretty big missed opportunity with the 3DS game coming.

TheChits

I'm excited for Darksiders 2 and Rayman Legends, but I'm really hyped for Colonial Marines. I can't wait to see what Gearbox can do with the controller

EatChildren

I'll believe in Lords of Shadow 2 on Wii U when it's formally announced. Until then, I'll assume I'll be buying it on my PS3.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Assassins Creed 3?
Rayman Legends?
Darksiders 2?
Alien Colonial Marines?
Metro Last Light?
Project Cars?
Dirt?

Maybe Colonial Marines and Rayman Legends. I'm interested in Darksiders 2 as well, but we'll see.

Assassins Creed 3? Interest high
Rayman Legends? Maybe
Darksiders 2? Almost a lock due to obvious tablet uses
Alien Colonial Marines? Ditto
Metro Last Light? Just made a post about it, probably PC
Batman: Arkham City? Great game, already have it on PS3 though so it'll need a good price tag and exclusive content to ensure a purchase. Give me a collection of it with Asylum, all the DLC, Improved graphics, unique features and a $40 SRP and I'll bite.
Project Cars? Don't like racing sims
Dirt? Codemasters has traditionally treated N consoles like dirt, they can eat it.
Ninja Gaiden 3? Not with those reviews. DOA5 instead please.

Oddduck

If the Metroid x StarFox rumor and the LoS rumor both turn out to be bullshit, will Gaf stop treating Paul Gale's rumors as a legitimate rumor mill?

I mean big deal, he got Playstation All Stars rumor right. Emily Rogers reported Pikmin 3 switching to Project Cafe 2 months before any sites or Miyamoto confirmed it. Her rumors went off the deep end and got more ridiculous. She claimed to be talking to multiple sources and said that was why not all of her rumors were true. How is this different from Paul? Paul says the same thing.

As far as I'm concerned, his batting average on rumors is no better than Emily Rogers.

Getting one rumor right doesn't make anyone a reliable source for rumors.

I have no fucking clue how this would even work. Would Hyrule Field just be a lobby? :lol

think about all the races of Hyrule over the years as character classes
your hero your way... no pansy in green suit :3

I'll pick a Queen Fairy

"Hey!"

"Hey!"

anyone everyone with "Hey!"

and "Dancing"

As some of you might know, me and my family make funny youtube videos for fun that are mostly about video games. Well we recently made a Pre E3 Hype video where we were supposed to talk about E3 before it happens, but I completely lost it in the video at the possibilities of Hd Nintendo games.

So without further ado:

YouTube News - Episode 28 - OH MY GAWD! HIGH DEFINITION NINTENDO FRANCHISES!!!!!!!!!!!11

Which can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYjJ976rJ7M

Watch the video for some laughs! Just be sure to watch all the way through for the funny parts since my dad kept interupting the video!

I recently made a video for Wii U Speculation Thread VI which can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5j5o1a0fjE

My next video on Tuesday will be a video about the ending of one of my favorite youtube series, so it won't be posted here. I guess I will post NeoGAF News Episode 6 in this thread since it will mostly be about pre E3 Wii U stuff.

I am planning on posting a video for every day of E3 week from June 3rd to June 9th.

They are:

3rd: Pre E3 Hype!
4th: Microsoft Conference
5th: Sony's Conference
6th: Nintendo's Conference
7th-9th: Various News about E3

After that, and maybe taking a week break after E3, I plan on posting a new video every Tuesday and Saturday.

I have alot of work heh. I hope yall enjoy my videos! Subscribe on my youtube channel to get the latest of my videos since I only post them in a specific NeoGAF thread if its revelant to that thread.

Seriously...Ninetndo games in HD...it shall be...GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom