• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddduck

supposed pic of ""Metroid HD concept made by ex-Retro Studios employee."

007_max.jpg

Even if thats fake, it's bad ass.

Do you mean the single-player stuff? Or just the general control of the vehicles?

While I do find GX to be patently unfair in single-player, it is one of the most mechanically satisfying racers I've ever played. I still bring it out every few months to challenge my old time-attack scores.
Yeah, single player, I never played multiplayer.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Who are the PS/360 ones?

Infamous Chris, MrPliskin, and canova are only three among those who've been banned within the last month or so, including recently, for poor behaviour. Plenty of people were banned for trolling on the other side of the fence.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
That mockup's colors are very clashing. Usually Retro/Metroid designs stick to a central color scheme for an area so you can (nearly) instantly realize where you are in terms of area.

It looks more like Doom deviantart mockup with a Samus visor HUD overlayed

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And a little speculation, we need more techies-than-me hindsight on that like blu or alstrong, but is there a typical function of a modern GPU like what Wii U will get, compare to the chips of the previous generation, that could be apparent, activated, more in the tail of a game development ? Like a more efficient anti-aliasing or texture filtering that could increase even more the visuals differences of a multi-port between Wii U and PS360 ?
That's a rather complicated question. While bells & whistles are often enabled at advanced stages of the dev cycle (just because said features are often developed in parallel with the rest of the project tasks), there's normally a stage past which visual bulletpoints are not introduced anymore. Unless said bulletpoints had an originally well-known impact on the framerate, i.e. they were accounted for from the start. Or, during the late profiling and optimisation stages, a breakthrough was made which either freed up sufficient resources for extra features which were previously not meeting the bar, or somebody figured out how to implement cheaply a feature originally deemed too costly. But as a rule of thumb, planned visual features are not left unchecked till late into the dev cycle, when they'd be 'switched on', fingers crossed they would not throw the framerate in havoc.

That said, if U-GPU does implement MSAA for cheap, the presence or absence of FSAA in the final product might be a matter of whether devs managed to leave sufficient spare edram for NxMSAA or not.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wonder if Nintendo will have anything that rivals the production values, polish and technical wizardry of The Last of Us, Crysis 3 and God of War: Ascension.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I wonder if Nintendo will have anything that rivals the production values, polish and technical wizardry of The Last of Us, Crysis 3 and God of War: Ascension.

This'll be the first time they can prove it, can't wait to see their capabilities. I am ever so slightly doubtful.

Retro's game seems like the best bet until Zelda is ready. If Retro is working on some sort of action game, then they to go for what you described.

AzaK

Hey guys, could some kind soul link me the e3 chat and that alternate GAF forum someone set up a while back? Thanks.

Do you actually mean a Nintendo developed thing, or just shown during their conference? I imagine we'll get something really sexy looking but maybe not made by them. i.e. Crysis or something.

I think those two are pretty much granted for a Nintendo-developed triple-A title, especially one that should potentially be a system-seller.

As for "production values", in the general sense, I'm not really sure.

Roo

It definitely would be nice to have at least one new Nintendo IP that pushes the graphics (like the games you mentioned) to their limits.

Nintendo Magic + Highly detailed graphics = visual orgasm

Sendou

What I want to see announced next week is WarioWare Wii U. Just imagine the possibilities with D.I.Y style custom microgames combined with worthy online features. Not to mention that the tablet is almost perfect for this kind of game.

That's a rather complicated question. While bells & whistles are often enabled at advanced stages of the dev cycle (just because said features are often developed in parallel with the rest of the project tasks), there's normally a stage past which visual bulletpoints are not introduced anymore. Unless said bulletpoints had an originally well-known impact on the framerate, i.e. they were accounted for from the start. Or, during the late profiling and optimisation stages, a breakthrough was made which either freed up sufficient resources for extra features which were previously not meeting the bar, or somebody figured out how to implement cheaply a feature originally deemed too costly. But as a rule of thumb, planned visual features are not left unchecked till late into the dev cycle, when they'd be 'switched on', fingers crossed they would not throw the framerate in havoc.

That said, if U-GPU does implement MSAA for cheap, the presence or absence of FSAA in the final product might be a matter of whether devs managed to leave sufficient spare edram for NxMSAA or not.

Just in case you missed it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38225763&postcount=5500

EatChildren

Do you actually mean a Nintendo developed thing, or just shown during their conference? I imagine we'll get something really sexy looking but maybe not made by them. i.e. Crysis or something.

Something unique to Nintendo's platform. Not a third party port that can be found everywhere else. Games like The Last of Us and God of War will represent pretty much the best of what you can milk out of current generation hardware. It's part design (game and assets), part technical wizardry, and part budget. They're expensive, glorious looking games.

Crysis 3 probably isn't fair if they show it on PC, where it is bound to shine. Same goes for Metro. Not sure how the console builds of either will shape up. From what we know, Crysis 3 is not coming to the Wii U yet, and given the delay I doubt Metro will be demoed for the Wii U.

So, I'm wondering if Nintendo will have a exclusive game on show, and not a tech demo, that can really turn heads towards their direction. Because what I mentioned will, in the realm of graphical showcases, be their biggest competition when it comes to making average joe go "oh wow that looks incredible".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom