• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. I was told the same thing by one of the people who shared info with me. I told him I just wanted to have a better understanding of the hardware and that I'll save the surprises for the games and how the online looks.

So you know the specs of the CPU / GPU / Ram / Flash Drive size in general terms ?.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Never let "gamers" do controller design. They lack the sense of ergonomics especially since they only draw stuff from familiarity.

HylianTom

Banned
Sooo... since the Wii U is going to be essentially a big DS, I wonder if we're going to see attempts from Nintendo to attempt some sort of symbiotic relationship between the two. Being able to play the same game on both platforms, with the two games sold together (one disc and one cart), with save files that can communicate between the two, etc.

Just something I've been wondering about. It sounds like something that could be used to expand gameplay - or it could be used as a cash grab by Nintendo.

joshwaan

WTF lol :p

This is an insult to my fav Snes game
e56a3.gif%20

hehehe :p

Nibel

Sam Spratt does a lot of cool pictures though; check out his Facebook page, a lot of great art.

But yeah, that controller design doesn't look good; a lot of reasons for that.

HylianTom

Banned
Never let "gamers" do controller design. They lack the sense of ergonomics especially since they only draw stuff from familiarity.
There's a lot that I don't trust "gamers" with. Business models, controller design, game design.. the industry has already taken its share of hits, haha..

japtor

He revealed his feelings for japtor.
...or did he? I have a feeling he's purposefully holding back information until Tuesday.
Well, I'm a fan of Bauhaus and Scandinavian design: form follows function. I really don't like edgy design details that serve no purpose other than drawing attention.
So how do you feel about the door in front (or doors over ports in general)? I'm fine with the SD slot and sync button behind a door just cause they're not used often and the SD slot is fine with it closed. Not so much with USB ports since to use them you'd have to leave the door open...which generally becomes a hassle and eventually breaks off. Meanwhile the inward door on the 360 just makes it annoying when plugging stuff in and takes more space internally than if they were just flush on the surface.
Sooo... since the Wii U is going to be essentially a big DS, I wonder if we're going to see attempts from Nintendo to attempt some sort of symbiotic relationship between the two. Being able to play the same game on both platforms, with the two games sold together (one disc and one cart), with save files that can communicate between the two, etc.

Just something I've been wondering about. It sounds like something that could be used to expand gameplay - or it could be used as a cash grab by Nintendo.
Well it's not a big DS cause the big physical disconnect between screens, some stuff would work but there would also be some that are unplayable cause of it like games that span the screens or require you to keep track of both screens at once.

as Sony tries harder to pull this off with PS3/Vita I think Nintendo may be up to continue down that path... they tried it before but tech is better these days to make it work wirelessly

HylianTom

Banned
as Sony tries harder to pull this off with PS3/Vita I think Nintendo may be up to continue down that path... they tried it before but tech is better these days to make it work wirelessly
True. It might not be able to do everything that a DS can do, but it can definitely take some inspiration from some of the titles on that system.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Less then 200 hours remain. Aww yeah.
avicii-dancebzmzq.gif

And exactly one week from today until Microsoft, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft and Sony have their press conferences. Can't wait to see if next generation becomes a reality this year (of course Wii U is next gen as well, but you know what I mean) or if Durango and Orbis will be locked up. I'm also very excited to see more regarding Unreal Engine 4.

well I am more hyped about Nintendo's even in Japan then E3 to be honest

I would like to see what Japanese game devs come up with for WiiU/3DS

Monster Hunter 4 has to be shown again soon

TunaLover

Rösti;38269090 said:
And exactly one week from today until Microsoft, Electronic Arts, Ubisoft and Sony have their press conferences. Can't wait to see if next generation becomes a reality this year (of course Wii U is next gen as well, but you know what I mean) or if Durango and Orbis will be locked up. I'm also very excited to see more regarding Unreal Engine 4.

I really hope that MS/Sony show something about its next machines, and I hope that they have some specifications locked, that means that the gap between them and Wii U shouldn't that big.

It will tell alot about Wii U's future.

so i just watched the wii u game reel from 2011 again and i rediscovered that i loved the song (around 2min10sec), but i never found out if it was a real song or just some music nintendo made especially for the game reel.

does anyone know anything about it? PLEASE HELP ME! ;) could be the WiiU Hype Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=S-VqA_PupHs#t=130s

OH OH WHOOOAAA WHOOAAA OH OH (ok that part starts at 3min20sec...)

it will be interesting to see what they come up with for a Software mashup this year that song was good not sure what it is though

I really hope that MS/Sony show something about its next machines, and I hope that they have some specifications locked, that means that the gap between them and Wii U shouldn't that big.

It will tell alot about Wii U's future.

It will be very difficult for MS/Sony not to say something about next gen next week but I believe they are going to try very hard not to say much at all... showing is out of the question

they will try to leak something though those secret leaks they both are so good at

Fantastical

Death Prophet
There's even film documentation of Reggie gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2cFqpJwviI

Lol, he was worse than I expected. Nintendo should train some of their employees on how to play video games. :p Anytime a Nintendo employee says "And recently I've been playing -game on Nintendo platform-" I just think yeah right. Didn't Reggie say he was playing DQIX? He can't even use the Circle Pad properly, I'm not sure how well he would handle an RPG.

The sooner they leak, the better, but I'd love love love it if Nintendo's new hardware had the spotlight all to itself..

this could work in MS/SONY's favor too

if they can keep quiet long enough about next generation plans

the perception of WiiU stuck between generation grows... when they announce late next year people will start seeing those platforms as TRUE Next GEN

that perception alone can go a long way in helping them but that is only one of the ways things can play out.

WiiU could prove to be a monster that will not relinquish its top dog status easily
even more so if Sony/MS does not go ahead and use this year to copy the uPad

It will be very difficult for MS/Sony not to say something about next gen next week but I believe they are going to try very hard not to say much at all... showing is out of the question

they will try to leak something though those secret leaks they both are so good at

They have a tough choice to make. If MS or Sony show something off for their next console it might take a little wind out of the Wii U's impact at the show, but it could also hurt their sales in the coming year if people decide to wait for the new systems instead of buying a 360/PS3 this year.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You won't really see or hear anything significant about Microsoft or Sony's next platforms at E3. You'll maybe get some hints, especially from Microsoft, as to where they're going with services, framework and maybe graphical benchmarks (referencing UE4).

Microsoft will probably focus very heavily on services and features this year, and even though they'll be showing them off on the Xbox 360, they're really paving the way for what their next system will be able to do.

Sony has a few big PlayStation 3 games in the pipes, and they'll need to dedicate a significant portion of their show to the Vita. We'll see some console franchise spin-offs and tie-ins for that, as well as some ports (eg: Super Sony Smash Bros.). Maybe a price cut too. Whether or not they show anything really special is another matter entirely, but they'll be wanting to remind everyone the Vita exists and is worth buying.

Given what I know about the specs, I don't think Sony or Microsoft have anything to worry about with the Wii U. They can quite comfortably let Nintendo do their thing at this E3. When they actually show off their systems next year the difference in processing power will be enough for them to draw attention their way.

WiiU has been on the minds of most core gamers since E3 2011 a full year of knowledge that this was coming. Can't say the same for casual market but soon after E3 the mall tours will start and by fall this will be a hot item.

PS3/360 will take a nose dive no matter what they do this fall, its just not possible to fight WiiU head on

now the question is will we see another contender for Fall 2013 in the US or will both slip into 2014

Given what I know about the specs, I don't think Sony or Microsoft have anything to worry about with the Wii U. They can quite comfortably let Nintendo do their thing at this E3. When they actually show off their systems next year the difference in processing power will be enough for them to draw attention their way.

If the Wii could win its battle against PS3/360 by sales numbers... the spec sheet has already been proven to be paper thin. This is not scary at all, you cannot bank on this shutting out Nintendo and even then Nintendo has an option of launching WiiU2 in 2016-17 if needed

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah buzz, not sales.

magash

Nintendo will never win over core gamers ever again... its either you like Nintendo games or you don't. They will never be the cool guys that went out with the words "Rad" & "Super"

I think in the near future economic realities and technological limitations/boundaries will most likely slow down the console hardware leap that some gamers wish Nintendo invested in. At that point in time I think Nintendo might be "cool" again...unless of course those gamers decide to migrate to the pc (which I highly doubt).

HylianTom

Banned
No matter what, I expect both of the others to offer very, very stiff competition. In fact, I tend to think that Nintendo's a bit of an underdog going into next gen as far as marketshare goes, which may seem odd, considering the numbers they put up over the past six years. Cracking the core market won't be nearly as easy as targeting a blue ocean demo, and I honestly don't see the other two doing Nintendo any favors, making Sony-in-2006-style mistakes that'll help this time around.

If Nintendo sells over GameCube levels, I'd be quite content. I know that this is setting the bar rather low, but I have a vague hunch such that I don't see the three consoles doing the same kinds of numbers that they did with this generation.. and Nintendo has perhaps the steepest hill of all to climb.

Jaruru

Nintendo will never win over core gamers ever again... its either you like Nintendo games or you don't. They will never be the cool guys that went out with the words "Rad" & "Super"

This is good, we need this balance for the industry

never say never

Nintendo was once almost doomed ;)
they're on the right track now

onilink88

Nintendo will never win over core gamers ever again...

For the first time, I find myself in agreement with you. To some degree, at least. These, uh, "core gamers" seem pretty set in their ways in regards to their view of Nintendo. I can see the people who felt "burned" by the Wii come back, but beyond that? I'm not convinced.

Assuming that difference will really end up being noticed....also if they're going hi end and add any costly gimmick they will bleed really well....i dont doubt MS wil do this, they've been badly guided on most fronts...but Sony cant afford another *uck up like cell...

EatChildren

Assuming that difference will really end up being noticed....also if they're going hi end and add any costly gimmick they will bleed really well....i dont doubt MS wil do this, they've been badly guided on most fronts...but Sony cant afford another *uck up like cell...

It will be noticeable.

Yeah buzz, not sales.

Every company will get their attention when they show off a new system. There are a lot of fanboys out there :) But i think the WiiU will do fine and won´t be ignored by 3rds as far as multi titles go. It won´t be a second Gamecube, but it won´t be a second Wii either ;)

I also see that Microsoft and Sony will get praised for their 2013 E3 revealings, but i don´t think they will kill the WiiU, both in graphics and games. Either way, Nintendo has all eyes looking at this E3 and that is what counts at this moment :)

HylianTom

Banned
Nintendo's best chance, I think, is some sort of huge, huge industry shake-up. A new entry to the console market, an exit.. there will have to be a fundamental change before Nintendo has a decent chance at capturing a large portion of the "core" audience.

Until then, they're doing well if they can capture a plurality.. their own comfortable, profitable corner of the market.

And I remain skeptical on how "noticeable" the difference will be. If I have to pause the video and study side-by-side images for more than a few seconds, we're getting a bit silly, IMO.

No matter what, I expect both of the others to offer very, very stiff competition. In fact, I tend to think that Nintendo's a bit of an underdog going into next gen as far as marketshare goes, which may seem odd, considering the numbers they put up over the past six years. Cracking the core market won't be nearly as easy as targeting a blue ocean demo, and I honestly don't see the other two doing Nintendo any favors, making Sony-in-2006-style mistakes that'll help this time around.

If Nintendo sells over GameCube levels, I'd be quite content. I know that this is setting the bar rather low, but I have a vague hunch such that I don't see the three consoles doing the same kinds of numbers that they did with this generation.. and Nintendo has perhaps the steepest hill of all to climb.

they really have to have messed up quite a bit to have near GameCube level success with the WiiU

Specs are the issue we all know about the second major issue I see is an easy copy of the controller by the competition on day one. Beyond that they are not doing the stuck with Carts while your rival goes CD this time around. The high visual push also has its costs and drawbacks in long development cycles or higher costs.

Is the WiiU pad patent enough to keep SONY/MS from having a pad with gaming buttons? I doubt it.

Nintendo is not going down to GameCube levels what I doubt is core... I don't think they can get that cool buzz...

To be honest I hate arrogant Nintendo so I rather see them as underdogs for decades to come

magash

Cracking the core market won't be nearly as easy as targeting a blue ocean demo, and I honestly don't see the other two doing Nintendo any favors, making Sony-in-2006-style mistakes that'll help this time around.

I disagree. There is absolutely nothing hard about cracking the core demographic. All it takes is spending cash on the right 3rd party ip and marketing. Developing for the blue ocean demographic on the other hand is very very hard because there is little blueprint, do's and dont's, best approaches to developing a successful casual game. It seems like only Nintendo consistently knows how to develop for the blue ocean crowd.

The global economic situation is likely to worsen especially in Europe so chances are the growth we saw this generation will not be repeated or maintained for the upcoming generation. Having said that I actually believe Nintendo will likely find it easier than MS and Sony this generation because they (Nintendo) will likely get the most support from Japanese studios + Major support from Western studios.

Well it's probably a 12.7mm drive (desktop drive would fill the case) with just SD/USB slots in front so there should be a decent chunk of space in there.

Completely forgot about the front ports.

I think they have to they should take a loss, it would be better for them in the long run. That said if the hardware is worth $350 then it has got some kick behind it.

If there is any truth to that other rumor, Nintendo might be looking at a retail price that covers stuff like manufacturing, R&D, retailer profit, etc. So they may have calculated that x amount of systems might cost y to them. That y could be $350. I think this is what they did with Wii since it supposedly had an operating profit of $6 per consoles.

I think that's part of the reason why the case has rounded short sides this time around, i.e. so people would not try place it sideways. The nudges are for those persistent users who still manage to place it sideways ; )

Stop ignoring my desire to pick your brain. >_>

The thing about this is that, unless you're doing ray-tracing, all videogame lighting is faked. Progress is mainly made by more and more sophisticated ways of faking physically accurate lighting. The question is really what kind of techniques Nintendo are focusing on, and what hardware could be used to accelerate those techniques (I'm going to assume that any GPU customizations are going to be focused on lighting, given that that both tech demos emphasized lighting).

I don't really know what sort of GI techniques are used in games these days, so it's hard to say how they could be accelerated, but it could be something as simple as configuring the eDRAM in such a way to make deferred rendering as efficient as possible, or it could be an extra unit which performs a very specific task automatically. Unfortunately it's something we may not find out for years (unless any of us get to actually work on the machine), as these kind of things generally only get mentioned publicly in Gamasutra technical post-mortems, if ever.

That's what i was saying.

I do agree that lighting is a part of it looking at the demos. I was posing the idea about tessellation and displacement maps because of Wii's TEV and how it had bump and normal mapping.

And I believe we won't have to wait "too long" before someone will come out with how it's all accomplished.

So you know the specs of the CPU / GPU / Ram / Flash Drive size in general terms ?.

I pretty much know the general performance expectation. I've been trying to add the most of the specs to what I don't know to give a tangible representation of those performance expectations. But as I've mentioned before that's also still based on info excluding the Nintendo made tweaks so the performance should be slightly, but not much, better than what I've talked about.

HylianTom

Banned
Maybe I've just been disappointed too many times? I dunno.

But you guys are optimistic.. I ike that a lot. Hope it rubs-off on me. :)

edit: And Smiles, I can't agree with you more about "arrogant Nintendo." Whenever I see a flicker of that old Nintendo attitude, I kinda cringe a bit and yell internally, "NO! Not again! Bad gaming company, BAD!" Haha..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom