• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
gone... those days are :(

now even a main numbered Final Fantasy title on WiiU may find it hard to be titled a megaton

That's because Final Fantasy isn't that great a thing anymore.

A main numbered Halo on Wii U would probably be a megaton, though. As would something like Half-life 3 console exclusivity. Or Nintendo buying Rovio.

I'm going to set a budget of $450 for my WiiU/software purchase at launch

I may have to spend even more if the software titles are all solid AAA

I don't understand, chums.

You posted what seems like a million years back (probably like two weeks ago) that you were annoyed at not getting the Thread VI OP reserved. Unless I'm confusing you with another dude with a brovatar. So, anyway, if that was the case, I was just putting it out there that you're in the queue for making a thread. You know, fairness and all that.

(not for N-Conf or Thread 7, though -- somebody claimed the former on the OT Reservation Thread, and the latter is pretty much up for Nibel to grab if wanted)

A main numbered Halo on Wii U would probably be a megaton, though. As would something like Half-life 3 console exclusivity. Or Nintendo buying Rovio.

You!

keep your Rovio away from my Nintendo

why is Halo even a dream in your mind for WiiU huh?

Half-Life? never heard of it :3

Conor 419

Banned
You posted what seems like a million years back (probably like two weeks ago) that you were annoyed at not getting the Thread VI OP reserved. Unless I'm confusing you with another dude with a brovatar. So, anyway, if that was the case, I was just putting it out there that you're in the queue for making a thread. You know, fairness and all that.

(not for N-Conf or Thread 7, though -- somebody claimed the former on the OT Reservation Thread, and the latter is pretty much up for Nibel to grab if wanted)

Oh, okay.

Thanks chums, stick to the plan.

Fredrik

A new main chapter in the Final Fantasy series, exclusive to WiiU, would be more of a megaton than just about anything imo. Just think about it... "One more thing... *awesome trailer starts, plays and ends with - exclusve on WiiU" :O

disap.ed

I guess this is worth a post; Ian Bell from Slightly Mad Studios answered "Do you consider the WiiU next gen?" with "I can't say :)" in the pCARS forums.

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost?
$349. £250.

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be?
November, probably the 21st.

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game?
F-Zero HDX. Would be the perfect showcase of the console's power.

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U?
I'm thinking Valve. I'm HOPING Valve.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week?
Clips of third parties commenting on how great the system is, with a lot of them announcing no games.

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference?
popcorn.jpg
346258.jpg

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS?
Around 1 hour 20 minutes, 45 minutes Wii U, 25 minutes 3DS/DS. 10 minutes Wii, maybe.

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best).
7/10. Dragged down by (Ubisoft?) shovelware perhaps.

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations?
Multicoloured disc drive light like on Wii but with colours for different information. You will be able to bring up notifications shown by the light on the tablet only by tapping the power button on it. Similar to WiiConnect24. Can accept game invitations, updates etc. without fully powering on the console or changing channels beforehand.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us?
Mii Plaza expanded to a simple online game with minigames and chatroom-like function with your friends, compatible with UPad camera for video chat. Aimed at bringing other people into your living room to share the evening talking and playing simple games together. (not super-special perhaps)

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week?
No clue.

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else?
Retro revealed to be working on F-Zero HDX with help from Namco and/or Monster Games.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
saying so is under NDA
Then why can EA (Cam Weber) say it?

There is some fear that Nintendo's Wii U platform will be stuck between the current generation and the next one. Is the console really a next-gen platform?

Absolutely. It's a [new] platform with a new controller input, so we'll do everything we can to deliver an experience that will take advantage of the hardware for that consumer.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/04/the-future-of-madden.aspx

Not for the wider gaming public, but the first numbered FF game since VI on Nintendo HW would still be pretty big for gamers of a certain age. Talking of FF's , does anyone remember how "exclusive" FFXIV is on the PS3?

I believe Shocking Alberto said that Square Enix were trying to put FFXIV on Wii U actually, but I don't know if that worked out. I'm holding out hope for v2 being a major improvement. I got into XI for a short while, and it was pretty addicting/had great music.

Indeed, and nothing at all has been said on whether the drive will support dual layered discs. Hopefully, this does not become another excuse.

That brought back a very old flashback. Anyone old enough to remember the days leading up to N64's release? Nintendo, or someone, was claiming that the N64 cartridges were perfectly adequate to store the latest games, because the compression ratio was 8:1 or something like that so that a 64 megabit game was actually equivalent to 64 megabytes and so on.

And then reality hit...

Despite the negatives about the carts for the N64, I still miss them though. Those were the days. I always thought cart based systems like the N64 were more durable. Sigh.

A new main chapter in the Final Fantasy series, exclusive to WiiU, would be more of a megaton than just about anything imo. Just think about it... "One more thing... *awesome trailer starts, plays and ends with - exclusve on WiiU" :O

There are several game franchises that regularly outsell Final Fantasy. Any of them (well, except the Nintendo ones, obviously) being announced as exclusive to Wii U would be a larger megaton.

Welcome to not-the-1990s. ;)

wehavenolife5a.png

I don't remember -- was this posted already?

Thraktor

Metroid would be the worst of all Nintendo games for this. Star Fox would certainly be better.

A Dawn of War 2 style squad-based RTS/RPG game would work in the Metroid universe, as long as Samus isn't the protagonist. Then again, by that point it's barely a Metroid game.

It was said above and pretty much ignored:

the misterious button just below de dpad on the DRC could activate the "portable mode" on the fly without using menus on the touchscreen. I would dig it if so.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? $349.99

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? November 18th, 2012

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? Something that hasn't been announced yet, I think. Otherwise probably Pikmin 3.

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? I think Capcom might wow us again with a good looking title.

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? Kindle Fire, iPad, rumored iPad Mini comparisons. "Hardcore gamers don't want to buy an Xbox 360 seven years later" or something similar.

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? Chipotle burrito and Coca-Cola.

7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? 1 hour - 35 minutes Wii U, 18 minutes 3DS, 7 minutes for Wii/DS

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). 7

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? The console will look significantly different compared to the Wii and what we saw in 2011.

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? More MMO type stuff (probably from third parties, but with a emphasis on them supporting it), or at least things with a solid online experience.

11) Predict: With BP now gone, who's the Nintendo fan most likely to be banned from NeoGAF during E3 Week? jump_button or AceBandage

12) Wild-card prediction: anything else? Gamecube HD games announced.

Nintendo fans have viewed GTA as the holy grail of third party games going all the way back to the PSX/N64 days. It's mostly wishful thinking and confirmation bias of poor rumours.

Now that Nintendo has a system that can actually keep up with the current generation the likelihood of it appearing is greater, but it will depend on whether Nintendo money hats Rockstar (and I hope they don't), or the Wii U sells quickly within the core market. The latter would guaranty a port.

Thanks, all the hype/hope makes more sense now. I know it's been one of those seemingly unattainable wanteds for many years so was just wondering why all the confident vibes all of a sudden.

Metroid would be the worst of all Nintendo games for this. Star Fox would certainly be better.

Nah, Zelda. Imagine controlling Gorons, Zora & Hylians(with air-support from Skyloft) vs an army controlled by Ganon(who pops up on the subscreen insulting you every now & then), it would be awesome.

Then why can EA (Cam Weber) say it?

Nintendo need EA.

I believe Shocking Alberto said that Square Enix were trying to put FFXIV on Wii U actually, but I don't know if that worked out. I'm holding out hope for v2 being a major improvement. I got into XI for a short while, and it was pretty addicting/had great music.

Thanks for the info, perhaps it just can't be on the 360(or is only a timed exclusive).

GCNemesis

The Nintendo Wii U Speculation Thread Pre-E3 Survey

1) So.. how much will the Wii U cost? — $299
This is a key point. Nintendo has to figure out which chunk of the market share it's going to target: Current gen, next-gen or somewhere in between. It's a fair guess to say that PS3 will be lowering its price and/or bundling a Move with its system for the holidays and that Kinect will be bundled with the 360 at a similar price point. To the everyday consumer, being presented with these options as well as the Wii U, will a higher price deter these people from buying something that can be compared to current gen offerings? Pricing the system at a next gen premium (above $300), is foolhardy and Nintendo realizes this (see: 3DS). I think $299 is the highest they should come in at which would allow them the flexibility to lower the price in the future (perhaps in lieu of lowered demand, launch of next gen Sony and Microsoft offerings, etc.)​

2) And when will the Wii U's Launch Day be? — US: November 18th, 2012
Hitting this date allows them to posture a weekend before Thanksgiving and a little while after larger 3rd party offerings earlier in the month. This will allow consumers to focus their dollar on Nintendo as opposed to more closely coinciding with other games' releases.​

3) Your #1 Desired Launch Day Game? — Pikmin 3
I want it to be a launch title, but I believe contrary to popular belief, Pikmin will slip into December/January and as much as I want to put Retro Studios' next title here, I also believe Nintendo will position it as a launch window release. One thing you will hear Nintendo communicate at E3 is that they are focused on providing a constant stream/drip of titles throughout its launch window. New Super Mario Bros for Wii U will be the main, best selling launch title for Nintendo among its possible 1st party offerings. If Mario is not there, I think Pikmin would be better served as a launch title instead of a stand alone release after launch as the audience for that title is more niche and would greatly benefit with being the main Nintendo offering that people will look to as they determine what games to purchase.​

4) Any pleasant third-party surprises for the Wii U? Exclusive Square Enix announcement
Eternal Darkness 2: 60% likelihood
GTA V: 40% likelihood
Bioshock Infinite: 10% likelihood​

5) Any predictions of media criticisms for Nintendo's behaviour/substance during E3 Week? — Wii U is a stopgap that will be quickly forgotten once Sony and Microsoft's offerings become announced, screen should be multi-touch, too much confusion between uTablet, 3DS, Wii and Wii U brands and how they differentiate from one another to the end consumer

6) What'll be your preferred food & drink of choice during the Nintendo Conference? -
What I want: Nice big sub sandwich and a beer
What I'll have: Salad and water
7) How long will the Nintendo Conference go on, and what'll be the breakdown on time spent between Wii U amd 3DS? — 70 Minutes
50 minutes on Wii U, 15 on 3DS, 5 on transitions, announcing presenters, etc.​

8) Predict: rate the Wii U Launch lineup from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). —
Compared to previous Nintendo launches: 10 (due to Mario, perhaps Pikmin, and sheer number of diverse 3rd party offerings)
Compared to all previous system launches: 8

9) Predict: any final hardware revelations? - Nothing that hasn't already been revealed (bigger screen, circle pads to sticks, etc.)

10) Predict: any super-special applications that Nintendo's gonna spring on us? -
You will be quite surprised and happy with Wii U's Nintendo Network implementation and infrastructure. There will be a major 3rd party contributor that will have assisted in this (Valve? :x)

Cmd. Pishad'aç;38101589 said:
It was said above and pretty much ignored:

the misterious button just below de dpad on the DRC could activate the "portable mode" on the fly without using menus on the touchscreen. I would dig it if so.
No. It's not a button. It's just the NFC marker.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Silicon Knights win its case against Epic about their Unreal Engine 3 dissatisfaction but are only entitled to $1 in damages

In part relevant to Wii U as they are confirmed developer for this platform and we're waiting for their hypothetic next project on it.

After almost five years of legal turmoil, the ongoing lawsuit between Silicon Knights and Epic Games has finally gone to court, but it seems the stakes aren't quite as high as previously thought.

New court documents reveal that even if Silicon Knights wins in its case to prove that Epic failed to provide a functional version of Unreal Engine 3, it would only be entitled to $1 in damages, reports Polygon.

In a May 7 ruling, Judge James Dever III said that Silicon Knights never provided a detailed breakdown of the damages it sought from the case, and Polygon reports that the court had to assign a value of its own.

This new assessment of the damages likely arose thanks to a setback Silicon Knights suffered late last year, when a judge dismissed the reports and testimony of an analyst that was key to the developer's case. The analyst had argued that problems with the Unreal Engine's licensing and functionality cost Silicon Knights some $58 million in damages.

While this new amount seems insignificant at best, Silicon Knights could still appeal to dispute how the damages were assessed, or even pursue further recourse against Epic Games. In addition to the $1 in damages, the studio will also receive reimbursement for its lawyer's fees should it win the case.

The conflict between Silicon Knights and Epic first arose in mid-2007, when the Too Human developer sued Epic over qualms with its Unreal Engine 3 technology.

Silicon Knights, which used the engine to develop Too Human, claimed that Epic was using and licensing the Unreal Engine to benefit the launch of Gears of War, while "sabotaging efforts by Silicon Knights and others to develop their own video games."

Let's hope it will be a hindrance removed for the quality of their title (on the studio mood, etc.), even if the damages amount is just symbolic (but could change).

Izick

Ok, is this some sort of pluginscript or what, I have never found the option to look at a thread like that >_<

I never knew how to do it either until this thread; just go to the list of threads like gaming or off topic, then by the thread, click the number of replies it has.

Not for the wider gaming public, but the first numbered FF game since VI on Nintendo HW would still be pretty big for gamers of a certain age. Talking of FF's , does anyone remember how "exclusive" FFXIV is on the PS3?

It'll be pretty big, but* I'm just saying that it's not top tier megatonnage anymore, not like CoD exclusivity, for instance. A real megaton is something that you can't possibly see happening until it happens. Mainline Final Fantasy being Nintendo-exclusive fits that definition, but what I keep hearing from fans is that the reputation has been tarnished somewhat over this last generation.

But maybe I just read Forums too much and am not getting the full picture.

*proper backtracking here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom