• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zombie U ND footage looks 'cheap'; the best word I can describe it; but hopefully it is a download title
Or more likely, Nintendo asked them to throw together a few quick models that Nintendo could then throw into their crappy demo video, Nintendo having promised that they would flash by so fast nobody could see they weren't a real game, and what they showed isn't representative of actual gameplay graphics at all.

Yeah that didn't look good. Loved the trailer though.
trailer was awesome. the gameplay can be quite solid too. AND it may be actually worth the buy and quite fun, if it is not a $60 retail title, but a downloadable one like $10-$20

But there's no way I pay anything over that for a game looking like that; I will just get a HoD:OK

Or more likely, Nintendo asked them to throw together a few quick models that Nintendo could then throw into their crappy demo video, Nintendo having promised that they would flash by so fast nobody could see they weren't a real game, and what they showed isn't representative of actual gameplay graphics at all.
let's be realistic:

1. if there was a better footage, they could edit it anytime
2. it is a launch title
3. it is killer freaks in heart, which looked just as bad last year

onilink88

you argued with us who only wanted wii U at e3 conference, you wanted 3DS you said, if nintendo listened to you we would have got LESS of BOTH. But now you get more of both. Dedicated conferences for each.

3DS one on june 6th.

I'm practically breakdancing on the ceiling! What time is it? :D

Thraktor

Really disappointed that Killer Freaks turned into ZombieU. Whatever about the demonstration of the game last year, the core FPS/RTS gameplay had a lot of promise, and it's a shame to see it's turned into what looks like a fairly bland zombie game with a terrible, terrible name. I'll wait to see the game in action before I pass further judgement, but it doesn't bode well for Ubisoft's support for the system if this is their big "mature" exclusive. Speaking of which, Iwata really should get Yves Guillemot on the phone and ask why the hell Watch Dogs isn't coming to Wii U, that shit looks good.

Also, call me crazy, but the fact that GTA V wasn't at either MS or Sony's conferences has me hoping that little bit more for tomorrow.

starmud

this is such a stop gap year, knew it going in, but i still expected more from ms/sony

and watch dogs should be on wiiu.

read ubi has an announcement for nintendos presser tomorrow. hope it delivers.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Watch Dogs was a short, scripted teaser for what will probably be a next generation game. Don't expect to hear about it for awhile.

Watch Dogs was a short, scripted teaser for what will probably be a next generation game. Don't expect to hear about it for awhile.
well, platforms were confirmed to be PS3/360 and PC (not sure if more will be confirmed or not,lol)

---
I just watched the trailer; at first it looked like that the gameplay was something really cool; then it turned into your generic shooter, with bullet time.

Man, Max Payne was like a decade ahead of its time

AntMurda

The NSMB demo tomorrow will be boring, dreading that part. If Retro's game is there (and I'm expecting it to be) I will be so happy.

Blind fanboyism at it's finest! You will force yourself to like this magical retro game no matter what it is. No matter how inferior it is to other top tier western developers. Just out of pure fandom. Admit it.

Lyude77

I'm glad the Diablo III PS3 exclusive thing seems to be false. I feel like Sony would have shown that if it were true (based on what I heard they showed).

I'm hoping for some good stuff from Nintendo tomorrow, though I won't be here to talk about it with you all immediately afterward because I have to work. Save some reactions for me! :p

The only thing I'm looking forward to on Xbox is Borderlands 2, and they didn't show it at the conference, so theirs was kinda bad for me. At least Gearbox showed a character on Spike.

Ubisoft's conference was good, though the only game I'm looking forward to is Rayman. Hopefully there will be more games that are my style tomorrow. FPS, small incremental improvements in sports games, and open world racers aren't really my thing. At least the Watch Dogs announcement was interesting.

I'm glad the Diablo III PS3 exclusive thing seems to be false. I feel like Sony would have shown that if it were true.

I'm hoping for some good stuff from Nintendo tomorrow, though I won't be here to talk about it with you all immediately afterward because I have to work. Save some reactions for me! :p
why are you happy?

Blind fanboyism at it's finest! You will force yourself to like this magical retro game no matter what it is. No matter how inferior it is to other top tier western developers. Just out of pure fandom. Admit it.
what?

---
man, I thought this thread was safe...

antonz

Feel bad for the Diablo 3 guy. He was swearing up and down about his secret sources. Then claiming Sony told him they had 30 Vita titles to show today lol

Thraktor

They've confirmed it to be PC footage of a PS360/PC game. The footage was obviously scripted, but the concept seems really interesting, and it's nice to see novel gameplay ideas when even Resident Evil has turned into a generic Gears/Uncharted clone.

They've confirmed it to be PC footage of a PS360/PC game. The footage was obviously scripted, but the concept seems really interesting, and it's nice to see novel gameplay ideas when even Resident Evil has turned into a generic Gears/Uncharted clone.
what was novel about it honestly?

It looked like Dues Ex, with some punches; well, probably without many aspects of Deus Ex too, at least we didn't see more

Eradicate

I'm not going to go on with any "those conferences sucked" chatter, but I must say I have incredibly sky-high hopes for Nintendo's showing tomorrow.

With businesses like this (entertainment), I think everyone is more aware of each other than they may let on. I really think that Sony and Microsoft knew that Nintendo was bringing grade A material to this particular year's E3 conference. That's why I think they kind of "held back" somewhat. They still had new things to show and discuss, but nothing insanely "new."

I mean, sometimes you can't compete. I think these businesses actually "like" to alternate so they can perfect what the others debut with. With Sony and Microsoft, they just seemed like they didn't "have it," and I fully believe it's because Nintendo is going to drop some incredible things tomorrow.

Again, I'm not judging the quality of the conferences or what they showed. But, anyone can see that both Sony and Microsoft stayed fairly conservative today, even by previous E3 standards.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is how the conference should open.
Reggie walks out in a suit.
"My name is Reggie. I'm about kicking ass, I'm about ticking boxes, and we're about talking foxes."
StarFox x Metroid trailer plays.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
The fact that they didn't show ZombieU footage at their own conference means it's almost certainly going to appear tomorrow. Hopefully Nintendo don't spend too much time on it.

I'm afraid Nintendo thinks we'll be impressed by that (assuming it looks like Nintendo Direct).

So did anybody else see the G4 segment where they said Xbox Smart Glass is a Ferrari to the Wii U's Corolla?

I don't even know why I watch.

Neiteio

Ubisoft's conference was great, and Sony had a few strong points with Beyond, GoW:A and The Last of Us. But yeah, Nintendo's going to steam-roll everyone tomorrow. I just don't get the impression from many of the non-Nintendo games this E3 that the devs feel inspired or like they're having fun making their games. Whereas I already get a sense of genuine joy from the brief glimpse we've had of Miiverse and NSMB WiiU. I'm excited to see what Nintendo has in store tomorrow to keep gaming fresh and exciting.

Lyude77

why are you happy?

what?

---
man, I thought this thread was safe...

I don't own a PS3. I don't have a good enough PC to run Diablo III either. I'm really just hoping it comes to all consoles including PS3 (rather than no consoles or just one) to sell more. So, it's a mix of admitted selfishness as well as my desire for other companies to see there's a demand for this kind of game on consoles.

Unrelated: I would actually love the 10 minute NSMBU demo, though I hope they don't do that because others would hate it.

Ubisoft's conference was great, and Sony had a few strong points with Beyond, GoW:A and The Last of Us. But yeah, Nintendo's going to steam-roll everyone tomorrow. I just don't get the impression from many of the non-Nintendo games this E3 that the devs feel inspired or like they're having fun making their games. Whereas I already get a sense of genuine joy from the brief glimpse we've had of Miiverse and NSMB WiiU. I'm excited to see what Nintendo has in store tomorrow to keep gaming fresh and exciting.

Wait, Beyond was a strong point?

I agree about the other two games you mentioned

Thraktor

what was novel about it honestly?

It looked like Dues Ex, with some punches; well, probably without many aspects of Deus Ex too, at least we didn't see more

Well, maybe it's just how underwhelming everything else E3 has shown me has been thus far, or maybe it's the fact that it's past 4am and I've been drinking, but it seemed to have potential, at least in terms of how the hacking concept could be used to give the player a lot of options in how to approach missions. Of course it's far too early to tell how good the game's going to end up, but with the rest of E3 being so utterly predictable thus far, it's the only thing that's genuinely got me excited to learn more.

I'm not going to go on with any "those conferences sucked" chatter, but I must say I have incredibly sky-high hopes for Nintendo's showing tomorrow.

With businesses like this (entertainment), I think everyone is more aware of each other than they may let on. I really think that Sony and Microsoft knew that Nintendo was bringing grade A material to this particular year's E3 conference. That's why I think they kind of "held back" somewhat. They still had new things to show and discuss, but nothing insanely "new."

I mean, sometimes you can't compete. I think these businesses actually "like" to alternate so they can perfect what the others debut with. With Sony and Microsoft, they just seemed like they didn't "have it," and I fully believe it's because Nintendo is going to drop some incredible things tomorrow.

Again, I'm not judging the quality of the conferences or what they showed. But, anyone can see that both Sony and Microsoft stayed fairly conservative today, even by previous E3 standards.
if Nintendo's 're-reveal' for Wii U can't top the conference for two systems '6' years after their life, by a significant margin, then I too will be disappointed.

However, I guess measuring bars will be different.

I care for:
- novel and yet solid online infrastructure
- great 1st party titles
- major titles from 3rd party; like a proper FIFA and NFS

I don't care:
- barrage of 3rd party titles; if I wanted those, I would already have gotten a 360/PS3

So far, I am really pleased with what they showed regarding Social Aspects of the system. Miiverse was amazing.

I hope for:
- 3rd party online hubs on the system; like B.Net, Origin, etc.
- support from Japanese AAA developers; at this point, Nintendo is the only thing that can save them and introduce them to the market out of Japan; well better to say, to save us and let us have Japanese games, lol

Well, maybe it's just how underwhelming everything else E3 has shown me has been thus far, or maybe it's the fact that it's past 4am and I've been drinking, but it seemed to have potential, at least in terms of how the hacking concept could be used to give the player a lot of options in how to approach missions. Of course it's far too early to tell how good the game's going to end up, but with the rest of E3 being so utterly predictable thus far, it's the only thing that's genuinely got me excited to learn more.
I agree on all your points; it was better than the rest of E3 and had potential; I am just personally cynical that it was all scripted to make it look cool, the final product will not be much novel

I don't own a PS3. I don't have a good enough PC to run Diablo III either. I'm really just hoping it comes to all consoles including PS3 (rather than no consoles or just one) to sell more. So, it's a mix of admitted selfishness as well as my desire for other companies to see there's a demand for this kind of game on consoles.
sorry, I understand why the 'exclusive' part of D3 for PS3 will be bothersome to many

Penguin

So did anybody else see the G4 segment where they said Xbox Smart Glass is a Ferrari to the Wii U's Corolla?

I've heard similar comments..

And it reminds me of 2006 when Sony announced the Sixaxis, and everyone noted that the Wii was dead in the water.

No matter what, Nintendo is always the underdog it seems.

Wait, Beyond was a strong point?
Gotta admit, if they were trying to sell me on the game, showing me what's probably the most boring cutscene I've seen in a good while really wasn't the greatest plan.

I mean... do something! They didn't even resolve what little tension they HAD set up, they just jumped to a clip reel!

KOJIMA HAS BEEN INSPIRED:

Said Kojima: "'The Last of Us' was, of course, amazing. The first time I've wanted to play a game in a while." In a subsequent Tweet, he added "As a creator, The Last of Us demo crossed beyond envy and brought me delight. It brought out the desire to create again. Thank you."

Wrote Inaba: "I have no idea how it's being controlled, but this expression for something interactive is absolutely amazing! Naughty Dog is too amazing!"

What more can Sony ask for?

Anyway I'm not SO confident in Nintendo, but it's definitely theirs for the taking. And by 'it' I mean the fabricated winner of E3 award. Though so far Last of Us is game of show for me. Should be interesting to see if Nintendo reveals anything that makes me drool like that. I doubt it, but they might have a betterl well-rounded show....I hope. Hyped for tomorrow.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Pro-tip for life--stop watching G4.

Seriously? Last week someone said G4 is like the Fox news of the video game media world (a little more literally in IGN's case but still) and I'm now 100% behind that assessment.

AntMurda

SONY has just amazing Western talent. Within that talent, Naughty Dog is above all else. Microsoft trails behind, but Nintendo really needs to find a a solid group of Western developers capable of creating successful high budget ips.

Hieberrr

I want more platformers! I miss platformers and the Wii was the only console last gen with decent platforming titles.

But I want more! Give me another DK! Give me moar Mario! MOAR RAYMAN! MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRR!!

I don't own a PS3, so I don't really know how good Uncharted is.

But Jak series and Crash Bandicoot series were definitely among my top 10. I believe ND deserves their praise, and if they are making shooters, maybe it is because the 'demand' is so.

SONY has just amazing Western talent. Within that talent, Naughty Dog is above all else. Microsoft trails behind, but Nintendo really needs to find a a solid group of Western developers capable of creating successful high budget ips.
They can always outsource
to Team Ninja

effzee

Have a bad feeling that Nintendo will still focus on some of the social aspects of the system tomorrow over showing games.

I swear if they spend 20 minutes demoing some new experimental niche game I will personally go to LA to bitch slap Iwata.

Whatever their top game is tomorrow, or 1 of the 2 top games, better open the show.

I want to see some major third party games confirmed for WiiU as well even if they aren't highlighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom