• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Buren

mercenar1e said:
Geralt asked Saskia where her father was and Saskia said he disappeared after teaching her everything she needed to know.. im pretty sure he might still be alive

Interesting, Roche side here, so didn't know that at all. I'm liking how at least two playthroughs are a must to ferret out all the story details.

joesmokey

Callibretto said:
I bet it's the one near waterfall, it's a bit further than the other 3
Holy shit thank you. I wasted so much time trying to find the 4th nekker nest, and I would have never looked this far out (relative to where the other ones were found).

So glad this quest is over with.

Fredescu

reptilescorpio said:
Yeah I suppose they could have blocked access to the radial menu if you don't have a controller plugged in.
Or just make sword switching work 100% of the time rather than 50% of the time? I like to use the radial menu for switching signs and pockets. It hadn't occured to me that there would be another method but I guess it makes sense that there is.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh man, I was having performance issues - kept tweaking it trying to get the game to run good and look good (I have a pretty good rig and a GTX 460 OC'd to hell). Went to the TW2 tweaking thread, tossed up the GTX 2xx user.ini config, uninstalled the 3D drivers, and then turned AA and textures back up and it runs like a champ at 1920x1080 now.

I could probably go higher with the config, but right now the game still looks great while running smoothly - no point in lowering my FPS for a slightly better appearance. Glad I took the time to check it out.

Fredescu said:
Or just make sword switching work 100% of the time rather than 50% of the time? I like to use the radial menu for switching signs and pockets. It hadn't occured to me that there would be another method but I guess it makes sense that there is.
I did the same as you and never used the sword change in the radial but just did a quick reload in Chapter 2 and it seems to work fine for me. The only time it didn't work was when I brought up the menu as I was casting a spell.

Xtyle

There were more than a few times that when pressing 1 or 2 didn't make Geralt draw or switch swords during combat. And sometimes out of combat (couldn't unsheathe sword in town etc.)

Using bombs also bugged my game almost every time if I am not facing the enemies when throwing them. A lot of times it messed my camera and then Geralt couldn't do any action other than move around. Luckily hit detection on him was pretty off when that happened and sometimes the bug correct itself at times.

Jintor

Responsiveness seemed pretty low in general. I can't begin to count the number if times I'd hit right click and it would do nothing, or left click to start a lunge across at an oppontent and instead Geralt would pull of a basic heavy attack and leave himself vulnerable instead.

Jintor said:
Responsiveness seemed pretty low in general. I can't begin to count the number if times I'd hit right click and it would do nothing, or left click to start a lunge across at an oppontent and instead Geralt would pull of a basic heavy attack and leave himself vulnerable instead.

To me magic and bombs seem the most unresponsive.

Plenty of times in combat I would hit q or r and it there is delay before Geralt does what I want.

Mercutio

Jintor said:

Yeah, I'm having a REAL issue with things like this. There was a point in a town where I COULD NOT sheathe my sword in time. I'm sitting there, jamming on the correct key, and it's just not working. I've also found I'm not casting spells when I always want to in combat. It's like there's this series of un-breakable transitional animations that I just can't get by. I don't like dying because the game feels unresponsive in combat at times.

I did actually put block on the middle mouse... but I just feel like it's incredibly odd that, in a PC game, the mouse wheel isn't swapping between spells or something. Like I shouldn't have to remind a dev that I actually have a middle mouse button at all.

Fredescu

There's a lot of stuff that the game won't let you do if you've just been hit. Waiting until the animations finished is just a type of timer bar on abilities, and this goes for things like setting traps to casting spells to swinging the sword to being able to get back into position after taking a hit. I don't recall the game ever just not doing something I was telling it to do when I wasn't taking hits or something. Maybe you guys have come across a bug that I haven't as yet.

I agree the targeting sucks.

Mercutio

It's definitely not a result of being hit or anything else that would make sense in gameplay context. Literally, I occasionally cannot block, or swap swords, or just take out / sheathe a sword. I sometimes feel like I'm playing the game through jello.

Edgeward

There are times when I hammer or hold RT and Geralt won't block, it's messed up. And I got murdered by the town soldiers in Floatsom because I couldn't sheathe my sword in time, he lags behind to sheathe his sword after I press the d-pad to do so.

Exuro

Edgeward said:
There are times when I hammer or hold RT and Geralt won't block, it's messed up. And I got murdered by the town soldiers in Floatsom because I couldn't sheathe my sword in time, he lags behind to sheathe his sword after I press the d-pad to do so.
Well the first part could easily be Geralt lacking Vigor. I've had a few issues with control responsiveness though.

Mercutio said:
It's definitely not a result of being hit or anything else that would make sense in gameplay context. Literally, I occasionally cannot block, or swap swords, or just take out / sheathe a sword. I sometimes feel like I'm playing the game through jello.
I might sound stupid but is it a keyboard problem? I got rid of my last keyboard because the button presses weren't registering in-game playing Prototype when it worked perfectly fine for regular computer use. I was always too mystified to ask around about it. The only time button presses didn't work for me was when I was already doing something or had been hit.
Fred is correct in that the targeting is garbage, that should be easily fixed in an update hopefully. You can get used to it and adapt your playstyle but you shouldn't have to since RED designed the game to use the targeting.

Decay24

Neo Member
So I never really used the Axii sign in the prior play throughs but I am loving the shit out of it this time. So fun to watch soldiers beat up their companions.

Exuro

Edgeward said:
So if he is lacking vigor, he won't even do the blocking animation?
No because you can't block without Vigor. It would be cool if he still did the animation and Geralt would "fail" at blocking. You should be hearing a weird sound when you try to block or use signs without vigor though.

Hulud

Jintor said:
or left click to start a lunge across at an oppontent and instead Geralt would pull of a basic heavy attack and leave himself vulnerable instead.
This happens to me at least once per battle, no matter what. Must be a glitch.

joesmokey

This may have been covered to death already, but searching I couldn't find much help.

I don't have the Troll Trouble option listed in my DLC window (GOG version). I only have Polish subtitles and text as well as Polish voice-overs. How can I get the Troll Trouble option to appear? I didn't pre-order the game as I bought it the day it came out. Does that mean I missed out on this DLC? Trying to complete the stupid medallion quest...

I am a registered user and when clicking the Registered Users option, it just brings up The Witcher website.

Edgeward

Exuro said:
No because you can't block without Vigor. It would be cool if he still did the animation and Geralt would "fail" at blocking. You should be hearing a weird sound when you try to block or use signs without vigor though.

Yes, this is what I thought was supposed to happen. I see then. Thanks.

Decay24

Neo Member
joesmokey said:
This may have been covered to death already, but searching I couldn't find much help.

I don't have the Troll Trouble option listed in my DLC window (GOG version). I only have Polish subtitles and text as well as Polish voice-overs. How can I get the Troll Trouble option to appear? I didn't pre-order the game as I bought it the day it came out. Does that mean I missed out on this DLC? Trying to complete the stupid medallion quest...

I am a registered user and when clicking the Registered Users option, it just brings up The Witcher website.

Have you updated to v1.1? Due to the issues surrounding it the DLC, I believe it comes with that patch update.

Decay24

Neo Member
joesmokey said:
Yes I did, so maybe I don't have to worry about it then. Thanks for the info!

go check the board for the Troll Trouble quest.

I'm personally having issues with the swordsman suit DLC that I got from amazon, I used the code and nothing. I also downloaded the exe for it from their site and it didn't work

End of chapter 2 spoilers (Ioverth):

Was it raining for anyone else during the battle? Just curious if the weather was scripted for this or I just randomly got rain. Either way it really suited the mood of the battle especially when Saskia made her speech.

Jintor

Axii is really really useful when you're getting mobbed. The fact that it both damages enemies and distracts them so you can get in on the action can really break some encounters (or is useful, your milage may vary). You do need to have room to run though so you don't get hitstunned to death halfway through.

Fredescu

Anyone try the ability that lets you have two (or three) charmed mobs via Axii? I tried it once and the two I had charmed started attacking each other. If it was done right, they should recognise they're on the same side and gang up on the uncharmed guy. I haven't had the chance to try it since, so perhaps that was a once off.

1stStrike

Banned
I've noticed Axii is a good way to easily off otherwise hard to kill dudes as well. You use axii on a shield dude or something, then go behind him and smack him with your sword. They almost always drop dead after 1 hit - no worrying about them parrying or blocking. Saves a lot of ass pain.

Fredescu said:
Anyone try the ability that lets you have two (or three) charmed mobs via Axii? I tried it once and the two I had charmed started attacking each other. If it was done right, they should recognise they're on the same side and gang up on the uncharmed guy. I haven't had the chance to try it since, so perhaps that was a once off.
Also I find Axii can be a bit frustrating in large packs, because if you accidentally damage your mind controlled enemy he turns on you.

Xtyle

Exuro said:

Having him do block animation without vigor would be misleading to the gamer, unless this animation looks different than the one with vigor.

Xtyle

Decay24 said:
go check the board for the Troll Trouble quest.

I'm personally having issues with the swordsman suit DLC that I got from amazon, I used the code and nothing. I also downloaded the exe for it from their site and it didn't work

I have that and the Roche suite and neither showed up anywhere in my first completed playthrough...not sure what's going on

Decay24

Neo Member
bigben85 said:
I have that and the Roche suite and neither showed up anywhere in my first completed playthrough...not sure what's going on

Weird thing is that the Roche suit actually appears in my game. I got the CE as well but no luck on the swordsman suit.

I wonder if reinstalling the game would fix that issue.

I'm interested to know if people who find the combat annoying find it better after trying the mod which disables the vigor requirements for blocking. It never bothered me since I use dodge most of the time (carry over from the first game maybe), but it might help some folks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jim-jam bongs said:
I'm interested to know if people who find the combat annoying find it better after trying the mod which disables the vigor requirements for blocking. It never bothered me since I use dodge most of the time (carry over from the first game maybe), but it might help some folks.

blocking in this game SUCKS. You have to stand fucking still and only THEN you can use blocking. It works if they wanted to make blocking a distinct move which you can use strategically, but it would be much better if blocking was as responsive and twitchy as rolling.

subversus said:
blocking in this game SUCKS. You have to stand fucking still and only THEN you can use blocking. It works if they wanted to make blocking a distinct move which you can use strategically, but it would be much better if blocking was as responsive and twitchy as rolling.

Yeah I think I blocked once or twice in combat then gave up using it, except for parts where you were controlling a character who can't roll. Rolling just seems far more effective and appropriate.

It probably helps that I'd just finished the first game when I started, and dodging is your only active defence in that so it just sort of fit.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
jim-jam bongs said:
Yeah I think I blocked once or twice in combat then gave up using it, except for parts where you were controlling a character who can't roll. Rolling just seems far more effective and appropriate.

It probably helps that I'd just finished the first game when I started, and dodging is your only active defence in that so it just sort of fit.

I used blocking a lot when I was playing sword character but I was always mashing the button to make it work. It was my last resort. Also I used blocking a lot when I was fighting humans. It's still quite useful but also not comfortable to use.

jim-jam bongs said:

Oh god, that bit without the ability to roll was TORTURE.

Jintor

Not being able to cancel out of things frustrates me in most fighting games, I know Witcher 2 is still treading that middle ground between RPG/Action but it still shits me.

Aeana said:
I wish Geralt would keep his shirt on. Gross.

asyouwish.jpg

I Riposte'd like hell after I learned the ability. Of course, blocking when you have an entire unit in front of you will almost completely drain your vigor, so the key is to separate them. I used a combination of Aard and Yrden to stun some, then the ones still coming at you should be isolated. Block, and wait to counter attack. Also, use Dancing Star on a group to stun and incinerate most of them.

Van Buren

jim-jam bongs said:

Out of curiosity, I just tried that mod on my Iorveth playthrough. Without Riposte, it can still make combat challenging since Geralt cannot strafe while blocking; it's quite easy to get surrounded. Given the tendency of the enemies to attack all at once, this ensures that the combat does not become an utter cakewalk even with the mod, and one has to watch for lulls in enemy attacks to mount one's own assault.

That said, I still prefer rolling away.

Interesting, after the honeymoon days people are noticing how flawed the combat is. Doesn't ruin the game for me, but the "best combat system in an ARPG ever!" statements were a tad ridicolous.

Aeana

VisanidethDM said:
Interesting, after the honeymoon days people are noticing how flawed the combat is. Doesn't ruin the game for me, but the "best combat system in an ARPG ever!" statements were a tad ridicolous.
People said that?
I mean, I guess if all you play is European RPGs, I could see why The Witcher 2's combat would seem amazing...
Not that Witcher 2's combat is bad. It's serviceable, especially after you get some upgrades.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
VisanidethDM said:

what other action RPG's have better combat?

Tokubetsu

I still love the combat. Sure there could be some improvements but Witcher 2 and I are in it for the long haul. For better or for worse.

Also, quick question:

In the prologue when you escape the dungeon, is it possible to get out without creating a fuss and having Vernon chew you out? The first time I just went full combat, so it made sense, then the second time I talked the guy down and he torched the place. So if you leave him there / killed him with the duel, do you get out stealthily or does taking out the executioner still trigger that dialogue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom