• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
They seem willing to alter Geralts appearance from game to game so....

we can only hope this is what he will look like in The Witcher 3.

Look at that Bronze God!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
ThoseDeafMutes said:
I actually think his body texture was a bit too small / lacking in detail, and if it looked a bit more realistic (the scars in particular didn't look all that convincing from memory) it wouldn't look as off-putting as it does.

Also, they seriously need to work on character hair for the next game in the series. When everything else looks so good it just makes it stand out that much more.

I thought Triss' hair looked pretty nice. Geralt's wasn't that bad, either. And as far as the skin textures, yeah I agree. Very odd how most of the game has such nice textures yet Geralt's battered body looks rather low rez in comparison.

DennisK4 said:
They seem willing to alter Geralts appearance from game to game so....

I wonder if there is any word on how he normally keeps his hair in the books. I read the first, but I don't remember much about his hair aside from it's color.

Triss' hair wasn't bad, but Geralts looks awful whenever he makes sudden moves and it animates. Ves was bad from memory also. Most characters are bald, have short hair or wear helmets, of course.

Van Buren said:
Regarding the combat discussion, I found The Witcher 2's combat system to be my favorite when compared to those in other Western Action-RPGs like Risen, Oblivion, the Gothics, Two Worlds, etc. It's not perfect by any means, and a couple of issues need to be addressed, but the base system that CDPR has to work with for future games is much to my liking. The combat system by itself is not complex, but it effortlessly encourages the use of different tactics to succeed, and that's its greatest strength.

In this perspective, yes, we can agree - the game is massively better than the competition, but the competition is turd.

Stahsky

Ah, yeah I can agree with that. Those quick turns when a jet engine suddenly kicked in and his hair went crazy were pretty funny, too.

Jintor

reptilescorpio said:
It really started to bother me by the end. I wanted to know what he was hiding under that damn turban. Bald? Cornrows? Hopefully they solve that mystery in the DLC.

Long, flowing locks of white-gold hair.

Kyaw said:
Triss or Saskia? GoGoGo

Well Triss stuns/damages me with fireballs every single time I'm in a fight with her (this was the real reason I told her to stay put during the final fight). On the other hand, she has mastered the Strip-All-Clothes-Off spell, which is pretty nifty.

Jintor

Oh my god, that scene was hilarious

So Triss, are your clothes actually made of magic, or are you just really good at selective teleportation?

Solo

Kyaw said:
Triss or Saskia? GoGoGo

I personally prefer Saskia. Shame she kept being a virgin....

The straight dope, accept no subsitutes:

1. Foltest's mistress (La Valette?)
2. Triss
3. Saskia

4. The rest

Kyaw said:
Triss or Saskia? GoGoGo

I personally prefer Saskia. Shame she kept being a virgin....
Triss x1000. Red heads. Yum. Looking forward to Geralts old lover in the next game. The best thing about sorcerers is that they use their magic to make themselves look hot. That is magic everyone can be happy with.

Jintor said:
Long, flowing locks of white-gold hair.
He probably got picked on by dwarves as a kid for looking like a pretty boy. Now his badass 'tude makes sense!

Jinaar

I am excited for tonight. Finally passed THE WITCHER last night (Strong ending, I enjoyed it) and downloading TW2 from STEAM at home at the moment. Sexy time starts tonight.

Jintor said:
Oh my god, that scene was hilarious

So Triss, are your clothes actually made of magic, or are you just really good at selective teleportation?

Sorceress' derive their powers from boners, which is why they typically have huge busts and dress like hookers.

Jinaar said:
I am excited for tonight. Finally passed THE WITCHER last night (Strong ending, I enjoyed it) and downloading TW2 from STEAM at home at the moment. Sexy time starts tonight.
Make sure to read the manual and use Quen to protect yourself. Aard is great for stunning an enemy to stop them ganging up on you. Roll lots. Run at the start.

Kyaw

loredosmothersmallerqq2n.gif

Kyaw

Do you guys get QTE sequences at this kind of scenes?
(same with the dragon/letho end fight?)

I don't know since i turned off QTEs.

Jintor said:
The (semi-forced, semi-cheesey) kiting thing bugged me, sure.
This is one of the few games where "kiting" makes sense to me. Geralt is a mutant but is not Dante or Kratos, his is vulnerable like any other human. So it makes sense to fragment enemy groups by kiting, trap setting and magical signs. It seems like the most realistic approach in terms of what the Witcher character is. I heard that when Samurais where outnumbered the best way to proceed was to flee from combat, when possible, or try to outrun the enemies and take swings at then one by one. Thta's pretty much the way i play the game.

Check something like Assassins Creed, you don't kite in that game, because enemies take turns to attack. So combat while looking cool becomes shallow. So Ubisoft fucked up that part of the game there.

But i do agree combat in this game is far from perfect but not bad.

Kyaw

Also in Chapter 3...

The part where you come down the cliff path to Loc Muinne, you see the Order of the Flaming Rose, if you turn right and continue the path between the steep valley, you encounter TWO big ass Arachnids, you get trapped in between them and inevitably die on normal difficulty or higher.

Did anyone do that too?

Jinaar

reptilescorpio said:
Make sure to read the manual and use Quen to protect yourself. Aard is great for stunning an enemy to stop them ganging up on you. Roll lots. Run at the start.

That little paragraph you just posted got me way more excited now. I love verbs :)

Stahsky

Kyaw said:
Also in Chapter 3...

The part where you come down the cliff path to Loc Muinne, you see the Order of the Flaming Rose, if you turn right and continue the path between the steep valley, you encounter TWO big ass Arachnids, you get trapped in between them and inevitably die on normal difficulty or higher.

Did anyone do that too?

I ran into that. Was just swinging away like a retarded when suddenly half my health vanished. I somehow won, though. But I was sitting at like 4% HP throughout most of it.

I was talking to someone on skype and mid-way through my sentence I just yelled "Oh shit fuck, TWO OF THEM?"

Kyaw

You dont even get any significant loot in the cart wrecks... I thought it was just one, so i wanted to back out and put down a trap, then looked back and FUUUUCK another one!?

Also MotionJoy question, does it work with USB PS3 controller instead of bluetooth?
I used it a while ago and i had to do this driver signing thing everytime i reboot. Is it resolved now? (Planning on using PS3 pad with Splinter Cell Conviction from steam sale)

Jintor

Refreshment.01 said:
This is one of the few games where "kiting" makes sense to me. Geralt is a mutant but is not Dante or Kratos, his is vulnerable like any other human. So it makes sense to fragment enemy groups by kiting, trap setting and magical signs. It seems like the most realistic approach in terms of what the Witcher character is. I heard that when Samurais where outnumbered the best way to proceed was to flee from combat, when possible, or try to outrun the enemies and take swings at then one by one. Thta's pretty much the way i play the game.

Check something like Assassins Creed, you don't kite in that game, because enemies take turns to attack. So combat while looking cool becomes shallow. So Ubisoft fucked up that part of the game there.

But i do agree combat in this game is far from perfect but not bad.

You kind of have a point - like, thematically, it makes sense - but in-game it's pretty much like an MMO - run around a rock in circles continually because you never tire and enemies are stupid idiots, occasionally dropping a snare or a sign and stabbing some idiot in the back. Not exactly a barrel of fun.

Fredescu

Jintor said:
They're pretty clearly moving into an action space.
"Action RPG" doesn't mean half action game, half RPG. It means real time RPG combat. Taking inspiration from Arkham Asylum for certain parts of the game doesn't mean it's "heading in that direction" or trying to be a hybrid of genres.

Jintor said:
If the RPG genre can be successfully melded with the third-person shooter, why wouldn't it work married to an action game?.
I don't think Mass Effect was a particularly successful melding, if that's the game you're referring to. As a shooter it wasn't all that great. You certainly wouldn't compare it to the best shooters out there. To appreciate the combat in that game you have to accept it in the RPG context it's in. The same goes for comparing TW2 to Bayonetta et al.

Is such a game possible? One that allows for a full RPG level of character customisation, and still has best in the business action? Maybe. Demon's Souls is close, but I'm not sure what the pure action fan would think of the slow pace of it. I think someone said earlier it was bad because it was slow. The speed is possibly necessary to allow for customisation elements to have an affect.

I don't want to see them "let the RPG elements go" as you say. We have too much of that in too many games already.

Jintor said:
but in-game it's pretty much like an MMO - run around a rock in circles continually because you never tire and enemies are stupid idiots, occasionally dropping a snare or a sign and stabbing some idiot in the back. Not exactly a barrel of fun
If that's the case, you're sort of making it boring yourself aren't you? I've never played it, but wasn't the point of Bayonetta all the optional stylish moves?

back hits on hard without the ability that reduces the damage is vicious. normal soldiers can do over 150 damage, its crazy.

get caught in an animation and roll a second too late and die.

Angst

Kyaw said:
You dont even get any significant loot in the cart wrecks... I thought it was just one, so i wanted to back out and put down a trap, then looked back and FUUUUCK another one!?

Also MotionJoy question, does it work with USB PS3 controller instead of bluetooth?
I used it a while ago and i had to do this driver signing thing everytime i reboot. Is it resolved now? (Planning on using PS3 pad with Splinter Cell Conviction from steam sale)
They have signed drivers available now. http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Still can't get it to work though, you might have better luck.

_Xenon_

Banned
Kyaw said:

You get the 2nd best silver sword in the wrecks ...

As for the bugs ... well I had lv3 Quen and had that 100%-damage-from-behind talent so they were not an issue at all.

Jintor

Fredescu said:
"Action RPG" doesn't mean half action game, half RPG. It means real time RPG combat. Taking inspiration from Arkham Asylum for certain parts of the game doesn't mean it's "heading in that direction" or trying to be a hybrid of genres.

Perhaps I'm projecting my desires for an action game with RPG elements, but I feel that's where Witcher 2 is attempting to go - otherwise, why would there be a combo element to fighting, why would you be able to roll around yourself, dodge blows, block depending on your button presses and inputs? That's not what RPG combat has hitherto been about; it hasn't previously been about direct control of your character, about finding the weak points yourself and avoiding blows. Those are elements of an action game, not an RPG.

I don't think Mass Effect was a particularly successful melding, if that's the game you're referring to. As a shooter it wasn't all that great. You certainly wouldn't compare it to the best shooters out there. To appreciate the combat in that game you have to accept it in the RPG context it's in. The same goes for comparing TW2 to Bayonetta et al.

Is such a game possible? One that allows for a full RPG level of character customisation, and still has best in the business action? Maybe. Demon's Souls is close, but I'm not sure what the pure action fan would think of the slow pace of it. I think someone said earlier it was bad because it was slow. The speed is possibly necessary to allow for customisation elements to have an affect.

I don't want to see them "let the RPG elements go" as you say. We have too much of that in too many games already.

I've really got to try Demon's Souls one of these days. Anyway, I see your point about taking combat in its RPG-context, but that doesn't excuse many of Witcher 2's fundamental combat flaws. Take the inability to hit things that you aren't personally targeting (without the whirl ability) - even in a RPG-related combat context, it's simply stupid to be able to wave your sword around without hitting something that is indicated to be directly in front of you. It's these kind of RPG elements that I'm talking about losing - the needless combat inhibitors, the conventions that don't mesh with the combat-style that is being approached. It's like if in ME2 accuracy wasn't based on whether or not they were in your crosshairs, but instead on invisible dice-rolls that occured whenever the projectile came in contact with their model. That kind of thing.

If that's the case, you're sort of making it boring yourself aren't you? I've never played it, but wasn't the point of Bayonetta all the optional stylish moves?

I suppose you could theoretically kite enemies in Bayonetta, but the point was that the combat system in that game was so fluid it was relatively easy to dart from enemy to enemy, dodging blows or countering moves while easily continuing your combo; everything flowed into everything else. Trying something similar in Witcher 2 just gets you instantly hitstunned to death (hitstun and inability to cancel out of moves in W2 is probably a major source of my complaints). Of course, that said, I don't know how you could convert kiting-esque behaviour in a singleplayer RPG to be less like an MMO, but I'm sure there's a cool way to do it.

Fredescu said:
Is such a game possible? One that allows for a full RPG level of character customisation, and still has best in the business action? Maybe. Demon's Souls is close

Not even remotely so. Demon's Souls has a terrible, simplistic combat system that is elevated to greatness by context. It's nowhere near being as responsive, varied and precise to make it a paragon of action gaming. It works well in Demon's Souls, because stripping the player of control and safety is half the game's magic, but it's not a high quality combat system.
Demon's Souls is the kind of game where if you can trap a magistrate behind a wooden column and have him eat stabs as the AI struggles to find a place to have line of sight and throw a fireball you don't think "man, this stuff is broken", you think "YAHOOOO A FREE PASS I MAY END THIS STAGE AT LAST!!!".

Now for the actual question, which is if we could have an action game that has the quirks of an RPG (gear, talents, speccs, %s and spells) and the responsiveness of a DMC... the answer is definitely yes, as long as you accept that RPG mechanics will eventually screw the balance of an action game and roll with it. If we can have beat'em ups handling leveling mechanics, we can work out action games implementing lightweight RPG mechanics in the same way.
The core point would be that of tricking the player by keeping the scaling of abilities in check (making sure that, say, maxing swordplay doesn't triple your damage) and then you could really run things as a GoW/Darksiders clone.

Kyaw

_Xenon_ said:
You get the 2nd best silver sword in the wrecks ...

As for the bugs ... well I had lv3 Quen and had that 100%-damage-from-behind talent so they were not an issue at all.

Oh yeah derp...

I'll try the MotionJoy then.

Fredescu

Jintor said:
Perhaps I'm projecting my desires for an action game with RPG elements, but I feel that's where Witcher 2 is attempting to go - otherwise, why would there be a combo element to fighting, why would you be able to roll around yourself, dodge blows, block depending on your button presses and inputs? That's not what RPG combat has hitherto been about; it hasn't previously been about direct control of your character, about finding the weak points yourself and avoiding blows. Those are elements of an action game, not an RPG.
Previously? Previous to TW2? It certainly has.

Jintor said:
Anyway, I see your point about taking combat in its RPG-context, but that doesn't excuse many of Witcher 2's fundamental combat flaws. Take the inability to hit things that you aren't personally targeting (without the whirl ability) - even in a RPG-related combat context, it's simply stupid to be able to wave your sword around without hitting something that is indicated to be directly in front of you. It's these kind of RPG elements that I'm talking about losing
Agreed, I don't like the targetting at all. I don't think that's necessarily an RPG element though.

scy

Jintor said:
That's not what RPG combat has hitherto been about; it hasn't previously been about direct control of your character, about finding the weak points yourself and avoiding blows. Those are elements of an action game, not an RPG.

You just cried fowl on an entire sub-genre of RPGs, you realize that right? A rather old sub-genre at that. I actually found The Witcher 2's combat to be a bit easy on the grand scheme of things (even on Hard) and a pleasure to control. Some minor gripes but nothing to royally fuck it over.

Take the inability to hit things that you aren't personally targeting (without the whirl ability) - even in a RPG-related combat context, it's simply stupid to be able to wave your sword around without hitting something that is indicated to be directly in front of you.

That was kind of silly and it's a pain in the ass to have to rely on lock-on targeting when you want to "swing swing, switch target leap swing, swing, roll, Igni, parry, swing" etc. instead of focusing down one dude or releasing your lock-on and hope it switches.

That said ... the amount of times where you had 4+ enemies at once was so rare that I can't remember the last time this actually became a problem. 2-3 enemies were just never a big deal.

I suppose you could theoretically kite enemies in Bayonetta, but the point was that the combat system in that game was so fluid it was relatively easy to dart from enemy to enemy, dodging blows or countering moves while easily continuing your combo; everything flowed into everything else. Trying something similar in Witcher 2 just gets you instantly hitstunned to death (hitstun and inability to cancel out of moves in W2 is probably a major source of my complaints).

You can do the same in The Witcher 2. Since I'm doing my playthrough now without Quen, combat has really opened up to look a lot more fluid and less "hurr durr I'm a tank." Proper parries, quick attacks in between their swings, rolling to re-position, etc. all being done instead of just "dodge away, reapply Quen."

Hell, it's not until this playthrough that I realized you can attack things behind you; Geralt will just stab backwards. That alone has made my combat flow so much better than before.

Jintor

Previously? Previous to TW2? It certainly has.

scy said:
You just cried fowl on an entire sub-genre of RPGs, you realize that right? A rather old sub-genre at that. I actually found The Witcher 2's combat to be a bit easy on the grand scheme of things (even on Hard) and a pleasure to control. Some minor gripes but nothing to royally fuck it over.

Are we talking Diablo-style click-fests? Or Dark Messiah/Oblivion-style RPGs? I confess to not being a big fan of either.

You can do the same in The Witcher 2. Since I'm doing my playthrough now without Quen, combat has really opened up to look a lot more fluid and less "hurr durr I'm a tank." Proper parries, quick attacks in between their swings, rolling to re-position, etc. all being done instead of just "dodge away, reapply Quen."

Hell, it's not until this playthrough that I realized you can attack things behind you; Geralt will just stab backwards. That alone has made my combat flow so much better than before.

My game never seems be reactive enough for me to try this when fighting more than 3 opponents (or one opponent who will murder you in three hits if you don't have quen on)

Jintor said:
I suppose you could theoretically kite enemies in Bayonetta, but the point was that the combat system in that game was so fluid it was relatively easy to dart from enemy to enemy, dodging blows or countering moves while easily continuing your combo; everything flowed into everything else. Trying something similar in Witcher 2 just gets you instantly hitstunned to death (hitstun and inability to cancel out of moves in W2 is probably a major source of my complaints). Of course, that said, I don't know how you could convert kiting-esque behaviour in a singleplayer RPG to be less like an MMO, but I'm sure there's a cool way to do it.

Or just not have kiting at all. You don't turn your back to enemies. It's silly. Devs are just generally afraid of implementing a solid, skill-based defence system because they don't want to frustrate players. And a simplistic defense system trivializes a game.

The process goes something like this:

Dev A: Ok, how do we handle defence?
Dev B: B parries, A+directional dodges.
Dev A: Ok, now we need to build up a system that keeps the two opinions in balance. Unblockable attacks will do?
Dev B: Yes but it's an RPG, we need to have scaling in these abilities, it will be a mess. We need to rebalance all monsters, and their attacks.
Dev A: What if we make it skill based?
Dev B: Like?
Dev A: Neutral stance you move around and attack and stuff. Hold down left trigger, you go parry mode, and the analog stick brings your guard in position to parry - high attack with up, low attack with down, left and right etc. Right trigger toggles dodge, front rolling, left and right strafing/quick sidesteps, back you jump back. Some things you need to handle in specific ways - like, the troll clubbing down with a tree you need to backstep or possibly sidestep if you're quick. The poking fencer noble needs to be parries as he'll read your dodges, etc. Then you can mix up stuff. And we can have multiple enemies attacking at onces, and people queueing defensive manouvers. Heck, we could have parry work with the left analog and dodge with the right one, and you being able to dodge and parry at the same time on multiple fronts! We could have something that looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNNqHxiEuTQ#t=02m01s

Dev B: Dude that's amazing but... will people get it? It's a bit... complicated. Like, hardcore. And will take a shitload of work. It's somewhat convoluted.
Dev A: Damn, got a point there. Options?
Dev B: Parry is OP, but has cooldown/erosion. Add some kiting.
Dev A: Sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom