• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

phaze

I finally got a PC that will be able to run the game, so I wanted to ask a question. Do you think I should play it with or without the combat balance mod?

The mod still has bugs that are being fixed. I would generally recommend playing at least once the vanilla version as I'm not a fan of a few changes in the modified version.

malfcn

Trying to get the dummies in Flotsam,since I missed the Prologue ones. Have tried reloading, playing dice and running through doors. Have steel and silver..can't get the perk.

nbraun80

So I just picked this up in the Xbox sale and loving it so far. I just have one question, are things like chains and iron rings listed under junk truly that and should be sold right away or is there a purpose to any of the stuff in the category later?

So I just picked this up in the Xbox sale and loving it so far. I just have one question, are things like chains and iron rings listed under junk truly that and should be sold right away or is there a purpose to any of the stuff in the category later?
Just sell them. When the game first came out on PC it didn't have the "Junk" category so it was much harder to sell that stuff off easily.

Ushae

Banned
I picked this up on the Xbox Sale recently, already played it on PC.

I'm going for a Dark Mode playthrough and aiming to get all the achievements this time, need my badge of honour bfore W3 comes out :)

Any ideas and tips for a talent build in Dark Mode?

Ushae

Banned
Those are pretty solid sales for what they are. Remember the game sold over a million on PC alone last year. You can bet its gonna see alot of success over time with Steam sales, GOG, etc. It hasn't really been discounted all that heavily up to this point (lowest was $20?).

I hope Witcher 3 does incredibly well. It's a day 1 purchase for me. These guys deserve every bit of success they can get.

Le-mo

So I'm playing this game and I can't for the love of me know how to equip items in the inventory menu. I'm playing this on Steam but using a 360 pad. The left stick/d pad is used to select an empty slot and the RB/LB is used to select the items to equip. The problem is when I go to an empty slot and select an item to equip it does nothing. I can unequip items just fine. The heck is going on.

So I'm playing this game and I can't for the love of me know how to equip items in the inventory menu. I'm playing this on Steam but using a 360 pad. The left stick/d pad is used to select an empty slot and the RB/LB is used to select the items to equip. The problem is when I go to an empty slot and select an item to equip it does nothing. I can unequip items just fine. The heck is going on.
Yeah, it's confusing cause they start your "cursor" on the equipped items. You have to move the thumbstick to the left until you're on the unequipped items, and then you can select them. You don't even need to unequip items unless you are re-arranging the quick slots. It'll just auto replace things with whatever you select.

malfcn

I am near the end of 1 and want to make sure I have the story straight so far:
Loredo is an ass trying to control Flotsam. I've convinced Roche that I will catch the kingslayer. Iorveth is leading elves in the forest, that team with and was betrayed by Letho. Talking to the prisoner on the barge jumped started my memory and Triss says we can reclaim it with rose petals. I know soon I have to choose Roche or Iorveth's path. I want to get to Iorveth to get Letho. Triss wants me to leave it all behind, but either way I will get Letho.

I rewatched the scenes. What is confusing is how I say I don't care about anything, but will do stuff anyways. Have I got it straight?

Le-mo

Yeah, it's confusing cause they start your "cursor" on the equipped items. You have to move the thumbstick to the left until you're on the unequipped items, and then you can select them. You don't even need to unequip items unless you are re-arranging the quick slots. It'll just auto replace things with whatever you select.
Ah, that helped a lot. Now I can finally play with the inventory slots. Thanks.

Celegus

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but it looks like this mod/patch thing wouldn't automatically download via Steam since it's unofficial. For someone jumping into Witcher 2, is it generally a better experience to just apply this right at first? Or just leave it as is?

Celegus

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but it looks like this mod/patch thing wouldn't automatically download via Steam since it's unofficial. For someone jumping into Witcher 2, is it generally a better experience to just apply this right at first? Or just leave it as is?

I did try applying this to my game and I think it kind of busted it. Apparently it's meant for fresh saves from the beginning. I can't seem to level up or get talent points anymore, even with the mod uninstalled. I'm stuck at level 6 even though I have more than enough experience to get to level 7, and all the talent trees are locked.

Did anyone else ever run into this? Am I just gonna need to start over..?

Gvaz

Banned
If you've already played the game before the act 3 fix, is it even worth it playing it again to see the changes?

I feel like I should but I still have old hardware and I don't really want to play through at 20fps on low again

Branson

Quick question about the combat mod. Is it playable with a controller? Its what I was planning to use on my first playthrough

Decided to finally run through the game a second time to check out the new content and alt story paths and figured I'd give the combat rebalance mod a try. I have the game through STEAM and downloaded the mod through Nexus.

Long story short I've installed / uninstalled it twice through the Nexus mod manager it looks like nothing has changed once I start a new game. (Can still block normally, skill tree looks the same)

Do I have to enable it in game somewhere? Feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks

Celegus

Decided to finally run through the game a second time to check out the new content and alt story paths and figured I'd give the combat rebalance mod a try. I have the game through STEAM and downloaded the mod through Nexus.

Long story short I've installed / uninstalled it twice through the Nexus mod manager it looks like nothing has changed once I start a new game. (Can still block normally, skill tree looks the same)

Do I have to enable it in game somewhere? Feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks

Are the boxes checked for each Act in the mod manager from the launcher?

TCRS

Banned
I have just more or less now started playing this game. When I first put it in all those names, kingdoms, stories, battles that I didn't know anything about put me off. The menu didn't help either. But I'm glad I have continued, I am slowly getting a grip on who is who and the fighting mechanics were addictive anyways.

I absolutely love the atmosphere of this game, the gritty shithole that Flotsam is, the dense but beautiful forest etc. I have [flotsam]
killed the Kayran, I am doing the squirrel part now with Triss missing etc.

But I still wish they would give non-readers and people who haven't played Witcher 1 more background. I have read up a little bit on that now and that makes the game even more enjoyable.

Silex

I'm interested in buying a retail copy of the enhanced edition (I like physical goodies), and if anyone here bought it, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if it comes with a serial for the GOG backup - can't find that detail anywhere on the Internet.
Also, it's completely DRM free, right?

Hoplatee

Hi,

Does anyone have a save for me at the end of chapter 1? I lost all my saves and finished the
Roche path a few weeks ago so I wanted to do the other path now
but I lost them all because of a hard drive crash. Difficulty setting doesn't really matter since I plan on just using godmode to experience that part.

Not really a spoiler but still putting it in there.

(Did not have cloud enabled, doh!)

phaze

Hi,

Does anyone have a save for me at the end of chapter 1? I lost all my saves and finished the
Roche path a few weeks ago so I wanted to do the other path now
but I lost them all because of a hard drive crash. Difficulty setting doesn't really matter since I plan on just using godmode to experience that part.

Not really a spoiler but still putting it in there.

(Did not have cloud enabled, doh!)

Saves work no matter the language version right ? If so here you go.

http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/87501777/file.html
http://www17.zippyshare.com/v/21042778/file.html

Not mine but I checked and it works. It is after the
Letho-Geralt fight though.

Juravsky

I'm interested in buying a retail copy of the enhanced edition (I like physical goodies), and if anyone here bought it, I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if it comes with a serial for the GOG backup - can't find that detail anywhere on the Internet.
Also, it's completely DRM free, right?

I bought mine retail like 6 months ago. It came with a serial for GOG and I had no problem to activate it. It is DRM free.

Riggs

Banned
About to play The Witcher 2 EE with the combat mod, but my question is will the 360 controller be ok with the combat mod? I know how it handles in regular, but I've never tried this mod before. I just want to play on my TV and sit on the couch because I am lazy, or I would use KB/M.

Hope this is the right thread for this

Edit crappp just found the Combat Mod thread, sorry.

Petrie

Banned
Is there a mod to make navigation easier? Constantly getting lost on every quest makes me keep quitting. Maybe modern games have spoiled me but getting lost all the time isn't fun.

Nether

Neo Member
Just went back to back on TW1&2. Loved both of them. Started out the series picking dialogue options at a whim but it wasn't long before it was taking me some time to make a decision. Very impressed that the games challenged me in such an unorthodox way.

A few quibbles with 2, mostly relating to the prevalence of QTEs, uneven difficulty (shouldn't have started on Dark) and a few poorly placed savepoints, but mostly it was awesome.

Going home to give it another runthrough. Going full Bro this time.

Effect

Got game on sale from Steam and I tried. Put 10 hours into the game and really it just never clicked like I hoped it would. I even expected it would. Have to say I'm pretty disappointed that's how things end up. I enjoyed Skyrim, Two Worlds 2, The Witcher 1 and honestly didn't expect Witcher 2 to be different in terms of enjoyment but something about how it controls, how combat is done, and even how it looks is off to me and a few other things just bother me.

I've uninstalled the game but maybe I was doing something wrong? Approached it wrong in some way? Or did it simply not click and I shouldn't worry about it?

Why the fuck can't I enter into the tunnel of founders? i have the key but it wont fucking open. This is fucking ridiculous. Everyone says in CH2 on I's path I can open the goddamn door, but, it wont open. Is my game bugged?

Loxley

Picked this up for the 360 and I'm really enjoying it so far (about three/four hours in). The combat is way more interesting than I initially thought it would be - a love playing around with the various signs and potions.

repeater

Hi WitchGAF! I've got Witcher 2 EE installed and working on my computer (after a lot of hassle with corrupted installations, a launcher that didn't get a connection to download patches, broken patches and whatnot), but it's just a laptop (MSI GT780 - 6 GB DDRIII RAM, GTX560M, Inter i5-2410M etc) so I won't be getting very impressive performance or IQ out of the game.

On the settings that Nvidia Experience recommends for me - which seems to be most of the settings turned down to minimum - I'm getting between 40 and 60 frames per second (I've only tried it out in the arena so it might be lower in the open world I guess). It doesn't look BAD per se, but when you know that a game is supposed to be really pretty it's a bit of a shame to see it in this light.

So what I'm wondering is basically whether you guys think I would get better visuals and/or performance playing the Xbox 360 version? In that case I might go for that one instead.

Hoplatee

I can tell you that the Xbox version is pretty good. Saw my friend play it in few weeks time and was actually surprised how well it held up to the PC version.

So I guess you could just crank your settings a bit higher since you will never be able to reach solid 60 FPS, play till you reach chapter 1 (1 to 2 hours I guess, bit more perhaps) and see if it still runs any decent. If not you could always grab the Xbox version. But if all settings are set to min I am actually pretty sure the Xbox version would look better.

Sajjaja

Hey guys, I`m playing with the FCR 2 mod and I`m having a problem with trophies. I`m in act 3 and they`re still useless. I remember I saw a skill before that allowed you to use them but I hadn`t gotten access to it yet, but now it`s no where to be found....help

So I think I'm about half way through chapter 2 collecting various items in my search for
Triss...

It starting to drag a bit. Does it pick back up any time soon?

Sora_N

I started this last night. Picked it up last month after seeing the w3 trailer. I have it on steam. The tutorials are not that helpful and everything feels so complicated. The battle system feels really frustrating from the tutorial arena. I feel overwhelmed. I do really like the setting so far though.

Will it get better? I'm on easy which I dont mind. I just want to experience the game and story.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I started this last night. Picked it up last month after seeing the w3 trailer. I have it on steam. The tutorials are not that helpful and everything feels so complicated. The battle system feels really frustrating from the tutorial arena. I feel overwhelmed. I do really like the setting so far though.

Will it get better? I'm on easy which I dont mind. I just want to experience the game and story.

Even on the higher difficulties, you can make the combat pretty trivial by fast tracking to the adrenaline abilities. The easiest path to do that on is the Swordsman path, and you'll want to put some points into getting Dodge no matter what.

Witcher 2 has rightfully developed a reputation for having a bit of a hump in the beginning that they've never quite successfully smoothed over with patches. But it does get easier once you're better equipped with skills and gear. Try to take as few enemies on at once as possible, and keep them in front of you or separated by terrain. You take a lot of damage being hit from behind but so do they. Your spells are all useful as well, particularly Quen your shield spell.

Ilúvatar

Finally finished this last night after a putting it aside for a long while. Turns out I had about ten minutes left in the game from where I left off.

Really looking forward to playing through again, taking the other path (
Roche
), and getting all the cheevos

Sajjaja

So I'm playing and I checked the weapons I'm using on the Wiki, and I noticed that they have different stats.

For example, Mahakaman Rune Sihil I'm using does 25 damage and 5 damage reduction on block.

But the wiki for this sword says, 10-12 damange with 2% chance of instant kill. Any ideas what the deal is?

I did use the Combat mod for a previous playthrough but this new playthrough I have it disabled.

EDIT: Fixed it. You not only have to uncheck the mods in the menu, but you also have to disable the FCR under the DLC.

jett

D-Member
I'm starting out on this game for the first time on a new PC.

So...pretty much everyone "cheats" and uses the everything weighs nothing mod, right? Even before reaching Flotsam and I've already broken the limit. What's the point of this crap?

jett

D-Member
Man the fight clubs in this game...are these brainless QTEs the way they're gonna be for the entire game? There is literally zero challenge.

What's the point of picking everything up?

I'm a virtual hoarder. Inventory systems with weight or other limitations are the bane of my existence.

If CDPR didn't want me to pick so much shit up, they don't should have so much shit prime for being picked up lying around. :p

phaze

Man the fight clubs in this game...are these brainless QTEs the way they're gonna be for the entire game? There is literally zero challenge.

Yup. Neither of the minigames comes off as very compelling. I think they even changed dice poker for the worse.

I'm a virtual hoarder. Inventory systems with weight or other limitations are the bane of my existence.

If CDPR didn't want me to pick so much shit up, they don't should have so much shit prime for being picked up lying around. :p

Same, first run without the mod was really painful.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm starting out on this game for the first time on a new PC.

So...pretty much everyone "cheats" and uses the everything weighs nothing mod, right? Even before reaching Flotsam and I've already broken the limit. What's the point of this crap?

It was even worse before the directors cut version came out, there was no stash at the Inns.

Hopefully they learned their lesson for Witcher 3.

phaze

I think every sane person just used the zero weight mod that was like the first one released as soon as the game came out.

Can't recall but I either want my first playthrough to be completely clean modwise or I didn't think it would be available so soon. :)

Having recently finished this after owning since release, I wasn't aware there was any mods beyond the CDPR combat one 0_0

I enjoyed the game and I'm looking forward to W3 immensely, but the ending is kind of abrupt, and dare I say, lacklustre?

Prismo

Neo Member
I recently started playing again, for whatever reason, and I have to say I didn't see it when I played it at launch, loved the first game and hated what they did to the combat in the second, but now I get it, it clicks. So much so that I am on my second play through in as many weeks.

Except this time I am playing Dark mode...and I've hit the Eternal Battle. I'm usually pretty Zen about playing games, but the rage, so much rage. It is fortunate that I am not the President of the United States because if it were in my power to nuke Poland I don't think I would have the self control not to.

Top Bottom