• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

owlbeak

Which is weird because I'm pretty sure in the first game you could drink potions straight from the inventory. Not sure why they changed that.
Potion loading during battles. Geralt would just be like "Yo dawg, Zack Morris time out!" and chug a few potions. It was too game-y, I think.

I like having to do it while meditating a lot better, but it's hard to know when you're going to need to load up on potions. A lot of times you walk through a door and you're in a fight with five enemies. I just started pretty much always having a Swallow and Tawny Owl potion active at all time. That's not difficult if you get a few skills in Alchemy that allow potions to last longer.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm not really enjoying the combat very much in act 1. The Nekker cave outside Flotsam for the elf quest was stupid. Wish it worked more like Batman with its fluid combos.

Or even Witcher 1's group attacks. I just felt stupidly overwhelmed fighting 7 enemies.

owlbeak

I'm not really enjoying the combat very much in act 1. The Nekker cave outside Flotsam for the elf quest was stupid. Wish it worked more lik Batman with its fluid combos.

Or even Witcher 1's group attacks. I just felt stupidly overwhelmed fighting 7 enemies.
I think chaining combos works incredibly smooth in this game in comparison to TW1. About four skills into the Swordsmanship tree is a skill that allows you to do damage to multiple enemies at once, basically the equivalent to the group stance in the first game.

Eusis

And some quests are seriously better tackled after gaining some levels. At least it feels hard in a way that's legitimate rather than like Skyrim can be (at least for awhile) where it's just straight up elephantiasis of HP.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Guess I should have moved into Swords as soon as I reached level 6. Alchemy hasn't been a great boon in whatever areas I've had trouble in so far.

Complistic

I'm not really enjoying the combat very much in act 1. The Nekker cave outside Flotsam for the elf quest was stupid. Wish it worked more like Batman with its fluid combos.

Pretty sure some of the optional side quests are difficult on purpose. They're suppose to be a challenge and are for people looking for challenge. If it's too frustrating don't do it.

squidyj

I farm that cave, a lot.

- use bombs, zerrikanian sun can be replenished by what you find on the nekkers
- watch your positioning and make sure you aren't being surrounded
- nekkers dodge easy but they can be pretty slow to attackif you push them off on one side you should be able to turn and face a threat from the side
- watch your positioning, try not to let them form a semicircle in front of you, you'll get killed that way.
- fast attacks only
- try to run them around the middle pillar, it will help spread them out.
- get used to the rhythm of fighting these guys, be careful and watch where your next strike should go.

Guess I should have moved into Swords as soon as I reached level 6. Alchemy hasn't been a great boon in whatever areas I've had trouble in so far.
Alchemy gets awesome once you get impregnation 2/2 but don't fill mutagen slots before that and don't fill them with anything less than the highest quality mutagens.

2AdEPT

There isn't any reason why fighting 7 enemies would work in reality right? So why do it in the game?? YOu're a witcher. YOu can draw the Nekkers out slow, encroach ontheir territory ever so slightly with bombs and traps to whittle them down a bit first, then kill them all in one shot without losing any health if you really wantt to...I chose to trap a few and kill the rest when the mob beciame more manageable, but on Dark mode, the instructions pretty much are that you have to use all the different equipment you have at your disposal.

Another strategy I was forced to use on the Queen endregas was to lure a pack of nekkers in towards the queens. Once the queens and nekkers were more concerned about each other I had the time to set traps and throw bombs etc. the nekkers actully did more damage ot the queen than I could! So I almost didn't get through that figth on Dark, but it was obvious that if I didn't use every trick in the book it would not have gone easily. On my next playthrough I think I will force myself to fight face to face with things more, but when I was still learning I had to use my brain, not brawn.

Thrakier

That's weird, I'm playing on ahrd and find it super easy. I died way more on my normal playthrough in the beginning. Maybe because I adapted a certain playstyle already. I died a few times but I was missing concentration in those scenes.

Grymm

Banned

Alchemy and magic trees really don't show their full power until you're much later in the game but once you've leveled them sufficiently they're extremely strong.

Swords has more benefit right up front and is always useful.

You can't really go wrong.

Berto

The key in combat is NEVER be surrounded, Geralt is fast when he rolls so its easy to avoid being hit from behind. Then you'll have to be always moving, don't try to duel standing still.

I like having to do it while meditating a lot better, but it's hard to know when you're going to need to load up on potions. A lot of times you walk through a door and you're in a fight with five enemies. I just started pretty much always having a Swallow and Tawny Owl potion active at all time. That's not difficult if you get a few skills in Alchemy that allow potions to last longer.
Usually i die the first time then on the next try i prepare myself accordingly :D

iavi

Act 1 side quest:
From where/who do I get what I need to destroy the nekker nests?
It gives me the prompt to destroy them when I close in on them, but Geralt just goss 'hmm, should take care of this' or something like that.

Naito

Act 1 side quest:
It gives me the prompt to destroy them when I close in on them, but Geralt just goss 'hmm, should take care of this' or something like that.

Kill all the nekkers near the nest (if you fail to plant the bomb before aggro'ing) and use a grapeshot bomb, either buy or craft it, to destroy it permanently.
There're 4 nekker nests, so you'll need 4 grapeshot bombs to complete the contract.

Grymm

Banned
Act 1 side quest:

It would be cool if there was some info on nekkers in one of the games menus or something....

Edit- Or the poster above me could just flat out tell you. But yeah if you read the nekker entry in your log it tells you what to do.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Act 1 side quest:

Grapeshot bombs. You can make them in the Alchemy screen. If you don't already have the schematics, I'm pretty sure you can purchase them from Cedric (the Elf watching over the outskirts).

EDIT - Too ploughing slow.

2AdEPT

Act 1 side quest:

Wrecking the nests happened automatically for me. I did
read all skill books for monsters though,
so perhaps this is a requirement first and not optional. It gave a prompt to press X with the "examine" word in blue so I did. THree seconds later the nest burst into flames....was even able to get a few done in the middle of battling the nekkers!!!

Edit: Sorry looks like the answer has been unanimous...I always had a few bombs on me so that makes sense I guess....didn't even realize.

@ macfoshizzle: Do you mean Xbox or PC? I got my retail PC copy for $29 a month ago, then upgraded to EE for free and am enjoying a GOG back-up with all the manuals both online now and in hard copy...if you can find any retialers selling the old PC version it is the best deal if you are worried about cost....I feel guilty; but signed up to both steam and GOG as a result of this game and bought TW1 and will buy a lot of those sites in the future so I guess it was worth it for them to be so giving.

iavi

Ah, thx, guys. Worst thing is: I actually skimmed through the book on nekkers to fulfill that req phase, but super quickly, and never actually noticed that it would have told me what I needed. That's a lesson learned.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Wow, love the game so far. Only main gripe I have are QTEs, so annoying. I do love the combat though, so different from everything else.

Mike M

Nick N
Either I suck or this game is haaaaaaaard. I'm regularly getting taken apart by enemies, even when I prep with oils and potions and spam Quen at every opportunity. The troll and queen bug monster can pretty much one-shot me, most anything else seems like they get the better of me if there's more than one at a time.

I could use some better gear (Still Chapter 1), but the diagrams are pricey and I have to scrape by for every Oren that comes my way...

Had an easier time with Dark Souls

owlbeak

Either I suck or this game is haaaaaaaard. I'm regularly getting taken apart by enemies, even when I prep with oils and potions and spam Quen at every opportunity. The troll and queen bug monster can pretty much one-shot me, most anything else seems like they get the better of me if there's more than one at a time.

I could use some better gear (Still Chapter 1), but the diagrams are pricey and I have to scrape by for every Oren that comes my way...

The game is hard. You'll find this game is a lot different from most. While buffs with potions and oils help, they won't be the deciding factor in most fights. The game forces you to use strategy and tactics. Divide and conquer is the best advice I've seen in this thread. Single out opponents, try to separate them from their group and focus on one enemy at a time. Traps and bombs are your friends. Quen is a great tool, but don't forget your other signs! Aard can stun wounded opponents, allowing you to execute them in one hit. Yrden is my favorite as it will stun enemies when they walk into it, allowing you to unload some heavy attacks on them, often killing them before they come out of the effect. Also, ROLL! :)

Grymm

Banned

Quens not that good anymore. Run in circles and shoot the bug queen with fire. Fool-proof but takes a while. That tactic works with a lot of encounters.

legbone

thanks for all the tips guys. i just got home and getting ready to fire this up after grabbing a bite. can't wait to get going. gotta admit, feeling a little intimidated. this generation has made me weak.

I uninstalled this game about a month ago because I couldn't get past this one certain side quest and it infuriated me. I reinstalled because of the EE update and I really wanted to play the game. I finally figured out why it was so hard.
I forgot to forge Geralt's silver sword.
Not doing that made fighting much harder. Anyway, I'm re-enjoying the game now. This game is gorgeous on ultra.

I have one question: can I delete the update executables in the downloads folder of the Documents/Witcher 2/Downloads folder? I'm fully up to date and would like that precious space back on my SSD.

Grymm

Banned
I uninstalled this game about a month ago because I couldn't get past this one certain side quest and it infuriated me. I reinstalled because of the EE update and I really wanted to play the game. I finally figured out why it was so hard.
I forgot to forge Geralt's silver sword.
Not doing that made fighting much harder. Anyway, I'm re-enjoying the game now. This game is gorgeous on ultra.

I have one question: can I delete the update executables in the downloads folder of the Documents/Witcher 2/Downloads folder? I'm fully up to date and would like that precious space back on my SSD.

Yup after the game is fully updated and you see it's working you can delete that whole download folder created by the EE update if you want.

Potion loading during battles. Geralt would just be like "Yo dawg, Zack Morris time out!" and chug a few potions. It was too game-y, I think.

I agree at this point. As that is part of the witcher lore so to speak, so I like having to meditate to do it. Im guessing this may have been why they changed it, along with it being too game-y.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Quens not that good anymore. Run in circles and shoot the bug queen with fire. Fool-proof but takes a while. That tactic works with a lot of encounters.

Yeah, I did this for a good few of the encounters when I was about to die. Do you ever get more spells than what you start with?

Zeliard

Which is weird because I'm pretty sure in the first game you could drink potions straight from the inventory. Not sure why they changed that.

Because in the first game you could just spam potions in combat and it killed the challenge. It's one of the absolute best changes they made. It's also much more lore-approriate.

Arnie

Ok so I've encountered my first frustration, end of Act 1 spoilers:

I did the Crossroads quest and it's instantly forced me to fail the Nekkar and Endenga contracts, and now I can't get the pest achievement. I little warning that all outstanding contracts would be cancelled would've been appreciated. Now I've got a save from before I decided at the Crossroads quest, but I was thinking, are there other pest quests in the game ala the Nekkar ones? If not couldn't I just reload, and complete those two quests for the achievement?

Because in the first game you could just spam potions in combat and it killed the challenge. It's one of the absolute best changes they made. It's also much more lore-approriate.

Yes, I agree; I forgot you could spam, but I was pointing out that you could do it that way in the first game. I'm glad they changed it, without a doubt. Prepare yourself or die, really.

Arnie

its either i suck at this game or this game is kinda hard at normal? lol.

i think im gonna play on easy

It was hard for me in the Prologue and the start of Act 1, but by the start of chapter 2 I feel pretty comfortable. I'm on normal too.

Naito

Ok so I've encountered my first frustration, end of Act 1 spoilers:

I did the Crossroads quest and it's instantly forced me to fail the Nekkar and Endenga contracts, and now I can't get the pest achievement. I little warning that all outstanding contracts would be cancelled would've been appreciated. Now I've got a save from before I decided at the Crossroads quest, but I was thinking, are there other pest quests in the game ala the Nekkar ones? If not couldn't I just reload, and complete those two quests for the achievement?

Every Act has a hub with a board with 1-2 monster contracts.
You need to complete the Nekkar's and Endregar's in Act 1 to unlock the Pest Control achievement.

Arnie

Every Act has a hub with a board with 1-2 monster contracts.
Yes, you need to complete the Nekkar's and Endregar's for the Pest Control achievement.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to save that achievement for a second playthrough; which is particularly infuriating because I'll no doubt be trying it on Dark mode.

Top Bottom