• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Extreme Quality Flora Mod [Trailer, download, fixes grass pop-in]

Flora mod look great. I hope my 7970 doesn't choke on it, I spent a good amount of time balancing settings to get a pretty solid 60 fps. Maybe the grass only mod is a good middle ground for me.

Ryoku

Alright, I guess I can consider this the first release of the full version, which I've dubbed Extreme Quality Flora. This does not just improve grass, but almost all flora in the game, rendering bushes, weeds, ferns, trees, and other greenery at maximum LOD over the longest distance.

Trailer (1080p): http://youtu.be/_9ukL814wVY
Download (17.6 MB): https://mega.co.nz/#!NoRVEK7Z!GXLjr1jPq1OyCV-R0GGlTT-lRx1JaRyB-deob_ipTcs

The op has been heavily updated to better explain the mod, and provide media as well as downloads.

Enjoy.
It is because of you (and the upcoming release of Witcher 3) that I will buy this game during the sale right now :)

Dec

Alright, I guess I can consider this the first release of the full version, which I've dubbed Extreme Quality Flora. This does not just improve grass, but almost all flora in the game, rendering bushes, weeds, ferns, trees, and other greenery at maximum LOD over the longest distance.

Download (17.6 MB): https://mega.co.nz/#!NoRVEK7Z!GXLjr1jPq1OyCV-R0GGlTT-lRx1JaRyB-deob_ipTcs

The op has been heavily updated to better explain the mod, and provide media as well as downloads.

Enjoy.

Good song choice. Thanks for your effort, excited to revisit this game soon.

Ryoku

Also, EC, what's the performance hit difference between the two versions (grass only vs extreme flora)?

I assume tweaking the render distance in the .ini file will work with these mods to get the right distance and performance.

Enjoy.

Awesome job. Reinstalling for you my good sire!

Sethos

Banned
Do you mean the locked story branching?

Me neither, but the gameplay is solid and the story and lore are great.

No, more the on-rail experience of the game. I always associate RPGs with freedom, Witcher 2 feels like a series of levels.

Maybe I'm not giving it a fair chance.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I provide a little more info on the ini tweaks for render distance in the readme. Standard maxed out for foliage and mesh is 1. 3 is a nice middle ground of rendering distance and performance, ensuring more or less all areas are "full" of flora. 2 eases up performance further and covers most of the smaller areas, but you can notice some very distance pop-in in the larger areas (whether this is a concern or not depends on you, as it's still quite far).

Performance will be hit hard because the mod is pushing stupid extremes. I was testing before with ini tweaks set to 4, and the average is all over the place. In a smaller area, 50 - 60 easier. Drops to 30 - 40 in bigger areas. And for at least two vistas (very extreme and weirdly optimised) 25 - 30. But TW2 really isn't supposed to be pushing flora this far, and the drops are quirky in that you have to be looking in a specific direction, even when equally flora dense areas don't seem to drop as badly. In short: your mileage may vary.

I'm running on an i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz, 8GB RAM, and GTX 670 2GB. So yeah, my advice would be to try setting of 3 first, and if you're not happy with performance drag it back to 2.

Grass mod shouldn't hit as hard as the full mod, as it's not forcibly rendering bushes and shit at higher resolution. But grass still takes a toll. I don't know the performance difference off the top of my head, sorry.

How would this run on a 6870 with just the grass mod?
I 've been saving witcher 2 for a rainy day where my internet craps out.

But that day doesn't seem to come and I bought the game so long ago that it's becoming silly now. Might as well finally play through it and enjoy it.

Also off topic question: which of the stories do I pick in the dungeon? I remember that choice baffling me when I tried 2 hours of the game when I bought it , played witcher 1 but none of the choices rang a bell or made sense, and then my choice put me in a town with the king and had no idea what was going on.

gillty

Banned
No, more the on-rail experience of the game. I always associate RPGs with freedom, Witcher 2 feels like a series of levels.

The initial prologue act is certainly like that, but beyond that it opens up (act1) and does not feel at all like a series of stringed together levels.

It is very tricky with the half-open world maps.

That's why I'm looking forward to TW3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How would this run on a 6870 with just the grass mod?

No idea. Sorry man. When it comes to benchmarking this shit I wouldn't have any idea what performance people will get beyond my own hardware.

Also off topic question: which of the stories do I pick in the dungeon? I remember that choice baffling me when I tried 2 hours of the game when I bought it , played witcher 1 but none of the choices rang a bell or made sense, and then my choice put me in a town with the king and had no idea what was going on.

You'll pick them all. Just go down them in order. The scene is Geralt in a prison explaining to Roche the events of the day. No real puzzle to solve. Start with the top and move down, as that's the canonical sequence of events.

As for how the game begins, it doesn't draw too much from The Witcher beyond the end hook.
Geralt and his lover Triss are following King Foltest around as his protectors, due to the assassination attempt by another witcher that took place in the first game's epilogue. Foltest is in the middle of a war with rebels, and so our story begins.

No idea. Sorry man. When it comes to benchmarking this shit I wouldn't have any idea what performance people will get beyond my own hardware.

You'll pick them all. Just go down them in order. The scene is Geralt in a prison explaining to Roche the events of the day. No real puzzle to solve. Start with the top and move down, as that's the canonical sequence of events.

As for how the game begins, it doesn't draw too much from The Witcher beyond the end hook.
Geralt and his lover Triss are following King Foltest around as his protectors, due to the assassination attempt by another witcher that took place in the first game's epilogue. Foltest is in the middle of a war with rebels, and so our story begins.

Thanks:) Yeah I wasn't clear on the order, I may have picked the middle one I really can't remember.

Your explenation is good, I was so lost because it seemed so detached from the first game, felt like I was being dropped off in the middle of events with nothing to go by.

Dec

Thanks:) Yeah I wasn't clear on the order, I may have picked the middle one I really can't remember.

Your explenation is good, I was so lost because it seemed so detached from the first game, felt like I was being dropped off in the middle of events with nothing to go by.

I think that is by design. Been a while since I played but I think you are supposed to have no idea what's going on, then they fill in the blanks by you playing flashbacks that eventually explain why you're there. They use them as a tutorial.

Sethos

Banned
Game downloaded and installed, took ages with the Steam sale going on. Also installed the mod and tomorrow I will try making my way through the game before W3 arrives.

So thanks for the mod EC.

hlhbk

So I downloaded the extreme version of the mod, put it in the directory the read me says to. Went to mods, selected it, and I don't see any improvement? Pop in everywhere?

Grassy

I just restarted replaying The Witcher 2 a week or so ago and the first thing I noticed was the shithouse pop-in so this mod is just what I wanted. It looks a shitload better.

I've got an i7 2600k @ 4.3, 8 GB RAM and SLI 670's and with this mod I'm running at 2560 x 1440 with everything enabled or at the highest settings in options except Ubersampling. My fps is generally around 45-60 outdoors, although I've seen it hit as low as high 30's.
Only problem is the cutscenes take a massive hit(because of my settings, not mod related) and are anywhere from 10(!) to 30 fps...good work.

I'm going to install this now. Where is the performance hit the most notable?

Edit:

I have a i7 930 @ 3.9 Ghz, 8GB Ram and an HD7970. With mesh and foliage distance scaling set to 3, I walked around just about the entire Flotsam forest. Framerate dipped to its lowest point, 38 fps when standing at the waterfall looking across an opening in woods with the large sculpture of a head with a wide open mouth. I'd say the average would be low 50s, going between 38 and 60 (vsync enabled). I haven't tried the other foliage filled areas yet.

I did quickly load the last chapter because there were some annoying vines that popped in very close I remembered in the middle of town. They were fixed with this mod. Locked 60 fps in that area, but there is very little foliage. I imagine chapter 2, Roche path is the tough spot. I'll have to find one of my saves in that area. I backup and purge saves for Witcher 2 because too many saves makes initially loading a game slow.

Also, it looks great.

Edit:

Oh boy, I found a save in the battlefield. Dropped framerate below 20fps with my current settings. Ouch.

Changed distance scaling to 2, lowest framerate drop seems to be looking over the battlefield, back to the fort, looking slightly left. Drops to 24 fps. Seems to stay in the 40-60 in most other spots in that field.

Changed to 1.6 and now it doesn't dip below 30 in that area but the draw in is definitely more noticeable. I can deal with it but it wouldn't be nearly as bad if it was for the bright green grass.

EatChildren

So I downloaded the extreme version of the mod, put it in the directory the read me says to. Went to mods, selected it, and I don't see any improvement? Pop in everywhere?

Grass pop-in or everything? It doesnt change characters, buildings, etc. Those will still have LOD issues.

Another flora related mod that people may want to look at especially if the pop in bothers you and you can't set the distance scaling to levels like 3 or 4 are these that return the color of the grass to what they were pre-enhanced edition:

http://witcher2.nexusmods.com/mods/274/?
http://witcher2.nexusmods.com/mods/303/?

These are older, I believe. You extract the contents in to the CookedPC directory in your Witcher 2 install directory.

The darker grass is far less distracting when being drawn in the distance. Combining this allows me to use EatChildren's mod and set the Distance Scaling factor to a lower than 2 value and be quite satisfied with the results.

Sethos

Banned
Seeing as this is an active Witcher 2 thread, quick question for the initiated - Should I disable or enable game DoF? I've seen some shots where the DoF looks good but I've also seen clean shots that look fantastic without the DoF. I'm torn, are the non-DoF looking good situations few and far in between or?

Seeing as this is an active Witcher 2 thread, quick question for the initiated - Should I disable or enable game DoF? I've seen some shots where the DoF looks good but I've also seen clean shots that look fantastic without the DoF. I'm torn, are the non-DoF looking good situations few and far in between or?

I personally only have it enabled during cutscenes. I think it's a little to drastic in gameplay myself.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.

Wait, wait hold the damn phone.

Is this post implying that you have in fact, not played The Witcher 2 yet? Because I'm pretty sure you are Sethos and i'm not cool with this knowledge.

Sethos

Banned
Wait, wait hold the damn phone.

Is this post implying that you have in fact, not played The Witcher 2 yet? Because I'm pretty sure you are Sethos and i'm not cool with this knowledge.

Oh no, I have played it - Got a chapter or two and always end up getting bored due to the lack of open-world design. However seeing as Witcher 3 appears to be the perfect game I need to get my ass all the way through Witcher 2 :p Figured with this mod it might as well be the next few weeks.

EatChildren

I like the DoF, but I tend to like DoF in general (unless it's all kinds of stupid excessive). In TW2 I felt the DoF was an artistic choice, such as in the Flotsam forest where a slight blur is applied to distant trees. Looks lovely as light shafts beam through. Naturally if clarity is your priority, turn it off.

You should download TW2 tweaker (http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/181) or custom edit your own User.ini file in your Witcher 2 documents folder, to ensure all vanilla settings are at maximum. You can also turn off sharpening and vignette, as well as increase the mesh/foliage render distance beyond ultra.

The darker grass is far less distracting when being drawn in the distance. Combining this allows me to use EatChildren's mod and set the Distance Scaling factor to a lower than 2 value and be quite satisfied with the results.

Man, this worked for me, then out of the blue just stopped. The first shots in this thread were taken with the grass colour fix, and then for some reason my mod started overruling the fix. Is it working for you, having both active?

Sethos

Banned
I like the DoF, but I tend to like DoF in general (unless it's all kinds of stupid excessive). In TW2 I felt the DoF was an artistic choice, such as in the Flotsam forest where a slight blur is applied to distant trees. Looks lovely as light shafts beam through. Naturally if clarity is your priority, turn it off.

You should download TW2 tweaker (http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/181) or custom edit your own User.ini file in your Witcher 2 documents folder, to ensure all vanilla settings are at maximum. You can also turn off sharpening and vignette, as well as increase the mesh/foliage render distance beyond ultra.

Man, this worked for me, then out of the blue just stopped. The first shots in this thread were taken with the grass colour fix, and then for some reason my mod started overruling the fix. Is it working for you, having both active?

Thanks man. Yeah, I remember Flotsam forest and the DoF was beautiful there - Might keep it enabled, hopefully CD Projekt's artistic vision jives with mine :p I already went through the User config especially to remove their sharpening because that is just extreme.

Downloaded the tweaker and cranked everything to max ( Except Ubersampling, leaving that off ).

Guess I'm good to go.

EatChildren

Thanks man. Yeah, I remember Flotsam forest and the DoF was beautiful there - Might keep it enabled, hopefully CD Projekt's artistic vision jives with mine :p I already went through the User config especially to remove their sharpening because that is just extreme.

Downloaded the tweaker and cranked everything to max ( Except Ubersampling, leaving that off ).

Guess I'm good to go.

Oh, I was going to say, you might want to turn off the bloom. A lot of people don't like it as it has a weird tendency to blow out textures, the glowing lowering their image quality. I probably prefer it off.

Yeah, both active is working for me. That grass is what made the popin situation way worse.

Sethos

Banned
Oh, I was going to say, you might want to turn off the bloom. A lot of people don't like it as it has a weird tendency to blow out textures, the glowing lowering their image quality. I probably prefer it off.

Yeah, working my way through the prologue and already seen the bloom cause some problems. Definitely turning that off.

Sethos

Banned
Sorry for the double-post, appears it isn't compatible with that Combat Mod 1.1 - Can that be fixed or is there no way around it?

EatChildren

Sorry for the double-post, appears it isn't compatible with that Combat Mod 1.1 - Can that be fixed or is there no way around it?

Yeah, learned this recently. I really want to fix it but I don't know how :/.

Sethos

Banned
What a shame, so I added those perimeters to the .ini file, anything else I can do to improve / help to pop-in situation besides this? Mods or otherwise?

EatChildren

The ini tweaks are all I know. Pop-in cant be solved without tweaking the assets like I did, but general rendering distance is solved through the ini tweaks.

I'm guessing FCR has assets I use baked into its files, and the game is prioritising those over mine. Hmm.

EDIT: Actually, does it give an error, or does it just not work? If it's an error, what's the error?

Sethos

Banned
It's an error of like 20 conflicting files and then it doesn't activate, so it's something the combat mod has changed too.

However I found a workaround, for now.

I edited the cook.hash file and removed all the conflicting entries. So now I can enable the mod, means the objects he's using won't be modified. It was some random ferns, trees etc.

Here's the edited cook.hash file https://mega.co.nz/#!3QwUjSpL!NwEyknW-bZh88EeUwxf_IiSiELcawk8hXouRMfiZwU4

Not saying it's an optimal solution but it's a temporary workaround. Hope you don't mind.

EatChildren

I don't mind at all. I'll have to find out what those conflicting entries are.

Sethos

Banned
Here's the list

1zflb8.png

So closer to 30 files

EatChildren

Sick. Cheers dude. Most of those changes are relatively minor. If you don't mind, I'll distribute your cook.hash file as a workaround for now.

Top Bottom