• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 getting full combat rebalance mod with new animations and big changes

velociraptor

Apologies for the bump, but can't create threads so...

I've almost finished my Steam download of Witcher 2. How should I play the game?

What patches/mods should I use?

Should I play W2 vanilla or using this combat rebalance mod?

Shengar

Apologies for the bump, but can't create threads so...

I've almost finished my Steam download of Witcher 2. How should I play the game?

What patches/mods should I use?

Should I play W2 vanilla or using this combat rebalance mod?

Definitely use this rebalance mod. Well, I've yet to continue the game but seeing the changelog I know this mod fixing some stuffs that pose problems in the vanilla version.

Skelter

Banned
Just tried arena mode. Holy shit, this game is hard.

How do I play this game? I'm using the 360 pad.

What do you mean how?

Definitely use a controller. Don't blindly rush into a group of enemies. Geralt is at his best against one to three enemies in the arena you will get destroyed. Remember also that Aard can knock people outside of the arena.

velociraptor

How do I lock on and riposte with the mod?

The tutorial said LB is lock-on but it doesn't seem to be working. Riposte seems to have been removed in story mode.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Mod 1.2 coming soon!

Hello,
Mod version 1.2 is finished and about to be released. I'm sorry it took so long, I had to take a break from The Witcher 2 after spending so much time with the game.
Version 1.2 fixes all (I hope) the bugs that were reported by you in mod's documentation and everything I noticed on forums (not much, since I rarely visit them).
It also introduces level scaling for increased late-game challenge, customizable from xml file - easy to mod.
With next release I'll stop supporting FCR2, I want to finally move on from The Witcher 2.

I'll post a proper changelog later.
There's are no changes made to localization files but if you want me to include additional languages to mod's installer, please upload them somewhere and post info here with author's name or nickname.

Well, that is a coincidence, I wanted to start playing the game and searched for this thread, see if it got updated and would be suited for a first playthrough, and there just happened to be new news.

velociraptor

Well, that is a coincidence, I wanted to start playing the game and searched for this thread, see if it got updated and would be suited for a first playthrough, and there just happened to be new news.
I don't like how you can't block monster attacks. It makes the game very difficult.

Chris_C

How do I lock on and riposte with the mod?

The tutorial said LB is lock-on but it doesn't seem to be working. Riposte seems to have been removed in story mode.

Would just like to add that the wording for this isn't clear AT ALL. I was under the impression that when they meant "riposte", they meant a counter jab after a parry (that's what a riposte is!) but it's actually a sort of pre-emptive strike. Took me 20 minutes to figure that out.

Also, like you, I got my ass absolutely handed to me in the arena. I died embarrassingly in the first round, and the game recommended easy for me, so that's what I went with.

I just started the game proper, is it too late for me to install this rebalance mod? How do I actually go about doing that? Have you found it to be helpful?

velociraptor

Would just like to add that the wording for this isn't clear AT ALL. I was under the impression that when they meant "riposte", they meant a counter jab after a parry (that's what a riposte is!) but it's actually a sort of pre-emptive strike. Took me 20 minutes to figure that out.

Also, like you, I got my ass absolutely handed to me in the arena. I died embarrassingly in the first round, and the game recommended easy for me, so that's what I went with.

I just started the game proper, is it too late for me to install this rebalance mod? How do I actually go about doing that? Have you found it to be helpful?
I think it's pretty much install and go.

I started the game with the mod but I didn't like it - it doesn't let you block against monsters. Makes combat a lot more difficult. It also removes the parry/riposte system - I never had a single counter-attack with the mod. As soon as I disabled it, game felt much better to control.

If any game needed a combat rebalance and "big changes" it certainly is the Witcher. I think I might have fallen asleep in the middle of a skirmish a couple times.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If any game needed a combat rebalance and "big changes" it certainly is the Witcher. I think I might have fallen asleep in the middle of a skirmish a couple times.

The first one? Yeah, I kind of hope they'll remake it in REDEngine one day, everything except combat is great in the game. By the end of it, it was pretty much rhythm game + Igni spam

velociraptor

I know a lot of people shit on God of War games for it's combat, but GOW feels a million times better than the Witcher 2 when fighting. The combat in this game feels horrendous. The game could also learn a few things from Dark Souls too.

Chris_C

I think it's pretty much install and go.

I started the game with the mod but I didn't like it - it doesn't let you block against monsters. Makes combat a lot more difficult. It also removes the parry/riposte system - I never had a single counter-attack with the mod. As soon as I disabled it, game felt much better to control.

Thanks for the feedback. I just met the king and am going to kill some folks to get a catapult. I just can't get the hang of equiping items. I feel like an idiot in the menu. Every time I manage to equip or unequip something, it seems to happen by sheer luck.

EDIT: Figured it out, not the most intuitive system!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know a lot of people shit on God of War games for it's combat, but GOW feels a million times better than the Witcher 2 when fighting. The combat in this game feels horrendous. The game could also learn a few things from Dark Souls too.

...they aren't even in the same genre. God of War is ragged on by people comparing it to games that actually are in the same genre.

Momentary

Banned

What in the world is this post?

Why's the mod scene for this game so dead? They released the mod tools back in May, and yet there hasn't really been a significant amount of mods created since then?

Guri

I played through TW2 in both main stories with the 1.1 version and I loved it. I suggest you guys try it.

Sanjay

How does it compare to Ninja Gaiden & Devil May Cry, I've never played God Of War.

velociraptor

...they aren't even in the same genre. God of War is ragged on by people comparing it to games that actually are in the same genre.
God Of War is not an out and out action game like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta. It's an action adventure in a similar sort of vein as the Witcher 2 (minus the obvious RPG elements). You play God of War for the spectacle, not the combat. However, I've never understood the criticisms of GOW's combat. It's not the most deep system, but it's fun. It feels satisfying and the game controls extremely well. Now the Witcher 2 itself seems interesting enough and the story has pulled me in, but everything about the combat is off putting.

How does it compare to Ninja Gaiden & Devil May Cry, I've never played God Of War.
It doesn't compare to those games.

I really didn't like this mod. It makes Geralt feel a bit more responsive, but you still have to hammer the attack button a few times before he actually attacks when he's coming out of a dodge (which you're still doing all the time). It doesn't feel like animation priority, more like the game just isn't registering my inputs; it's pretty bad in the vanilla game and less bad with this mod, but it's still noticeable. I guess it's probably unavoidable without some huge amount of work.

Not being able to do huge crazy rolls just means you end up pirouetting all around the outside of a group and occasionally jumping in for a quick slice or two, which I got sick of before long. The difficulty curve is no longer backwards, but rather all over the place - I think I beat both Letho fights in under ten seconds, but could get destroyed by a group of baby Nekkers. The thing that really disappointed me was that the concept of cool loot is pretty much gone from the game. I used the default armour way into Chapter 2, because there was just nothing better, and I had some no-name sword that was outclassing mystical, legendary ones.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for first-time players, or even second-timers. I was doing Iorveth's path with the mod and I feel like I missed out on a lot of cool stuff.

Sanctuary

God Of War is not an out and out action game like Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta. It's an action adventure in a similar sort of vein as the Witcher 2 (minus the obvious RPG elements). You play God of War for the spectacle, not the combat. However, I've never understood the criticisms of GOW's combat. It's not the most deep system, but it's fun. It feels satisfying and the game controls extremely well. Now the Witcher 2 itself seems interesting enough and the story has pulled me in, but everything about the combat is off putting.

It doesn't compare to those games.

What the hell is the point of these posts? They aren't comparable, because they aren't even the same genre at all. Hey, let's be upset that Lords of Shadow didn't have platforming that could match any of the Mario Games, just because it had a few platforming sections! And hate to break it to you, but the GoW series is nothing at all like TW2 genre wise, and it's in exactly the same genre as Ninja Gaiden. And if you play GoW "for the spectacle", why bother playing at all? The GoW series was Sony's casual version of Devil May Cry (even though the GoW series gets all of the credit for "inventing" that style of gameplay by most mainstream). The game didn't become nothing but spectacle until GoW3. The first two games were actually fun to play and didn't rely on ridiculous exposition.

Riggs

Banned
About to play The Witcher 2 EE with the combat mod, but my question is will the 360 controller be ok with the combat mod? I know how it handles in regular, but I've never tried this mod before. I just want to play on my TV and sit on the couch because I am lazy, or I would use KB/M.

fade_

Nothing but praise and love for these guys. Even if you don't like their games buy one to support their practices!

About to play The Witcher 2 EE with the combat mod, but my question is will the 360 controller be ok with the combat mod? I know how it handles in regular, but I've never tried this mod before. I just want to play on my TV and sit on the couch because I am lazy, or I would use KB/M.

I used the mod with a controller and it worked just like the normal game.

YES! I just started playing the game again. This is awesome. Glad this thread got bumped!

Edit - Did someone say they're re-making The Witcher with the Red Engine as well?

Riggs

Banned
How the hell do I play this?

Holding RT does nothing but activate a quin shield, and its not a shield ... I still get hit. I can't block, no idea how to parry either .... wtf

Please help!

LogicStep

I'm gonna start playing this game, never played much of it so I'm pretty much a noob. Should I install the mod or go without it? Gonna use a 360 pad.

Play with the mod.

I'm play it on hard and damn... it's HARD unless you play it right. One shot kills from most bad guys and there are WAY more of them! Shit!

Which is why I don't like this game very much. Enemies seem to take tons of hits. It feels unfair.

Once you get used to how to play you'll start to get it more. It's not about straight up sword fighting with monsters. Monsters you've got to use hit and run tactics, traps, bombs and spells early on in order to stay alive and when there are more than three enemies around at once - you RUN. YRDEN is the shield magic and comes in extremely handy on the harder difficulties as well.

I love playing it like this, despite the difficulty.

roball

Neo Member
Since I can't create a new thread I decided to pop in here and drop a news that my The Witcher 2 mod was finally published on CDProjekt REDkit page.

The quest takes 30m-1h to complete, and is my first attempt on creating a mod for a game.

You can read about it/download it here:
http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=117

or on my personal website:
http://www.roball.pro

and lastly, if you liked the mod and would like to help me get some visibility.. http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1r7o7g/witcher2_the_island_of_convicts_my_mod_was/

Any critique is welcome :)

Thank you!

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Since I can't create a new thread I decided to pop in here and drop a news that my The Witcher 2 mod was finally published on CDProjekt REDkit page.

The quest takes 30m-1h to complete, and is my first attempt on creating a mod for a game.

You can read about it/download it here:
http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=117

or on my personal website:
http://www.roball.pro

and lastly, if you liked the mod and would like to help me get some visibility.. http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1r7o7g/witcher2_the_island_of_convicts_my_mod_was/

Any critique is welcome :)

Thank you!
hm, I should try it.

may be I'll report back on the weekend.

Arkanius

Vanilla TW2 is still one of my fondest memories in gaming because of how Hard and unforgiving combat was, Dark Souls like.
The game will change a lot now.

What has changed in the game since release by the way? What did Enhanced Edition add?

Sentenza

Vanilla TW2 is still one of my fondest memories in gaming because of how Hard and unforgiving combat was, Dark Souls like.
Uh? No, it wasn't.
Hell, if anything being far too easy regardless of the difficulty setting was one of the biggest flaws in the game.

Dr.Acula

Banned
1.2 should be coming soon. Here's the changelog.

V1.2 changelog:

CORE CHANGES
• By popular request, made Geralt strafe while walking without the need to lock on target.

ENEMIES
• Fixed elite kingslayers not counterattacking.
• Geralt will bounce off draug's and gargoyle's parry.

BALANCE
• Introduced level scaling in order to provide adequate challenge in mid / late game. Enemies scale their health using simple formula:
health = health * ( 1 + playerLevel * healthMult )
Health multiplier can be easily accessed and edited under name enemy_health_mult_* in geralt_basic.xml file.
• Increased adrenaline generation rate.

ECONOMY
• Added missing meteorite ores in shops.
• Added Grapeshot schematic to Cedric in Flotsam, Isidor in Henselt's camp and Earso in Vergen.
• Added Gadwall recipe to Marcus in Henselt's camp.
• Decreased the number of Naeve Seidhe silver swords available in game.

FIXES
• Fixed negative skill points value after playing a tutorial and wrong skill calculation after using skill respec.
• Fixed dragon fire attacks ignoring Quen.
• Fixed Resonating Crystals not working in The Secrets of Loc Muinne quest.
• Fixed Geralt t-posing after casting Quen in fistfight stance.
• Fixed potion overdose full screen effect appearing on cutscenes and dialogues.
• Fixed issues caused by entering cutscene while casting Quen Sign.
• Fixed Geralt not being immortal during finishers.
• Fixed negative effect of White Raffard's decoction not vanishing with Alchemist skill.
• Fixed Deireadh sword not showing correct damage.
• Fixed Thunderbolt potion recipe.
• Fixed Draug Armor and Kingslayer Armor schematics.
• Fixed Wolf potion and Ysgith rune instakill chances (was 0.02%).
• Fixed Summer and Winter DLC skills not being added to Geralt.
• Fixed Roche Commando Jacket item name.

OTHER
• Installer deletes Arena files from previous mod versions. Old files were creating confusion while activating the mod with User Content Manager.

• Introduced level scaling in order to provide adequate challenge in mid / late game. Enemies scale their health using simple formula:
nooooooooooooooo.gif
Why not just generally make them stronger late game?

Which is why I don't like this game very much. Enemies seem to take tons of hits. It feels unfair.

Yea, I wasn't a big fan of the mod for some reason. Most seem to love it so I'm glad the guy did it, but I prefer vanilla for whatever reason. Stick with the game, it's one of those games where the game is brick solid until a chapter is and your picked your first few upgrades and suddenly the game tilts to a much fairer balance between you and the enemies. Not easy mind you, just much fairer. I felt the prologue was nigh undoable on top difficulty without at least a few upgrades. Once you've got em though, should be ok.

EDIT: Dat bump haha, jsut realised I just replied to a month old comment. Duuuuh.

demented

Any chance for a mirror of 1.2? I've downloaded it like 5 times and I always get damaged archive. I tried with winrar and 7zip (newest, never had issues) and it just won't open. It downloads it fully but gives error when I open and try to extract.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
bump!

So is this mod worth installing? Seems impressions are 50/50. I'm planning on doing my second playthrough to see Roche's path and was wondering if it's worth it to install the mod. The changes seem significant.

bump!

So is this mod worth installing? Seems impressions are 50/50. I'm planning on doing my second playthrough to see Roche's path and was wondering if it's worth it to install the mod. The changes seem significant.

I'm wondering the same thing. It'll be my first proper playthrough though. For the original witcher my first playthrough also included the FCB mod and I loved it but I've read quite a few bug reports for this one, any advice?

Top Bottom