• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2 - new incredible screens [Update: Added A Lot More In OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonsito

This is a Witcher 1 screenshot I took years ago, totally ingame, no external settings or photoshop, only resized:

thewitcher.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Acosta said:
It´s pretty sad that the first Witcher, first project of a polish studio made with the skeleton of Aurora, looks beter than Dragon Age 2 at this moment.

Well, the original was a PC exclusive.

JoeBoy101

EviLore said:
http://www.abload.de/img/original5snz.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Thank you, EviLore. You've just killed all desire for me to own this game.

Seriously. I've been replaying Origins and making a bunch of half ass rationalizations. But that shot is brutally amateurish.

And compared to the digital gold that is the new Witcher 2 shots? As said, my old copy of The Witcher looks better and I get to smang more girls in it (freaky deaky ones too) than in any 2 Bioware games.

Dennis

Banned
The Witcher was a resource hog. It lookeed very pretty but damn it was hungry....

This is a new engine etc. but I have to wonder how demanding The Witcher 2 will be. I am guessing it will be hard to max out the game with AA etc.

Mr_Brit

Banned
DennisK4 said:
The Witcher was a resource hog. It lookeed very pretty but damn it was hungry....

This is a new engine etc. but I have to wonder how demanding The Witcher 2 will be. I am guessing it will be hard to max out the game with AA etc.
I doubt it's going to be Crysis/Metro level. An i5 and GTX 460 level CPU/GPU combo should max it out at 1080p/30FPS with a little AA thrown in.

Kenka

Mr_Brit said:
I doubt it's going to be Crysis/Metro level. An i5 and GTX 460 level CPU/GPU combo should max it out at 1080p/30FPS with a little AA thrown in.

For sure. I guess you can expect more out of such config though. I just hope that my modest graphics card and CPU will stand proudly.

koji

Man, everytime you see a DA2 screenshot you just know it's Dragon Age! They really pulled it off!

on topic; dang those screens look good, STILL haven't finished the first one, love the world, read the books, love the writing, HATE THE COMBAT...

raphier

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Well the witcher's problem was bottlenecking engine. It had it's problems. I think with their own engine they can take a better approach with prettier and smoother framerates.

Binabik15

Mr_Zombie said:
I'm speechless. :O

Are those really in-game graphics? Jeez, Dragon Age 2 looks like shit when compared to this beauty.

Those are easily in-game, realtime. Look at Metro 2033 on very high, that looks a lot like this, but with smaller environments (and worse faces :p). Metro even had the disadvantage of having a 360 version.

PC graphics on games were the pc version is the priority are simply off the charts compared to console games. Even a game made by a small team like Risen can have MAXIMUM LIGHTING to produce spectacular results (but still, ugly faces :p).

Edit: Oh, and nice troll, EviLore, DA2 doesn´t look that bad anymore. Bad, but not THAT bad :p

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
For me personally, the original Witcher, and now this, is one of the biggest temptations ever to jump into the world of PC Gaming. Even much more so than Crysis series.

I mean, god DAMN.

Tokubetsu

If you play one game this year, it should be Witcher 2. Real motherfucking talk. CDPR will be dropping knowledge this April.

Enkidu

mrklaw said:
how does it play? turn based, action, direct control? Don't suppose its anything like demons souls is it?

will it be accessible enough for someone not deeply into the genre, just along for the ride?
It's more of an action RPG in terms of combat really. CD Project has also claimed they were inspired by Arkham Asylum so that might give you an idea of what they are going for.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
koji said:
Man, everytime you see a DA2 screenshot you just know it's Dragon Age! They really pulled it off!

on topic; dang those screens look good, STILL haven't finished the first one, love the world, read the books, love the writing, HATE THE COMBAT...

What's wrong with the combat? Works well, imo. Unless you're playing from the isometric point of view, then I can understand the complaints. It's a lot better than most rpg's imo, where all I have to do is click and watch, while using the occasional spell or potion.

Although moving is a bit stiff and unresponsive while in combat. Dodging doesn't always work.

Chesskid1

Banned
I usually never both collecting things in games, but having sex cards is a good motivation for me, got em all in Witcher 1. heh.

my PC chugs on witcher 1 in some parts so i'm f'ed in the a when I try to run witcher 2. I barely game on my PC anymore so not upgradin :sadface.

really hope it scales well.

JoeBoy101

StarEye said:
What's wrong with the combat? Works well, imo. Unless you're playing from the isometric point of view, then I can understand the complaints. It's a lot better than most rpg's imo, where all I have to do is click and watch, while using the occasional spell or potion.

Nah, I know where he's coming from. I love the Witcher, but was put off by the combat. Felt it was very unwieldly and clunky with the whole click-style combos. Kinda poor man's combo between RTS style RPG attacking and action RPG combat. Hearing they've revamped it makes me extremely happy.

JoeBoy101

Binabik15 said:
Okay, you know what? I retract my statement about DA2 being not that bad. It´s THAT bad.

9glc2q.jpg

What the hell.

And you know what's sad. The DA: ORIGINS has separate ribs from the cages, and not ribcube. They've actually made the graphics worse in the sequel than in the first one.

Really think that Bioware wants this to fail because they never wanted to do a sequel, but EA demanded it after the sales.

Micius

JoeBoy101 said:
I smell caption contest. My contribution:

"I will not accept such angular angles within my kingdom!"

"This is what happens when you go multi-platform!"

Edit: Argh, kind of beaten.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Micius said:
"This is what happens when you go multi-platform!"

Edit: Argh, kind of beaten.
Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 are multiplatform and are considered the best looking games in the industry. Going multiplatform is no excuse for bad graphics.

Ugh, I wish devs would stop releasing artwork as "screenshots". *sigh*

I really need a new card for this game *cry*

Micius

Mr_Brit said:
Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 are multiplatform and are considered the best looking games in the industry. Going multiplatform is no excuse for bad graphics.

"This is what happens when you go multi-platform in America!"

Better? :p

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
JoeBoy101 said:
And you know what's sad. The DA: ORIGINS has separate ribs from the cages, and not ribcube. They've actually made the graphics worse in the sequel than in the first one.

Really think that Bioware wants this to fail because they never wanted to do a sequel, but EA demanded it after the sales.
You don't spend years writing a game world backstory to only use it once. They have always known there would be Dragon Age sequels.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
If those are not bullshots then color me impressed.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Binabik15 said:
Okay, you know what? I retract my statement about DA2 being not that bad. It´s THAT bad.

077.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/9glc2q.jpg[/IG]

What the hell.[/QUOTE]

[img]http://www.abjecthubris.com/images/wowcataclysm02.jpg

World of Warcraft...

koji

StarEye said:

Although moving is a bit stiff and unresponsive while in combat. Dodging doesn't always work.

I prefer to play in ISO view but I gave up on that in TW1, I dunno, it just doesn't click for me, there's no weight or sense of impact when you hit something, it all feels flimsy.

Think I've started the game 5 or 6 times already since it was released so that isn't helping either...

JaseC

Finally, DA2 is the game to take the crown from Too Human as the biggest disappointment this generation.

Edit: Clarity.

Binabik15

JoeBoy101 said:

I don´t get this screen. I´ve played DA:O and while it isn´t a stunner, it looks nice.

This looks like the ground textures haven´t loaded and low-res backdrop models were accidentaly put in the foreground.

But hey, I heard your dwarf ally can kick potions at enemies, badass!

Edit: Here are some Metro screens from google

http://h-7.abload.de/img/metro2033-dx11-0202nd.jpg

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/screenshots/original/2010/03/Metro2033-DX11-06.jpg

http://www.gameon.co.uk/files/images/games/m/Metro_2033/standard_Metro_2033_DX11__08.png

Metro with DX11, particles, lighting, blur -> sooogood.gif

Minsc

Gold Member
Sn4ke_911 said:
If these are not bullshots then color me impressed.

CD Projekt wouldn't, no need.

Looking amazing. Can't believe we just have to wait a few more months for this!

I'm still very optimistic about hardware performance this time around, bring on the benches!

2San

Still no matter how trashy DA2 looks. I still think it'll be a better game overall. The Witcher(1) had pretty shallow combat. DA:O was a lot better in the combat department. The game itself was also better optimized. Not to mention quest themselves in DA:O where better as well. I'm still skeptical if CD project RED can deliver a proper product with polish. Don't get me wrong I really like Witcher, the moral choices, the immersion and I liked the characters a lot more.

Salazar

This thread has delivered beautiful screenshots and unexpected humour at Bioware's expense. Thanks ever so much.

JaseC

In what way would these be bullshots, anyway? I can't remember the last time I saw a screenshot of a game that wasn't made up of in-game assets. You could argue the fact the screenshots are obviously downsampled, but the reality is, if you supersample the game, you will get similar or, if you go DEEP ENOUGH, identical results.

Is the IQ of these screenshots what most users will experience? Of course not, but it's achievable if you have the hardware.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Binabik15 said:

077.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/9glc2q.jpg[/IMG

What the hell.[/QUOTE]

[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/zombiesupastar/MW_02.jpg

Morrowind with mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom