• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

seldead

With the modified d3d9.dll posted on the last page? Doesn't work for me.

I ran into the same problem, and in fact have exactly the same card. I found that simply locking my framerate at 30 with msi afterburner and forcing triple buffering gave me the same effect as that .dll file in removing frameskip but of course allowed me to have vsync as well, so give that a try.

Helmholtz

I'm planning on starting a second playthrough in the next couple of days, I booted up the game today after downloading patch 2.1. I was averaging around 15-20 FPS on the auto-detect settings (high). Is this what I should be expecting? I don't remember it being this terrible during my first playthrough. Also, the sound gets really choppy after a bit.

GPU: GTX 260
CPU: i7 860
RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 1920x1080

EDIT: I tried it on low settings. Barely reaching 30 FPS, averaging ~23. This seems odd to me. Shouldn't the decrease from High -> Low settings mean a bigger jump in FPS?
Your GPU is probably a bottleneck. Pretty sure W2 needs something more powerful.

Ryne

So if I want to play this game without stuttering I should download that fix?

W2 is acting weird on my PC. Selecting auto-detect puts the graphics detail on low, and when I move it to ultra or high it starts stuttering. My specs include an i7 2600K, GTX 580, 8 GB ram.

So if I want to play this game without stuttering I should download that fix?

W2 is acting weird on my PC. Selecting auto-detect puts the graphics detail on low, and when I move it to ultra or high it starts stuttering. My specs include an i7 2600K, GTX 580, 8 GB ram.

The auto detect issue may be suggesting a bigger issue but, out of curiosity, did you disable über sampling? I think it's too much, even for a GTX580.

Ryne

The auto detect issue may be suggesting a bigger issue but, out of curiosity, did you disable über sampling? I think it's too much, even for a GTX580.

That was causing my issue. I turned off the sampling and now it runs fine on ultra, thanks :)

I never played the first game but I couldn't ignore the reviews for the second one anymore, it's about time to get started :)

Fezan

So i havent bought this game yet..I know shocking seeing my avatar.
so i have a
6790 1gb
4gb of ram
and q6600 2.4

what kind of setting am i looking at.just want to play at maximum eyecandy at 720p..

Edit yayay no longer a junior :).now i can make my own threads

So i havent bought this game yet..I know shocking seeing my avatar.
so i have a
6790 1gb
4gb of ram
and q6600 2.4

what kind of setting am i looking at.just want to play at maximum eyecandy at 720p..

Edit yayay no longer a junior :).now i can make my own threads

Looking at benchmarks I think you could achieve at least 30 fps. Ever consider overclocking your CPU?

I wouldn't be so sure about it...

I was basing my post on a handful of benchmarks I glanced at. Based on those, at 720p, 30 fps seemed reasonable. I don't have first hand experience with those specs, so I could be wrong. The CPU seems like a possible bottleneck in this case, I guess.

Thrakier

The GPU isn't exactly strong either. It'll be playable but I guess most of the brilliance will be lost. Still looks good though.

RedSwirl

Is it safe to keep playing this game if it runs my GPU temps to 90C? It may have been doing this since the game came out but I'm not sure. I only started hearing increased fan noise a couple months back. Games like MW3 and Skyrim run my GPU to 75 but other games like TW2 run it to 90.

aeolist

Banned
Anyone know how to stop the game from running the .Net 4 installer every time I start it up?

e. nm found the answer on Steam forums

TheExodu5

Banned
Is it safe to keep playing this game if it runs my GPU temps to 90C? It may have been doing this since the game came out but I'm not sure. I only started hearing increased fan noise a couple months back. Games like MW3 and Skyrim run my GPU to 75 but other games like TW2 run it to 90.

90C is okay, but it's pretty much the limit of how hot you want your card to get. If it's increased recently, then make sure your video card fan isn't too dusty. Make sure your case has decent airflow as well.

Now, unless your fan is running at 100% speed, you should still have some breathing room.

What's your video card?

RedSwirl

90C is okay, but it's pretty much the limit of how hot you want your card to get. If it's increased recently, then make sure your video card fan isn't too dusty. Make sure your case has decent airflow as well.

Now, unless your fan is running at 100% speed, you should still have some breathing room.

What's your video card?

HD6850, and that temp is with the fan running at 100% speed. I already went in and did what I could with the fan, dust, and cables. I think the issue is that my particular system (the DELL XPS 420) has poor airflow (it originally came with an 8800GT).

The only reason I have to think that the temps increased recently is because my fan speed for idle mode increased recently until I installed a custom fan setting. For all I know TW2 could have always had this card running at 90C. The fan has always been running at 100% when under load of intense games like this and Crysis, while bouncing around for "normal" games like Skyrim.

I'm seriously considering getting a new system sometime in the middle of this year, but I don't wanna just not play TW2 until then.

Wrain

Neo Member
I'm about to finish "The Witcher" and i'm looking forward to buy the second chapter of this amazing game.
Since i will be playing the next game on my Schenker XMG A501 Notebook (Clevo W150HRM) and since the graphic card (nvidia 555m) is rather poor i'm still undecided on which version of the game to buy (steam, gog, zavvi).

I know that there are a some problems with patches and drm which hit the fps of the game so i'm asking which is the version the best version to buy and if i should take any special care during patching.

TheExodu5

Banned
Started playing some over the weekend on my little 22" monitor at a LAN (during downtime). Thought it looked incredible. Went back to it on my 32" and I can't do it...the IQ is really bothering me. I think I'm going to wait until I can manage Ubersampling. Hopefully the next top end NVidia card can do the trick.

Normally I could let it slide, but the game looks so incredible that the IQ issues seem to hurt it a lot more than most games. Geralt's shimmering hair is really distracting.

I know it's not going to be feasible for a very long time (on reasonable hardware), but I can't wait to see this game running at 1440p with Ubersampling (and hopefully higher res shadow tweaks, if they exist). This game is still going to look fantastic for a very long time...the art assets are going to allow this game to look better and better as hardware gets faster.

Some of the cutscenes in this game just look unreal. The interrogation scene at the start of the game with the girl opening the door and walking in...my jaw dropped. This game looks really good, but at times, the lighting and depth of field just make it look beyond anything else I've ever seen. It's a shame it can't manage that at all times.

Jtrizzy

How up to date is the op? I'm on an i7@4.2 and a 1.5g 580, should I still be messing with the ini settings? I'm downloading the patches now.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I tried asking this on another thread: does anyone know when we can expect the OnLive version of the game? I've been waiting for a really, really long time now. I haven't heard anything on it since it was announced for OnLive 6 months ago... It would be the first game I purchase via the service.

Yasae

Banned
re: CPU. I was playing this with 30-40 FPS or slightly more in most areas with a C2D E6550 @ 2.3GHz. My GPU was a GTX 460 1GB @833MHz.

Don't worry too much about the CPU.

Jtrizzy

Can't get this shit to start to save my life. It's some conflict with .net framework and 2.1. Can I get by playing with just 2.0? I was able to get it to launch by not allowing it to patch, then tried the patch again and no launch. It's a known issue apparently, but I uninstalled Lucid Logiz virtu something something, apparently they cause conflicts as do tool bars, so I uninstalled firefox all together.

Hi guys I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask and I apologize if its not but I'm wondering if I can run this game on my iMac (It's the 2011 27'' model the specs are 4Gb of ram AMD 6770 512mb 2.7ghz I5). What kind of performance should I expect? Would it be better than the upcoming 360 version?

Hi guys I wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask and I apologize if its not but I'm wondering if I can run this game on my iMac (It's the 2011 27'' model the specs are 4Gb of ram AMD 6770 512mb 2.7ghz I5). What kind of performance should I expect? Would it be better than the upcoming 360 version?
IMHO, better wait for the X360 version. The Witcher 2 is very demanding on hardware and I don't think you'll get a solid framerate with that GPU.
Besides, the EE version on X360 looks amazing so why bother with hardware? Just go for the X360 and forget about all the tweaking, etc. and enjoy the game.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Can someone help me with the user.ini file tweaking?
I modify it but nothing seems to change ingame... I can't stand to see the trees and the foliage pop-in when I walk...

Ciastek3214

Can someone help me with the user.ini file tweaking?
I modify it but nothing seems to change ingame... I can't stand to see the trees and the foliage pop-in when I walk...

You must change it to read-only, otherwise game configurator will overwrite your tweaks.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
You must change it to read-only, otherwise game configurator will overwrite your tweaks.

I've done that, it just don't work... It's also slightly different from the one posted here, like there isn't the foliage lod setting... I have to edit the user.ini file in MyDocuments right? Not the PCUber.ini, PCHigh...?

RedSwirl

What settings should I turn down in order to keep my GPU temps down?

Right now I'm running the game on an HD6850 with all settings turned up except ubersampling and bloom. During combat my GPU can get to over 100C with the fan at full blast.

Thrakier

What settings should I turn down in order to keep my GPU temps down?

Right now I'm running the game on an HD6850 with all settings turned up except ubersampling and bloom. During combat my GPU can get to over 100C with the fan at full blast.

Hm, sounds like there is something wrong with the GPU...

RedSwirl

Hm, sounds like there is something wrong with the GPU...

Well I went through its on the main PC thread and the problem is probably that my computer (a Dell XPS 420) just has really poor airflow. The only thing I've really been able to do is get a custom fan profile but that's not working for games like TW2.

Kyaw

I know it might not be the solution you want but you could buy a new case?

Try running with side panels taken off too.

If the fan is running at 100%, there's not much else you can do...

RedSwirl

I know it might not be the solution you want but you could buy a new case?

Try running with side panels taken off too.

If the fan is running at 100%, there's not much else you can do...

Well it's a pre-built Dell system so I don't even know if I can just get a new case. I was seeing if I could get a new system anyway since this one will be five years old this year. We'll see.

The only game that's getting these temps though is TW2. Every other modern PC game I play only get's temps of 75 max.

So I'm trying to play this son of a bitch but I can't get it to patch. I've scoured the internet and found surprisingly little conclusive info and have tried pretty much all of it so I'm turning to you guys. Essentially every time I try to use the patcher it gives me "Installed Game version is incomplete or invalid" error. If I try to just run the game it gives me a "application was unable to start correctly" error. Here are the details:

*Steam version on Windows 7
*Tried downloading manually and using the 0>1.3 patch, 1.3>1.35 patch, & the 1.35>2.0 patch. All give me the same error mentioned above.
*1.35>2.0 patch is the only one that actually attempts to work but gets a critical (Game installation directory was not found) error every time during the finishing installation phase.
*tried running the patches from within the Witcher 2 folder within the Steam folder.
*tried running all patches as admin
*deleted all local content (from Steam & documents folder) and redownloaded multiple times also while running Steam in admin mode.
*I don't have MSE installed at the moment and I tried it with my firewall off and still nothing.

Also, mousing over the Witcher 2 exe shows it's still version 0 even though I'm of the understanding that the Steam version should be at least 1.3 when downloaded.

Any ideas?

So I'm trying to play this son of a bitch but I can't get it to patch. I've scoured the internet and found surprisingly little conclusive info and have tried pretty much all of it so I'm turning to you guys. Essentially every time I try to use the patcher it gives me "Installed Game version is incomplete or invalid" error. If I try to just run the game it gives me a "application was unable to start correctly" error. Here are the details:

*Steam version on Windows 7
*Tried downloading manually and using the 0>1.3 patch, 1.3>1.35 patch, & the 1.35>2.0 patch. All give me the same error mentioned above.
*1.35>2.0 patch is the only one that actually attempts to work but gets a critical (Game installation directory was not found) error every time during the finishing installation phase.
*tried running the patches from within the Witcher 2 folder within the Steam folder.
*tried running all patches as admin
*deleted all local content (from Steam & documents folder) and redownloaded multiple times also while running Steam in admin mode.
*I don't have MSE installed at the moment and I tried it with my firewall off and still nothing.

Also, mousing over the Witcher 2 exe shows it's still version 0 even though I'm of the understanding that the Steam version should be at least 1.3 when downloaded.

Any ideas?

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/26150-patch-21-issues/

It may have something to do with the .Net framework 4.0.

I'm very interested in trying to run The Witcher 2 on my current setup, but not sure if it will. I wouldn't be trying to max the game out, but wondering if it would run.

Current setup:
C2D E7500 @ 2.9GHz
3GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GTS 240

Does the game also properly support game pads like the 360 controller which I have the controller and wireless receiver? I didn't want to get another 360 so was hoping I could run this off my setup even though I know I need to upgrade this system.

Mulligan

Banned
So i bought Witcher 2 today. Installed it fine but whenever i try to launch the game the witcher emblem appears on my screen for about 3-5seconds and then i'm taken back to the launch menu..

anyone know what's up?

mileS

So after upgrading my drivers I'm finding I still have this strange light source issue. This isn't the one that people used to have before, like big blobs of light going through walls and big solid objects. This is like the bottom floor of that first bar.. the candles and stuff on the tables, the lighting fades right through the table and its super super bright under each of them. Its really distracting to me. Like a single candle will fade through the entire table and light the floor under it. annnnnnd it's impossible to find a fix or search for this with that other light source issue.

I'm very interested in trying to run The Witcher 2 on my current setup, but not sure if it will. I wouldn't be trying to max the game out, but wondering if it would run.

Current setup:
C2D E7500 @ 2.9GHz
3GB DDR2 RAM
GeForce GTS 240

Does the game also properly support game pads like the 360 controller which I have the controller and wireless receiver? I didn't want to get another 360 so was hoping I could run this off my setup even though I know I need to upgrade this system.

Yes. Plays wonderfully with a 360 pad.

Thanks. Will I be able to run this on my setup even at Medium settings till I can get a new system or replace the video card?

Low-medium, yeah. I suggest playing it on a high end system ASAP... it is glorious. But don't fret, the game is made for multiple replays AND the Enhanced Edition comes out next month for PC I believe... free of charge.

Mulligan

Banned
So i bought Witcher 2 today. Installed it fine but whenever i try to launch the game the witcher emblem appears on my screen for about 3-5seconds and then i'm taken back to the launch menu..

anyone know what's up?

anyone? i looked on the internet and others seem to have experienced the same, yet there is no solution. i want to play :(

Top Bottom