• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

No I haven't done any overclocking. I've never felt the need to do so and I don't trust myself to successfully OC without murdering my PC.

It's pretty easy and relatively safe. I would suggest giving it a try sometime to get significantly more out of your CPU but obviously don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing.

It's pretty easy and relatively safe. I would suggest giving it a try sometime to get significantly more out of your CPU but obviously don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing.

I've certainly been considering it and I may do so in the near future as I have been reading that both the 580 and the 2600k overclock quite well without going into crazy danger zones.

Aeana

EE runs about the same for me, but my GPU temperature is about 10C hotter than before. I don't know if it's the game's fault or not, though, although I haven't moved or changed anything since last time I played the game.

I really wish I'd gone ahead and gotten a new CPU like I was going to, but I decided to wait until the next round came out since no other games except this one really limit me because of my current one. :\

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any 2500k should OC to 4.5ghz at minimum. I got mine to 4.8.

Eh, not true. I cant get mine past 4.3Ghz without pumping a ludicrous amount of voltage into the CPU just to make it stable. It's the luck of the draw in the CPU, the MBO and the PSU.

Granted, I got the bottom end of the scale. 4.2/4.3Ghz is about as unlucky as you'll get. Most are able to hit the 4.5Ghz point fairly easily.

Eusis

Mine has an auto OC tool, I might be able to get higher with manual tweaking but the one attempt got me blue screened and I didn't want to waste much more time there. However, I've mostly gone un-OCed with the CPU purely because I don't think I'd get enough out of it right now. Maybe later on if I'm feeling more of a pinch I'll do it, I future-proofed with the Hyper 212+ heatsink, but that'll probably come with a next gen video card or something.

As for my 560 Ti: got one pre-OCed, at 900 MHz I believe, so not much point bothering with that given it's a stock heatsink rather than something like a TwinFrozr.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Eh, not true. I cant get mine past 4.3Ghz without pumping a ludicrous amount of voltage into the CPU just to make it stable. It's the luck of the draw in the CPU, the MBO and the PSU.

Granted, I got the bottom end of the scale. 4.2/4.3Ghz is about as unlucky as you'll get. Most are able to hit the 4.5Ghz point fairly easily.

You must have got a bad one. Are you using stock cooling? I'm using the Hyper one from the PC build thread. 4.5 without any voltage changes. Any more and I need to feed it more vcore.

I'm only at 4.2 but I'm a noob with this stuff, someone else set it up for me at stable levels and I don't want to mess with it. Plus I'm bottle necked by my GPU atm, I dont think its worth exceeding that.

If you leave the blk alone and just set the MP to 45, you should need no other voltage tweaks other than maybe an offset of .20 or so.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You must have got a bad one. Are you using stock cooling? I'm using the Hyper one from the PC build thread. 4.5 without any voltage changes. Any more and I need to feed it more vcore.

Nope, after market cooler and a good one. I definitely got a bit of a dud. Temps are fine, but stability most definitely is not.

But I also had some issues trying to OC my GPU, so it could be my MBO or PSU.

I used the Medium/Performance settings from this thread (4850) but I find it odd that it turns certain GPU intensive settings on high and some CPU things disabled...these are like the opposite settings I would use for my rig. Texture Memory size was also set on Very Small when I ran it High a few days ago with no problems.

Just letting you guys know, seems a bit glitched.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
*yaaaaawn*

Anyone else getting random black screens every few seconds or so ?

edit : some more clarification, the game "dies" goes to black my gpu stops and then it starts again with blurry textures that are then loaded in and everything is back to normal for a couple of seconds and then it happens again...

*yaaaaawn*

edit : some more clarification, the game "dies" goes to black my gpu stops and then it starts again with blurry textures that are then loaded in and everything is back to normal for a couple of seconds and then it happens again...

Is the driver crashing? Anything in the event log?

Desaan

*yaaaaawn*

I've had another look around and it seems you're not alone with that issue. It appears to be a number of things, ranging from crossfire to drivers or overclocking. The black screen thing I believe is the drivers failing to communicate with the GPU, a kind of out of range thing it can't display what it's supposed to. I think ATI/NVIDIA drivers have something like 2 seconds to respond to commands before application crash dump starts. Which I guess would explain the flickering and the blurry textures are probably from the re-initiated drivers dumping a alot of textures into the memory at once.

You've probably already tried most things but the only solutions appear to be

1. Stock GPU/CPU settings
2. Older GPU drivers
3. Disable Crossfire

Clearly there is something in EE code that isn't playing well with some configs.

(Here is another guy with a similar(?) problem) http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33989046

I'd reinstall and just wait for the inevitable patch :p

Jomjom

Banned
I hope someone here can help me.

I just finished updating to the EE for my GoG version of the game. Every time I quit the game now, I get this popup that says "The Witcher 2 has stopped working". It's more of an annoyance than anything else, but I really hate having to close that window every time I quit the game.

Tokubetsu

Uh, why did they take out picking your save slot manually? I'm gonna have a giant folder full of saves now...twice over.

EDIT: Yea, from my previous playthrough, my save folder is already 3.51 gig...

Anyone figure out how to increase the font size for the UI in the EE?

You used to be able to go in and manually edit it with FontCreator but now the changes wont save. File you would edit was here:

...\GOG.com\The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition\CookedPC\globals\gui\fonts

"bll55.otf"

Basically they didn't carry over the couch friendly UI from the 360 version (along with the revised controls, grrrr) and I have a bitch of a time making anything out.

Nope, after market cooler and a good one. I definitely got a bit of a dud. Temps are fine, but stability most definitely is not.

But I also had some issues trying to OC my GPU, so it could be my MBO or PSU.

Yes, I have exactly the same, no worries, you are not the only one. Even with a good cooler I can only overclock to 4.3 Ghz. Ah well.

Corky

Is the driver crashing? Anything in the event log?

Nope error or event log prompt.

I've had another look around and it seems you're not alone with that issue. It appears to be a number of things, ranging from crossfire to drivers or overclocking. The black screen thing I believe is the drivers failing to communicate with the GPU, a kind of out of range thing it can't display what it's supposed to. I think ATI/NVIDIA drivers have something like 2 seconds to respond to commands before application crash dump starts. Which I guess would explain the flickering and the blurry textures are probably from the re-initiated drivers dumping a alot of textures into the memory at once.

You've probably already tried most things but the only solutions appear to be

1. Stock GPU/CPU settings
2. Older GPU drivers
3. Disable Crossfire

Clearly there is something in EE code that isn't playing well with some configs.

(Here is another guy with a similar(?) problem) http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33989046

I'd reinstall and just wait for the inevitable patch :p

Thanks a lot for your help :), have a last effort thing to try ( using a higher voltage and stock clock settings on the gpu ) other than that I'll just have to wait for a patch. Reinstalling the game now.

Holy shit, what did CDProject due to the PC EE!?

Textures are constantly loading in now and after awhile loading in general starts to slow to a crawl (memory leak?) ...like 30 seconds loading inbetween entering/exiting a building

tauke

Textures are constantly loading in now and after awhile loading in general starts to slow to a crawl (memory leak?) ...like 30 seconds loading inbetween entering/exiting a building

It didn't happened to me with the launch version but the texture loading is not as long as yours in the Enhanced Edition.

Mine is around 3-5 seconds but it is really noticeable when loading a new section. I set mine to High settings for texture with 512MB VRAM.

Corky

Thanks a lot for your help :), have a last effort thing to try ( using a higher voltage and stock clock settings on the gpu ) other than that I'll just have to wait for a patch. Reinstalling the game now.

Nnnnnnope! Still crashed :)! thanks CDPR, this EE really enhanced the shit out of this game. Is it possible for me to somehow roll back to vanilla?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I just bought the EE and vow that I will play the game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm hoping there have been improvements made to the game since I tried the original launch version.

How is the EE running for people (framerate wise)?

How large are the actual files for this game? I've been having to delete stuff on my steam account to make room to download and install the Enhanced Edition from gog.

I had the full game and 2.0 patch installed already, I downloaded about a 17gb package or something last night, and now it needs an additional 17gb to install? What is going on?!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

I've had ground textures coming up to waist level in the tutorial and the first area of the game. I can't be the only one with this issue. On the plus side, I'm running the game with 4xSSAA and staying above 60fps 95% of the time.

Desaan

Nnnnnnope! Still crashed :)! thanks CDPR, this EE really enhanced the shit out of this game. Is it possible for me to somehow roll back to vanilla?

Awww :(

I guess you might be able to install vanilla, register your cd key and cancel any attempted patching process. Then you could manually grab the pre EE patches from their site.

Edit for clarity: Move the EE install to another drive/partition and install vanilla where EE isn't present.

Exuro

Yeah I decided to try out the Arena and some of the textures didn't even want to load completely. I don't remember it being this bad.

ss_lemonade

Apparently, not all CPUs behave the same. To reach 4.5, I need to pump out at least 1.3 - 1.32v

So I just bought the EE and vow that I will play the game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm hoping there have been improvements made to the game since I tried the original launch version.

How is the EE running for people (framerate wise)?

Pretty much the same for my Asus

I played through this on launch day fine.

I thought i'd play through the EE. Now my GFX card over heats and shuts down constantly. I played this 12 hours running at launch :(

The fan temp reaches upto 100c even on lowest settings.

Alienware M15X w/ Radeon HD 5850.

Narag

How large are the actual files for this game? I've been having to delete stuff on my steam account to make room to download and install the Enhanced Edition from gog.

I had the full game and 2.0 patch installed already, I downloaded about a 17gb package or something last night, and now it needs an additional 17gb to install? What is going on?!

That's an issue with Steam iirc. It won't replace files in an archive but the archive itself from what I remember.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
How many .bin files does this thing have to download? My connection keeps cutting out and I hope it isn't going back to the start every time.

hlhbk

I don't see anything on the main page for this. I am seeing shadow/texture pop in like less than 5 feet from me. Here is my user.ini file, is there any way to get way better draw distances?

[Rendering]
AllowAntialias=1
AllowBloom=0
AllowBlur=1
AllowCutsceneDOF=0
AllowDOF=0
AllowDecals=1.0
AllowMotionBlur=1
AllowRain=1
AllowSSAO=1
AllowScatterDOF=0
AllowShafts=1
AllowSharpen=1
AllowVignette=1
AspectRatio=3
AtlasTextureDownscale=0
DanglesLimiter=0
DetailTextureDownscale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=10
Fullscreen=1
MaxAtlasTextureSize=4096
MaxCubeShadowCount=3
MaxCubeShadowSize=2048
MaxSpotShadowCount=3
MaxSpotShadowSize=2048
MaxTextureSize=2048
MeshDistanceScale=10
ShadowQuality=3
ShadowedLights=3
TextureDownscale=0
TextureMemoryBudget=1024
UberSampling=0
VSync=0

Bear

I'm getting the EE patch error (pack0.dzip). I downloaded Pack 1 and 2, but where the hell am I supposed to put them? I can't find the patch download directory anywhere.

Bear

Defaults to C:/Downloads

Thanks. I had no idea that C:/Downloads wasn't the same folder as User/Downloads, which is where all my browser downloads default to.

I'm still getting the pack0.dzip error though. Anyone know what to do if manually adding the two patches doesn't work?

Varna

That is TERRIBLE! Why are people raving about the tech and graphics? Popping in 5 feet away from you is something to expect 10 years ago, not now!

Great screenshot technology.

I actually didn't notice it all that much on my first game. Once I started my second and I initially noticed it... I couldn't stop focusing on it. This game has really terrible pop-in for just about everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2ce...DvjVQa1PpcFPWteNHIzaS6qZJ2GpVxS7tpInem0Kh_M8=

Even stupid little things like that. :/

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I played through this on launch day fine.

I thought i'd play through the EE. Now my GFX card over heats and shuts down constantly. I played this 12 hours running at launch :(

The fan temp reaches upto 100c even on lowest settings.

Alienware M15X w/ Radeon HD 5850.

Launch day, a year ago? Have you cleaned out your fans since then, or recently?

Top Bottom