• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Citizen K

Just started this game. I was getting a bit of mouse lag so I have disabled vsync and changed the mouse smoothness to 0 in the ini. However I still get quite a lot of mouse lag in the alchemy menu. Any fix for this?

How would I have the game point to the new location?

Also, dumb question, but I assume it would be best to have it saved in the same drive as the game itself?

The game will point to the normal location but you should just delete or move a bunch of old saves to new location. This will decrease the number of saves the game lists in the load menu. Keep the saves you want to have easy access to in where they are, delete or move the old ones you don't see yourself using.

It really doesn't matter if the saves are on the same drive but it would, theoretically, be a tiny bit faster if he saves were on a separate drive. It's not something that would be in anyway noticeable.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I've completed the game on the Xbox, I really enjoyed the game, a really solid Xbox release.

I plan to do a dark mode run next time, and take the other path, I can't wait to see everything from the other perspective. I really wish the was more scenes with Letho I thought he was a great character.

Edit: sorry I thought this was the OT thread heh

Xyber

Wow, I just did a comparison between sharpen on and off. Crazy how bad the game looks here with it on.

ibp7mCfRmY7cY7.png

iR6r2oepAEs7O.png

Just started this game. I was getting a bit of mouse lag so I have disabled vsync and changed the mouse smoothness to 0 in the ini. However I still get quite a lot of mouse lag in the alchemy menu. Any fix for this?
Is it just the alchemy menu? It's always felt a little delayed for me in every instance that the mouse icon appears in the game.

Wow, what a difference. I just purchased this on Steam & the GTX 680 will be in Tuesday. One of the first things I'm doing is turning it off, plus bloom and gameplay DOF.

Think of all the people that played this and didn't know about the .ini settings. So these options aren't anywhere in the graphics menu? That's weird.

When you installed the patch, did you get an error by any chance? I believe a couple people had similar issues because they chose to ignore the error instead of abort the install. There are 2 files from the patch that were corrupted but the files are available for download manually.

bengraven

Damn, had no clue this thread would be so helpful. Saw my card in the list of .ini tweaks, just copy and pasted and I went up like 20fps. I'm getting 60 in busy areas at times.

Thanks Neogaf!

When you installed the patch, did you get an error by any chance? I believe a couple people had similar issues because they chose to ignore the error instead of abort the install. There are 2 files from the patch that were corrupted but the files are available for download manually.

Yes actually, running the patch again caused an error, so I replaced the corrupted file and it seems to be getting through without any errors. Thanks!

Check the steam forums, one of the threads shows you how to see your serial key and then you can skip the registration.

Steam release doesn't have a key. Only if you registered it on steam do you have a key. I checked my registry and there was nothing :(

I'll check again in case there was an update

masterkajo

Has anyone claimed their free copy on GOG via the Steam activation !@#$%^&*? It says it takes upto 72 hours and it's gone over :(

I did as soon as it was available. I had no key in my registry so I sent them an inquiry with my steam name (so they could go to check out steamcommunity.com/id/<mysteamprofilename>) and my gog.com email adress (to which a new key was sent). Worked like a charm. Took them about 2 days to replay to me.

I did as soon as it was available. I had no key in my registry so I sent them an inquiry with my steam name (so they could go to check out steamcommunity.com/id/<mysteamprofilename>) and my gog.com email adress (to which a new key was sent). Worked like a charm. Took them about 2 days to replay to me.

Good to know. I've emailed them directly now as I'm guessing the form didn't work. Thanks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If it were for anything else I'd hate it, but I'm shamefully a sucker for the sharpening effect in TW2 :<.

goodfella

If it were for anything else I'd hate it, but I'm shamefully a sucker for the sharpening effect in TW2 :<.

Yeah, it makes such a difference artistically, I'd think the over sharpening is a conscious decision. I like it, and associate it with the look of the game.

It is also is the reason everyone raves about the texture quality so much.

Xyber

wiggleb0t

Banned
My eyes must be broke. I can't see a difference.

I find the difference huge.. Look at the rocks, the stone wall & his clothes. The s2nd picture seems to highlight all the nuances in the textures where as the 1st pic looks like it has a clear layer of clay smeared over those objects making it appear less sharp.

wiggleb0t

Banned
You are crazy man, it looks horrible.
I reckon it makes the details really 'pop', the clothes for example really illustrate that. Comes down to personal preference though.

The sharpening effect doesn't gel well with the ground foilage though, the grass looks a little ewwww and highlights the rigidity in the 'grass strands'

I prefer the 2nd picture too. Is it automatically on?
It's enabled by default and can only be turned off by altering the ini and setting sharpen=0

Xyber

I reckon it makes the details really 'pop', the clothes for example really illustrate that. Comes down to personal preference though.

Sure it might help details pop, but when I get to areas like the one in the screenshot it looks absolutely horrible in the game. It's not too bad in that image, but when you get there and you talk to Triss it looks like someone applied the sharpening filter in photoshop like 10 times.

A lot of textures in the game are really flat looking and even blurry sometimes, so sharpening makes it look a little better at the expense of other things not looking as good. I swear they made the effect a lot stronger though, I don't remember it being that bad when the game came out.

Here's a pic from the launch version, sharpening on. Might even be the same place:

92589fa9cc8415b83c474de39ca7e2e0474b091e.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Yup, for instance the rocks above look better, but the foliage and people in general just look better with it off.

They generally look fine to me (and for the borderline ones the clothing and armor looks so much better with the sharpening added):

And some bonus scenic ones while we're at it:

I just enjoy the style of the visuals with the extra sharpening, I guess. Diablo 3 is another game where I prefer sharpening filters (though to be fair, it looks like they stuck a poor blur filter on D3), I guess I would feel isometric games in general would benefit from sharpening, TW2 for some reason I also enjoy.

Complistic

Im actually using sharpening again. I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. It is nice having all the options though. The only thing I really think should be disabled is bloom. It's nice in some areas but it's just way overdone.

- J - D -

As someone new to TW2, reading the last few pages of this thread and that EE OT gave me some whiplash. It seemed like everyone was universally against sharpening, but now everybody loves it? lol

I just turned it off from the start, like bloom, because gaffers recommended it. Now, I'm just going to turn bloom and sharpening back on to see how it looks.

wiggleb0t

Banned
As someone new to TW2, reading the last few pages of this thread and that EE OT gave me some whiplash. It seemed like everyone was universally against sharpening, but now everybody loves it? lol

I just turned it off from the start, like bloom, because gaffers recommended it. Now, I'm just going to turn bloom and sharpening back on to see how it looks.

As mentioned above it's all down to personal preference, no point 'rolling with the crowd' as you're the one playing it so whatever you prefer is the way to go.

The on and off pic Xyber posted above should give you an idea of which you prefer.
Personally I really like it.

- J - D -

As mentioned above it's all down to personal preference, no point 'rolling with the crowd' as you're the one playing it so whatever you prefer is the way to go.

The on and off pic Xyber posted above should give you an idea of which you prefer.
Personally I really like it.

True, but people were talking about how it makes the shadow dithering look worse, so I just switched it off immediately. I only really started playing yesterday. The pics posted do look nice, but it's a give-n-take. The faces do look bad, but the armor is so nice. Guess there's no way to force a reduction in the amount of sharpening rather than just on/off? Maybe instead of the SMAA injector, the in-game FXAA blur would help in this regard? Or would it just be a wash.

Complistic

imo what the sharpening does to the textures > the slightly increased dither. But I can understand if someone feels the other way as well.

here's my TW2 EE performance if anyone's interested:

rig:

Asus P5B Deluxe – Wi-Fi/AP, BIOS v1238
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 @ 3.2GHz
8GB DDR2 Kingmax
Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB DiRT3 Edition

1680x1050

RedEngine config:

mU7QU.png

Just played through the prologue (LV castle) with Fraps. Hold 60 for most of the time but never drops below 35. When the scenery's crowded (lots of soliders) it drops to around 40-ish but I noticed that drop gets bigger when there's big LOD scenery (like if those mountains are in your field of view).

Overall I'm very satisfied how my, now fairly old, rig handles this monster. Of course, the GPU helped a lot. I bought it specifically for TW2. That poor old 8800GT never stood a chance. The game was unplayable (~10fps).

edit: btw, is it safe to delete that folder where EE patch was downloaded? to be precise ,this:

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
The grass spawning in Act 2 it's just horrible.
Given that the game normally use just 600mb of vRAM, I'd preferred that they made the engine use more vRAM (like, a full GB) to avoid the stupid streaming...

The grass spawning in Act 2 it's just horrible.
Given that the game normally use just 600mb of vRAM, I'd preferred that they made the engine use more vRAM (like, a full GB) to avoid the stupid streaming...

source? I find this particularly disturbing since my GPU has 2GB of VRAM.

TronLight

source? I find this particularly disturbing since my GPU has 2GB of VRAM.

The user.ini file, even with the higher setting under "memory budget", the max amount of ram for the texture is 600mb.
You can modify the value, I have 1280mb of RAM so I've set 850mb, but the pop-up and the loading are still there... I tried to raise the drawing distance but nothing... This is the only flaw of the graphics in this game... This and absence of anisotropic filter and the shadow dithering.

- J - D -

Oh, so raising the max texture budget line in the ini does nothing. Sucks.

You can force anisotropic filtering through, right? Through the drivers or nvidia inspector?

TronLight

Oh, so raising the max texture budget line in the ini does nothing. Sucks.

You can force anisotropic filtering through, right? Through the drivers or nvidia inspector?
Forcings thing by the driver just doesn't work (engine incompatibilities as far as I know), with nVidia inspector it worked for a bit, then it stopped, and I don't know why lol.

stuminus3

Banned

When it comes to PC gaming, don't ever, ever ever do what somebody else says without knowing for sure it's something you really want to do. You'll probably find that 90% of people who recommend you do something only do so because the last guy said it.

Top Bottom