• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 – Fans Claim ‘Downgrade-ation’ Is In Full Effect After Latest Trailer

Fbh

Mabye they were showing the console version?

I guess time will tell

It's certainly not going to look as good as the early screens they showed , but rarely we see anything does. Also i don't believe we're going to see difference between PC and Console like one with Witcher 2 , but still i think final maxed out PC version will look decent.Since its console/PC release i don't expect anything mindblowing like Witcher 2 was.

Why?

The Witcher 2 (some time later), Battlefield 3 (and 4), Metro Last Light, Crysis 3, etc

A lot of the best looking Pc games out there were also released on last gen consoles and that didn't keep them from looking amazing on PC.

RulkezX

This is getting tiresome.

If you can't tell the difference between a game running on a beastly Pc and current gen console footage them the problem lies with the viewer.

We are a year into this gen, it was fucking obvious that we were never getting visuals anywhere near those gifs on a PS4 / X1.

Same applies to those whinning about the U4 visuals.

Lol at posters saying who gives a shit.

Yeah let's just take downgrades and like them. Smart.

Without knowing what was running those Gifs and what the latest footage was running on, calling "downgrade" is stupid.

If anyone saw those gifs way back and expected that to be X1 or PS4 footage them they're likely beyond helping and are in for a really long generation.

Yet the game still looks great. More or less this was the console version shown in the trailer from the looks of it. PC version will deliver, CDPR always do.

erawsd

Yeah, I'm not sure it's going to live up to that anymore. The first worrying signs were the snow/wolf shots that came out earlier this year, mixed with the bish verified insider claiming a rocky development.

Someone in the other thread pointed out something interesting: All of these poor textures issues keep showing up in the snow environment. Makes you wonder if its something the engine is struggling with... why they would continue to highlight it? no clue.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
All marketing material is optional. If it's causing you distress, simply don't engage with it. If you already know about the game, the marketing has done its job and you can go merrily on your way.

Want to know the best way to gauge quality? Wait until release. You'll be better informed and preorders have zero value in the age of digital releases and next day shipping.

Outrage over trailer and screenshots could well be the least well directed use of your mental effort possible.

If I didn't buy any game that had graphical downgrades from the reveal trailers to release, I would play maybe 4 games a year.

No thanks. I'll take a "downgraded" experience any day over a game that runs like crap and looks incredible. Sacrifices must be made somewhere.

Furyous

I 100 percent understand the outrage. However, there's no way I'll notice this in real-time or care to find out personally. I thought it was common knowledge that games tend to have a different quality than trailers. PC player that has access to all the tech and runs this game in 4K with different texture packs and all sorts of fancy add-ons my PS4 dreams of is fine to complain. Was the outrage this crazy a decade ago?

How in the shit am I going to notice this on a PS4? Do I have to stop the game pause it, connect it to my computer and analyze frames? Help me, people. I want to be mad but I can't for some strange reason.

^^ All this is my personal opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt because I'm more than well aware that this is a deal to some of you.

Yoda

We already have a thread about this? The shader complexity is definitely reduced in the last trailer in comparison to others. Other than that there aren't any changes in texture quality/model quality. Note: I do notice the extremely strange wild-hunter but that looks more like a glitch/ftl as opposed to a texture resolution downgrade.

Vizzeh

Banned
We've got it already. Entire thread created for it. :)

Ahh :) - Downloading now, found the link.

Fair play to CDPR though for providing this raw footage, decent response from them.

Hopefully as some have sugested that there will be a nvidia showcase if it is a noticable Downgrade or PC, on consoles perhaps they had to go with the lowest performer.

Someone in the other thread pointed out something interesting: All of these poor textures issues keep showing up in the snow environment. Makes you wonder if its something the engine is struggling with... why they would continue to highlight it? no clue.

I wonder what it is with snow shaders (if that's the issue) that causes strain, I remember performance taking a massive dip in OG Crysis due to the snow effects, curious if that's the case here.

i-Lo

I speculate two possibilities:

• It's the console version
  • Not all parts of the game have identical polish

Nabbis

If I didn't buy any game that had graphical downgrades from the reveal trailers to release, I would play maybe 4 games a year.

No thanks. I'll take a "downgraded" experience any day over a game that runs like crap and looks incredible. Sacrifices must be made somewhere.

Consoles, sure. PC, fuck no. There is no need for a sacrifice on a PC version. Nevertheless, defending this trend is one of the most stupid things you can do as a consumer.

Momentary

Banned
The PC version will deliver. I feel like they showing lower end footage on purpose as to not cause a shit storm later down the road. They really could remedy all this by showing the game at max with a little disclosure on the bottom saying "PC footage shown" so as not to piss consumers off on whatever platform they end up getting the game on. I'm sure they were asked not to do so by certain parties.

But I'm dead serious

In the grand scheme of things, even in the context of just this one game, why does a supposed downgrade matter? So a couple textures look worse, maybe the shading had to take a hit

Who gives a shit

Your saying people who think the issue is overblown are dumb? If devs have to downgrade it is out of necessity, it's not like graphics are horrible, games look great this gen. It is bring overblown.

Momentary

Banned
I 100 percent understand the outrage. However, there's no way I'll notice this in real-time or care to find out personally. I thought it was common knowledge that games tend to have a different quality than trailers. PC player that has access to all the tech and runs this game in 4K with different texture packs and all sorts of fancy add-ons my PS4 dreams of is fine to complain. Was the outrage this crazy a decade ago?

How in the shit am I going to notice this on a PS4? Do I have to stop the game pause it, connect it to my computer and analyze frames? Help me, people. I want to be mad but I can't for some strange reason.

^^ All this is my personal opinion and should be taken with a grain of salt because I'm more than well aware that this is a deal to some of you.

Man, I play on a GTX 560m and I notice every frame of shitness that comes on my screen. And I sit 20 feet away from a 27" monitor.

Verder

The Witcher 2 looked fantastic on both pc and Xbox 360.

If it looks just as good or better , I'm happy.

Gamers need to grow up and stop complaining about every detail. The workload to make a game of the scale it claims to be is a lot of time. It just sucks when putting a product out with all your energy to only be shot down by people that don't seem to want to enjoy what it's really meant for. The story.
Thanks CDprojekt

UrbanRats

What are you gonna do? Give them extra HW power to use or what? If they can't keep a decent framerate, they downgrade, it's that simple.

The only important element is that they be honest with their up to date promotional material and don't pull a Dark Souls 2 or GTAV.

My god, some people are impossible to please. People have to realize that things change in development and not everything is gonna be "10/10 best graphics ever OMG". Kinda childish to NOT expect these changes at this point.

UrbanRats

I'm surprised by the responses.

Ubisoft didn't got the same kind treatment over the watchdogs downgrade.

Doesn't matter who does it (though yeah Ubi and EA are particularly hated in the hardcore community i guess) but if you're upfront with showing the new graphics, it's not your fault, and people need to get a grip.

Not deliberately show unreasonable target renders would always be a better idea though.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm so happy I don't care about the graphics. Game could look like Witcher 1 and I would enjoy it if it's good.

Akhe

To be fair

who gives a shit

giphy.gif

RulkezX

I'm surprised by the responses.

Ubisoft didn't got the same kind treatment over the watchdogs downgrade.

Apples meet Oranges. I'm more than confident W3 will look like those Gifs on the appropriate hardware.

And WatchDogs still sold a huge amount of games, people don't care, even here on GAF.

Grinchy

Banned
I think everyone should be frustrated by downgrades. When someone who wants to sell a product lies to you about what the product is, that's something worth getting upset about.

I wish we'd stop getting fake reveals of all these games.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Honest question: Does having a slightly worse texture on an NPC's sleeve have any real, discernable effect on how you guys play the game?

I just don't understand why people care about nitpicky stuff like this. If it looked like a previous gen game I could see the controversy, but a current gen game going from spectacular to slightly-less spectacular makes absolutely no difference to me.

More power to you if you'd rather focus on minor crap like this, I will be playing the game and nitpicking things like mission design, gameplay and narrative.
Agreed. If the downgrade is truly massive it's one thing, I can understand being disappointed, but the nitpicky stuff like this... I just can't understand.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think everyone should be frustrated by downgrades. When someone who wants to sell a product lies to you about what the product is, that's something worth getting upset about.

Let me introduce you to marketing.
Not that you are wrong though

Momentary

Banned
My god, some people are impossible to please. People have to realize that things change in development and not everything is gonna be "10/10 best graphics ever OMG". Kinda childish to NOT expect these changes at this point.

No it's not. I paid money months ago to buy this game based on the presentation that was given before me. It's not childish to speak out on something that a person feels that they have been cheated on. This would be like the Corvette Z06 being advertised with 650hp and then after getting payments to start building that persons car, they turn around and say, "Hey man we felt like this just wasn't gonna fly, we bumped it down to 600hp." I would raise hell.

RulkezX

Devs need to be upfront about what footage is running on, that's all. I'd be amazed if the initial footage and the latest footage are running on the same hardware.

hemtae

With it being CD Projekt Red and the promise of modding tools, I'm not worried about the game at all.

Momentary

Banned
Agreed. If the downgrade is truly massive it's one thing, I can understand being disappointed, but the nitpicky stuff like this... I just can't understand.

Where's the fur and smoke physics? This isn't about just textures. If this is just toned down footage for consoles then they need to come out and say so.

Vizzeh

Banned
Just watched that uncompressed trailer, that looks superb clarity and quality even if it were a PC game, I suspect it is a console version though, even if the version shown dressed with some PC AA Magic I doubt it will be that far away from what was originally shown.

My hype has actually gone up for the game seeing it uncompressed.

Top Bottom