• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: 1080p/30fps on PS4, 900p/30fps on Xbox One

KKRT00

To add to that, I thought one of the key benfinits to DX12 was lower level access. Don't both the Xbox One and PS4 already benifit from that?

He was talking about GPU being fed by CPU. Basically he just said that if You are GPU limited DX 12 wont make much of a difference, which is true and already seen not only in DX11, but also in Mantle.
But generally thats not that accurate in the long run of any lower level API. DX12 gives much more control over rendering pipeline, which can enable new techniques [async compute is one example, using msaa hardware for other stuff is other].
Also it helps with CPU parallelization limitations, which maybe wont help now, because we are GPU limited, but can help in future, especially for VR that requires high framerate and CPU bottleneck in DX11 could limit that, even on lower settings.

Daingurse

Nice, they got PS4 to 1080p. I remember Shinobi's rumor that PS4 might have been 900p, which for an open world game of this scope and detail, would not have surprised me.

Ascenion

Eh, still getting it on X1. Hopefully they'll do that thing sledgehammer did with Advanced Warfare if at all possible. Otherwise the resolution thing is dead to me. I'm happy if they do, happy if they don't. Haaaaapppppppyyyyyy!

CoG

Lemme predict the DF analysis.

"While the PS4 version boasts a resolution advantage of 633k more pixels onscreen with its 1080p resolution vs. 900p on the Xbox One, our analysis shows that framerates drop to 29fps at times on the inventory screen where on the Xbox One they remain at a steady 30fps. In summation, if you are looking for a higher resolution go with the PS4 version. If framerate stability is important to you, the Xbox One version is what you want. Either way, you can't go wrong with either version of this game."

Mabufu

Banned
True, but doesn't the PS4 already use an ultra low level access custom API? I believe it's referred to as the GNM API.

PS4 uses it's own API, yes, but I dont know too much about it.

What I do know is that MS is busy giving DX12 a lot of marketing and people is aware of it, meanwhile Sony keeps quiet about API improvements.

Flappy

Banned
If these guys can get this open-world game up to 900p on XBO, then Konami have no excuse for MGS running at 720p. Unless Fox Engine really is that unfriendly.

Chobel

He was talking about GPU being fed by CPU. Basically he just said that if You are GPU limited DX 12 wont make much of a difference, which is true and already seen not only in DX11, but also in Mantle.
But generally thats not that accurate in the long run. DX12 gives much more control over rendering pipeline, which can enable new techniques [async compute is one example, using msaa hardware for other stuff is other].
Also it helps with CPU parallelization limitations, which maybe wont help now, because we are GPU limited, but can help in future, especially for VR that requires high framerate and CPU bottleneck in DX11 could limit that, even on lower settings.

Using msaa hardware for other stuff like what? Genuinely asking here, I'm interested in knowing its other applications.

Lucifon

The game is gorgeous, for sure, and PC gamers whose rigs satisfy the hefty requirements will get the best CD Projekt Red has to offer. No doubt. Whatever the platform, the game is going to look good.

The Xbox One version does show how the team is pushing the console pretty hard, though. I had a lot of texture pop-in during my time with the game. It wasn’t enough to detract from the experience, but it was noticeable. The framerate chugged a few times as well. This was most apparent, interestingly, during a few cutscenes. I didn’t notice it during combat nearly as much.

With that said, the team has an extra three months to work on the game, and Microsoft has been updating their devkit with new ways for developers to squeeze a few more cycles out of their hardware. I’m remaining optimistic that we’ll see this in the final product. I’ve reached out to CD Projekt Red to inquire about how some of the more recent changes to the Xbox One by Microsoft might be improving the experience.

On the PC side, things ran smooth as butter and everything was beautiful. The powerful PCs running the game allowed for better textures and effects all over the place. Scars have more depth, fires burn like you’d expect. If you have a PC, it’s definitely the place to play, whether you use the mouse and keyboard or your dual analog controller of choice.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/01/26/we-played-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-heres-what-we-think/

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Great news. This is one of the games I thought wouldn't make 1080p on PS4 and was wondering if even 900p would be difficult for XBO to hit. It bodes really well for future large scale open world games this gen as well.

Phamit

30 FPS or "30" FPS, is the question. How was the 360 Version of The witcher 2?

In terms of a scale + graphics combination this probably the biggest game on current gen consoles so far and I think every open World games had dips below 30 so far

ISee

The OP mentions PS4 texture resolution being close to High settings on PC, not that the PS4 version is close to High settings in other areas too. I really doubt the PS4 version will look even close to the PC version on High.

Actually the article mentions the game looking better on PC (high settings) then on PS4. They mention a better AA option resulting in an overall sharper presentation and improved shader and gloss effects (waxed leather armor reflects the sun on PC but not on XONE/PS4) and a better pop in distance on PC (Clumbs of grass pop in at around 5-7m on PS4/XONE and 10-14m on PC).

They also mentioned that they were running the game on a gtx 980 and were not allowed to crank up the game to ultra settings because the 'highest setting' is still under optimization, but the devs expect the 980 to run the game fine on ultra settings in the end.

Daingurse

If these guys can get this open-world game up to 900p on XBO, then Konami have no excuse for MGS running at 720p. Unless Fox Engine really is that unfriendly.

It's not the same game! It's not the same content!

3RpWA.jpg

Lol, I'm not going to assume anything about why the Fox Engine struggles on the XB1. Maybe it just seems to have issues with that hardware, at 60fps.

STEaMkb

"While the PS4 version boasts a resolution advantage of 633k more pixels onscreen with its 1080p resolution vs. 900p on the Xbox One, our analysis shows that framerates drop to 29fps at times on the inventory screen where on the Xbox One they remain at a steady 30fps. In summation, if you are looking for a higher resolution go with the PS4 version. If framerate stability is important to you, the Xbox One version is what you want. Either way, you can't go wrong with either version of this game."

Have you got a link to the full article?

AndyD

aka andydumi
That isn't what they said if you read the article:

That's where the biggest difference will be between PC and consoles, draw distance, popin, shaders, aa and af. 1080/30 is solid enough, but if its full of popin then blergh.

Kezen

Banned
Absolutely, and that is definitely exciting. Just as it is to see how the Xbox One benifits from it. Personally I think PC GPU's have been underutilised, and things like Mantle, DX12 etc definitely seem to be making moves to try and improve on that. Just a shame that DX12 will be exclusive to Windows 10.

This "underutilization" is a necessary consequence of not having to write a code for each architecture they plan on supporting. Besides, we should aim to give a more robust definition of "underutilized", PC GPUs have been kept busy for a very long while but the rendering tech underneath has not been scaled to their level, it's easy to understand why : economically it makes little sense and the API ceiling is too low anyway.

DX12 will not mean current and future GPUs will have the entire technological pipeline tailored to them like it's done with consoles, obviously budget is not always extensible but what it will allow is to make much more with them. Think about new SLI modes for example, more advanced voxel-based GI, better AO etc...Nvidia Gameworks already has a DX12 layer which is said to be more efficient but also more difficult/tricky and error prone. With more straightforward access to the hardware comes greater responsability.

Multiplatform games will still target consoles primarily because of their fixed nature but it will be easier to capable devs to scale up for PC, but not less expensive. If IHVs do not get involved in the financial sense nothing will evolve.

c0de

How so?

A faster gpu improves visuals in every PC game I've ever owned, unless of course its the source engine which chooses to gobble up my entire cpu instead.

You expect, only based on pure numbers, that there is always this “performance bonus“ available but it is software that makes hardware fly and these numbers, while true, exist in a complex system where hardware is dependant on other hardware and/or resources.
Thing is, it's most probably not always available and therefore you won't see it every time.

Duxxy3

He just said he doesnt care. Resolution isnt everything you know

If I still had both consoles I would probably get this on the PS4. It's not a racing game or an FPS (I strongly prefer the XB1 controller in those genre's), so I would just get the best version.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Haven't they got some more time to optimise all version before release?

dugdug

Banned

Haha, nice. It does feel like a copy/paste job at this point, though, I guess that isn't really their fault.

With the way the devs were talking, I expected there to be parity between the two versions with both at 900p, so that's a surprise.

That's just a bit too on-point for my liking.

viveks86

Was expecting 900 PS4 and 720 bone. So this is good news overall. Wonder how it compares to the trailers in term of effects

Top Bottom