• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2014, PC/NextGen): Game Informer March 2013 [Updated OP]

Hypron

Better yet, ask a Troll if he can push the buggy across the river. Catch is he wants to be paid in sex, so you'll need to ask or demand one of the hookers has sex with the troll. The tragic journey will then continue.

Actually there's another catch: the troll is a female and wants YOU.

Actually there's another catch: the troll is a female and wants YOU.

Cliche, it has already been done by Uther in Merlin, idea must be discarded.

Merlin_2x06.jpg

Zinthar

I disagree with this point. I thought they sacrificed a lot of the narrative from the original one as well as the more subtle choice/consequences...Hopefully they bring that back.

Really? I always would check the wiki after playing a chapter (in both games) and see what occurred because of my choices and felt that the Witcher 2 was even better about this than 1 because they dealt with longer branches of choices than they had tried in the first. There were many instances of 'depending on whether you did X vs. Y at choice 1, plus A vs. B at choice 2, then one of, say, four results would occur'.

Unless I misread your comment and mean that you didn't like how the Witcher 2 was more obvious about the effects of choices, which I would agree with, but I think that's a good thing because there were many more instances of parts of the game playing out differently and world states being visibly different depending on your choices.

Ceebs

I disagree with this point. I thought they sacrificed a lot of the narrative from the original one as well as the more subtle choice/consequences...Hopefully they bring that back.

What I missed from the first game was the low key pace of the story. The Witcher 2 felt like a summer action movie by comparison.

One of my absolute favorite things about the first game was the 2nd act's detective story. The moment when you do the autopsy and crack the case if you had the right information was an amazing feeling. The sequel never really had anything close to that.

Chrysalis

19:00 CET

i.e. 1 PM EST

Damn...my coworkers are not going to know what happened to me.

What I missed from the first game was the low key pace of the story. The Witcher 2 felt like a summer action movie by comparison.

One of my absolute favorite things about the first game was the 2nd act's detective story. The moment when you do the autopsy and crack the case if you had the right information was an amazing feeling. The sequel never really had anything close to that.

I agree. Some things the first game actually did better. Combat as well. If you played on hard, the swamps were a really fun challenge.

the only thing preventing me from liking witcher games is the combat. when i try to block/roll i should be able to do it, and do it with good response time, instead of hearing an empty fart sound effect. i understand the stamina mechanic, but its just not effective without a better targeting system.

anyways, i definitely await more media on this. going open world sounds very interesting. did the gameinformer article come with in game screens?

Ceebs

They totally need to bring back the way potions worked in the first game. I liked to be able to chug something when needed as long as I had prepared it instead of needing to anticipate what was about to happen.

It may fit the fiction better, but it hurt the gameplay.

Complistic

Did he say it's the end of the trilogy or am I hearing things?

Last I knew they didn't have any idea how many games they wanted to make.

DocSeuss

Well I'd expect there to be some anyway since they're bringing back more traditional monster slaying quests. With a better balanced and actually good combat system those wouldn't be so bad as the fights would be engaging.

I just don't want 10 hours of deliver the loaf of bread to the inn for 20 gold. Those have no place in video games.

But they did say that the monster quests, at least, would be their own thing, rather than notice board stuff, which tells me they're deliberately moving in a better direction.

They also called them 100 hours of hand-crafted quests. Coming from anyone else, I'd laugh. From CD Projekt? INTERESTED AS FUCK, MOTHERFUCKER

Foffy

Banned
Did he say it's the end of the trilogy or am I hearing things?

Last I knew they didn't have any idea how many games they wanted to make.

I believe it was planned to be a trilogy for quite a while. I don't know if it was a fan that coined the term but while the novels were called the Blood of the Elves saga, the games seem to be the Wild Hunt saga. I think if any more would be made, it would probably have a new goal and antagonist as the centerpiece. I'm happy with their being a conclusion, but I do feel sadness that this series of games may be coming to an end.

Really? I always would check the wiki after playing a chapter (in both games) and see what occurred because of my choices and felt that the Witcher 2 was even better about this than 1 because they dealt with longer branches of choices than they had tried in the first. There were many instances of 'depending on whether you did X vs. Y at choice 1, plus A vs. B at choice 2, then one of, say, four results would occur'.

Unless I misread your comment and mean that you didn't like how the Witcher 2 was more obvious about the effects of choices, which I would agree with, but I think that's a good thing because there were many more instances of parts of the game playing out differently and world states being visibly different depending on your choices.

I was talking about the latter...Witcher 2 made it obvious that things would branch at this point whereas in the original Witcher it was a bit more subtle with even the smallest of choices making a difference down the line...(the one example that pops out of my mind being in Act I where if you
let the Scoi'tael take the weapons, the informant in Act II is murdered at the bar.
The other thing I failed to mention is that the original Witcher had a way more satisfying conclusion...The whole
Alvin/Jacques de Aldersberg thing was just really memorable in making you recount all the little meaningless conversations you had with Alvin without outright stating it

This too...There was a good RPG pace to it which gave you a more complete picture of being a Witcher (Act IV was an amazing change of pace at the perfect time) whereas in the Witcher 2, it felt like you were on tilt the whole time.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well I'd expect there to be some anyway since they're bringing back more traditional monster slaying quests. With a better balanced and actually good combat system those wouldn't be so bad as the fights would be engaging.

I just don't want 10 hours of deliver the loaf of bread to the inn for 20 gold. Those have no place in video games.

What if its magic bread?

If CD Red can give me TW3 with the size and density of Skyrim with the combat of TW2 the storytelling of TW2/obsidian rpg

Holy shit this game alone will force me to get a launch next gen console.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Massive open world.

Combat rework addressing TW2's shortcomings.

No enemy scaling.

Content tying into the game world and main storyline with dynamic consequences based on participation and outcome but remaining optional to completion of the game.

Beard.

trainspotting.jpg

Fjordson

Man, the idea of a next-gen Witcher game has me excited =D

And open-world to boot. Awesome!

edit: just noticed Geralt's beard also. Bad ass.

friday

I am so pumped for this. This sounds like the open world game we have been waiting for. All signs point to yes. Have they mentioned any kind of release timeline yet?

Sidebar: Game Informer has the greatest covers ever. I dont know how good their content is, but their art direction is amazing.

Pretty cool.

Kind of early to ask this, but when do you think this game would release? If it's a few years later, it may be a good time to pick up a next-gen console, assuming it'll be more affordable by then for me.

Witcher 3 is the type of game I'd buy a console for.

Lingitiz

Pretty cool.

Kind of early to ask this, but when do you think this game would release? If it's a few years later, it may be a good time to pick up a next-gen console, assuming it'll be more affordable by then for me.

Witcher 3 is the type of game I'd buy a console for.

2014. They'll still be full price by the time this hits.

Chrysalis

I wonder what the PC Specs bump will look like from W2 to W3. I built a new machine for Witcher 2. Would be funny if W3 is what causes me to upgrade again.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what the PC Specs bump will look like from W2 to W3. I built a new machine for Witcher 2. Would be funny if W3 is what causes me to upgrade again.

Well currently it's not really that different looking so I imagine VRAM would be the main concern.

That said they haven't put in the new renderer which could change a lot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What... holy... the fuck?

Wow! I didn't even know we were due for a Witcher 3 announcement.

Open world, too? If they can retain even close to the amount of detail they had in The Witcher 2, it's going to be a real treat to explore.

Man, I can't wait. This is the best video game news in a long time.

Top Bottom