• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Skii

Man this DLC is awesome!

I think I'm near the end now.
I'm currently attempting to complete the third wish and have just entered the painted world. These missions are just insane. First they have me possessed and attend a properly fleshed out wedding, then they have me commit a heist and now I've somehow stumbled into a painted world.

The abundancy of boss fights is beautiful. I'm loving it. They aren't hard by any means but they are at least slightly more challenging than the usual encounters. I particularly enjoyed facing The Caretaker as that was an exercise in learning the opposition's movements perfectly.
This quest in particular is giving me a Dark Souls/Bloodborne vibe.

Credit to CDPR. Can't believe how enjoyable and real this game feels.

Sai

I've never played a Witcher game. How hard is Death March supposed to be?
It's only rough in the beginning; evens out a bit in the middle, then becomes stupid easy in the latter portions of the game.

Try sticking with Death March. The difficulty balancing was broken all around, but I still kinda regretted not starting out with it the first time around.

The Lorn of Undvik is by far the worst mission I've played since starting this game, the waypoints on this island are especially atrocious, and the environment is so basic its impossible to tell when your going in the right direction, i've resorted to watching videos to try and complete this mess.

Sai

Uh... Never got lost on Undvik myself.

How big is the patch on PS4? I have 16 gig's of free space and it says that I don't have enough room.
It was just short of 18GB. I had to clear out some space too.

I'm thinking about getting a bigger internal HDD, but there's not a whole lot of games I'm looking forward to in the future to justify the extra expense.

I watched videos of the mission and found people complaining about the same poor waypoint system on this mission so I'm glad I'm not alone.

Investigation missions are tedious in this game anyway, and it's used so often, the controls and camera makes is so you need several attempting just to get the camera right to 'examine' something, then you just listen to Geralt drone about it to himself until the next objective highlights.

X-Frame

It's only rough in the beginning; evens out a bit in the middle, then becomes stupid easy in the latter portions of the game.

Try sticking with Death March. The difficulty balancing was broken all around, but I still kinda regretted not starting out with it the first time around.

I really don't like when this happens in games. I can't say how to fix it or help prevent it off the top of my head as I don't play many SP games, but Mass Effect 2 and 3 for example I could start instantly at the highest difficulty without any problem. But here and even DA:I I couldn't and had to start lower.

Skii

The Lorn of Undvik is by far the worst mission I've played since starting this game, the waypoints on this island are especially atrocious, and the environment is so basic its impossible to tell when your going in the right direction, i've resorted to watching videos to try and complete this mess.

Wow, you needed videos to complete a mission. That's amazing. Didn't even know it was possible for anyone to get lost in this game. Every mission is ridiculously straight forward.

BumRush

Question: what's the best way to uncover side quests? I'm in Velen but only have 1-2 quests (and a couple of ridiculously OP monster contracts) outside of the main story. I'd rather dick around for a while because the side content is phenomenal.

Sai

Wow, you needed videos to complete a mission. That's amazing. Didn't even know it was possible for anyone to get lost in this game. Every mission is ridiculously straight forward.
Don't be mean about it. :/

I am wondering where he got turned around though. Was it after finding the camp Hjalmar and his men set? The cave while following Hjalmar's trail?

Question: what's the best way to uncover side quests? I'm in Velen but only have 1-2 quests (and a couple of ridiculously OP monster contracts) outside of the main story. I'd rather dick around for a while because the side content is phenomenal.
Reading notice boards to reveal more villages and points of interest to check out, and general exploration.

It's a large, vibrant world. Get lost in it for a bit.

Lender

Either turn on undiscovered quests (or something in that regard) in the menu, or go exploring and look at the notice boards. :)

Follow the main story and pick up side-quests along the way. A lot of the great side content ties in with the main story anyway.

Sai

Yeah, I guess secondary quests do pop up more along the main questline.

You don't have to tackle all of them right away, of course, but it's easy to get distracted.

So, question, figured this was the best place to ask.

I really want to get into this game and given how inexpensive it is on PSN and the accolades its receiving I'm very tempted to bite but...my question is how much will enjoy this game if I completely ignore the romance options?

No want (orientation wise...) to have sex with women and I want to know how much that specific aspect of his character factors into the game lol

Flipyap

So, question, figured this was the best place to ask.

I really want to get into this game and given how inexpensive it is on PSN and the accolades its receiving I'm very tempted to bite but...my question is how much will enjoy this game if I completely ignore the romance options?

No want (orientation wise...) to have sex with women and I want to know how much that specific aspect of his character factors into the game lol
It should be a complete non-issue. You might have to endure one awkward dinner date and some moping about past relationships, but otherwise "romance" subplots hardly figure into the story and you couldn't make it the focus of the game even if you wanted to.

You should look up some videos..happens all the time! The waypoints absolutely need work in this game, I remember the garden with the werewolf giving me trouble too because the stairs blended in the environment too well, so it's definitely not that straight forward.

K, I'll start with it. Thanks.

You should look up some videos..happens all the time! The waypoints absolutely need work in this game, I remember the garden with the werewolf giving me trouble too because the stairs blended in the environment too well, so it's definitely not that straight forward.

Lord of Undvik was one of my favorite quests, and I didn't personally have waypoint issues there, but that damn werewolf and the garden can fuck right off. Small spaces, iffy ladders, goddamn narrow waterways, levers sometimes working, waypoints that went nowhere . . . even with the alternate control scheme, I peaced right out of there after
Jen and I mind assaulted that dead guy.
I'm waiting for the day when I finally get a quest failed already.

Lord of Undvik was one of my favorite quests, and I didn't personally have waypoint issues there, but that damn werewolf and the garden can fuck right off. Small spaces, iffy ladders, goddamn narrow waterways, levers sometimes working, waypoints that went nowhere . . . even with the alternate control scheme, I peaced right out of there after
Same here, there was a little bit of indecision and backtracking on the Lord of Undvik quest, but that fit in perfectly with the story
with respect to Hjalmar's party separating
. Loved that quest, such an amazing atmosphere.

The werewolf in the garden one though... I was well and truly lost and walking in circles for ages with that one. That was the only time I got frustrated in the entire game.

Lender

Same, the garden was the only place which got me disoriented. The fight with the werewolf itself wasn't really that hard Imo. All the quests in Skellige were great.

Lender

Happy that I've decided to try and read the books. I'm only halfway through the first book, but I've already had so much backstory. I'm now reading (what I think, not that far ahead just yet) the backstory of how Geralt 'received' Ciri from Var Emreis.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

yeah, same here. Loved that quest. Very well done.

My only problem with that quest is that I have a very hard time believing that one Giant could have stopped Skellige warriors for so long. If they really wanted Undvik back they should have been able to overwhelm the giant without too much trouble since Geralt was able to do it.

Also, it would have been awesome if they had started to open up Undvik and have towns with merchants once you stop the giant.

aku:jiki

Oh, man, I had forgotten about that POS quest. Didn't it even have a gamebreaking bug at first? Pretty sure it did. If you did something out of order that would break the main questline and you had to revert to an earlier save.

Selective memory at play for me there, didn't think this game had any truly awful parts to it but that one would be it.

Happy that I've decided to try and read the books. I'm only halfway through the first book, but I've already had so much backstory. I'm now reading (what I think, not that far ahead just yet) the backstory of how Geralt 'received' Ciri from Var Emreis.
Huh? Ciri doesn't show up until the second book...

Haunted

Honestly, that portion had probably the weakest level design in the whole game.

They tried to make a bit of a mini-Zelda dungeon, but that's just not the kind of game Witcher 3 is.

I think there's a collection of short stories that some consider to be the first "book", she is mentioned there iirc.

Lender

Oh, man, I had forgotten about that POS quest. Didn't it even have a gamebreaking bug at first? Pretty sure it did. If you did something out of order that would break the main questline and you had to revert to an earlier save.

Selective memory at play for me there, didn't think this game had any truly awful parts to it but that one would be it.

No, but this should be the event that ultimately causes
Emhyr to give his first born daughter up to Geralt.

I'm not sure since haven't read any further, but it feels like this event.

Although princess Pavetta was to be wed when she was fifteen years old, Duny visited her one year before, and they secretly fell in love. When the following year, the queen gave a party for Pavetta's birthday, he appeared at the feast and announced that from her birth, the princess had belonged to him, and that he had now come for her.

After Pavetta confirmed her wish to be with him, an uproar erupted. In the ensuing fight, Geralt saved Duny's life, and later, because of this Duny promised to give up his own child to be trained as a witcher.

This is from The Last Wish btw.

Skii

I really don't think any of the waypoints need reworking for missions anyway. I found navigating in Souls/Bloodborne a lot harder (which is part of the fun) so I'm guess TW3 in comparison is a non-issue for me. I guess I can see the werewolf mission being a bit harder to navigate but wouldn't ask for the entire waypoint system to be reworked because of it.

Luxorek

New patch fixed, among other issues, the Wild Rose Dethorned achievement. Previously even if you got rid of all the knights in all eight camps it wouldn't drop. I can confirm it works now, got it couple of minutes ago on Galaxy.

Unfortunately, you will have to reload a previous save where there is still at least one camp left.

X-Frame

I attempted the Missing Brothers contract at level 23 even though the suggested level is 33/34, and I had an EPIC battle taking down
Harrisi

The experience really captured The Witcher for me, as it took ALL my planning, skills, signs, and potions to bring this monster down. Preparing for the battle based on the clues given to me throughout the cave was a sublime and immersive experience.

To mirror this, I was on Skellige as a Level 24 and randomly bumped into a contract monster
Morvudd
, who was a monster Level
, however despite being quite a few levels below I really wanted to kill that thing.

I guess once I engaged the monster I gained its Beastiary file, and I originally got smacked around, so afterwards I took time to plan and make sure I stacked as many oils and bombs and decoctions as I could and re-engaged the monster. It was a challenging fight and it felt great to take it down.

I guess this is the allure of playing on the highest difficulty.

Now that I'm in Skellige and just helped Cerys
become Queen.
I just don't want to leave. It's atmosphere is so enjoyable to be a part of, it's almost like Skyrim evolved. I still have plenty left to explore and do around the islands so I'm looking forward to that. Yet I am bummed every time I need to go back to the continent.

daripad

So, I finally got to
Skellige
. I really want to know how much of the main game I have left before it ends. I'm at
the point where I go with Yennefer to find a mask

OMG I thought I would be able to tackle it before school began and start MGSV but it seems that it will be impossible. I think I'll give the game a bit of a rest.

Thank you :)

Yeahhh, that's not happening. You're less than halfway through I'd say, but it depends on how many side quests you've been doing/plan to do.

I really don't think any of the waypoints need reworking for missions anyway. I found navigating in Souls/Bloodborne a lot harder (which is part of the fun) so I'm guess TW3 in comparison is a non-issue for me. I guess I can see the werewolf mission being a bit harder to navigate but wouldn't ask for the entire waypoint system to be reworked because of it.
I'm the opposite, even without a waypoint I found the level design in Blodborne always funneled you in the right direction, the only time I got lost was breaking the window to fight Ebrietas.

I still think TW3 needs a second look at the system (though it's not that problematic to be a major priority) I also remember the waypoint system directing me the king of beggars via an entrance that wasn't even accessible.
Yeahhh, that's not happening. You're less than halfway through I'd say, but it depends on how many side quests you've been doing/plan to do.
I'm at a similar point and I'm glad it's not close to over, I'm loving this.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just beat the game, whew what an amazing experience :D

Bought the season pass right after beating the game, first time I've done so for any game :O

Got the ending where...
Ciri fakes her death and becomes a Witcher, and then Nilfgaard takes the north and reinstates Temeria

I was disappointed that...
They didn't show what happened with any of the sorceresses, especially considering how integral of a part they played in the game. I took the manwhore route(though I wanted to choose Triss, Yen just kept pushing herself onto Geralt, so I showed her a good time :p) so I ended up with neither Triss nor Yen and the ending didn't show what happened with either.

Also, the last Crone that ran away, I wanted to kill her. Don't think a game has made me hate an enemy more than this game did with the Crones.

All in all, this is easily one of the best games I've ever played. Can't wait to play the expansions(going to play them both at once when Blood and Wine is out), hopefully they tie up some of the loose ends.

And although both ladies are amazing... #TeamTriss 4 life! Yen is a bit too much of a control freak and bossy for my liking.

I'm glad I played both of the prior games as well, otherwise I wouldn't have cared as much about the returning characters like Vesemir, Vernon Roche, Triss or Dandelion and Zoltan etc.

X-Frame

I find it funny that I can seemingly meditate anywhere.

In the middle of a shopping district in Novigrad? Directly in front of a band playing music? No problem, meditated for 6 hours.

Denzar

Hey guys. I'm about to start the sidequest in which
Dijkstra/Van Reuven
asks you to help
assassinate Radovid
. Any other sidequests I should do before beginning this one? Want to fail as few quests as possible.

I did the one where
Radovid
asked me to search out
Phillipa Eilhart
I finished the quest but it resulted in not finding her. I reported back to Radovid with the chipped stone
. Any more quests after that one from him?

Thanks!

hydruxo

Just beat the game, whew what an amazing experience :D

Bought the season pass right after beating the game, first time I've done so for any game :O

Got the ending where...
Ciri fakes her death and becomes a Witcher, and then Nilfgaard takes the north and reinstates Temeria

I was disappointed that...
They didn't show what happened with any of the sorceresses, especially considering how integral of a part they played in the game. I took the manwhore route(though I wanted to choose Triss, Yen just kept pushing herself onto Geralt, so I showed her a good time :p) so I ended up with neither Triss nor Yen and the ending didn't show what happened with either.

Also, the last Crone that ran away, I wanted to kill her. Don't think a game has made me hate an enemy more than this game did with the Crones.

All in all, this is easily one of the best games I've ever played. Can't wait to play the expansions(going to play them both at once when Blood and Wine is out), hopefully they tie up some of the loose ends.

And although both ladies are amazing... #TeamTriss 4 life! Yen is a bit too much of a control freak and bossy for my liking.

I'm glad I played both of the prior games as well, otherwise I wouldn't have cared as much about the returning characters like Vesemir, Vernon Roche, Triss or Dandelion and Zoltan etc.

Lemme know if you're still #TeamTriss after you meet Shani in Hearts of Stone though

:)

Bluenoser

Has anyone noticed a change to Gwent, which seems to make it either a lower FPS, or very choppy? It's nauseating to play now, and feels so clunky compared to before. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it definitely feels sluggish.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Lemme know if you're still #TeamTriss after you meet Shani in Hearts of Stone though

:)

If Shani's like how she was in the first game, then I'll still be #TeamTriss ;)

I chose Triss over Shani in the first game as well, although I like Triss a lot more in TW2 and TW3 than I did in the first game.

I'm warming up to Yennefer though, especially with that amazing romance theme. I think the game really sways you towards ending up with her.

Lender

Seriously, are all my dijkstra related quest broken or what? I'm doing NG+, and decided to do the
triss torturing moment different, by allowing it. I get the location for the vault from menge, but fail to get Dandelion's location. No harm no foul I thought since you free dandelion either way, and this way I do get to tell dijkstra where his treasure is. Only thing is, yet again it seems like the game isn't registering what I've done. Triss finds the key to the vault on menge, but Geralt says that it's not going to be enough. Seriously? Menge just told me everything I needed to know!

Now I go to Dijkstra, and off course, Geralt doesn't know the location again, while I did get the information from menge. So Dijkstra knows nothing and won't help me anymore. This makes me fear that my previous bug with the 'A deadly plot' sidequest will be corrupted once more. Aaarghh

*edit* Tried it another time, this time he did mention the
location in the conversation with Dijkstra. Weird

Seriously, how morally hard is that quest? ALl the bones in my body were telling me to kill those sob's. When They started torturing triss, I couldn't handle it. I was actually clenching my fist the same way as Geralt was doing. So tough, and I felt so bad afterwards...

Denzar

Hey guys. I'm about to start the sidequest in which
Dijkstra/Van Reuven
asks you to help
assassinate Radovid
. Any other sidequests I should do before beginning this one? Want to fail as few quests as possible.

I did the one where
Radovid
asked me to search out
Phillipa Eilhart
I finished the quest but it resulted in not finding her. I reported back to Radovid with the chipped stone
. Any more quests after that one from him?

Thanks!

Could somebody answer please? Don't mean to be pushy, but I'd like to know so I can continue my game.

Top Bottom