• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Ugh... I just crafted all the Ursine Enhanced Armor thinking I was level 25... turns out I'm level 24, and now I'm naked considering I sold/dismantled my other armor sets.

Time to reload a previous save I guess.

Good choice, ursine armor is the best. Keep in mind that the highest level one is like level 34 though so be careful there haha.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
How should I approach the DLC for this?

I played about a third of the game around launch, but then put it down for whatever reason... now I'm just going to start over. But now there's all this DLC stuff. Are these made for end game (the missions I'm referring to, not the expansions)?

And when do you play the expansions?

Does the Gwent card pack break the card game, cause I loooove that aspect. Don't want to spoil it. Honestly this dlc is annoying. They don't tell you anything about how or where it fits.

And I really don't want a bunch of high lvl quests cluttering up my log. That thing is a mess as-is.

I played about a third of the game around launch, but then put it down for whatever reason... now I'm just going to start over. But now there's all this DLC stuff. Are these made for end game (the missions I'm referring to, not the expansions)?

Does the Gwent card pack break the card game, cause I loooove that aspect. Don't want to spoil it. Honestly this dlc is annoying. They don't tell you anything about how or where it fits.

And I really don't want a bunch of high lvl quests cluttering up my log. That thing is a mess as-is.
The free DLC missions should be played during your main game play through and will work the same as every other mission in the game in terms of how you come across them. You don't need to do anything different.

There's only one expansion out yet, it's called Hearts of Stone and has its own OT here. It's very late game content: you can play it before completing the main game, but it's probably best to play it after you've finished the main game.

Davide

After finishing the main quest I was amazed today to find out there's an entire section of Novigrad I never explored north of St. Gregory's Bridge with the eternal fire temple.

X-Frame

After finishing the main quest I was amazed today to find out there's an entire section of Novigrad I never explored north of St. Gregory's Bridge with the eternal fire temple.

The first time I went up there myself was to get some Witcher gear. Otherwise yeah, I don't think there is anything quest related that takes us up there, at least until the point I am at in the game (which is only about 50% I think).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Huh?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Are there any mods that will give you more mutagen slots?

Already completed the game on PS4 and Xbox One and want to overpower myself like crazy once I get the PC version.

I just started this up yesterday. I waited a long time to start this game just because of how big it is. I played the Witcher 2 twice.

I'm about 5 hours in now
about to go see the Baron

The good for me:
Looks fantastic and runs smooth on PC
The Characters + Voice acting is top notch
Story seems interesting and there's a lot of nice little stores going on too, not just random quests

The bad for me:
Roach + travel in general. I just wish I could fast travel when I want to fast travel.
Crafting + Alchemy. Early on I needed to craft a potion, problem is, I had no idea where to find the ingredients. I decided to come back after doing another story quest and when I did find the stuff I had failed the previous quest.
The Combat. It feels very cumbersome like Witcher 2. I think the idea of preparing before a big hunt or fight is a neat idea, but I don't like it in practice.

I understand a lot of the bad for me is stuff people enjoy about the game. I think there's room for improvement in the systems.

Overall, I'm luke warm on the game, if the combat was better I think I would like it more. Right now, the most enjoyment for me comes from the next story beat.

I'm also playing on the easiest difficulty setting. Yes, I just want to experience the story :)

Lender

There is a mod on nexus allowing fast travel anywhere.

I had the same thing when it came to options and stuff, but it gets better while playing the game. I don't really use them a lot though

hydruxo

I just started this up yesterday. I waited a long time to start this game just because of how big it is. I played the Witcher 2 twice.

I'm about 5 hours in now
about to go see the Baron

The good for me:
Looks fantastic and runs smooth on PC
The Characters + Voice acting is top notch
Story seems interesting and there's a lot of nice little stores going on too, not just random quests

The bad for me:
Roach + travel in general. I just wish I could fast travel when I want to fast travel.
Crafting + Alchemy. Early on I needed to craft a potion, problem is, I had no idea where to find the ingredients. I decided to come back after doing another story quest and when I did find the stuff I had failed the previous quest.
The Combat. It feels very cumbersome like Witcher 2. I think the idea of preparing before a big hunt or fight is a neat idea, but I don't like it in practice.

I understand a lot of the bad for me is stuff people enjoy about the game. I think there's room for improvement in the systems.

Overall, I'm luke warm on the game, if the combat was better I think I would like it more. Right now, the most enjoyment for me comes from the next story beat.

I'm also playing on the easiest difficulty setting. Yes, I just want to experience the story :)

My only advice would be, just keep playing. You're still really early on in the game and combat + crafting is a pain during the early levels when you don't have many crafting materials or skill points to use. Once you've levelled up more and explored the world, things really open up. I wasn't huge on the combat when I started the game but it grew on me after I had more time with it. Try different builds if you're not planning on it already, you might find a play style that clicks.

My only advice would be, just keep playing. You're still really early on in the game and combat + crafting is a pain during the early levels when you don't have many crafting materials or skill points to use. Once you've levelled up more and explored the world, things really open up. I wasn't huge on the combat when I started the game but it grew on me after I had more time with it. Try different builds if you're not planning on it already, you might find a play style that clicks.

Yeah, I imagine I felt the same way when I started the Witcher 2. I plan to keep with it for sure. I like the world. I like the little stories scattered throughout too. Characters and even just random NPCs feel very fleshed out and interesting.

What's a good source of income? Witcher Contracts I'm guessing?

boskee

Re sales data. Response from CDPR:

The company doesn't yet have full sale reports for the fourth quarter of the year. Depending on the partner or the contract, we receive the reports 30, 45 or 60 days after the end of the reporting period. In other words, we will know full sale data at the end of February/beginning of March.

Are we going to publish that data after receiving all the reports for Q4 2015? As previously explained, we treat sales information of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as part of our marketing campaign - we are only going to release it, when we believe it will support CDPR's marketing efforts, so that we can maximise the sale of the base game and its expansions.

Best regards,
Katarzyna Szulc

Finally delving into Skellige after about 60 hours of game tike. I still have some side quests and contracts left in Velen/Novigrad though. How far into the game am I?

Finally delving into Skellige after about 60 hours of game tike. I still have some side quests and contracts left in Velen/Novigrad though. How far into the game am I?

If you only just got to Skellige, you're still technically in part 1 of the game. Part 2 and 3 aren't nearly as long but still have a lot of content.

iNvid02

AAA-RPG, not even once

OslQBcn.jpg

I wanted this to be my first platinum, and I'm already at 80%. But I don't know what merchants I played gwent with and what merchants I haven't played gwent. I kinda don't want to spent alot of time trying to collect the last cards I need. Maybe I just need to forget getting platinums, when it gets grindy or involves a lot of effort I just think to myself why am I doing this. I think ill just finish my last two contracts and then start Hearts of Stone.

sora87

The latest update has made my game much worse from what I can tell, it even looks weird graphically now, I'm dying from falling like 2 foot off something, I'm constantly getting caught in walls. Blah

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I wanted this to be my first platinum, and I'm already at 80%. But I don't know what merchants I played gwent with and what merchants I haven't played gwent. I kinda don't want to spent alot of time trying to collect the last cards I need. Maybe I just need to forget getting platinums, when it gets grindy or involves a lot of effort I just think to myself why am I doing this. I think ill just finish my last two contracts and then start Hearts of Stone.

Its worth it!

MattyG

Banned
So I played about 24 hours of TW3 on PC, never finished the main quest, and really didn't do a ton of quests (most of that time was exploring and trying to work out the kinks with the game in the first weeks of release).

Now, I'm moving out of my house and into the dorms at my school next week. I may not be bringing my PC, but I'm probably bringing my consoles. I've just finished Fallout 4 and have the itch to finally get deep into TW3, so which console version runs better with the current patches?

Edit: Just watched DF's 1.10 comparison and it seems like I should go with PS4.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I just started the On Thin Ice quest, and it seems like this is the point of no return. How is that, though? I didn't get any "failed quest" pop-ups when I started it. Does that mean I can continue any side quests I have once I complete the main story?

I just started the On Thin Ice quest, and it seems like this is the point of no return. How is that, though? I didn't get any "failed quest" pop-ups when I started it. Does that mean I can continue any side quests I have once I complete the main story?
Yes. If you didn't fail anything than you didn't have any main cast specific side quests left to do. Anything else like monster and treasure hunts can be done after.

MrOogieBoogie

Yes. If you didn't fail anything than you didn't have any main cast specific side quests left to do. Anything else like monster and treasure hunts can be done after.

Oh, cool! And when I purchase the Hearts of Stone expansion, I can continue that too, right?

usp84

What is the "Movement response" in the gameplay options?Sould i leave it on standard or alternative?I havent played the game in a while.

What is the "Movement response" in the gameplay options?Sould i leave it on standard or alternative?I havent played the game in a while.
Alternative gets rid of the momentum based blending when changing directions. Less realistic in animation, but more accurate in control. Makes maneuvering and targeting objects in tight spaces much easier.

usp84

Alternative gets rid of the momentum based blending when changing directions. Less realistic in animation, but more accurate in control. Makes maneuvering and targeting objects in tight spaces much easier.

Yes i tried it now.I think i like it better

Wow, this game is freaking amazing. I wish I had started playing it a while ago when I had more free time, as it's the first game in a while that makes me want to get off work so I can play it. I'm level 8 right now, in the middle of the Bloody Baron quests.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm sold on the alternative movement setting- I played for a while without it (I just discovered it today, so I had already played ~15 hours), and wasn't particularly bothered by the default movement. It definitely feels more snappy, but I don't know if I like that yet. I'll keep it on the next time I play and see how I feel.

Anyone got opinions on the alternative vs original character looks? Yennefer definitely looks good in the alternative outfit, but I've heard Triss is better in her original getup. I thought Ciri looked pretty cool in her alternate outfit, but I've only seen her in one section so far.

The biggest problem with the alternative outfits is that in all pre-rendered cutscenes the characters are wearing their original clothes. So you can have Ciri in her DLC outfit during the game and then she'll suddenly change into something else for a few cutscenes.

Anyone got opinions on the alternative vs original character looks? Yennefer definitely looks good in the alternative outfit, but I've heard Triss is better in her original getup. I thought Ciri looked pretty cool in her alternate outfit, but I've only seen her in one section so far.
Yennefer looks way better in the alternative outfit. I use that one permanently.

Triss looks cool in the alternative outfit, but it's so strongly at odds with her character's situation for most of the game that it completely breaks immersion. I only switched it on for the very latter stages of the game where it made more sense.

Ciri's alternative outfit is more in keeping with her character... however I think the regular outfit looks better. Flip a coin I guess :)

If I buy the first DLC can I just wonder over to the new area and mooch around? And does it add a new area to the map?
It expands the land North East of Novigrad. But there are some level 30+ monsters in the area, so you might not wanna wander up there until late game.

W3p6j6O.jpg

Lender

Doing my second playthrough and trying to change up some things. I'm going for a Yen romance, while I'm a huge Triss fan, so Saying
goodbye to Triss without telling I love her is one of the hardest thing I've ever had to do in a videogame.
:(

Just finished my second playthrough.

Jesus fucking christ, I still can't believe how ridiculously good this game is. It has a huge amount of content, and it is top quality from the beginning to the end.

When I played Witcher 1 and 2 I though about how the perfect witcher game would be, and, welp, essentialy this is it.

Can't wait to play Hearts of Stone.

Doing my second playthrough and trying to change up some things. I'm going for a Yen romance, while I'm a huge Triss fan, so Saying
goodbye to Triss without telling I love her is one of the hardest thing I've ever had to do in a videogame.
:(

Well, actually you can romance Yennefer without needing to say goodbye to Triss. Actually, you can even go to the lighthouse with her (wink-wink, poke-poke) and romance Yennefer later.

Not like I have done anything like that. Someone told me.

Ultimadrago

Just finished my second playthrough.

Jesus fucking christ, I still can't believe how ridiculously good this game is. It has a huge amount of content, and it is top quality from the beginning to the end.

When I played Witcher 1 and 2 I though about how the perfect witcher game would be, and, welp, essentialy this is it.

Can't wait to play Hearts of Stone.

You're in for a treat with HoS! :)

X-Frame

Not sure I like the fact that no Relic armor or weapon I find in the wild is better than the Witcher gear I am already wearing.

I feel like as long as I'm wearing a Witcher set in wearing the absolute top tier armor for my current level, with nothing beating it. I'm Level 26 and currently wearing Enchanced Feline armor and Enhanced Ursine swords. Any awesome Relic gift or item I find is always worse.

Hearts of Stone is fucking incredible. Gaunter O'Dimm is easily up there with my favourite characters of the series.

The only complaint I really have is that the Runewright is way too expensive. By the time I upgraded him fully, I was on the final quest of the expansion, and didn't really get much use out of it.
It'll come in handy for Blood and Wine though, I guess.

Not sure I like the fact that no Relic armor or weapon I find in the wild is better than the Witcher gear I am already wearing.

[...]

Any awesome Relic gift or item I find is always worse.
The classic example is later in the game in Skellige, when you visit Crach An Craite to ask for help
defending Kaer Morhen. "Thank you for this blade of legend which is your family heirloom. I'll be pawning it for cash in about 60 seconds because it's a piece of shit compared to what I currently have strapped to my back. I'll be sure to buy some nice flowers and mushrooms with the proceeds though."
lol

demonkaze

Finally coming back to this game after putting it down for a while so I can't remember what build I was going for, what's a good one to use which will get me through the game relatively hassle free.

Looking at my skills, I seem to be specced for signs/alchemy with axii and quen exploding shields while using griffin witcher gear.

X-Frame

The classic example is later in the game in Skellige, when you visit Crach An Craite to ask for help
defending Kaer Morhen. "Thank you for this blade of legend which is your family heirloom. I'll be pawning it for cash in about 60 seconds because it's a piece of shit compared to what I currently have strapped to my back. I'll be sure to buy some nice flowers and mushrooms with the proceeds though."
lol

This is EXACTLY why I made that post, haha.

MrOogieBoogie

What's the point of the $25 season pass if the first expansion is only $10? Second expansion should be about $10 too, right? What's the financial incentive, then?

Top Bottom