• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Skellige has sirens. No sea-monsters though, which is a bummer.

I've finished everything in the main game + dlc, got the platinum as well. Only thing left is roughly 50 ? locations in the Skellige isles, most of which are in open water. Kind of tedious to take a boat out to discover them, and disappointing that majority of them turn out to be smuggler's caches.

Also, late game spoiler about Birna Bran:

i found her dead, chained to a rock and pecked by crows on a small isle outside of the main island.
Having finished the game and the DLC, and having gotten all of the trophies bar the Deathmarch playthrough (which I'm in no rush for yet), I've been doing the Skellige POI's. It is pretty disappointing that they're nearly all Smuggler Caches, but on the bright side they're very lucrative. I've also come across a few cool things I wouldn't have seen otherwise, including the person you mentioned.

Having finished the game and the DLC, and having gotten all of the trophies bar the Deathmarch playthrough (which I'm in no rush for yet), I've been doing the Skellige POI's. It is pretty disappointing that they're nearly all Smuggler Caches, but on the bright side they're very lucrative. I've also come across a few cool things I wouldn't have seen otherwise, including the person you mentioned.

Can you post some of these cool things? Spoiler tagged ofc.

BumRush

Skellige has sirens. No sea-monsters though, which is a bummer.

I've finished everything in the main game + dlc, got the platinum as well. Only thing left is roughly 50 ? locations in the Skellige isles, most of which are in open water. Kind of tedious to take a boat out to discover them, and disappointing that majority of them turn out to be smuggler's caches.

Also, late game spoiler about Birna Bran:

i found her dead, chained to a rock and pecked by crows on a small isle outside of the main island.

Yeah, no sea monster is a missed opportunity. It would make sailing more fun if you knew something massive was down there.

CEO

I just finished the Witches part of the game (the section after you control Ciri for a brief time). Wow, I don't know if I made the right decision.

Can somebody tell me, without spoiling things too much, what happens if you help the
spirit under the tree? What happens with the kids?

I betrayed the spirit and when I returned the disgusting ass witches seems to have eaten the kids

Well. I guess you saved the Baron and his Wife then? Because i released the spirit which freed the kids... which led to the death/becoming a witch of the blood barons wife and resulted in him hanging himself. quite tragic because he seemed to try to become a better person and to make up for all he had done to his family.

man this game is just insane good when it comes to quests and storytelling.

oh and by the way... THAT SCENE WAS JUST AMAZING, that song was really emotional.

https://youtu.be/2YAITI_np_M

Can you post some of these cool things? Spoiler tagged ofc.
Birna Bran chained to a rock for the Sirens to feast on, another guy chained to a rock as punishment for murder (leading to a short but cool little side quest involving his sister), an Archgriffin on an Island in the North of Skellige, and some cool fjords in the West.

bobawesome

Finally started seriously sitting down and playing the game over the past few days. I think I'm 30+ hours in at this point and I'm just about to crack level 10. I feel like I've done nothing. This both thrills and terrifies me.

X-Frame

I feel like the combat is too difficult on harder difficulties at early levels, compared to how easy it becomes at higher levels. How could the devs have addressed this?

I don't know if it's because low level enemies while Geralt's at low level hit too hard or have too much health or something, but Death March now that I'm Level 30+ is way easier than even just the 2nd difficulty was until like Level 10.

Now I'm just flinging superior bombs left and right and overdosing on decoctions and potions that heal me and buff me, all with crazy crafted armor that taking on 10 guys at once doesn't seem difficult.

Birna Bran chained to a rock for the Sirens to feast on, another guy chained to a rock as punishment for murder (leading to a short but cool little side quest involving his sister), an Archgriffin on an Island in the North of Skellige, and some cool fjords in the West.

Cheers, I'll check the rest of them out.

I feel like the combat is too difficult on harder difficulties at early levels, compared to how easy it becomes at higher levels. How could the devs have addressed this?

I don't know if it's because low level enemies while Geralt's at low level hit too hard or have too much health or something, but Death March now that I'm Level 30+ is way easier than even just the 2nd difficulty was until like Level 10.

Now I'm just flinging superior bombs left and right and overdosing on decoctions and potions that heal me and buff me, all with crazy crafted armor that taking on 10 guys at once doesn't seem difficult.

Yup, I had a tough time from 1-15 on DM, but after that I was wrecking shit up once I had enough skill points to invest in a build that could complement my playstyle.

Alright. I wrapped up the main story in Novigrad the other night.

I'm a little concerned if I try and do everything I will burn out on the game. Right now I'm debating if I want to see and do everything or if I should just continue with the main story.

For those that have finished the game, can I keep playing after the main story? Yes, I'll be over leveled for everything probably but I want to keep my momentum moving forward right now and take off to Skellige.

Can you ever upgrade swallow? I'm only level 12 and it is starting to become an extremely underpowered healing option.

Yes, you can upgrade it to enhanced and superior versions, given you have the diagrams and required ingredients.

Alright. I wrapped up the main story in Novigrad the other night.

I'm a little concerned if I try and do everything I will burn out on the game. Right now I'm debating if I want to see and do everything or if I should just continue with the main story.

For those that have finished the game, can I keep playing after the main story? Yes, I'll be over leveled for everything probably but I want to keep my momentum moving forward right now and take off to Skellige.

Look at your level and the recommended level of the next main quest. If there is a big difference, then concentrate on side missions, contracts and treasure hunts. Find those witcher set diagrams. Explore the ? areas.

You can keep on playing after you beat the main story, but at certain points some side-quests will get locked out so make sure you do them beforehand.

Yes, you can upgrade it to enhanced and superior versions, given you have the diagrams and required ingredients.

Look at your level and the recommended level of the next main quest. If there is a big difference, then concentrate on side missions, contracts and treasure hunts. Find those witcher set diagrams. Explore the ? areas.

You can keep on playing after you beat the main story, but at certain points some side-quests will get locked out so make sure you do them beforehand.

You're everywhere Death! Thanks buddy :)

I think I will go after the Diagrams I have remaining(wearing all Griffin gear for my signs build) and then take that boat to Skellige! Even if I miss some stuff that's alright. I always try to do any side quests with big characters asap tho, like Triss, etc

So I'm about 25 hours in or so, and having a blast.

My only complaint: Why does all the armor in this game look like ass?

Geralt's badass persona is seriously hindered by looking like a marshmallow man.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
Hi guys, sorry but I'm rather confused right now. I restarted playing yesterday after stopping many months ago, and I can't seem to update my game from gog galaxy. It's still at 1.08 and if I try to update it says "not authorized". On the gog website it says I don't own the base game or something despite being able to play it.
Also vanished from order history.

I've read they fused the various Witcher 3 items into one so maybe something went wrong there? Or did they remove the game from my account? =/

I wouldn't care that much usually since I can play, but I had bought the expansion pass back then so...I'd like to play them eventually.

Have you bought it from a key-reseller? If not, contact GOG support, if the answer is yes however - torrent is your way to go - unfortunately in this case it would seem that your key was not legit (there were several cases like that in the past).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well. I guess you saved the Baron and his Wife then? Because i released the spirit which freed the kids... which led to the death/becoming a witch of the blood barons wife and resulted in him hanging himself. quite tragic because he seemed to try to become a better person and to make up for all he had done to his family.

man this game is just insane good when it comes to quests and storytelling.

oh and by the way... THAT SCENE WAS JUST AMAZING, that song was really emotional.

https://youtu.be/2YAITI_np_M

About the baron and the whispering hillock...

if you do the whispering hillock before you encounter the baron you will be able to save the children and the baron. Village still perishes though.

mxgt

Banned
Holy shit the
drunk section with Lambert and Eskil at Kaer Morhen
is the funniest thing I've seen in a game in a long time.

hydruxo

Finished up all the side quests (besides the Gwent ones and a handful of horse races) so I think I'm finally done with this game until Blood & Wine comes out. I want to do NG+ on Death March but I'm gonna hold off until we know what the level requirements are like for B&W in NG and NG+.

Shahadan

Have you bought it from a key-reseller? If not, contact GOG support, if the answer is yes however - torrent is your way to go - unfortunately in this case it would seem that your key was not legit (there were several cases like that in the past).

Yeah I ended up writing to their support after doing some research on google. The only thing I could find was keys bought from G2A with stolen cards were being removed, and as I bought mine on GOG it didn't apply to me.

In the end it was probably a mistake when they fused everything witcher 3 related. Support fixed it! Yay 18gb patch ! :lol:

Hypron

Holy shit the
drunk section with Lambert and Eskil at Kaer Morhen
is the funniest thing I've seen in a game in a long time.

The entire mission is hilarious.

"Lambert, Lambert, what a prick."

Lambert mocking Geralt for the killing monters trailer.

You can also piss Yennefer off and she'll teleport you outside the castle apparently (although I didn't get that one in my playthrough).

Tankshell

So I'm about 25 hours in or so, and having a blast.

My only complaint: Why does all the armor in this game look like ass?

Geralt's badass persona is seriously hindered by looking like a marshmallow man.

You need to start finding and crafting the various Witcher School armour sets (treasure hunts in your quest log, buy the maps from vendors first), they all look awesome.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
Yeah I ended up writing to their support after doing some research on google. The only thing I could find was keys bought from G2A with stolen cards were being removed, and as I bought mine on GOG it didn't apply to me.

In the end it was probably a mistake when they fused everything witcher 3 related. Support fixed it! Yay 18gb patch ! :lol:

Don't forget to redownload free DLCs - they were patched separately.

I'm now on the part where
I collect allies for the battle with the wild hunt before going to take Ciri from the isle of mists
Should I complete all of the side quests and the expansion quests before
going to get her
?

Sai

I collect allies for the battle with the wild hunt before going to take Ciri from the isle of mists
going to get her
?
Might be to your benefit to get as many secondary objectives out of the way as you can, especially those pertaining to important characters. But for the content related to the expansion(s), you can take care of them after completing the main questline; I'd say their recommended level kind of encourages you to do them that way.

X-Frame

Damn, I had no idea that once a quest is low enough level that the level shows up in gray that I won't get any XP from it.

Had I known that I would have made sure to do all quests once it comes green.

This also seems to be the case for any monsters or enemies that are lower level. Now that I'm Level 33, basically most enemies I come across now will only give me 1 XP per kill.

going to get her
?

Good idea to complete the side stuff before you progress with the main quest. You can play the expansion quests anytime, they don't get affected by the main story.

Damn, I had no idea that once a quest is low enough level that the level shows up in gray that I won't get any XP from it.

This also seems to be the case for any monsters or enemies that are lower level. Now that I'm Level 33, basically most enemies I come across now will only give me 1 XP per kill.

As a level 38 I killed a 48 arch griffin, got 50 xp. Monsters/enemies in general don't give a lot of xp in the game.

Was short of 200 xp to level 39, ended up killing 200 sirens for 1 xp each in Skellige while getting rid of all the ? locations.

Only way to progress now is NG+ or wait for B&W dlc.

I just got to Skelliga and I'm having the same issue. I'm level 21. The main storyline quest for the area is 16. There doesn't seem to be a perfect road map for doing all the quests while they're still within your level. There's just too many of them! It's not a bad thing, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

Also, is there a point of know return quest in Skelliga? Is there a prompt that will tell me when the end of the Act is about to happen? I want to do as many of the side quests and hunts as I can.

Also, is there a point of know return quest in Skelliga? Is there a prompt that will tell me when the end of the Act is about to happen? I want to do as many of the side quests and hunts as I can.

Game will warn you when it's that time. Certain side quests will get locked so make sure you do them before you get on with that main quest.

If you do all side stuff, contracts, treasure hunts, places of interest etc you should easily be able to get to level 34 by the time you're at the final quest of Act 3.

X-Frame

As a level 38 I killed a 48 arch griffin, got 50 xp. Monsters/enemies in general don't give a lot of xp in the game.

Was short of 200 xp to level 39, ended up killing 200 sirens for 1 xp each in Skellige while getting rid of all the ? locations.

Only way to progress now is NG+ or wait for B&W dlc.

Gotcha, I suppose that makes sense so that someone can't just farm monsters constantly and over level too easily. But same like you, I am like 75 XP until Level 34 where I can craft Mastercraft gear which I preferred to do before continuing with the main quest. I've done every available contract and side quest already that I had.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep going with the story.

I just got to Skelliga and I'm having the same issue. I'm level 21. The main storyline quest for the area is 16. There doesn't seem to be a perfect road map for doing all the quests while they're still within your level. There's just too many of them! It's not a bad thing, but I know exactly what you're talking about.

I noticed the same once I got to Skellige. Luckily I don't think I saved too many quests for once they turned gray, just a couple contracts that I've been sitting on until now.

Game will warn you when it's that time. Certain side quests will get locked so make sure you do them before you get on with that main quest.

If you do all side stuff, contracts, treasure hunts, places of interest etc you should easily be able to get to level 34 by the time you're at the final quest of Act 3.

I'm not doing any of the Gwent stuff. Hopefully I can reach 34 with everything else. If not, I'm on PC, I'm sure I can just Mod with a console command or something. I do want to eventually wear the Griffin master class armor. Thanks Death.

Nordicus

going to get her
?
Complete any non-contract/treasure hunt/minigame sidequest that's equal or lower level than the main quest at that point. Some of those might autofail if you don't complete them.

Expansion content is way higher level than you can manage at that point. You'll get a better chance to do it later

Complete any non-contract/treasure hunt/minigame sidequest that's equal or lower level than the main quest at that point. Some of those might autofail if you don't complete them.

Expansion content is way higher level than you can manage at that point. You'll get a better chance to do it later

So I have to beat the king of the wild hunt before I beat Olgierd? It feels somewhat anticlimatic

daripad

Lately the game has been buggy for me, I'm starting to get tired of it, plus it controls so horribly that I really want to finish it once and for all.

So (late game spoilers, I guess)
There is this mission, Reason of State, and I side with Roche and have to kill Dijkstra and his men, but I kill them all and the mission doesn't conclude. I've tried 5 times already and it doesn't end. What can I do? I don't really want to side with Dijkstra, so I will be disappointed if I have to do that in order to finally complete the quest

Edit: just solved it. Had to choose other options in the conversation

Is there a way to fast travel without being next to a fast travel sign? I assumed you could just open up your map and click on any of the signs you've visited previously and immediately travel there?

Gotcha, I suppose that makes sense so that someone can't just farm monsters constantly and over level too easily. But same like you, I am like 75 XP until Level 34 where I can craft Mastercraft gear which I preferred to do before continuing with the main quest. I've done every available contract and side quest already that I had.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep going with the story.

I'm not doing any of the Gwent stuff. Hopefully I can reach 34 with everything else. If not, I'm on PC, I'm sure I can just Mod with a console command or something. I do want to eventually wear the Griffin master class armor. Thanks Death.

Main quests later in the story give like 800-1000 xp each, you'll level up in no time.

Is there a way to fast travel without being next to a fast travel sign? I assumed you could just open up your map and click on any of the signs you've visited previously and immediately travel there?

If you're near a boat, you can just use that and fast travel to an anchor point on the map that you have unlocked.

Starting up Witcher 2 on Xbox One made me want to start a replay. Probably should do it on PC, though, so I have a save ready for when I inevitably buy Witcher 3 on PC.

Top Bottom