• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Thanks for this post. I am in the same situation as you were. Played the vanilla game for nearly 300 hours but never came to try the new stuff which was implemented in the game. Now I think I will do it the same way you did it: Play the addons sepertly and after that start a new game. I never could get settled how I wanted to continue playing (NG+, continue with my save to the addons, start new or whatever), but your way seems like the best idea.

Glad it helped. I was a bit bummed about not getting to carry over "my" Geralt, but I used it as a chance to spec and gear him a bit differently to mix it up.

I have indeed now started a totally fresh game so I can go through it with the newer patches and DLC all together when I get there.

DarkestHour

Banned
When I finish the game, can I uninstall and not worry about saves? So I can play NG+ someday if I ever wanted? (Steam version)

I think it will pull down your Steam Cloud save. I was thinking about this today too. I wouldn't mind giving the game another run through.

ParityBit

Awesome thanks. So can anyone tell me about what I have left time wise? I am at
Capture the castle. I have not started it yet.

I still have not upgraded my armor and I am wondering if I really need to. Burn out is happening. Heh

Awesome thanks. So can anyone tell me about what I have left time wise? I am at
Capture the castle. I have not started it yet.

I still have not upgraded my armor and I am wondering if I really need to. Burn out is happening. Heh

There are two major quests possible after that and then a fairly short finale sequence.

However, those two quests are exclusive and wildly different. If you are only playing once I would suggest doing the mission
to get Syanna

ParityBit

There are two major quests possible after that and then a fairly short finale sequence.

However, those two quests are exclusive and wildly different. If you are only playing once I would suggest doing the mission
to get Syanna

I am sure I will do all the quests. My log is completely empty going into the one I listed above. I did upgrade one set of my armor that I am wearing so I could get some benefits. I am using Unique weapons so I did not have to upgrade those.

Maybe this week I can start that trek towards the end. It will be nice to play a different game.
I loved this game! Just way too long with limited time

Luxorek

GDC talk by one of the Witcher devs about building Beauclair in Blood and Wine

Some impressive tech that they have. Even more impressive is what they achieved in such a short amount of time.

Munki

Started a NG+, level 70 now. I have been using the TSS and Aerondight along with the Grandmaster ursine gear that I obtained on my original play-through of the game up until now. My question is if I should bother upgrading my gear, or just stick with my current gear which I seem to be doing fine with.

X-Frame

Started a NG+, level 70 now. I have been using the TSS and Aerondight along with the Grandmaster ursine gear that I obtained on my original play-through of the game up until now. My question is if I should bother upgrading my gear, or just stick with my current gear which I seem to be doing fine with.

I started a NG+ at Level 53 and I'm level 72 now and I haven't changed a thing in terms of my gear. Still using everything from the first playthrough and demolishing everything on Death March.

I am using a Combat + Alchemy build.

Munki

I started a NG+ at Level 53 and I'm level 72 now and I haven't changed a thing in terms of my gear. Still using everything from the first playthrough and demolishing everything on Death March.

I am using a Combat + Alchemy build.

Nice. Any tips on how to allocate skill points? I have 11 I have yet to assign with my current build and have no clue what to do with them.

X-Frame

Nice. Any tips on how to allocate skill points? I have 11 I have yet to assign with my current build and have no clue what to do with them.

Here is a great build video that I am currently working to complete. I just need to level up some more so that I can unlock all the extra skill slots introduced in Blood and Wine.

https://youtu.be/wNFFyScdduI

It may be a bit tough to get this build if you have already started a NG+, as before I did I made sure to do as much as I could in my first playthrough.

Still, even if you can't do certain things yet, such as obtain the Manticore armor or use the Runewright you can still do most of it, at least pick the skills he uses as much as you can.

Munki

Here is a great build video that I am currently working to complete. I just need to level up some more so that I can unlock all the extra skill slots introduced in Blood and Wine.

https://youtu.be/wNFFyScdduI

It may be a bit tough to get this build if you have already started a NG+, as before I did I made sure to do as much as I could in my first playthrough.

Still, even if you can't do certain things yet, such as obtain the Manticore armor or use the Runewright you can still do most of it, at least pick the skills he uses as much as you can.

Dope, thanks breh!

Edit: Do you know if the Potion of Clearance is available in Novigrad at all times?

X-Frame

Dope, thanks breh!

Edit: Do you know if the Potion of Clearance is available in Novigrad at all times?

I recall that there is that shady merchant near the bridge connecting the two parts of Novigrad that has it for sale. He is the one where you can buy the (side quest spoiler):
doll figurine which results in a little quest with Triss

Not sure about any others in Novigrad.

Jennipeg

I have a quick question, I've just started Hearts of Stone and lost my armour
after washing up on the beach
is there a way to get it back?

I have a quick question, I've just started Hearts of Stone and lost my armour
after washing up on the beach
is there a way to get it back?

Should be
in a chest by the boat wreckage, on the beach I think. If not double check your inventory, I know some stuff stays in there that didn't make a lot of sense

Jennipeg

Should be
in a chest by the boat wreckage, on the beach I think. If not double check your inventory, I know some stuff stays in there that didn't make a lot of sense

Thanks, I don't suppose anyone knows where that area is? I have moved on and don't know how to get back. I've looked at walkthrough videos and apparently people don't check the world map, so I can't find out that way either. I feel stupid now.

Edit: I found the place, I have it, i'm glad because it's Master crafted.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Started a brand new playthrough over the weekend. This game is so good.

Its almost been a yearly thing for me. I first beat the game during the summer of its release, then did another playthrough a year after that with all the DLC, patches and expansions, and now im eager to dive back in for a 3rd playthrough. Its been a year now, but i think im going to wait another 6 months or so. I know that I should be more eager for new experiences, but i often find myself wanting to go back to Witcher 3 while trying out other games. This happened to me with Mass Effect: Andromeda, for example.

ParityBit

Any advice with the
Detlaff
fight? I am having no luck and the
Vampire potion doesn't hurt hurt him so only the sword does.

Any advice with the
Detlaff
fight? I am having no luck and the
Vampire potion doesn't hurt hurt him so only the sword does.

Ducking the bats is the key to the fight. Just stay far away. When you see the bats getting charged run a bit in a horizontal direction and then roll. He will then do this telegraphed dive attack on your position, roll away from it and then pelt him while he is stunned. Rinse and repeat.

Quen any chance you get to cover for mistakes.

The second part is easier, just kill the blobs and ignore him. When he gets close roll away to another blob.

The first couple times I fought him I found it impossible but once I figured out the bats it was a cakewalk.

EDIT -
This is actually the second and third parts of the fight lol. First part should not be a problem.

Finished HoS

Goddamn that was incredible. Holy hell at that last portion of the DLC

I'm at that point where I know a lot of these characters played a vital role in the previous games (This is my first Witcher game) and I bums me out that i don't know who they are. Not knowing their history with Gerald. Thankfully, the writing is so good and they are so well ingrained in the world you can pick up on their character chemistry quick

On to B&W!

mstevens

So I just started this game up last night and ended up playing until 3 am. I really like it so far! I started on Death March to see if I could do it, and it hasn't been too bad so far. I think it made the bear, wraith, and griffon fights in the first section of the game more intense and fun than they would have been.

My strategy right now is to pump up my swift attack skills and the Quen skills. I got 3/3 on the first skill, but I need to put some more points into that tree before it will let me get the active shield, which I really want. Where would be a good place to put those precursor points?

I also haven't found any good armor and I've been low on cash the whole time so far. Any advice on those fronts?

Luxorek

My strategy right now is to pump up my swift attack skills and the Quen skills. I got 3/3 on the first skill, but I need to put some more points into that tree before it will let me get the active shield, which I really want. Where would be a good place to put those precursor points?

You could try investing three points in Delusion. It works like a Jedi Mind Trick, sometimes you can resolve a situation by using Axii instead of fighting. Limited usefulness, but to be honest by the end game you should have more than enough skill points.

All I'm saying is don't sleep on Axii. It's a powerful ability that can make most group fights trivial.

I also haven't found any good armor and I've been low on cash the whole time so far. Any advice on those fronts?

Try saving up money for the Temerian set you can buy from that merchant you saved from the Griffin. You won't be able to buy it before you slay the Griffin, but you should be able to save up money quickly once you're in Velen.

My advice is as follows. Sell food, junk and skins to Inkeepers, they give the best prices. Sell redundant monster parts to alchemists as well - no need to carry 20+ drowner brains. Try exploring the question marks on the map - there are often chests there filled with more expensive equipment that you can salvage or sell.

So I just started this game up last night and ended up playing until 3 am. I really like it so far! I started on Death March to see if I could do it, and it hasn't been too bad so far. I think it made the bear, wraith, and griffon fights in the first section of the game more intense and fun than they would have been.

yeah i highly recommend going with Delusion to Jedi mind trick yourself out of situations. It gives you XP and saves you Crowns in the long run i think

Also, it sounds like you are going towards a Spellsword build? That's the build i'm doing right now and it's fun as hell. Somewhat defensive build but high on the action.

This build guide really helped me maximizing my play style if interested: http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015...ter_builds_for_geralt_in_the_witcher_3_on_ps4

mstevens

Cool, thanks guys. I put 3 points into jedi mind trick.

I know I shouldn't be amazed by how good this game is, considering all the accolades, but hot damn. Just finished up the Kiera quest line and the Bog Witches quest line (holy shit, by the way). I could barely pull myself away to post an update here.

Also - I'm sort of shocked by how easy Death March is so far. Not trying to humble brag, but I think I've only died a couple of times. I'm sure it'll get harder as I'm only level 6, but so far I just keep Quen up, and if I do manage to get hit I hold Quen down so the next hit heals me back up. Haven't used roll much, just basically dodge -> attack -> dodge -> attack over and over.

edit: Okay that Bloody Baron wraith part was pretty hard, so I may have spoke too soon. Got them, though.

Guys I just started the game last night for the first time.

Can I get a strategy on what best to build up first? Also what is the best way to get more points? I knew this ability tree system was going to scare me, and it does.

Any advice you can give about what I should spend my time doing early on. I was thinking as many side quests and stuff, I just don't know about tall this ability branching.

Guys I just started the game last night for the first time.

Can I get a strategy on what best to build up first? Also what is the best way to get more points? I knew this ability tree system was going to scare me, and it does.

Any advice you can give about what I should spend my time doing early on. I was thinking as many side quests and stuff, I just don't know about tall this ability branching.

Side quests give a pittance in XP compared to Main Quests, so if you're concerned about leveling quickly, the Main Story is much faster. But the XP you get from quests drops off to basically zero if you're too far overleveled, meaning if you skip the side quests to come back later, they won't give you anything. Just FYI.

The fastest way to earn points is Places of Power. Activate them (usually 8 in each map area) for a free point. That's a lot of extra points to mess around with.

As far as skills, depends on what sort of character you want to be. The easiest to focus on at the beginning would either be striking (Fast Attack is generally more useful than Strong Attack), or Igni (Melt Armor) / Quen (Exploding Shield). Either way you go, I'd also pop one point into Delusion as it opens up new dialogue options that can lead to some easy XP. After you determine what sort of armor you'll be sticking with, put a point in ___ School Techniques (Cat for Light Armor, Griffin for Medium, Bear for Heavy).

As you start gaining levels and figure out your playstyle, you can keep going down the branches. If you're more of a sword fighter, go for Muscle Memory and Precise Blows. If you're going mage, invest points in Igni / Aard for crowd control (skip Firestream though, it's not very good; Far Reaching Aard and Aard Sweep is actually a pretty good combination for knocking people down so you can stab them, and Igni is fine on it's own when it applies a burning effect, so the secondary mode there is irrelevant). Active Shield (Quen) is a good secondary mode to help you replenish health. I personally wouldn't recommend investing in Alchemy until you've got a handle on the other things; you can make a totally overpowered character with it, but only if you know exactly what you're doing. Focus on Attack or Magic first.

Don't worry about investing points in the wrong things. Later in the game you'll get access to a (costly) potion that resets all your points and allows you to re-spec however you want.

Side quests give a pittance in XP compared to Main Quests, so if you're concerned about leveling quickly, the Main Story is much faster. But the XP you get from quests drops off to basically zero if you're too far overleveled, meaning if you skip the side quests to come back later, they won't give you anything. Just FYI.

The fastest way to earn points is Places of Power. Activate them (usually 8 in each map area) for a free point. That's a lot of extra points to mess around with.

As far as skills, depends on what sort of character you want to be. The easiest to focus on at the beginning would either be striking (Fast Attack is generally more useful than Strong Attack), or Igni (Melt Armor) / Quen (Exploding Shield). Either way you go, I'd also pop one point into Delusion as it opens up new dialogue options that can lead to some easy XP. After you determine what sort of armor you'll be sticking with, put a point in ___ School Techniques (Cat for Light Armor, Griffin for Medium, Bear for Heavy).

As you start gaining levels and figure out your playstyle, you can keep going down the branches. If you're more of a sword fighter, go for Muscle Memory and Precise Blows. If you're going mage, invest points in Igni / Aard for crowd control (skip Firestream though, it's not very good; Far Reaching Aard and Aard Sweep is actually a pretty good combination for knocking people down so you can stab them, and Igni is fine on it's own when it applies a burning effect, so the secondary mode there is irrelevant). Active Shield (Quen) is a good secondary mode to help you replenish health. I personally wouldn't recommend investing in Alchemy until you've got a handle on the other things; you can make a totally overpowered character with it, but only if you know exactly what you're doing. Focus on Attack or Magic first.

Don't worry about investing points in the wrong things. Later in the game you'll get access to a (costly) potion that resets all your points and allows you to re-spec however you want.

I want to thank you for this. I really do.

One of the things that took me a bit to realize was that the mechanics for potions was a lot more forgiving. Basically once you craft a potion you never need to do so again. It will auto refill using alcohol which is cheap and plentiful.

obeast

I want to thank you for this. I really do.

One thing to emphasize - unlike most games with spell/sword/whatever trees, in TW3 you don't really need to specialize in swords/signs/alchemy to make all of those things useful. If you start by putting a bunch of abilities in swords, for instance, that doesn't mean that your signs, potions, bombs, and oils are useless. You should still use them - if nothing else, the game is more fun that way (note that potions autorefill every time you rest, consuming only alcohol, which you will have an effectively infinite amount of - you only need to make them once, and there's no need to hoard them).

Also, 1) you can respec for 1000 gold if you ever need to, and 2) near the middle/end of the game you will have so many abilities that you won't be able to have them all active (they only do something if you load them into one of the 12 slots). This means that its kinda hard to screw up your build - I wouldn't worry too much about getting it perfect from the start.

Lastly, if you pick up mutagens (especially red or blue ones) from monsters, make sure to load them into slots next to your active abilities - they give very helpful bonuses. If you get 3 of the same type, they can be combined into a single more powerful mutagen. Apologies if this was obvious - I can't remember how much guidance you get from the game about ability mechanics.

Lastly, if you pick up mutagens (especially red or blue ones) from monsters, make sure to load them into slots next to your active abilities - they give very helpful bonuses. If you get 3 of the same type, they can be combined into a single more powerful mutagen. Apologies if this was obvious - I can't remember how much guidance you get from the game about ability mechanics.

As well as this, base colour mutagens (red/green/blue) provide a set bonus that's raised for every ability of that colour connected to it. Each mutagen slot connects to three ability slots, it'll make sense when you look at the screen. You can swap your ability layout around any time so it's not big deal, but don't drop a blue mutagen in next to green/red abilities if you have two or three blues lined up in other slots. Also possibly obvious but it might be easy to miss if you don't know about it.

EDIT: What is considered to be the "best" ending for the game?

I think the "best" is usually considered
Ciri becoming a Witcher, but I think the difference between that and her becoming Empress is probably personal preference. Witcher being favoured as it comes across as her being free to do what she wants as opposed to being locked into running the country, I guess?

Munki

Finished my 2nd play-through of game last night... About to start my 3rd when I get home. Best game I've ever played. Period.

One thing to emphasize - unlike most games with spell/sword/whatever trees, in TW3 you don't really need to specialize in swords/signs/alchemy to make all of those things useful. If you start by putting a bunch of abilities in swords, for instance, that doesn't mean that your signs, potions, bombs, and oils are useless. You should still use them - if nothing else, the game is more fun that way (note that potions autorefill every time you rest, consuming only alcohol, which you will have an effectively infinite amount of - you only need to make them once, and there's no need to hoard them).

Also, 1) you can respec for 1000 gold if you ever need to, and 2) near the middle/end of the game you will have so many abilities that you won't be able to have them all active (they only do something if you load them into one of the 12 slots). This means that its kinda hard to screw up your build - I wouldn't worry too much about getting it perfect from the start.

Thank you for the advise. I appreciate it. Last night I found all the places of power in the first map, so I could build up a little before I go to face the first Griffen.

I will follow your advice.

MartyStu

Finished my 2nd play-through of game last night... About to start my 3rd when I get home. Best game I've ever played. Period.

The 'hardest' one to get is
Empress Ciri.

I think many people prefer
Witcher Ciri.

Artdayne

Empress is the best. Biggest emotional payoff, makes the most sense, from a logical perspective.

Got all the source of power sin the first area map. Time to continue the story? I gotta hunt down the Griffen.

Definitely. The first area is really just to get you accustomed to the controls; it's a glorified tutorial area. Time to move on to the real meat and potatoes of the game; Velen/Novigrad will blow your mind after White Run. And you can return to White Run at any time if you feel like you missed something.

It's really tempting to break off and explore when you first get to Velen. I'd caution to stick to the story for at least a couple missions. Many of the areas in Velen will contain enemies significantly higher than you will be, and you can stumble on them accidentally and find yourself dead before you realize what happened. The story does a good job easing you into the map and introducing locations. And the first set of main story missions in Velen are widely regarded as the best questline in the game.

hitgirl

I really do love this game.. Play both Witcher 1 & 2 multiple times. But I got to say the combat in this game is so lacking. I'm playing on Death March and still wrecking everything. My girlfriend is re-playing Witcher 2 and I've been glancing over re-watching it, I've come to the conclusion that 2 is better than 3.

It's a bit disappointing because the world in 3 is beautiful and the writing is amazing. I want to spend a lot of time running around in the world. But most of the actions devolve down to combat, which I don't enjoy...

CloudWolf

I really do love this game.. Play both Witcher 1 & 2 multiple times. But I got to say the combat in this game is so lacking. I'm playing on Death March and still wrecking everything. My girlfriend is re-playing Witcher 2 and I've been glancing over re-watching it, I've come to the conclusion that 2 is better than 3.

It's a bit disappointing because the world in 3 is beautiful and the writing is amazing. I want to spend a lot of time running around in the world. But most of the actions devolve down to combat, which I don't enjoy...

I think all three of the Witcher games excel over each other in different areas. Witcher 1 has the best story out of the three, Witcher 2 has the best combat (though I do prefer the different styles from 1) and Witcher 3 has the best side content.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm afraid to craft crossbow bolts for fear of running out of silver. This one recipe requires three pieces! Idk... seems steep for bolts that are pretty weak compared to, say... a bomb that replenishes with a single alcohol.

I have a stash of silver, but it's kinda rare to find even with dismantling stuff I pick up, and I want to craft silver swords... Idk... can you exhaust silver supply (practically speaking, I don't want to buy the stuff -- dismantling is expensive enough already) in the game?

hitgirl

I think all three of the Witcher games excel over each other in different areas. Witcher 1 has the best story out of the three, Witcher 2 has the best combat (though I do prefer the different styles from 1) and Witcher 3 has the best side content.

That makes sense to me. Granted I have not played the DLC for 3 yet, which I've heard has great content.

Artdayne

Witcher 2 has the worst combat, IMO. In Witcher 2 your resource for using signs is the same as the resource for blocking. You take double damage in the back and you're targeted regularly in the back. When you roll away from an enemy, which is your primary method of avoiding damage, you expose your back. You don't have a riposte until several levels later, and the baseline roll before upgrades is really ineffective.

Witcher 3 gives you those things from the get go. The only advantage Witcher 2 gives you is the potential to cast multiple signs quicker than you can in Witcher 1 or 3.

Witcher 1 probably has the most interesting character progression in terms of how your animations change the further you level up.

With that said, Witcher 2's combat is pretty fun late game.

Definitely. The first area is really just to get you accustomed to the controls; it's a glorified tutorial area. Time to move on to the real meat and potatoes of the game; Velen/Novigrad will blow your mind after White Run. And you can return to White Run at any time if you feel like you missed something.

It's really tempting to break off and explore when you first get to Velen. I'd caution to stick to the story for at least a couple missions. Many of the areas in Velen will contain enemies significantly higher than you will be, and you can stumble on them accidentally and find yourself dead before you realize what happened. The story does a good job easing you into the map and introducing locations. And the first set of main story missions in Velen are widely regarded as the best questline in the game.

Took down the Griffin last night. I explored a lot. I cant figure out how to initiate fast travel if someone can help.

I met Yeniffer last night, and we rode together. I am in the company of the emperor.

Munki

Took down the Griffin last night. I explored a lot. I cant figure out how to initiate fast travel if someone can help.

I met Yeniffer last night, and we rode together. I am in the company of the emperor.

What do you mean by "initiating fast travel"? Usually you just have to visit a certain area to unlock the ability to fast travel to that area. This will be indicated by a little green sign post when you go to your map.

Top Bottom