• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Can someone help

I cant find Madman Lugos at his castle. Im trying to find him to get the gwent card

All i know is that he was upset with me due to the storyline in skellige. How do i get to his castle, it seems like a dead end

Edit: found it. His entrance was hard to find And I ended up reading a spoiler looking online :(

Each for there own, but it took all of about the opening cinematic sequence for that to happen to me.

I'd say at least get to Velen, and see out the Bloody Baron/Crones story line. Depending how much exploring you do thats around 5-10 hours or so. If you're still not feeling it then
(god help you)
then it'd be pretty safe to bail

How far did you get with your other attempts, out of interest?

This.

I felt crazy that I couldn't get into the game. I had the same problem with The Witcher 2, and gave up.

I tried The Witcher 3 a few times but just couldn't get it to click, this weekend I forced myself to sit and play through the Bloody Baron/Crones and I'm hooked on the game.

One thing I did that I think helped me was modding the game, friendly HUD, Indestructible Items, and a few others I feel are helping me get over the learning curve.

The story is finally starting to make a bit of sense, and the characters and monsters are making this game stand out from the crowd.

Took a few years, but I finally understand why this game was getting the praise it got.

Coreda

I cant find Madman Lugos at his castle. Im trying to find him to get the gwent card

Edit: found it. His entrance was hard to find And I ended up reading a spoiler looking online :(

Someone was working on a spoiler-free quest guide for the entire game, but didn't end up continuing it (CDPR forum topic here). Would have been good to see it expanded to Skellige, but it only covers the prologue and a chunk of the Velen quests.

crap. Don't know if Ill get the gwent trophy. I know of one card that I cant get because the owner died. Bit it turns out I already have the card they would give me, so i must have looted it

I feel like I completed all the quests for gwent since they arent giving me any more. But that must mean Im missing them from bar keepers who sell them. Im not sure if Im missing any others, and its going to be a chore to check every seller.

How doable is the platinum again?

Ill need to replay it on death march but Im hoping I can just rush the main storyline to get that trophy

Also, is the hours played stat accurate? Or does it get bugged?

Raptor

I need to know where to buy cards, Im getting my ass kicked hard cause they always use some badass cards and I end up in the third round with ony 2 cards and they with like 5 wiht some legendaries or some crap and me with some 5 long range or something.

I need more cards.

killatopak

crap. Don't know if Ill get the gwent trophy. I know of one card that I cant get because the owner died. Bit it turns out I already have the card they would give me, so i must have looted it

I feel like I completed all the quests for gwent since they arent giving me any more. But that must mean Im missing them from bar keepers who sell them. Im not sure if Im missing any others, and its going to be a chore to check every seller.

How doable is the platinum again?

Ill need to replay it on death march but Im hoping I can just rush the main storyline to get that trophy

Also, is the hours played stat accurate? Or does it get bugged?

some of the cards can be gotten from merchants that are imprisoned by bandits. Some obscure point of interests has them.

some of the cards can be gotten from merchants that are imprisoned by bandits. Some obscure point of interests has them.

I see, thanks! This is going to be a huge slog.

Im okay with it if I can just know which are totally missable. Im already on the third act of the game and I fear I may have missed some permanently.

But from what I know, I think Im on track.

I need to know where to buy cards, Im getting my ass kicked hard cause they always use some badass cards and I end up in the third round with ony 2 cards and they with like 5 wiht some legendaries or some crap and me with some 5 long range or something.

I need more cards.

I think its the Innkeepers. Fast travel to previous locations with innkeepers too. You also get the best ones from beating people in those Gwent-specific quests.

Like the AI, its usually only played best to play legendaries in the final round.
Don't be afraid to give up a round, ideally you want to have the most cards by the last round.

killatopak

I see, thanks! This is going to be a huge slog.

Im okay with it if I can just know which are totally missable. Im already on the third act of the game and I fear I may have missed some permanently.

But from what I know, I think Im on track.

IIRC the only missable card is from a bartender on a tavern near the square in Novigrad and Lugos. The bartender becomes missable after the last Triss quest. Lugos is missable
after returning to Skellige with Ciri and Novigrad before that.

A quick question for you all. Im debating on platinuming The Witcher 3 and im on medium difficulty, am I able to switch it to death March difficulty right before the ending to get the trophy?

A quick question for you all. Im debating on platinuming The Witcher 3 and im on medium difficulty, am I able to switch it to death March difficulty right before the ending to get the trophy?
Pretty sure you have to play the whole thing on said difficulty (without ever switching).

Raptor

I think its the Innkeepers. Fast travel to previous locations with innkeepers too. You also get the best ones from beating people in those Gwent-specific quests.

Like the AI, its usually only played best to play legendaries in the final round.
Don't be afraid to give up a round, ideally you want to have the most cards by the last round.

Thanks man, slowly learning, my OCD wont let me ignore Gwent missions.

Exentryk

"Geralt: Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?"

giphy.gif

I can't get new game + to trigger. I've loaded my last save which I've definitely completed the main quest but can't figure out how to load ng+. It's not showing up in the main menu anywhere either

I can't get new game + to trigger. I've loaded my last save which I've definitely completed the main quest but can't figure out how to load ng+. It's not showing up in the main menu anywhere either

Select New Game at the Main Menu; New Game + should be one of the options if you have a completed savefile.

JWiLL

Banned
So I reinstalled the game yesterday after getting Blood and Wine on the Steam sale. Planning to finish up the story again...but my game constantly crashes in Novigrad. Can never play for more than 2 minutes before it happens and I'm unable to get through the quest I need to.

I know it's not a hardware issue...I have a 6700k and 1080.

After some reading online...borderless window might be the cause? I like using that for quicker alt-tabbing, but I'm going to try Fullscreen tonight to see if it helps. Last option is to turn graphics settings down for this section, though I'd rather not do that.

Anyone else had issues with crashes in Novigrad?

Munki

Figured it out. Had to download it as a dlc file. Also in ng+ there aren't any question marks on the map. Is that because I got to them in my first play through?

What carries over:
All player EXP, including level (if lower than 30, you’ll be bumped up)
Inventory equipment, including Witcher gear sets
Stash items not covered in the ‘doesn’t carry over’ list
Alchemy crafting components
Alchemy recipes and crafting schematics
Money
Consumables such as food and drink

What doesn’t carry over:
Letters and books
Monster trophies
Quest items (such as Keira’s lamp or medallion)
Gwent cards, including those purchased
Difficulty level, you’ll be able to reselect it
Map items such as way-points, signposts etc...

Must have been a glitch, they're showing up now. Unless that's just how it's always been, they don't pop up until a certain point in the story and I've just never noticed

Must have been a glitch, they're showing up now. Unless that's just how it's always been, they don't pop up until a certain point in the story and I've just never noticed

I don't think they show up until you've done a couple of the early missions with Vessemir. Could be remembering that wrong, of course.

Man this game is soooo good.

Somewhere in the 3rd act (beginning) and I feel super ashamed for getting tired out the first time. I also feel really sad that Im so far in the story because I want more.

Ive been loving it. And the side quests are still solid, even though they are starting to feel samey, and some of them don't have such a satisfying ending-- like the one with the Wolf Lady bandits threatening the village because some guy did her wrong.... It just ends really flat.

I enjoy

-"Hey, there is this mysterious thing happening..."
-Let me explore this and find a totally awesome creature with a really cool backstory

It's just really fun and Im easily enthralled by the ghosts and demons. Ive begun to grasp the basic loop of the quests, as it seems the side quests are just a bunch of random ass stories where the choices don't seem to ultimately matter, while the main story has some pretty big choices to be made.

Of course, I havent played the DLCs at all, but started the one about the Sewers.. decided not to touch it until I finish the vanilla game.

One thing really bugging me about the main story so far: Spoilers for Djikstra's arc / Radovid

Why on earth did Djikstra reveal his plans in front of Geralt and then dismiss him? And then (if you chose), why did he fight you, expecting to kill you? For such a master thief, he came off completely stupid to challenge Geralt and turn on Roche in front of Geralt.

I thought it was a bit unsatisfying and I feel like they wanted to nip the story in the bud to move to the larger story ahead.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Something just came to mind. I remember skipping through some trailer or gameplay demo before the Witcher 3 came out. There was a scene were Geralt was talking with a fella looking a bit like a priest of sorts, old geezer, rather unhealthy look, bit like Dethmold. He was lying in a crypt of sorts. Like he was just dug up or about to be put in. I can't remember ever stumbling upon this in the actual game. Anyone recognize this scene?

Something just came to mind. I remember skipping through some trailer or gameplay demo before the Witcher 3 came out. There was a scene were Geralt was talking with a fella looking a bit like a priest of sorts, old geezer, rather unhealthy look, bit like Dethmold. He was lying in a crypt of sorts. Like he was just dug up or about to be put in. I can't remember ever stumbling upon this in the actual game. Anyone recognize this scene?
Yes, it's in Novigrad sewer. Easy to miss.

One thing really bugging me about the main story so far: Spoilers for Djikstra's arc / Radovid

Why on earth did Djikstra reveal his plans in front of Geralt and then dismiss him? And then (if you chose), why did he fight you, expecting to kill you? For such a master thief, he came off completely stupid to challenge Geralt and turn on Roche in front of Geralt.

I thought it was a bit unsatisfying and I feel like they wanted to nip the story in the bud to move to the larger story ahead.
They never learn ;) Yeah that part was completely hamfisted, but I suspect it may have had something to do with the cut content (there are a few guys here who know a lot about that, so hopefully they can weigh in).

Originally I believe
Iorveth was supposed to play a big part in Novigrad, and I personally suspect that moment of betrayal would have involved Iorveth as well, in which case Djikstra's position would have made a bit more sense, with Geralt having a more palpable choice.

With the game the way it is, you have somebody you actively dislike in one side, and your friends on the other, and Djikstra expects you to side with the guy you actively dislike.

With Iorveth on Djikstra's side at least you would've had to make a tougher choice, and Djikstra would seem like less of an imbecile in thinking you might support Iorveth and the non-Temerian Northern realms over Roche and Temeria, particularly with non-human treatment being an issue that was front and centre in Novigrad (and the Witcher 2 history with Roche/Iorveth).

killatopak

So I got this nice glowing sword that turns gold on the 10th strike and I like it a lot despite not being a Witcher gear.

Are there any more unique equipment that aren't Witcher gear but are much better individually?

jtb

Banned
It's such a shame we'll never get the cut Iorveth quests. Novigrad is so enormous, and so empty. At least Oxenfurt, which was equally empty, was populated with some ridiculously fun quests in Hearts of Stone.

Plus, the plot of Witcher 2 is basically incomprehensible is you only played the game on Roche's side.

Also I hate how overpowed the guards are in the game. Doesn't make any sense. It's not like there's anything to steal or non-essential NPCs to kill.

@endless

Im avoiding that spoiler since I haven't beat the game yet. Curious about the cut content though.

Yes, that scene felt very poor to me. Just poorly paced... I really wanted it to be a little drawn out subplot, but alas.

Also, can someone remind me who/what happens to Foltest?

I can't recall him as its been a long time since I played the early game, and I didn't understand the characters as I do now (thanks in large part to the Gwent beta).

MartyStu

So I got this nice glowing sword that turns gold on the 10th strike and I like it a lot despite not being a Witcher gear.

Are there any more unique equipment that aren't Witcher gear but are much better individually?

Yeah, a few pieces.

Have you played HoS yet?

Munki

That would be the Aerondight my friend, the BEST sword in the game.

Aerondight + Severance = Death to all that stand in your way

DemWalls

not sure if its because of the Pro or that im playing on actually good tv but the game looks like a painting?

I don't think it's because of the Pro since the enhancements are still to be released, but yeah, it's well known that the game looks damn good. And the console version is pretty far behind the PC one.

Moppeh

Banned
So I just beat the game and while it has a few flaws here or there, the game is a goddamn masterpiece.

I got the bad ending, and to be honest, I'm glad I did after reading about the other endings online. This ending felt very profound in a way that I doubt the others would have.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
finished the game and both expansions today, pretty good stuff, but got a quick question about the vampires (blood and wine spoilers i guess):

were the higher vampires established as being some sort of super powerful beings that can only be killed by one of their own in one of the earlier games or somewhere in the base game? because all the vampire info dumps in blood and wine just made me go "uh, since when?". i remember killing two higher vampires in the base game and have no memory of there being any mention of this. i never played witcher 1 and 2, but just going from witcher 3 to b&w felt like a total retcon.

i do remember the bestiary claiming that higher vampires are totally dangerous and powerful, but the two that you can actually fight (that i know of) just turned into those giant bat things and were your basic monsters. one even bragged about killing a witcher hundreds of years ago before going down like a bitch.

DemWalls

finished the game and both expansions today, pretty good stuff, but got a quick question about the vampires (blood and wine spoilers i guess):

were the higher vampires established as being some sort of super powerful beings that can only be killed by one of their own in one of the earlier games or somewhere in the base game? because all the vampire info dumps in blood and wine just made me go "uh, since when?". i remember killing two higher vampires in the base game and have no memory of there being any mention of this. i never played witcher 1 and 2, but just going from witcher 3 to b&w felt like a total retcon.

i do remember the bestiary claiming that higher vampires are totally dangerous and powerful, but the two that you can actually fight (that i know of) just turned into those giant bat things and were your basic monsters. one even bragged about killing a witcher hundreds of years ago before going down like a bitch.

The detail about higher vampires only being killed by their kind is certainly something they added in BaW, as it's not mentioned even in the books. Guess they added it to give more "weight" to the Dettlaff/Regis story, and how it can possibly end, and they can explain the ones in the base game by saying that they're not really dead (even if in-game they disappear due to technical limitations), because that's what happens to Regis in the books too. By the end of the saga Regis is, by all accounts, dead. It was only some time later that Sapkowski said that he wasn't truly dead, and that's why CDPR could include him without coming up with some forced reason.
Basically, they're immortal, but it's not like it takes them minutes to recover after being seriously injured. For example, it would have taken Dettlaff quite some time to heal from what Geralt did to him in the final battle.

Violater

Finally beat the game, thanks to the holiday weekend. Only took me 183 hours!
Shed manly tears when I realized Ciri was still alive.
Amazing series and I hope we get more games from it. CDPR can get my money any damn time.
Game of the forever.
I shall save the expansion pass for the Christmas break.

Juraash

So I just finished the entirety of the game. I had left the end of Blood and Wine hanging for while, but the weekend allowed me to get back to it. I'm just going to post a bunch of thoughts about the experience as a whole. I'll spoiler tag it so I don't ruin anything for anyone still working through game.

So the base game was a really fantastic experience. I enjoyed how much wiggle room they give you in terms of how to play Geralt. Even in a world as bleak as The Witcher's you can still be a pretty decent person. I played the whole thing in Polish, and I really felt like there was a ton of subtlety given to Geralt, especially when he was kind. I ultimately got the ending where Ciri survives and becomes a Witcher, which was about as satisfying an ending as I could have hoped for. I also stuck entirely with Yen romance wise, I'll touch more on that later.

After I finished the base game I dropped into Hearts of Stone which was pretty fun. That said, the story was shades of really dark grey. It just felt dark and even more bleak than the rest of the game. While some of the stuff in it was good, I think I ultimately enjoyed it less for this reason. I saved what's his face at the end, the Master of Mirrors or w/e seemed like a seriously bad dude. So I tried for the "happier" ending in this one too.

Now Blood and Wine is the complete opposite of the above. A huge portion of this game is happy endings and fairy tale type stuff, which was nice. I also felt like I could play Geralt closer to how I did in the base game. The ending I got for this was both sisters living and Detlaff ultimately dying. This dlc was odd for me, I wasn't sure I was loving it until I got to the last 3 or so main quests. That said the ending conversation with Regis was amazing and Geralt's look and smile at the player right before the credits was really perfect. And THEN you go home and (in my case) Yen is there and she and Geralt get the happy ending that's hinted at in the final sequence of the base came. It actually got me misty eyed.

So yeah, it's an amazing, amazing experience. I wound up getting every trophy, which is rare for me, and it has cemented itself as one of my all time favorites. Geralt is fantastic, Yen is the best, CDPR are fucking geniuses and I'm so glad I finally got around to playing this game.

The1Ski

I'm just under level 30 and finished
the big Battle at KM
and, I assume, close to finishing the main story line.

I've read that this is a great time to start the hearts of stone dlc and then save the blood and wine dlc for endgame after completing the main story.

Does this sound like a good plan?

BTW: So glad I got back into this game. I lost interest in PS4 on release but got back in on PC with the GOTY edition recently. Higher graphic fidelity and quality headphones just brings the experience together all the more. I'm pushing through main story lines (mostly) and still at 60 hours. I'm really excited to start a new game + run and hit every single question mark on the map.

Munki

the big Battle at KM

I've read that this is a great time to start the hearts of stone dlc and then save the blood and wine dlc for endgame after completing the main story.

BTW: So glad I got back into this game. I lost interest in PS4 on release but got back in on PC with the GOTY edition recently. Higher graphic fidelity and quality headphones just brings the experience together all the more. I'm pushing through main story lines (mostly) and still at 60 hours. I'm really excited to start a new game + run and hit every single question mark on the map.

You are roughly 3/4 through the game.

Yes, as there are some cool tidbits in HoS that can only be triggered before you complete the main campaign.

leng jai

the big Battle at KM

Have you downloaded any mods? It's no Skyrim scene but there are still a lot of them that make the game objectively better.

dan2026

Does anyone have any knowledge on the Borderless Windowed mode in this game?
I am trying to use it along with limiting the framerate with RTSS to 60.

As I understand it, it should eliminate all screen tearing and yet it doesn't.
Its very strange and I can't wrap my head around it.

Top Bottom