• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So I just picked this up tonight. Is there anyway to figure out what content to skip so you don't over level?

While you may overlevel some, the game will eventually catch up since you can gain next to no XP from quests which you are overlevelled.

Just got to Velen and the game has its hooks in me. The writing/quests are awesome, like figuring out the backstory of some lord I haven't met and what led him to become a murderous drunk based on dialogue from multiple quests, of which some of both the dialogue and quests were totally optional, was incredible. I couldn't believe how intertwined and fleshed out they made it...and not only that but the politics and character motivations are well thought out and morally ambiguous a lot of the time. Combat, while definitely a bit loose and too magnetic, is pretty satisfying, especially when you cleave dudes in half or lop off their heads. The griffin fight was really fun too. I never mess around with bullshit mini games in RPGs but holy shit even Gwent is fun as hell!

Most of my issues at this point are purely technical; roach controls kinda iffy, actually so does Geralt to an extent, button prompts can be finicky, some frame rate issues, etc. but they pale in comparison to everything the game is doing right. I can't believe I got Bloodborne, this, and shortly MGS V all in the same year. Incredible stuff.

If you have the 1.07 patch I suggest switching the gameplay movement controls to "alternative". It has a more snappy feel than the default. I switched and cannot look back.

I also suggest tackling all quests around your level. The secondary and witcher ones are fun to do and teach you the games mechanics. They will keep you busy for a long time. Try to follow the main quest line around its recommended level and the romance options too.

Riposte

The Witcher 3's recreation of Kaer Morhen got me very nostalgic.

EDIT: Actually, as soon as I beat the game, I went watched the beginning of The Witcher 1.

So I just picked this up tonight. Is there anyway to figure out what content to skip so you don't over level?

Don't skip anything! Increase the difficulty as you level up, but be prepared to be over-leveled eventually. All quests are worth doing; no reason to cut yourself out of the content of the game. There are no fetch quests.

Radec

Just do Broken Bones or Death March difficulty. Even if you out-level some enemies, they can still kill you if you're careless.

If you have the 1.07 patch I suggest switching the gameplay movement controls to "alternative". It has a more snappy feel than the default. I switched and cannot look back.

I also suggest tackling all quests around your level. The secondary and witcher ones are fun to do and teach you the games mechanics. They will keep you busy for a long time. Try to follow the main quest line around its recommended level and the romance options too.

Oh cool I'll check out the alternate movement thanks.

And yeah, quest wise that's pretty much what I've been doing!

Riposte

Just do Broken Bones or Death March difficulty. Even if you out-level some enemies, they can still kill you if you're careless.

Haven't beaten Death March, I don't see how it is excluded from the problems with over-leveling/over-gearing. You have to more than merely careless to get killed depending on the level difference.

If you don't want to overlevel, you can't do most of the game's side content. The main questline gives you a huge amount of exp, especially towards the end. I was slightly overleveled just doing that and side quests that branch off it, plus some exploring here and there. My experience was discovering a lot of areas and quests, then ignoring them.

I know there's a mod that cuts your exp gain down, I would recommend it if you don't care about playing the game as intended, for what that's worth.

EDIT: Reasons of State is a huge blemish on the Novigrad storyline. Really shitty conclusion.

Thorgal

question : are there different quests that will lead to the same conclusion ?

So i just started the ladies of the wood quest and now that i met the old lady who you saw in the game play trailer i get the impression That the path i am taking is different then that from the trailer since i haven't met Dijkstra yet .

lord quas

I'm about 65 hours in now and... this has to be one of my favorite games ever. I haven't felt this absorbed since Dragon Age: Origins. I feel like playing Witcher 1 and 2 again, which I started but never finished for some reason

Omg the alternate movement is so much better.

Also, I read through all the patch notes for 1.07 and I can't imagine playing the game before all this stuff lol

question : are there different quests that will lead to the same conclusion ?

So i just started the ladies of the wood quest and now that i met the old lady who you saw in the game play trailer i get the impression That the path i am taking is different then that from the trailer since i haven't met Dijkstra yet .

I don't believe so, I could be forgetting a specific case though.

The guy you are asking about, well his playground is more Northerly.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I cannot for the life of me get a ducking necker warrior liver to spawn.

I've fought the necker warrior from the strange beast contract four times and it will not drop a fucking liver.

Coreda

I cannot for the life of me get a ducking necker warrior liver to spawn.

I've fought the necker warrior from the strange beast contract four times and it will not drop a fucking liver.

I had the same problem finding Nekker Hearts at one point. Ended up searching for tips and found a grouping of Nekker monster nests that contained them. Thankfully the monster nest bug/feature still works in 1.07 where if all but one item is looted from the nest the items will restock.

Edit: this is the spot between Reardon Manor and Banek. Can't remember if they contained livers.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I had the same problem finding Nekker Hearts at one point. Ended up searching for tips and found a grouping of Nekker monster nests that contained them. Thankfully the monster nest bug/feature still works in 1.07 where if all but one item is looted from the nest the items will restock.
I have a ton of hearts but that boss fight should have given me a liver. That's all I need to craft enhanced draconian oil.

Philippo

Man that quest chain where you hunt down the wraith at the lighthouse, then shit goes down at the tavern, get jailed and freed, and end up taking allucinatory herbs in a cave was so frigging awesome.

Get the pearl before you start the mission.

Unfortunately i already started the quest and had no previous autosaves.
Will wait for a patch :(

Almost at the end, and I'm just really forcing myself to finish it at this point. Amongst other problems I'm not really liking the story that much, especially with how terribly it's structured. I had a bigger emotional response to some poor old NPC that I screwed out of seeing the mythical white whale than anything that has actually happened in the main quest line.

Berto

Finished today after 150 hours.

There is not really much to say... this was my favorite game I ever played.
That last hug between Geralt and Ciri was so sad
, such a bittersweet ending that was, but a fitting end to the saga.

Now I got that feeling I had after beating Dark Souls. Now what? Back to mediocrity :(

Thorgal

I don't believe so, I could be forgetting a specific case though.

The guy you are asking about, well his playground is more Northerly.

no , i meant like in the 35 minute demo where you get the location of
Johnny from Dijkstra but since i started out in Velen and haven't set a foot yet in the north , i got the quest from another place ( can't really remember where though .)

murgo

To me, it feels like this game has no end. If the statistics are correct, I've already spent over 150 hours and I just did the
battle at Kaer Morhen
. Been playing for almost 3 months now and I'm still enjoying every second of it.

Loving this game but the one thing I really hate is the strict fall damage.

I have died so much on the mountains of skellige because of unseen drops is frustrating. They aren't always high drops either but you can't fall more than a few feet it seems.

Just finished. I got the
Ciri becomes a Witcher ending, which sounds better than her becoming an empress.
Other things:

-
The Baron killed himself
-
Keira is off on a wacky adventure with Lambert
-
Redania is a vassal of Nilfgaard and Emhyr purged his enemies
-
Skellige is prospering under Celyse
-
Geralt lives the comfy life with Triss in Kovir

I liked the ending, but I can't say I'm a fan of the game.

Coreda

Does the game itself track hours at all. I'm playing a GOG copy by itself without using Galaxy.

In the inventory press C. I wouldn't rely on it for exact play time though as it's pretty inaccurate for most players.

Killer mutant monster-killer that's gone through harshest training regime.

Dies from a 10-foot fall.

The jump trick works most of the time for me, although sheer drops off some high places are insta-death.

Hoplatee

I am pretty sure this has been asked often but I am wondering something about the romancing and stuff with another run in mind / savepoint. I tried to google it a little bit but had to stop before I got spoiled on other aspects.

I currently am level 21 and there is not much left for me at this moment in Velen. So that means meeting Yen (Destination : Skellige) and well, that means sexeh time. I fully intend to romance her (even though I have a weak spot for Triss, who doesn't!) but I also want to do a run where I romance Triss from a previous save file. If I have sex with Yen (only first time) will I still be able to romance Triss later without her rejecting me? As far as I know you commit to either of them if you say you love them at some point, correct? I ask this for when I reload some save for the 'Triss' run (did kiss her obviously). I dont know how fast I have to decide but if the first bang won't matter to Triss it would save a lot of time I guess.. Replaying 20 hours or just 5, huge difference! (Made up hours, I honestly have no idea how far in I am)

I am aware that i should note love them both and I dont intend to. Just want to know if the first sexy time with Yen would blow every chance with Triss and for save files / time it would take to pick the other.

DNAbro

I just finished the game and wow did I love it. So happy with the ending I got. Some of the most engrossing storytelling I've seen in a game. CD Projekt Red did a fantastic job.

I am pretty sure this has been asked often but I am wondering something about the romancing and stuff with another run in mind / savepoint. I tried to google it a little bit but had to stop before I got spoiled on other aspects.

I currently am level 21 and there is not much left for me at this moment in Velen. So that means meeting Yen (Destination : Skellige) and well, that means sexeh time. I fully intend to romance her (even though I have a weak spot for Triss, who doesn't!) but I also want to do a run where I romance Triss from a previous save file. If I have sex with Yen (only first time) will I still be able to romance Triss later without her rejecting me? As far as I know you commit to either of them if you say you love them at some point, correct? I ask this for when I reload some save for the 'Triss' run (did kiss her obviously). I dont know how fast I have to decide but if the first bang won't matter to Triss it would save a lot of time I guess.. Replaying 20 hours or just 5, huge difference! (Made up hours, I honestly have no idea how far in I am)

I am aware that i should note love them both and I dont intend to. Just want to know if the first sexy time with Yen would blow every chance with Triss and for save files / time it would take to pick the other.

In case you still need an answer. No, it does not affect you're chances with Triss if you decide to sleep with Yen. First time is free.

Triss is the correct choice. :p

Just finished. I got the
Ciri becomes a Witcher ending, which sounds better than her becoming an empress.
Other things:

-
The Baron killed himself
-
Keira is off on a wacky adventure with Lambert
-
Redania is a vassal of Nilfgaard and Emhyr purged his enemies
-
Skellige is prospering under Celyse
-
Geralt lives the comfy life with Triss in Kovir

I liked the ending, but I can't say I'm a fan of the game.

Exact same ending as me, everything wrapped up really well.

I'm on Level 9 and I'm enjoying the game, but I think my Geralt may be a bit too credulous.

A
Towerful of Mice
Spoilers:
I didn't think the ghost lady at the top of the tower was at all suspicious so I took the bones to her lover. Whoops.

The Whipsering Hillock Spoilers:
I freed the tree spirit because it offered to save the children, looking back on it I think that tree spirit may have been up to some shenanigans.

Riposte

I wish they tied
Alvin/Jacques
/The Witcher 1 more into the ending phases of the game. It seemed it was on the tip of their tongue (and is given a tiny reference earlier), such as during the "Through Time and Space" (if I recall the name correctly) quest. Left me wanting closure and feeling the trilogy could be a little more cohesive. The conclusion and implications of The Witcher 1 is the strongest set up for The Witcher 3's. One might say they wanted to avoid confusing players, but that's kind of silly given how much shit they pull from the books and throw at you.

I tried to beat the very high level griffon at north Skellige at level 30, but that's not happening lol. Guess I'm done with the game, although a part of me is tempted by New Game+ starting at level 30.

The ending of TW3 makes no sense if you think about for more than 30 seconds. The entire act 3 felt like "we have ran out of time and need to release this thing so let's cobble together the assets we have to wrap this thing up and hope most people don't notice".

Berto

The ending of TW3 makes no sense if you think about for more than 30 seconds. The entire act 3 felt like "we have ran out of time and need to release this thing so let's cobble together the assets we have to wrap this thing up and hope most people don't notice".
How so?

Novoitus

Banned
ayy I finally got around to beating it.

Got the Ciri living and becoming a witcher ending. I really hope I get to see more of what has happened through DLC or something. I mean, Triss romance felt like a huge thing but you straight up don't talk to her or see her at all near the end of the game, would just have been nice to see their house and such. I'm probably asking for too much but I just want fucking more of this game. Loved it so much.

Also wondering, is the DLC going to be post-ending content? Or have they not talked about that yet?

I could probably write 5 pages on it.

But since I don't feel like making that effort I'll just bring up the final fight.

If Ciri's goal at the end is to "defeat the White Frost", then the Wild Hunt's entire reason for going after her is because they want to use her to save their people from the White Frost, then why are the two sides fighting at the end? And what does Eredin mean "he's deceived us both"? Deceived about what?

Hoplatee

I am pretty annoyed at two bugs. Can't complete 'Hey wanna look at my stuff?' and some Scavenger hunt where I need to go into the basement to collect trousers diagrams in some Blacksmith house (near
Whoreson's
house) but I just can not open it. Doesn't light up / give me the option. Sidequests so in the end it wont matter but but but... :(

In case you still need an answer. No, it does not affect you're chances with Triss if you decide to sleep with Yen. First time is free.

Triss is the correct choice. :p

Thank you! Glad it's 'free'. Guess I will just swap it around and go for Triss the first run then :)

Absolutely loving the game so far. It already feels like I am nearing the end but barely even set foot in Skellige so I guess I still have a looooong time to go!

Did the black pearl quest yesterday, tried doing it normally a few times but the dude always died before I could get there.

Then I tried getting the pearl before and twice he got instagibbed before I could even react, the third time I managed to aard them over and complete it. Man whoever come up with that quest was smoking something.

zer0das

Banned

But since I don't feel like making that effort I'll just bring up the final fight.

If Ciri's goal at the end is to "defeat the White Frost", then the Wild Hunt's entire reason for going after her is because they want to use her to save their people from the White Frost, then why are the two sides fighting at the end? And what does Eredin mean "he's deceived us both"? Deceived about what?

I really don't think you understand the Wild Hunt's motivation here... because that's not what it is.

The wild hunt boss think that that other elf wants to keep ciri power for himself, he's wrong of course

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am enjoying my Deathmarch run more so than my normal run. I'm on level 22 and rarely ever die. Deathmarch has taught me to evade and counter instead of just rolling out of the way consuming stamina.

The Axii sign gets abused like no other. Against enemies like rock trolls who can do major damage if they land a hit are pretty trivial, stunning them with Axii allows you to get in a ton of hits. It's also hilarious using it to take out bandit camps. There have been quite a few occasions where I only had to kill one enemy after mind controlling other enemies to do the dirty work.

The combat still sucks when forced to fight multiple enemies in closed quarters,although as long as you remain blocking you can usually evade your way into a more favorable position.

Also drop rates of certain items seems to have changed since earlier patches. Enemies will not drop lesser red mutagen. Level 22 and still have not come across enough to build a greater red mutagen. Enemies drop green and blue at will, but red almost never happens. Same with Nekker Warrior liver, the necker warriors refuse to drop them. I even did the contract in Skellige where you fight the Nekker boss in a cave and I still got no drop. I even reloaded the fight many times.

Anyone have any advice. Tried using google methods but nothing really worked.

Top Bottom