• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

01mainbannerh4l6t.png

The Witcher is a series of fantasy novels written by polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski, published between 1992 and 2013. They follow the adventures of Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher.
Realizing the potential of the rich world created by Andrzej Sapkowski, polish videogame developer CDProjekt Red decided to create a rpg based on the Witcher universe.

02gamesbannerv2aif.png

02athewitcherlqykk.png

The Witcher (2007)

With a story set after the novels, The Witcher was released for PC in 2007, followed by an enhanced edition in 2008.

02bthewitcher2w7y9v.png

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (2011)

The sequel, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, was released for PC in 2011 and also received an enhanced edition in 2012, which was ported to the Xbox 360 in the same year.
Both games were praised for their perfect depiction of The Witcher universe and deep rpg elements.
All updates and dlc provided for the games are completely free. There’s also no form of DRM in these games. If making amazing games wasn’t already enough, here’s another reason to support this fantastic studio.

02cthewitcher3gll2s.png

The Witcher III: Wild Hunt (2015)

The Witcher 3 is set to arrive on May 19 2015 for PC, Xbox 1 and PS4 and is expected to set a new standard for role-playing games.

The Witcher 3 Sword of Destiny trailer

The Witcher 3 Killing Monsters Cinematic Trailer

35 Minutes of Gameplay (HD 1080p)

02dthewitcheradventurukxft.png

The Witcher Adventure Game (2014)

The Witcher Adventure Game is a board game. It has a physical version and is also available digitally for PC, MAC, Android and iOS.

03novelsbanneryix4u.png

03aauthoriczwt.png

If you’re considering getting into the franchise, reading the novels will considerably enhance your experience.
To preface, let me clarify that the first 2 books are a collection of short stories. Two of these stories, one in each book, serve as the introduction to the saga which is made up of the following 5 books.
In 2013, Sapkowski revisited the saga by writing a prequel, Season of Storms.

Not all of the novels have been translated to English yet.

You can find the books translated into the following languages:

Czech, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Russian, Lithuanian, Estonian, Finnish, French, Spanish, Italian, Bulgarian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Hungarian, Dutch, Chinese and obviously in the original language, Polish.

Please keep in mind that not all of the books are available in all of these languages at this point in time.

The Spanish and Czech translations are generally regarded as the best.

If you’re wondering in what order you should read the books and which ones have an English version, look no further:

03bthelastwishelzbl.png

The Last Wish (Original Release: 1993 / English Release: 2007)

03ctheswordofdestinykgxr0.png

The Sword of Destiny (Original Release: 1992 / English Release: 2015)

03dbloodofelvesbmax7.png

Blood of Elves (Original Release: 1994 / English Release: 2008)

03etimeofcontempt0lxjq.png

Time of Contempt (Original Release: 1995 / English Release: 2013)

03dbatpismoffireixyrk.png

Baptism of Fire (Original Release: 1996 / English Release: 2014)

03ftheswallowstowerusy7u.png

The Swallow's Tower (Original Release: 1997 / English Release: 2016)

03gladyofthelakew1ydm.png

Lady of the Lake (Original Release: 1999 / English Release: 2017)

stormseasonq2un2.jpg

Season of Storms (Original Release: 2013 / English Release: tba, Spanish release: April 23, 2015)

*All covers presented here (except Season of Storms) are english mock-ups from the spanish versions, in chronological order of the events occuring in them, and each country may differ in covers, release dates and order of release. The spanish softcover version of Lady of the Lake was split into 2 parts but then released as a single book in the hardcover version.*

Please note that The Last Wish was published after Sword of Destiny but should be read before.
Even though Sword of Destiny was skipped by the english publisher initially, fortunately an English version was released later, in May 2015 to be exact.
English versions of the remaining books should happen in the next couple of years.

You can download the high resolution images from the spanish cover arts, drawn by Alejandro Colucci, here:
Geralt of Rivia (769x1134)
Yennefer of Vengerberg (769x1134)
Jaskier/Dandelion (769x1134)
Ciri (769x1134)
Milva (769x1134)
Regis (769x1134)
Cahir (769x1134)
Triss Merigold (769x1134)

04charactersbannerb5bql.png

04ageraltb3b4u.png

Geralt, also known as the White Wolf, is the character the player controls in the games and the protagonist of this story. He’s a Witcher, a professional monster slayer. Witchers undergo very strict training and also mutations to make them the perfect killing machines. They fight using swords and a rudimentary form of magic known as signs.
Geralt is a legend among Witchers and though people think of him as ruthless killing machine with no emotions, the truth is very different.

04cciri71lox.png

Cirilla Fiona Elen Riannon, also known as The Lion Cub of Cintra or The Child of Destiny.
Tied to Geralt’s fate by Destiny itself, a dreadful and misterious chain of events forces Geralt to adopt and raise her. Though Geralt is the protagonist of this story, Ciri is the driving force of the events in the Witcher universe. She has the fate of the world weighing on her shoulders.

04byenneferb0y1i.png

A very powerful and incredibly beautiful sorceress, she and Geralt are lovers but they have a troubled relationship, even though they care deeply about each other. She’s also a mother figure to Ciri.

04djaskierr1z54.png

Jaskier, known as Dandelion in the english version.
A famous minstrel and poet is unlikely company for a witcher but as it turns out, Dandelion is a close friend of Geralt’s and shared a lot of his adventures.
Though Geralt gives the impression that the bard annoys him more than anything, he actually cares a lot about him.
Dandelion is useless in a fight but his fame and connections can come in handy sometimes. Though he’s a coward by nature, he won’t hesitate (much) putting his life on the line to help Geralt.
Would spend his entire life in a brothel if he could afford it.

04etrissfqxar.png

Triss is also a sorceress and though she fancies Geralt, she reluctantly accepts that his heart belongs to her friend Yennefer.
Like most sorceresses, her beauty is astonishing. She also helped raise Ciri and is a close friend who can be trusted in times of need.
In the first 2 games, Yennefer is absent and Geralt and Triss are in a sort of “friends with benefits” relationship.

04fzoltanu5zzq.png

A dwarf with a very strong personality, he's also a close friend of Geralt's and is never afraid of speaking his mind or using his axe in a fight.

04gvesemirp0aqw.png

The oldest Witcher alive (no Witcher has been known to die of old age though) he's a father figure and mentor to all the other Witchers trained at Kaer Morhen, the keep where Witchers of the Wolf School are trained.

04hemhyrqaaju.png

The emperor of Nilfgaard. A cunning ruler who has already waged war against the Northern Kingdoms on two occasions, with the goal of conquering them. The second war, which involved Geralt, Ciri and all the others, takes place during the novels.
Emhyr also plays an important part in the events depicted in the second game and has his own reasons to get his hands on Ciri.
In The Witcher 3, we finally get to meet him face to face.

04ibwildhunt6suy4.png

Leader of a group of specters known as The Wild Hunt. A lot of rumours surround these misterious entities but little is known about them.
The Wild Hunt has crossed paths with Geralt on several occasions but now that it has set its sights on Ciri, the next confrontation will have to be the last.

05worldbannerm6uvz.png

05amapaeud8.png

The Witcher world is divided into two major regions, the Northern Kingdoms and the Nilfgaardian Empire.
Both regions are separated by the Yaruga river.

Geralt's adventures take place in the Northern Kingdoms, which are made up of Temeria, Aedirn, Cintra, Kaedwen, Redania, Kovir and Poviss, Lyria and Rivia.
There are also other Minor Kingdoms and Principalities

The first game takes place mostly in the Kingdom of Temeria, which is ruled by King Foltest.

The second game takes place on several locations along the Pontar Valley which cuts across the middle of the Northern Kingdoms. The Pontar river acts as a border between the North’s biggest kingdoms.

The third game will take place in 3 areas:

No man’s land is an area already conquered by the Nilfgaardian empire when the game starts. It’s an area ravaged by war that spreads across Cintra, Temeria and Redania, kingdoms that have lost their rulers and were therefore the empire’s primary targets.
Novigrad is a large city located in the kingdom of Redania.
The Skellige Islands, which are located in the sea to the west.

Community spotlight:

The Witcher story recap (tons of spoilers for both the games and the books)

The best of Vernon Roche

The Witcher lore series

The following summary establishes a chronological order of all the events in the books. Keep in mind that you should read the books in the order posted above, this is just putting the short stories and events within the books in chronological order, including stuff like flashbacks, etc.
Thanks to blueteainfusion for the heads up.
Source

1. The Last Wish The Grain of Truth -
disenchantment of Nivellen
2. The Last Wish The Lesser Evil -
stay in Blaviken
3. The Last Wish The Edge of the World
4. The Last Wish The Last Wish -
first meeting of Geralt and Yennefer
5. Season of Storms - June-August 1251
6. The Last Wish A Matter of Price - autumn (September?) 1252 -
Pavetta is already pregnant.
7. The Last Wish The Witcher - Year 1253
8. The Last Wish The Voice of Reason - Year 1253
9. Sword of Destiny The Bounds of Reason -
Geralt meets Yennefer after 4 years – year 1254
10. Sword of Destiny A Shard of Ice
11. Sword of Destiny The Eternal Fire
12. Sword of Destiny A Little Dedication
13. Sword of Destiny The Sword of Destiny - Spring / Summer 1262
14. Sword of Destiny Something More -
year after the end of the war with Nilfgaard - early autumn 1264 - a meeting of Geralt and Ciri
Geralt's flashbacks in the latter story:
meeting with Calanthe - Ciri is six years old - year 1259
meeting of Geralt and Yennefer at the feast of Belleteyn
meeting of Geralt and Dandelion over Jaruga – War with Nilfgaard - Autumn, year 1263
15. Blood of Elves
16. Time of Contempt
17. Baptism of Fire
18. The Swallow's Tower
19. Lady of the Lake

Credits:

A very, very special thanks to fellow gaffer and Witcher fan SpacePirate Ridley for providing all the images and banners in this OT.

Last but not least, please make sure you ALWAYS use spoiler tags both when discussing the games and the books.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome thread. I've been going through the first game currently (with second I plan to play and finish next month) to refresh myself for the third chapter in May. I forgotten how much fun the first chapter is with all its mechanics and combat system (I am a lover here) and done most stuff now. Currently on the last chapter so there's about ten hours left for me to finish and then it's onto the second title!

One thing that needs applauding is the writing quality and how well consistent CD has been from the first to the soon end. All the hints of the Wild Hunt, destiny, the world (all based on the novels of course) seems like it will easily pay off huge and deliver big time. I don't see this becoming another Mass Effect 3.

Working on my second playthrough of TW2 on hard (Iorveth's route). Also reading The Last Wish.

I played and enjoyed TW1 but playing 2 while reading the books was what made me fall in love with the world and the characters. I'm always looking for more avenues to discuss the series!

aember

All the books are available in Lithuanian? I'll have to give the bookstores some visits, last time I checked (two years ago) I only found one.

All the books are available in Lithuanian? I'll have to give the bookstores some visits, last time I checked (two years ago) I only found one.

I hope that info is accurate, I wasn't able to check if they had all been published in all the languages at this point, though I've seen it said on the net.
Any feedback from people in those countries would be much appreciated. I'll edit the OP if necessary.

I'm reading Blood of Elves right now. The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny are amazing. I really love the universe and the characters.

milena87

Unfortunately we're still missing the last 2 books here in Italy, apart from the new Season of Storms book of curse.

The Swallow's Tower (La Torre della Rondine) will come out tomorrow, though :)
Then La Signora del Lago probably next year and the prequel in 2017, considering that they've been releasing 1 book per year.

Anyway, I love the world and the characters of The Witcher. I'm really glad that I decided to pick up the game back in 2007, one of the best decisions ever :p
Can't wait for The Witcher 3!

The_Monk

Nicely done OP, really good thread, thank you/obrigado! Also, thanks to the creators of the banners.

I have never read any of the books and I've always been curious, I might check some local stores like Fnac to see if they have the original English versions in the Fantasy section since I've seen other titles in there.

I was also just reminded about the Adventure game. It's the only Witcher game I do not own and I hope I can get it soon. :)

Anon67

I like this thread a lot. Nicely done, OP!

Also, I've played the first two games and I'm just wondering, have any of you noticed the voice actress change for Triss? The transition from her deeper voice to what it is now (which I think is somewhat annoying) was somewhat jarring since I was so used to the original. Also anyone think that Geralt's voice acting in W2 worse than in W1?

Yay!, I finally see it with all the text written. This two days making the banners for this have been fun.

Hope all the info Dragon has written informs anyone interested in going deeper into the witcher's lore, it really is a great ride.

EDIT
Just read about Season of Storms, seems to be a prequel with young Geralt and at the same time seems to explain what happened after Lady of the Lake's ending. I know he said the games and books are different things, but maybe he settled and tried to write a bridge between both? He is a marketer and says the best thing he knows is selling (thats how he wrote the first Geralt small stories, becuase he knew he was creating a character that could sell), so that wouldnt surprise me lol

im reading the english fan translation of Swallows Tower right now and its pretty good. There was a big grammar update in november that fixed a lot of syntax and punctuation.

Cant wait for the third game.

I wish i could play a tactical/Infinity engine rpg with the Rats.

Nicely done OP, really good thread, thank you/obrigado! Also, thanks to the creators of the banners.

I have never read any of the books and I've always been curious, I might check some local stores like Fnac to see if they have the original English versions in the Fantasy section since I've seen other titles in there.

I was also just reminded about the Adventure game. It's the only Witcher game I do not own and I hope I can get it soon. :)

As you are talking about Fnac im assuming you are french, spanish or italian (or maybe another part of europe that has also fnacs). I you can get the spanish, french or english translations, those are you best options. They are better done than the english ones and have all the novels relased already.

misho8723

Banned
Great thread and a good idea to show this universe to new or potential players of W3 (or the older games).. anyway, Sapkowski did say that he find the Czech translation the best, followed by the Spanish.. he can speak the Czech language pretty good, so he knows himself how good his own books are translated :)

Windam

Scaley member
Wasn't Baptism of Fire published last year? I've had it since early 2014 (though I did preorder the British edition). Could have sworn the NA release was published in summer 2014.

So what do politics and sex have in common? Is it sex?

Politicians' hands are as dirty as a peasant girl fucked in a barn.

bengraven

Read Last Wish and part of Blood of Elves years ago. Loved Wish but Blood was really boring or poorly translated.

I'm not going to jump in to the series again until all the books are released anyway.

Wasn't Baptism of Fire published last year? I've had it since early 2014 (though I did preorder the British edition). Could have sworn the NA release was published in summer 2014.

You're right, I was looking at the UK release date which was January 7 of this year.

I like this thread a lot. Nicely done, OP!

Also, I've played the first two games and I'm just wondering, have any of you noticed the voice actress change for Triss? The transition from her deeper voice to what it is now (which I think is somewhat annoying) was somewhat jarring since I was so used to the original. Also anyone think that Geralt's voice acting in W2 worse than in W1?

I like both voices, they both fit the character well. I think the actress in 2 pulls of the seductive tone of voice a bit better.
As for Geralt, he seemed the same to me tbh.

The books are dirt cheap on amazon.uk third party sellers. You can pick them up for a little over 10 euros with shipping included.
I usually use The Book Depository, they're great, amazon's price is way more expensive, they currently have The Last Wish for 3.95£ for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0575082445/sr=8-1/qid=1423665982/ref=olp_page_1?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1423665982&sr=8-1

I never realized how fucking awesome Vernon really is.

Thanks for the story recap vid too, I never got into W1 or 2 but I'm super excited about W3

Also probably gonna read the books before W3 comes out, is there a guide as to where and when they all take place chronologically?

They are in chronological order in the OP, except for the last one which was released recently but is a prequel. From what I hear you should read it last though so yeah, stick with the order in the OP. They all take place before the games.

Just read about Season of Storms, seems to be a prequel with young Geralt and at the same time seems to explain what happened after Lady of the Lake's ending. I know he said the games and books are different things, but maybe he settled and tried to write a bridge between both? He is a marketer and says the best thing he knows is selling (thats how he wrote the first Geralt small stories, becuase he knew he was creating a character that could sell), so that wouldnt surprise me lol

Yeah, like I said in the OP it's a prequel, I didn't know about that second part though. I'm curious to know more.

I edited the OP to reflect the fact that not all books are available in some of those languages. Please keep the feedback coming.

Oynox

One book is missing, the third short story collection which contains the fifth short story from the original Wiedźmin (release 1990). It is called Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna and is translated to German at least.

/edit

Ah sorry, only two of the ten stories presented in the book are part of the Witcher saga.

aravuus

They are in chronological order in the OP, except for the last one which was released recently but is a prequel. From what I hear you should read it last though so yeah, stick with the order in the OP. They all take place before the games.

Thanks, gonna start reading them right away. They seem to be relatively short books (and easy reading for a fantasy series) so thankfully I shouldn't have to put 5 hours every day into them to be able to finish them all before W3 comes out

e: oh it said it in the op too, lol i'm blind

One book is missing, the third short story collection which contains the fifth short story from the original Wiedźmin (release 1990). It is called Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna and is translated to German at least.

/edit

Ah sorry, only two of the ten stories presented in the book are part of the Witcher saga.

I think you are talking about Camino sin Retorno (Path of no Return?). It was also translated to spanish, I think one of the two stories was about Geralt's parents.

Thanks, gonna start reading them right away. They seem to be relatively short books (and easy reading for a fantasy series) so thankfully I shouldn't have to put 5 hours every day into them to be able to finish them all before W3 comes out

e: oh it said it in the op too, lol i'm blind

Its a very easy, but well written and really fun read. You are going to have a blast with them.

Oynox

I do not know for sure. It released in 2000. The German title reads like "Something ends, something begins".

/edit

Now I got it: The third collection of short stories under the main title Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna released in 2000 (in Germany 2012 under the titel "something ends, something begins") and containted two stories related to the Witcher saga, on of which had the name of the title and the other called Droga, z której się nie wraca, in German something like "The path, no one returned from".

Seems like the spanish book got the title of the second story, whereas the German translation got the other one.

One question besides: Why is the Spanish translation considered the best?

I do not know for sure. It released in 2000. The German title reads like "Something ends, something begins".

One question besides: Why is the Spanish translation considered the best?

Yep, is that one. One of the chapters is the one you mentioned.

The spanish version is one of the best, with the Czech one, becuase the translator, Jose Maria Faraldo, studied polish history and language, and as he took his job seriously, he went to poland to work with Sapkowski himself in the transaltion and get the localisation as right as possible. Sapkowski has talked about translations in some interviews and he has commented many times the good work Faraldo did with his work (he is the offcial translator for everything Sapkowski here, included his other seriers like the Hussite Wars and other stories).
He also speaks marvels about the Czech translation.
IIRC he despises the german and english ones.

If you have any opportunity to read the spanish translation, and you understand it, you will know why its so well written. It gets what the character talking traits are, and localises it in old castillian spanish, using different variations of it depending of the character and the class (nobels, peasants, Geralt and his party...).

The games translated in spanish are just a shit translation that doesnt capture that feeling well.
The english translation for the game is MUCH better than the one in the books.

Oynox

Great, and I am reading the german one. However, I have no opportunity to read the spanish one.

Maybe, one day, my girlfriend will teach me enough Polish to read the original text :D

Regarding the language in the games: I used to play The Witcher 2 in German, because I despised the English voice of Geralt. However, I replayed the game with my girlfriend together in Polish and that was really neat.
But I was always wondering, if Polish is the "original" voice of the game, or if CDP started with the English one...

JayEH

I plan on reading one of the books eventually once I have time. The world is interesting enough for me to want to learn more about it.

That is a terrific OP! Thanks. I read some of these books already but will reference the first post to see what I am missing. Very much looking forward to this game and have already preordered on Amazon.ca.

Cheers

El Jaffe

Wow, I didn't know they made a new book (Season of Storms). I read all the books over the summer of 2013. I'm guessing it's a collection of short stories like Sword of Destiny and Last Wish?

Also, Lady of the lake Spoilers:
I didn't really like the whole dimension switching with Ciri, or more specifically, when she goes to the Dimension with the King Arthur and Merlin Mythos, it just felt weird

Great, and I am reading the german one. However, I have no opportunity to read the spanish one.

Maybe, one day, my girlfriend will teach me enough Polish to read the original text :D

Regarding the language in the games: I used to play The Witcher 2 in German, because I despised the English voice of Geralt. However, I replayed the game with my girlfriend together in Polish and that was really neat.
But I was always wondering, if Polish is the "original" voice of the game, or if CDP started with the English one...

It's the Polish one ,but the english version is also translated by them, so that is why its pretty good.
I will add that I think the english voice for Geralt is perfect for the character. When I read the books in spanish he has the same talking mannerisms, and I imagine him with the same dry voice he has in the games.
Sadly not only the spanish translation of the games is shit (as in flat without a character whatsoever), but also the first game had a spanish dub that was INCREDIBLY bad done by not professional voice actors. A pity because we have great voice actors that would do an amazing job with it. The second game came only translated, and the third had a petition to get a good dub, but CD Projeckt said that it was not possible by the time the game released but would try to do something in the future for it.
I would pay a good amount of money if Jose Maria Faraldo did the translation, even if the game doesnt come dubbed.

Wow, I didn't know they made a new book (Season of Storms). I read all the books over the summer of 2013. I'm guessing it's a collection of short stories like Sword of Destiny and Last Wish?

Seems to be stories of young geralt, and some kind of explanation for the Lady in the Lake ending.

Yaay, a community thread for The Witcher! Making a camp here as we speak :)

Regarding the chronology of the books, someone on reddit did a very nice write-up, detailing every short story in the saga. Bolded separate volumes, short stories in italics.

1. The Last Wish The Grain of Truth -
disenchantment of Nivellen
2. The Last Wish The Lesser Evil -
stay in Blaviken
3. The Last Wish The Edge of the World
4. The Last Wish The Last Wish -
first meeting of Geralt and Yennefer
5. Season of Storms - June-August 1251
6. The Last Wish A Matter of Price - autumn (September?) 1252 -
Pavetta is already pregnant.
7. The Last Wish The Witcher - Year 1253
8. The Last Wish The Voice of Reason - Year 1253
9. Sword of Destiny The Bounds of Reason -
Geralt meets Yennefer after 4 years – year 1254
10. Sword of Destiny A Shard of Ice
11. Sword of Destiny The Eternal Fire
12. Sword of Destiny A Little Dedication
13. Sword of Destiny The Sword of Destiny - Spring / Summer 1262
14. Sword of Destiny Something More -
year after the end of the war with Nilfgaard - early autumn 1264 - a meeting of Geralt and Ciri
Geralt's flashbacks in the latter story:
meeting with Calanthe - Ciri is six years old - year 1259
meeting of Geralt and Yennefer at the feast of Belleteyn
meeting of Geralt and Dandelion over Jaruga – War with Nilfgaard - Autumn, year 1263
15. Blood of Elves
16. Time of Contempt
17. Baptism of Fire
18. The Swallow's Tower
19. Lady of the Lake

Kyaw

Really tempted to get "The Last Wish". If I like reading short stories and GoT, will I like the books?

studyguy

Pretty sure Sapkowski from all I've heard has had a douchey attitude towards the games themselves which is a bummer. Love the novels all the same though.

Really tempted to get "The Last Wish". If I like reading short stories and GoT, will I like the books?

It's pretty similar to the low fantasy setting, though definitely leaning closer on more fantasy creatures, he's hunting them after all. I'd compare it more to something written by Ambercrombie though.

Glass

Great thread, subbed.

Currently playing through the first game after completing it when it first came out. It's showing its age but the world and atmosphere has sucked me in same as it did all those years ago.

It's more adventure and fantasy and less politicians backstabbing (theres still some politics, but only as background to tell the story).
Its also has more snappy writting and satyrical components.

For example the Last Wish, that has short stories, is about Geralt having adventure and encountering some monsters of polish popular culture. There also some really funny fairy tale parodies in the mix.

Denton

I think both are "original" for them, but considering that english version will have Charles Dance as Emhyr, for me english is the best. It helps that english Geralt sounds fantastic to me.

Season of Storms is a novel. It it one big continuous story that starts with Geralt losing his swords and trying to get them back. It is awesome. I read all the books over the last few months and Season of Storms just fit in really well.

Pretty sure Sapkowski from all I've heard has had a douchey attitude towards the games themselves which is a bummer. Love the novels all the same though.

Not really. He respects CDP. He is not a gamer, but so what.

Kyaw

It's more adventure and fantasy and less politicians backstabbing (theres still some politics, but only as background to tell the story).
Its also has more snappy writting and satyrical components.

For example the Last Wish, that has short stories, is about Geralt having adventure and encountering some monsters of polish popular culture. There also some really funny fairy tale parodies in the mix.

That sounds perfect.

It's one of my favorite books, basically each story is Geralt doing a quest, it covers the basics of what witchers are and how Geralt meets some of the characters. This one is very light on politics compared to the saga or GoT but it's a nice setup for the witcher universe.

Top Bottom