• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

Just popping in briefly (haven't played the games) to say that I just finished the main series (Season of Storms notwithstanding) and really liked the books a lot. The fan translations of the last couple books were a lifesaver.

The fan translations of the last couple books were a lifesaver.
Absolutely. I read the series when Baptism of Fire and The Time of Contempt still hadn't been officially translated, so fan translations were even bigger for me. I was reading Lady of the Lake chapter by chapter while they were translating it.

Absolutely. I read the series when Baptism of Fire and The Time of Contempt still hadn't been officially translated, so fan translations were even bigger for me. I was reading Lady of the Lake chapter by chapter while they were translating it.

That must have been agonizing, haha.

I'm debating starting Season of Storms now or waiting until it's finished. On one hand, it wouldn't be bad to read it partially since it's more short stories, but on the other hand it might be more rewarding to return to these characters after some time has passed.

That must have been agonizing, haha.

I'm debating starting Season of Storms now or waiting until it's finished. On one hand, it wouldn't be bad to read it partially since it's more short stories, but on the other hand it might be more rewarding to return to these characters after some time has passed.

It's not short stories.
It's a single story.

Currently playing Hearts of Stone and there's a reference to Season of Storms in there.

varkuriru

Reading the books and playing Wild Hunt is a double edge sword :p. The references and callbacks were awesome but then towards the end some key things got completely changed and others not mentioned at all. It kind of makes me feel that CDPR should do another expansion to better flesh out the end game -not sure how that would work or if it even feasible.

All in all its a great game and I liked the endings but I wanted to see more concepts mentioned in the books appear in the game.

Reading the books and playing Wild Hunt is a double edge sword :p. The references and callbacks were awesome but then towards the end some key things got completely changed and others not mentioned at all. It kind of makes me feel that CDPR should do another expansion to better flesh out the end game -not sure how that would work or if it even feasible.

All in all its a great game and I liked the endings but I wanted to see more concepts mentioned in the books appear in the game.

Well, there are sequels, not reimagenings, so its understandable why all what appears in the books doesnt appear in the games.

As I said before, the only big problem I have is the big change of character at the end of the game that Dijkstra has
I dont think he would have ever done that in the books

Finished Hearts of Stone.
It's great, main quest is one of the very best in the game.
CDPR came up with some really good characters for this.

DarkFlame

Banned
Hearts of Stone main quest was indeed top quality.Was wishing for a bit more monster hunting contracts to be honest though

Still excellent expansion and well worth the 20€ for the retail version with the gwent cards

Looking forward to Blood and Wine and if it's as great as we hope,wish they announce one last expansion to end with a bang on Geralt's story and then release the ultimate GOTY of any game

Hearts of Stone main quest was indeed top quality.Was wishing for a bit more monster hunting contracts to be honest though

Still excellent expansion and well worth the 20€ for the retail version with the gwent cards

Looking forward to Blood and Wine and if it's as great as we hope,wish they announce one last expansion to end with a bang on Geralt's story and then release the ultimate GOTY of any game

I doubt we'll get anything else. All hands on deck for Cyberpunk after they finish BaW.

Well, at least we'll have the movie to look forward to :)

Denton

Yeah I think Blood and Wine is it.

But I would totally love a third expansion that would do three things:

1) fix those little narrative blemishes (Dijkstra, Saskia)
2) Bolster the main quest, restore the cut content (infiltrating the Wild Hunt questline)
3) Add some nice post-ending questline, dependant on the ending

j-wood

I just beat The Witcher 3. Man...top 3 game of all time for me. Just incredible.

My ending:

Ciri became a witcher, stopped the white front, and geralt went to live in Korvi with Triss.

Now I want to read the books. What order do I get them in? I looked on Amazon but it didn't really say...

I just beat The Witcher 3. Man...top 3 game of all time for me. Just incredible.

My ending:

Ciri became a witcher, stopped the white front, and geralt went to live in Korvi with Triss.

Now I want to read the books. What order do I get them in? I looked on Amazon but it didn't really say...

Check the first post in this thread for everything you need to know. If you still have doubts after reading it, feel free to ask.

And yeah, it's also top 3 of all time tier for me and I've been playing videogames since the 80's.

Majestad

Banned
I've heard the games are their own Witcher universe, but I wonder why the new editions of the books have the CDPR Witcher art.

I've heard the games are their own Witcher universe, but I wonder why the new editions of the books have the CDPR Witcher art.

The games act as sequels to the books. Though they're not recognized as canon by Sapkowsky, the popularity of the games led some publishers to use their art for the book covers.
I recommend getting the books with the original art since it's fantastic, as you can see in the OP.

Majestad

Banned
I'm absolutely enamored with this series after playing Witcher 3 (GOTG). I'm gonna start reading the books this December, and I'm considering picking an Xbox so I can play Witcher 2. Is that backwards compatible with the Xbox One? I also installed Witcher 1 on my laptop but it runs like shit, so I guess I'll be missing on that for the time being.

Denton

..all these people reading books after playing game(s) are going to have minds blown they they replay TW3

I'm playing through the Witcher 2 and need some help. I'm halfway through chapter 2 and have barely upgraded my equipment at all. According to the guides that I've looked at swords should have 2 values associated with them, but I only see 1. Swords in my game also show up with a much smaller damage stat then what's in the guides. My sword of the Dun Banner only says it does 18 damage while all the guides say it should do 26 minimum. Could someone please explain what's going on?

I'm still using my Witcher 1 import swords and the Blue Stripes Combat Jacket. The meteorite crafting and mutagens are over my head too.

Also Axii never works. I hold the button for the full duration but nothing ever comes of it.

Edit: So apparently I downloaded the FCR2 mod at some point and uninstalled it from my machine, but had some leftover settings files that were boning over my game. It looks like I've been playing a weird mix of the vanilla version and the mod. I knew something was off when my a abilities didn't work as advertised and my stats didn't look anything similar to the ones in guides, but it became obvious that something was terribly wrong when none of the skills on the skill tree had mutagens and my vigor bar wouldn't grow over two slots despite me having upgraded it.

This game was an absolute nightmare for me. The draug was taking 80% of my health off on an initial hit that I had no way of blocking or dodging, and the fights with the skeleton before that took a good 25 minutes of hitting them with heavy attacks to get past - and this was on normal! I've had to uninstall and reinstall the Witcher 2 to get things back to vanilla, but I'm worried that my stats are going to be completely borked. I'm at the end of chapter 2 and I'm level 17, does that sound about right for someone who's done almost every sidequest until then? It says I only have 2 skill points available now, but before I fixed things I could've sworn that I had 5 stocked up.

I'm playing through the Witcher 2 and need some help. I'm halfway through chapter 2 and have barely upgraded my equipment at all. According to the guides that I've looked at swords should have 2 values associated with them, but I only see 1. Swords in my game also show up with a much smaller damage stat then what's in the guides. My sword of the Dun Banner only says it does 18 damage while all the guides say it should do 26 minimum. Could someone please explain what's going on?

I'm still using my Witcher 1 import swords and the Blue Stripes Combat Jacket. The meteorite crafting and mutagens are over my head too.

Also Axii never works. I hold the button for the full duration but nothing ever comes of it.

Edit: So apparently I downloaded the FCR2 mod at some point and uninstalled it from my machine, but had some leftover settings files that were boning over my game. It looks like I've been playing a weird mix of the vanilla version and the mod. I knew something was off when my a abilities didn't work as advertised and my stats didn't look anything similar to the ones in guides, but it became obvious that something was terribly wrong when none of the skills on the skill tree had mutagens and my vigor bar wouldn't grow over two slots despite me having upgraded it.

This game was an absolute nightmare for me. The draug was taking 80% of my health off on an initial hit that I had no way of blocking or dodging, and the fights with the skeleton before that took a good 25 minutes of hitting them with heavy attacks to get past - and this was on normal! I've had to uninstall and reinstall the Witcher 2 to get things back to vanilla, but I'm worried that my stats are going to be completely borked. I'm at the end of chapter 2 and I'm level 17, does that sound about right for someone who's done almost every sidequest until then? It says I only have 2 skill points available now, but before I fixed things I could've sworn that I had 5 stocked up.

Damn, what a mess. Sorry to hear that your first experience with the game is going like that. Hard to say how things will go for you but it sounds like your game is really messed up.
Are you really at the end of chapter 2? Because chapter 3 is the last and also the shortest so you might as well finish it.
Otherwise I'd recommend starting over. If your stats are too messed up the last mandatory fight might become frustrating.

Pachimari

I'm currently reading through a sample version of "The Last Wish"; the first book, and I'm really liking what I have read so far. Of course I'm not that far in yet, but I'll let the three next chapters decide if I should buy the whole book.

Have any of you in here read the whole series, and what did you think? Does it become better, or even worse?

And thanks to Dragon1893 for guiding me in here.

I'm currently reading through a sample version of "The Last Wish"; the first book, and I'm really liking what I have read so far. Of course I'm not that far in yet, but I'll let the three next chapters decide if I should buy the whole book.

Have any of you in here read the whole series, and what did you think? Does it become better, or even worse?

You can divide the books into 3 "categories".
The first 2 are a series of short stories and they're pretty awesome.
The 5 books that came afterwards form a saga. The first book of the saga "Blood of Elves" is a bit slow but they get progressively better imo and the saga as a whole is really fantastic. The ending of the last book feels a bit abrupt and is not very satisfying but the games actually kinda fix that by continuing the story and giving us a better conclusion with TW3's ending.
Then there's the recently released Season of Storms which is a prequel and a self contained story. You should read it last though because despite being a prequel it also touches the ending of the saga which is pretty cool and gives it better closure. The book itself is really good.

I hope that helped.

Pachimari

But I don't need to play the games right? I can just read all of the books and end with Seasons of Storms. I don't know what to feel about the two first books being a lot of short stories though hmm.

But I don't need to play the games right? I can just read all of the books and end with Seasons of Storms. I don't know what to feel about the two first books being a lot of short stories though hmm.

Of course you don't need to play the games. The short stories are really good and I forgot to mention that the story in the saga actually starts in one of them so Blood of Elves isn't actually the beginning.

ricki42

You don't need to play the game to understand the books. But the games get better if you've read the books.
The short stories in the first book aren't completely disconnected. There is a storyline, and the short stories are told as retrospection to explain what's happening.

RDreamer

The books are awesome, and I think if you like what you're reading so far it will stay good for you the whole way through. Overall it's one of my favorite book series of all time. I really connected with everything about it from the writing style to the characters and the overarching story that happens in the later books.

The games are kind of like... fan fiction after the entire book series. So no you absolutely don't need to play the games at all to enjoy the books. They're amazing on their own. They make the games better, but I don't think the reverse is true really.

The first two books are indeed short stories, and they're great. I don't think they feel like "lesser" stories or anything. After that it does go into a grand epic sort of story, so things switch quite a bit when you move into Blood of Elves.

The first two books are indeed short stories, and they're great. I don't think they feel like "lesser" stories or anything. After that it does go into a grand epic sort of story, so things switch quite a bit when you move into Blood of Elves.

A lot of people actually prefer the short stories because they're all about Geralt's monster hunting, without all the political intrigue and stuff. The saga also gradually shifts the focus more and more towards Ciri, to the point where in the last 2 books it's more about her than him and though I was fine with that because I think she's great, some people prefer to read about Geralt.

To make an analogy with the games, think of the short stories as side quests and the saga as the main plot :)

Anyway, I can't wait to explore Toussaint in the next expansion, CDPR always does such a great job with bringing the locations to life.

BTW Madridista, SpacePirateRidley who helped me with this thread is also spanish and a huge witcher fan.
I own some spanish versions of the books, the hardcover versions are beautiful, I can't believe how expensive books are in your country though.

Pachimari

I'm not Spanish though lol.

I will be reading the books in English. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find The Last Wish in any stores here, so I'll have to import it online. In the mean time I started reading Shadows in the Wind.

I'm not Spanish though lol.

I will be reading the books in English. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find The Last Wish in any stores here, so I'll have to import it online. In the mean time I started reading Shadows in the Wind.

Can't blame me for thinking that :)

I couldn't wait. Just ordered The Last Wish from Amazon. It should arrive in a few days!

Good move :)

I only realized recently that Hearts of Stone includes a comic!
It shows what happened to Saskia and Vergen in general after TW2. And here was wondering why the hell Saskia never appears in TW3, I'm glad they gave the character closure, even if it wasn't in the game.
Anyone here check it out?
BTW, the Reason of State comic that comes with TW3 is pretty good.

Pachimari

I have only now started reading The Last Wish, and is still at Chapter 1, but it seems very interesting so far. I'm only up till, where Veridad of Wyzim will follow Geralt to the palace where the striga is located underneath.

The Witcher 1-3 games is a continuation right? And not just a retelling of the books?

The Witcher 1-3 games is a continuation right? And not just a retelling of the books?
Yeah, the games take place 5 years after the books end. There's occasionally some overlap in some early game plots that'll be a loose retelling of some of the book stories but no direct adaptations outside of the CGI Strigga fight in the intro to Witcher 1.

MNC

Speaking of Triss, after reuniting with her in TW3 I realized I can't help myself, I love Yen but I'm a #TeamTriss guy.
What about you guys?

Triss seemed like a literal whore in the first game, then some kind of sex-addicted-nympho in the second, and the third finally seemed to match book-Triss proper, a young lovestruck lass that seems to get carried away by her emotions from time to time. She's great in W3.

Triss seemed like a literal whore in the first game, then some kind of sex-addicted-nympho in the second, and the third finally seemed to match book-Triss proper, a young lovestruck lass that seems to get carried away by her emotions from time to time. She's great in W3.

You don't mince words lol.

Anyway, Blood&Wine is incredible, CDPR did an amazing job recreating Toussaint.
And
Regis!
It was so cool getting to hang out with him! At first I didn't think bringing him back was a good idea because it kinda cheapens his death in the books but it was worth it.

I was looking to finish Witcher 3 on XB1 but that won't be happening for a while now.

Recently I changed all my passwords including my Microsoft accound password, all good until last night, I had to log into XBL and I could not remember the password, I checked lastpass and bizarrely the password did not match up to.

So I go through the password reset process using two step verification, I enter my new password Microsoft's systems spit it out and I try to reset again, but because I have my backup email address once already it won't let me do that.

it gives me three other options which go nowhere.

An app - which would be fine except I need to log in to activate it first, so back to step 1.

Phone number - don't have my number added to my account and it won't let me add it now so back to step one.

25 character backup code - don't have one so can't do that either.

So now MS has imposed a 30 day waiting period before I can reset my security info, my XB1 is effectively bricked, not sure about my 360, it probably is ok because it uses a unique app password.

In addition to this I now no longer have access to one of my primary two email accounts. MS customer services flat out won't deal with this.

What the fuck can I do GAF to sort this out or am I on hold for the next 30 days?

I was looking to finish Witcher 3 on XB1 but that won't be happening for a while now.

Recently I changed all my passwords including my Microsoft accound password, all good until last night, I had to log into XBL and I could not remember the password, I checked lastpass and bizarrely the password did not match up to.

So I go through the password reset process using two step verification, I enter my new password Microsoft's systems spit it out and I try to reset again, but because I have my backup email address once already it won't let me do that.

it gives me three other options which go nowhere.

An app - which would be fine except I need to log in to activate it first, so back to step 1.

Phone number - don't have my number added to my account and it won't let me add it now so back to step one.

25 character backup code - don't have one so can't do that either.

So now MS has imposed a 30 day waiting period before I can reset my security info, my XB1 is effectively bricked, not sure about my 360, it probably is ok because it uses a unique app password.

In addition to this I now no longer have access to one of my primary two email accounts. MS customer services flat out won't deal with this.

What the fuck can I do GAF to sort this out or am I on hold for the next 30 days?

Never owned a XBox, no idea mate. Hope you can sort it out.

MNC

Just got to the (early novigrad spoilers w3)
dream sequence with Dandelion and how geralt explains his memories of Ciri.... Something more.
and I love how it references the books. I never got into expanded universes the way I do with witcher and cdpr really treats the source material well. Currently reading the first novel.

Was watching a Gwent panel from Pax and they showed the artwork for several book characters, including from Season of Storms. Also characters have a few voice lines including card specific taunts. Even though it's only a few lines, they took the casting very seriously so they don't have to recast if they want to use those characters again for something else. Showed an example of a Leo Bonhart card and voice line.

One really cool card art was (Lady of the Lake spoiler)
Vilgefortz incinerating Regis.

Was watching a Gwent panel from Pax and they showed the artwork for several book characters, including from Season of Storms. Also characters have a few voice lines including card specific taunts. Even though it's only a few lines, they took the casting very seriously so they don't have to recast if they want to use those characters again for something else. Showed an example of a Leo Bonhart card and voice line.

One really cool card art was (Lady of the Lake spoiler)
Vilgefortz incinerating Regis.

Wow, that's pretty cool.

Top Bottom