• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher Community Thread: Where we discuss what politics and sex have in common

Speaking of Triss, after reuniting with her in TW3 I realized I can't help myself, I love Yen but I'm a #TeamTriss guy.
What about you guys?

aravuus

From what little I've seen of Yen, I have to agree with some of the OT people, she treats Geralt like trash and it's actually pretty annoying. She was never that annoying in the books so I dunno, maybe she'll get better later on in the game but right now, I'm 100% #teamtriss

Flipyap

Speaking of Triss, after reuniting with her in TW3 I realized I can't help myself, I love Yen but I'm a #TeamTriss guy.
What about you guys?
Depends on what you mean by that. In the game I'm slowly leaning towards #TeamForeverAlone.
The game made a really good case for Video Game Triss during her sidequests, so I told her that Geralt loves her (even though that felt wrong, but choices in this game become laughably binary whenever relationships are concerned) and since then they haven't done anything interesting with her, so that whole relationship is starting to feel wrong again because Video Game Triss, stripped of the trauma that originally defined her, is kind of a nothing character.
And the idea of pursuing Yennefer doesn't really work in an interactive medium, unless you're a masochist or roleplay as one.

From what little I've seen of Yen, I have to agree with some of the OT people, she treats Geralt like trash and it's actually pretty annoying. She was never that annoying in the books so I dunno, maybe she'll get better later on in the game but right now, I'm 100% #teamtriss
Interesting. I thought Yennefer was the first major character CD Project Red got 100% right, or very close to it.

Getting the new pc parts today to build a new pc so I can play the witcher 3 finally!
Its also for work, but the witcher 3 not working was the final nail on this PC's coffin lol

Yep, and it works wonders! :D

Oh, I imagine it does.

Wow, thats super interesting!

Yup, it also confirms that Sapkowsky doesn't give a fuck lol.
Though to be fair, games weren't as big back then. Things are different now, CDPR's games obviously contributed greatly to expand the popularity of the franchise.
I have all the books sitting on my shelf only because I learned about them through the games.
It's interesting that even though they were going for an action/adventure game the tone seems very similar to CDPR's games, they even wanted to include a choice system that would impact the story.
It was for the best though, the franchise is definitely more suited for an rpg and by the time CDPR tackled it the tech was there to do it justice.
It took another 10 years but at least we got the games we know and love instead of what we see in those pics, though admittedly it didn't look too bad for what was possible at the time.

Also:

Witcher 1 vs 3 - Kaer Morhen Comparison

Oh, I imagine it does.

Yup, it also confirms that Sapkowsky doesn't give a fuck lol.
Though to be fair, games weren't as big back then. Things are different now, CDPR's games obviously contributed greatly to expand the popularity of the franchise.
I have all the books sitting on my shelf only because I learned about them through the games.
It's interesting that even though they were going for an action/adventure game the tone seems very similar to CDPR's games, they even wanted to include a choice system that would impact the story.
It was for the best though, the franchise is definitely more suited for an rpg and by the time CDPR tackled it the tech was there to do it justice.
It took another 10 years but at least we got the games we know and love instead of what we see in those pics, though admittedly it didn't look too bad for what was possible at the time.

Also:

Witcher 1 vs 3 - Kaer Morhen Comparison

We already knew Sapkowski doesnt still give a fuck lol
The Kaer Morhen comparison is so cool. What i love about CDPR is that they didnt decide to remodel Kaer Morhen completly, but based it from the witcher 1 a lot. Same with Foltest's throne.

Yep, which makes roaming around in Kaer Morhen especially emotional for me. They even keep the fireplace where you first brew a potion as it was.

Fantastic OT by the way.

Also, after your first encounter with Emhyr, you walk into the garden where (TW1 spoiler)
you wake up after TW1's final boss
and the fact that it's mostly unchanged really brings all that back right away.

Even Keira thats has less than a chapter in Time of Contempt is done really well.

And lol this game, is fucking massive. 50 hours in and just entered Novigrad.

Yeah CDPR really brings the books Dijkstra to game. Or any other character at that.

His snarky responses with Geralt are funny.

Yeah, he's got some great lines. It's natural for him to be salty, that must've hurt :)

Even Keira thats has less than a chapter in Time of Contempt is done really well.

And lol this game, is fucking massive. 50 hours in and just entered Novigrad.

Indeed, wasn't expecting her to get so much screen time but it's worth it.

If you haven't gotten to the part where you return to Kaer Morhen yet, look forward to it. It's filled with fantastic scenes that will resonate with any Witcher fan, awesome stuff.

Kiyoshi

Are there big payoffs in the Witcher 3 for those that have read the books? I've just started to read them, and am half way through the second. I'm tempted to finish the books while playing some other games (or carry on just exploring and doing side quests) before I advance the story.

Are there big payoffs in the Witcher 3 for those that have read the books? I've just started to read them, and am half way through the second. I'm tempted to finish the books while playing some other games (or carry on just exploring and doing side quests) before I advance the story.

Sweet cool things, instead of big payoffs. I havent finished the game yet, but I think the majority of characters that appear on the game can be encountered in the first 4 books, so until time of contempt. But again, havent even get to skellige yet, so maybe there are even more characters I have to encounter from the books.

What they do in the 3 games is basically tell you the spoiler ending from the Lady of the Lake (the witcher 1 is the one that has it less explicit), but I suppose everyone and their mothers not that spoiler by now.

I wouldn't call them big payoffs but there are a lot of references that put a big smile on my face.
The characters mention events from the books quite often.
There's also a sidequest with Yen called The Last Wish so it goes without saying that it's deeply connected to that specific book.

Glass

The UK books are so frustrating.

Why have the books been released so out of order? I understand I'm meant to read Sword of Destiny after The Last Wish, except it's only just come out and cheapest I can find it online is £12 for a frigging paperback.

Why have the books been released so out of order? I understand I'm meant to read Sword of Destiny after The Last Wish, except it's only just come out and cheapest I can find it online is £12 for a frigging paperback.

Who knows lol
I suppose they thought nobody would give a fuck about the short stories. Its stupid, I know, but they probably dont know how to market the books there.

Yeah, it's really stupid that they skipped SoD but at least it's out now.
The remaining books were released in the correct order but we're still missing the last two.
Maybe TW3's success will light a fire under their asses, demand for the books definitely increased.

Almost done with the main story, battle of Kaer Morhen was epic and brought them feels
Vesemir!!!!
, fantastic stuff.
Also encountered a character from the first game I wasn't expecting to see in a sidequest.

I don't think Saskia is in the game which is really unfortunate and kinda lame considering what happened in TW2,
if you chose to let her live it doesn't make sense that she's nowhere to be found.

Denton

Almost done with the main story, battle of Kaer Morhen was epic and brought them feels
Vesemir!!!!
, fantastic stuff.
Also encountered a character from the first game I wasn't expecting to see in a sidequest.

I don't think Saskia is in the game which is really unfortunate and kinda lame considering what happened in TW2,
if you chose to let her live it doesn't make sense that she's nowhere to be found.

About Saskia, I posted this on CDP forums:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ish-were-fixed-Dijkstra-and-Saskia-(spoilers)

Saskia - I went with Iorveth in TW2 (to me that path is more fun, and makes more sense, since Geralt would go with his friend Zoltan IMO). Saskia is one of my favourite characters in TW2, so I decided to cure her. I was saddened when I found out she was not present in TW3 (4 years ago, I started a thread here asking "which characters do you want to see in TW3" and Saskia was the first I mentioned). Then I was glad, when in dialogue with Philippa, that I can at least ask about Saskia.
Imagine by disappointment when Geralt asks Philippa:
"Did she manage to get herself free of your spell?"
I mean, I freaking cured her. I imported the save. So perhaps Geralt should not be asking this
Philippa says that she lost control of Saskia when the war broke out and does not know where she is.
So at least she is alive.
Still, I would like to see that line ammended to reflect what was done in TW2 - it was really jarring like this.
Ideally of course I would love to see Saskia again, as well as Villentretenmerth, in a DLC/Expansion

So yeah.

My biggest complaint about TW3 is the lack of consequence for the choices in TW2. I expected it to happen (mentioned it here on gaf several times before the game's release) but it's still disappointing.
In TW2 you get to decide the fate of almost all the major characters, some of which are big players in the game's universe, and it's completely irrelevant.
Some of those choices are made during the game's ending, what was the point if they don't carry over to the next game?

Denton

My biggest complaint about TW3 is the lack of consequence for the choices in TW2. I expected it to happen (mentioned it here on gaf several times before the game's release) but it's still disappointing.
In TW2 you get to decide the fate of almost all the major characters, some of which are big players in the game's universe, and it's completely irrelevant.
Some of those choices are made during the game's ending, what was the point if they don't carry over to the next game?

It's not that bad. They actually did it a decent job of it for the most part - Letho was handled well, also meeting friendly Louisa La Vallete was nice, Roche acted how I would expect.
The main missing ones are Saskia and Iorveth, both of whom are referenced (albeing imperfectly, as I posted above). I still do expect (or hope) to see them in some future expansion.

Frankly, I expected worse. It is a clusterfuck to make shitload of content for people who import savegames, when they are in fact the minority of all players. Considering the amount of content the game has (and its quality) I can easily forgive that the TW2 decisions do not play as big a role as we might have wanted.

The way Saskia and Iorveth are off the game, I wouldnt be surprised if they are part of the expansions like Shani is going to be part of the Oxenfurt DLC.

I havent finish the game yet so I dont really know if
Geralt is dead or alive at the end of Thw Witcher 3 to have a DLC after that explaining iroveth and Sakia's whereabouts so...

It's not that bad. They actually did it a decent job of it for the most part - Letho was handled well, also meeting friendly Louisa La Vallete was nice, Roche acted how I would expect.
The main missing ones are Saskia and Iorveth, both of whom are referenced (albeing imperfectly, as I posted above). I still do expect (or hope) to see them in some future expansion.

Frankly, I expected worse. It is a clusterfuck to make shitload of content for people who import savegames, when they are in fact the minority of all players. Considering the amount of content the game has (and its quality) I can easily forgive that the TW2 decisions do not play as big a role as we might have wanted.

You're forgetting
Henselt and Sile.

For Saskia I guess they could use the excuse of her injury, there's no way a character with her motivation would sit out the conflict not to mention that a
dragon
would be a big factor in the way the war played out.

As for Roche, I was expecting a colder welcome considering I used a Iorveth save but I guess he doesn't hold a grudge lol.

Oh well, not like there's a shortage of great characters to interact with, I just wish developers would either be more careful with this stuff or stop making a big deal about their "player choice" implementation, though to be fair, the Witcher games do great things with branching storylines, it's just the way things carry over from game to game that needs more attention.
I'm still bitter because of the time I spent pondering the big decision at the end of the first Mass Effect only to realize later that it only changes a single line of dialogue in ME2 lol.

Denton

Right, I did meet Sile, although it was a short painful cameo.
Henselt died in TW2 or between the games, afaik.

Perhaps they did not want to include Saskia precisely because she would be too OP :)

Right, I did meet Sile, although it was a short painful cameo.
Henselt died in TW2 or between the games, afaik.

Perhaps they did not want to include Saskia precisely because she would be too OP :)

You can meet Sile? Didn't know that.
I guess Henselt dies regardless of what you do, would've been interesting to have him around.

Denton

Yeah Sile is unmissable if a save with her alive is imported, she is (very small) part of the main quest.

Yeah Sile is unmissable if a save with her alive is imported, she is (very small) part of the main quest.

Nevermind, I killed her in the save I used, completely forgot about it, that's why I didn't see her. Sounds like I didn't miss much though.

RedSwirl

Okay, I just got done reading chapter six of Baptism Of Fire and I need clarification on Ciri's family tree. I haven't played TW3 yet.

This chart from over at Reddit seems to clarify things somewhat: The sorceresses through Adela was Falka's daughter but other evidence suggests it was Fiona. It's the only way Ciri can be a descendant of both Riannon and Falka. The part that confuses me is that at some point Fenn figures out Fiona's parentage and that Falka carried Elder Blood. What I don't get is:

1) How does Falka have Elder Blood if she was a contemporary of Riannon and almost certainly not related to Lara Doren? Was it just some other unknown Elder Blood line outside Lara no one knew about?

2) When does Fenn discover this? It had to have been before he was killed during Time Of Contempt but I don't remember reading that. Maybe I forgot. Or is there a flashback later on?

Okay, I just got done reading chapter six of Baptism Of Fire and I need clarification on Ciri's family tree. I haven't played TW3 yet.

This chart from over at Reddit seems to clarify things somewhat: The sorceresses through Adela was Falka's daughter but other evidence suggests it was Fiona. It's the only way Ciri can be a descendant of both Riannon and Falka. The part that confuses me is that at some point Fenn figures out Fiona's parentage and that Falka carried Elder Blood. What I don't get is:

1) How does Falka have Elder Blood if she was a contemporary of Riannon and almost certainly not related to Lara Doren? Was it just some other unknown Elder Blood line outside Lara no one knew about?

2) When does Fenn discover this? It had to have been before he was killed during Time Of Contempt but I don't remember reading that. Maybe I forgot. Or is there a flashback later on?

I'll have to read that part again.
The amount of detail that Sapkowski put into her family tree is amazing though.

CDPR should improve the save import functionality, it doesn't tell you what choices you made in that save, it should give you a brief rundown of the major choices when you select it. I was positive that I imported a save with Letho alive but the game treats him like he's dead.

-Deimos

I'll have to read that part again.
The amount of detail that Sapkowsky put into her family tree is amazing though.

CDPR should improve the save import functionality, it doesn't tell you what choices you made in that save, it should give you a brief rundown of the major choices when you select it. I was positive that I imported a save with Letho alive but the game treats him like he's dead.

Hm, same thing happened with me. Maybe it's bug?

Randomly decided to ceck gaf's cosplay thread and found some cool Witcher cosplay:

V9GpCNH.jpg

Really nice.

Also, female Geralt:

lnguEHI.jpg

Hah, the second one is czech TV host of a gaming show Re-play. She also did Ciri cosplay:

http://imgur.com/a/Q9fxe

Nice!

OK, CDPR got me good with the It Takes Three to Tango quest.

At first I was disappointed, I was hoping CDPR would be above allowing Geralt to stay with both Triss and Yen. And then THAT happened. It was hilarious. And then Dandelion finding Geralt like that just adds insult to injury.
I'm kinda depressed though since now my Geralt will be alone lol.
I guess I deserve it, I'm such a whore.
Above I said I was team Triss and I meant it, I got to novigrad, did her arc and romanced her.
But then I got to Skellige and things with Yen just unfolded.
It's not my fault!

Still haven't finished the game though, but should be done with it this week.

I finished the game yesterday after 140 hours.
Loved it.

My ending was
rather positive, radovid is dead (fuck trying to help him in the first two games), Temeria is free again (a pity not knowing if its going to be ruled by Foltest daugther that I gave to John Natalis), Nilfgaard returns home, the mages can live again, Ciri becomes a witcher (Witcher 4 pavement im sure) and Geralt retires with lady Yeneffer.

I have some qualms with the ending, but nothing too big. My biggest one, and its not really that important.
So I thought the final image, or scene of the ending, would be an old Jaskier (the whole game is narrated by an old voice you think at the beggining is Vesemir, but then he talks in first person about Jaskier) writting the narration he is doing druing the whole game, like a camera pan of him in a room with Priscilla. Would be a good final touch. But nope, after the mission of avenging Priscilla interaction with Jaskier is zero, even when you are asking your friends to save Kaer Morhen, which seems a little strange. Would have liked to know if Priscilla got well and Jaskier stayed with her.

And also the super heel turn of
Dijkstra, I think is too forced. He is an A grade asshole in the books and I thought his recreation was perfect in the game up until that moment, but I dont think he would do what he does at the end as he is not bad per se, leaving you the option of killing him or let him live and make Roche and Thaned be killed.

Apart from that great ending. Im pretty sure I did like 98% of the sidequests, leaving some obscure sidequest here and there. Got the majority of the treasure hunts, but not
all the sea icons around skellige, becuase who has the time for low level repetitive objects.

GOTY 2015.

EDIT.
Also LOVED the family moments of Ciri, Geralt and Yeneffer. Geralt's faces when he talk with Ciri are amazing, no really, amazing animation that conveys parenting feeling.

Denton

I finished the game yesterday after 140 hours.
Loved it.

My ending was
rather positive, radovid is dead (fuck trying to help him in the first two games), Temeria is free again (a pity not knowing if its going to be ruled by Foltest daugther that I gave to John Natalis), Nilfgaard returns home, the mages can live again, Ciri becomes a witcher (Witcher 4 pavement im sure) and Geralt retires with lady Yeneffer.

I have some qualms with the ending, but nothing too big. My biggest one, and its not really that important.
So I thought the final image, or scene of the ending, would be an old Jaskier (the whole game is narrated by an old voice you think at the beggining is Vesemir, but then he talks in first person about Jaskier) writting the narration he is doing druing the whole game, like a camera pan of him in a room with Priscilla. Would be a good final touch. But nope, after the mission of avenging Priscilla interaction with Jaskier is zero, even when you are asking your friends to save Kaer Morhen, which seems a little strange. Would have liked to know if Priscilla got well and Jaskier stayed with her.

And also the super heel turn of
Dijkstra, I think is too forced. He is an A grade asshole in the books and I thought his recreation was perfect in the game up until that moment, but I dont think he would do what he does at the end as he is not bad per se, leaving you the option of killing him or let him live and make Roche and Thaned be killed.

Apart from that great ending. Im pretty sure I did like 98% of the sidequests, leaving some obscure sidequest here and there. Got the majority of the treasure hunts, but not
all the sea icons around skellige, becuase who has the time for low level repetitive objects.

GOTY 2015.

EDIT.
Also LOVED the family moments of Ciri, Geralt and Yeneffer. Geralt's faces when he talk with Ciri are amazing, no really, amazing animation that conveys parenting feeling.

I got the second good ending (empress), zoltan and dandelion are present and priscilla is discussed. She is alright, but has deeper voice from the wound..dandelion actually prefers that voice, hah.

Agreed about Dijkstra, he was perfect except his last 5 minutes. I still hope they change this in a patch.

And yes it is goty. GOTY 1987 - 2015.

I got the second good ending (empress), zoltan and dandelion are present and priscilla is discussed. She is alright, but has deeper voice from the wound..dandelion actually prefers that voice, hah.

Agreed about Dijkstra, he was perfect except his last 5 minutes. I still hope they change this in a patch.

And yes it is goty. GOTY 1987 - 2015.

Yeah, just read it in the different endings guide. Seems you can also know that if you go to talk to Jaskier in the prologue. Even then, would have loved a little cinematic with
old Jaskier and Priscilla. Is so strange they used an old voice for Jaskier, but they never show him in the game. Maybe is part of the DLCs?

And the Dijkstra thing is super strange, dont think is going to be change in a patch though.

Denton

Yeah, just read it in the different endings guide. Seems you can also know that if you go to talk to Jaskier in the prologue. Even then, would have loved a little cinematic with
old Jaskier and Priscilla. Is so strange they used an old voice for Jaskier, but they never show him in the game. Maybe is part of the DLCs?

I don't think they will show him in game. Old Jaskier narrated loading screens was mostly just a narrative way to remind gamers about what is going on when they come back to the game after some time, a story summary..that was its primary reason for existence.

And the Dijkstra thing is super strange, dont think is going to be change in a patch though.

Hey one can always hope:
http://ask.fm/GingerEffect/answer/130598609682

Top Bottom