• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Got my copy today. I love the game. Not sure why people are complaining about controls. Stick works perfect. Touch as well. Unite chain is the only move I found difficult on the touch. Loved the baseball bat finish.

Just note that you don't start with all the unites like you do in the demo, you gain them throughout the storyline.

Just beat the boss in the baseball stadium, using the giant bat to hit back the projectile to take out the AA gun was fun.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know what is up with Platinum making basic moves like Block and Dodge unlockables in their games...

To their credit though, those moves are usually recommended in the shop and dirt cheap.

But I agree. I don't understand why I had to buy air dodge in bayo.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's only possible by stunning the fuck out of them with climb attack and attacking from behind, right?

Early on yes.

Once you get yellow you'll be able to smash through their armor with his hammer tho

Anyone who's struggling: don't be embarrassed to knock it down to Easy difficulty. Easy in this is like most games' Normal. After a while you'll get used to the systems and can bump it up again if you wish. It's not an easy game to get to grips with, but when it clicks it's glorious. Certainly once you get hold of Unite Guts and Unite Spring, it starts to flow more naturally.

Ein Bear

Just played the first two hours and
beaten the stadium boss.

Really enjoying the game, though the combat still hasn't quiiiite clicked with me yet. I'm getting my timing down with Unite Guts, and enjoying sending out multiple team-morphs, but so far I'm struggling to see much use in Unite Hand, when the Sword seems to be better in every way? The team attack on the X button appears to be fairly useless too.

Nintendo should really open Miiverse communities a week before release, can't post this =:)
kmbpYfE.jpg

people on miiverse make posts about basic things in games....
w101 board is going to be packed.
if IGN struggled to even unite to cross the buses in the first few minutes then i see a big big problem coming....

soofzwA.png

yet again, they can't help themselves,
this is not a question, but a statement. get rid of that question mark!
I can't wait for the interviews with miyamoto asking why he chose wii u when developing the next mario game.
i've never seen so much sly port begging from sites.

If a publisher pays nintendo enough money then why not. I dont see a publisher paying money for this title though

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
is that what it means when ping is next to the item in the shop?

I think P-star is the one in this game yeah.

In bayo it was Rodins picks or something.

And I forget what Rising had if it had one at all.

It's PG's way of letting the player know what are core moves or items that make the game easier

Just played the first two hours and
beaten the stadium boss.

Really enjoying the game, though the combat still hasn't quiiiite clicked with me yet. I'm getting my timing down with Unite Guts, and enjoying sending out multiple team-morphs, but so far I'm struggling to see much use in Unite Hand, when the Sword seems to be better in every way? The team attack on the X button appears to be fairly useless too.

Unite Hand is stronger and does more damage and can also
absorb fire attacks like when that one robot gets down in a position like a dog and shoots it out of its head, then Unite Hand will shoot a fireball its next attack or something
but maybe you already knew all of this.

By the way, it's not a huge spoiler, saw it in that Youtube video of the demo walkthrough by that guy decent at the game.

Unite Hand is stronger and does more damage and can also
absorb fire attacks like when that one robot gets down in a position like a dog and shoots it out of its head, then Unite Hand will shoot a fireball its next attack or something
but maybe you already knew all of this.

By the way, it's not a huge spoiler, saw it in that Youtube video of the demo walkthrough by that guy decent at the game.

That's very useful to know.

Stepped down to easy, NO REGRETS.
While i'm sure enemy layouts are likely to be different it's noticeable that enemies have smaller health bars and you take a bit less damage overall compared to normal, expected I know but I guess it's worth pointing out anyway.

NotLiquid

TW101 is the top most pre-ordered Wii U game in Sweden's Webhallen right now.

This makes me happy to see. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
to whoever has it, im stuck and dunno what to do

I shot the battery to open the door and now the jackpot sound is beeping and a circle is spinning but i dunno how to activate said circle?

nvm i found out you shoot the logo inside totally didnt know.

Regiruler

According to the Iwata Asks, there's a hard mode that not even Kamiya could beat.

Also, Wonder Kamiya crashed the game during debug apparently.

The sword in this game reminds me of the sword in Bayonetta, that once I get it, I find little reason to use anything else outside variety's sake.

Proven

From what I've seen, Platinum works on humbling players. Don't just pick normal or hard because you always do it off the bat. Don't skip the store when we present it to you and tell you "Go check this out right now before you start the mission". They give you the keys but you can't ignore them.

I think bodeiseifer's posts indicate that he doesn't necessarily hate the game, he's just going through the same learning process most of us did when playing the demo.

I do agree the basic block and dodge (or at least the dodge) should have been available by default.
On that note: is it even possible to defeat hoedowns without Unite Guts?

It's only possible by stunning the fuck out of them with climb attack and attacking from behind, right?

That's one way. Another way is making a big enough Unite Morph and smashing against the armor enough times to break it anyway. Hammer is excellent for this but if you don't have it Fist has enough attack power for this to not take forever. If you have any parts lying around from another GeathJerk enemy, they tend to be effective too. If you lift up a big enough object like a car or another decent sized enemy you can throw it at the Hoedown as well. And finally, if you have it disabled from climb attacks you can just pick it up to flip it over and put it into the stunned state. From there you can use launchers easily.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think this should probably be in the OP. This is what this game is about:

Iwata: And finally, Kamiya-san. What would you like to tell eveyone about 101?

Kamiya: The thing I want to tell them most is really the same thing that Yamagami-san just said. Don't be scared. There really aren't any games like this out there, so I think it's hard to envision what the game will be like.

Iwata: That's true, there aren't any games like it.

Kamiya: So I think that a lot of people may end up just saying "I don't get what kind of game it is," even if they had some interest in it. But if you think there might be something fun in it for you, I'd like you to trust your own curiosity, and just jump right into the game. It's a once in a lifetime game, I think. There are a lot of games that I'm glad I played, and I know that this game will be one of them for you.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The part 2 was a really, really interesting read. So it was originally planned as a sort of Nintendo all-stars action game?

I always figured they had given Kamiya more or less free reigns on this one, but nope. :)

Kamiya: Originally, I had somehow imagined that those requests would come in more systematically. I thought the requests that would come in would be very business-like.

Iwata: Really? That was your image of Nintendo?

Kamiya: I thought you guys were going to reach out to me saying something like, "We did some user research and these are the results we got, so we want you to change it so it fits this."

Iwata: Like, "Marketing data proves you should go this way."

Kamiya: Right. So I was surprised. This should have been obvious, but I was a little surprised at how human you guys were.

Iwata: So your original image of Nintendo was of something that wasn't human? (laughs)
lol

Multi-Unite Morph was introduced in MAY this year? holy fuck

Proven

Also, climb attacks aren't useless. They refill your Unite Gauge and leave you with an always present option against regular enemies. Oh, and the teleport.

Unite Sword might really be too good. The primary downside I see for it is that its wise range can be used against it if there are enemies with shields or blocks. It's the morph that's best at damaging multiple enemies at once but any one enemy being able to block it knocks it down.

Wolverine ninja claws man does look fun, as an alternative to the almighty sword. Hammer and time stop bomb seem more like supplements/assists to me. Never really jived with the "strong, but sloooow" types, and the bomb guy seems to rely on other weapons to do most of the damage. I liked the gun in the demo, but he doesn't rack up points very fast at all, at least the way I played. The single shots give you 0.10x compared to 0.04x of the sword, so there's that, but I don't think it works that way in the big "fire really fast in the air" move. Maybe KniveSmith knows some secret gun tech, like alternating between the Green gun shots and the weapon cannon pick-up I saw.

Cosmozone

Just picked it up! I fought with myself for some time if I should get this online or not, but I wanted to have the box, too. Saturn broke street date by one day as usual.

Oh, and there was some promotion material. A poster and some very cool (but not that big) stand-ups. I want to have them! Unfortunately the material was somewhat hidden. You couldn't see it when approaching the Nintendo section, you only saw them when you were already in it and looked back. WTF.

Proven

Wolverine ninja claws man does look fun, as an alternative to the almighty sword. Hammer and time stop bomb seem more like supplements/assists to me. Never really jived with the "strong, but sloooow" types, and the bomb guy seems to rely on other weapons to do most of the damage. I liked the gun in the demo, but he doesn't rack up points very fast at all, at least the way I played. The single shots give you 0.10x compared to 0.04x of the sword, so there's that, but I don't think it works that way in the big "fire really fast in the air" move. Maybe KniveSmith knows some secret gun tech, like alternating between the Green gun shots and the weapon cannon pick-up I saw.
Don't have anything for you right now... Personally, I used the gun in any fight I felt I had extra time in just for racking up the combo multiplier. I know the bazooka can pick up pretty big enemies if they're dazed, but I don't think you get any extra bonus for it. But I tended to get into a rut where I just constantly fired for multiplier, block attacks here and there, and then use Multi Morphs on the stunned enemies for damage and base score. Unite Gun can kill regular enemies decently quick, so you don't even get to see most disabled from your heroes on them.

Oh wait, that's right. After a few shots on a distant enemy you can switch to another morph and use the Climb Attack teleport property to rush over and smash them. You can probably use this to zip around with Hammer. I should try this out...

Edit: That interview is really good...

Don't have anything for you right now... Personally, I used the gun in any fight I felt I had extra time in just for racking up the combo multiplier. I know the bazooka can pick up pretty big enemies if they're dazed, but I don't think you get any extra bonus for it. But I tended to get into a rut where I just constantly fired for multiplier, block attacks here and there, and then use Multi Morphs on the stunned enemies for damage and base score. Unite Gun can kill regular enemies decently quick, so you don't even get to see most disabled from your heroes on them.

Oh wait, that's right. After a few shots on a distant enemy you can switch to another morph and use the Climb Attack teleport property to rush over and smash them. You can probably use this to zip around with Hammer. I should try this out...

Edit: That interview is really good...

Forgot all about the teleport, I'll have to try that

Also, Saur just started a System Breakdown video series. He's one of the main guys behind that amazing Bayonetta guide, and he's got a lot of impressive action game videos from God Hand to Viewtiful Joe to even No More Heroes, so he's VERY good at figuring games out and breaking down their mechanics.

edit: LOVE the action command cancelling bit in the second half. Do a Stinger with the fist, draw a sword, press B, A which not only confirms your weapon switch but also does the rising sword attack.

Top Bottom