• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Writing-GAF Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The formatting wasn't too bad once I figured out what did what. Just made sure to justify the paragraphs, add page breaks after each chapter, and set up automatic indents on the first line of each paragraph. It should go a lot smoother next time.

The title page was the hardest to set up right and I still didn't get it quite like how I wanted it to be.

Just wanted to say I really admire everyone who has posted their books on Amazon/B&N. Once I finish the book I'm reading, I think I'll go through the thread and buy a few of them. I've written two myself, one of which I think people might even like, but haven't really had the courage to go for it. I guess I'm afraid that once you self-publish, the normal publishing industry would look at you as tainted goods. Any ideas on this?

Just wanted to say I really admire everyone who has posted their books on Amazon/B&N. Once I finish the book I'm reading, I think I'll go through the thread and buy a few of them. I've written two myself, one of which I think people might even like, but haven't really had the courage to go for it. I guess I'm afraid that once you self-publish, the normal publishing industry would look at you as tainted goods. Any ideas on this?

Self-publishing's not gonna kill you, though it may make it less likely to get a particular story published. But the thing is, you can always write more books and you come with an already established base of fans.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm trying to figure out Google's ebook service, but having little luck at it. Anybody used them before?

Haven't bothered. Go with Smashwords and publish to the extended catalog. That'll cover all the important ones.

Whether self-publishing will hurt you or not depends entirely on how well you do. I know someone that self-published and became very successful with a single novel. The New York Times covered it and she was contacted by agents and publishers without even having to go to them. She declined because she was making more money with her self-published book than she would've made with a traditional publisher. Her take home in December was something like $53,000 from books sold, mostly on amazon in ebook format.

Most indie authors don't see that kind of success, but if you sell say 5,000 or so books as a self-published author then you have some good leverage. Otherwise, if you do seek the traditional publishing route after self-publishing you may as well not mention it as it won't improve your chances any.

There's a lot of negatives to the traditional route, which is why indie authors are becoming more and more common. You have the long wait (up to as much as a year just to get a response sometimes), many publishers not willing to take risks (only publishing the same stuff that they know will sell, like vampires for example), and low rates for the author.

After everyone has taken their cut the author might only see pennies on every book sold with the traditional route. It's been like this for years now, and agents have changed drastically over the years. Most of the new ones all try to play editor and don't fight for their authors, so the author ends up screwed in the end. This, and the above reasons, is why I personally opted to not go that route in the end. I started to, but after making contacts in the industry, doing research, and seeing what things were really like I decided it wasn't worth it.

For example, here's a common trap that authors run into. Publisher A wants to give them $5,000 up front in an advance, however publisher #2 wants to give them $8,000 up front. The author sees that extra 3 grand and at first look it seems very obvious to go with.

However, the royalties offered by publisher #2 are significantly lower than publisher #1. The money that you, as the author, are paid up front by the publisher is basically an estimate on what they think the book will sell. Many authors go for the higher up front and then their royalties are so low they never make that $5,000 or $8,000 back in royalties. And so they never see a penny for their book after that.

It doesn't help that many new authors don't receive much backing from the publisher in the form of advertising. They'll publish the book and then just toss it out there. I've seen quite a few traditionally published authors sell as much or less than the typical indie author just because their publisher neglected to put out any advertising for their novel.

That's the reality of how things are in the market. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but that's the gist of it. At least with self-publishing I only need to give a small cut to Amazon and I keep the rest. The only difference between myself and a traditionally published author that's been given little to no backing by their publisher is the name of the publisher on the cover.

It's not easy doing everything yourself, and you really shouldn't expect success just because you put your book on Amazon. You have to plan ahead, put out early release copies, get reviews, and get people talking about your book before you put it out. Otherwise, it's going to drown in the sea of ebooks never to be seen again. Doesn't matter how good your book is if nobody knows about it.

So, there's some food for thought.

1stStrike

Banned
Man that's a lot to think about. I haven't even thought about how to get my own novel out there to be reviewed and such before I officially release it. Well I have a long ways to go till then myself :/

There's numerous review sites that will review your book. You just need to take the time to go and find them, and then submit your book according to their guidelines. I recommend doing this at least 3 months before your book is due to be out if you can, as many are backlogged. One popular review site won't be able to review my first novel until January 25th of 2013. I submitted last November to them.

Other ways to get recognized are by getting on podcasts, or by doing giveaways. You can setup giveaways on librarything.com and goodreads.com (physical copies only for the latter) to get some reviews. Note that the return rate on librarything.com is very low. You can generally expect 3 - 5 reviews tops on average even if you give away 50 copies.

Lastly, do a press release. Getting a press release out there about your book is a good way to make it official, and you never know who will pick it up.

A good tip for podcasts is to try and look for something writing related, but not necessarily talking about yourself or your book. You're a new author that hasn't sold any books and that nobody has heard of. They're probably not interested in hearing you talk about your book. I just did an interview today on a podcast where I talked about details that are often missed in fantasy, as well as medieval weaponry. As a bonus, I get to include my bio so that everyone that listens to it will know who I am and what I've written.

Ultimately, as I've mentioned, word of mouth is going to be how you get most of your sales. So, if you're part of any communities that you think will like your book, pitch it to them. If you're a regular member, they'll probably be excited for you. However, don't just join a forum and go post a new topic about your book and then vanish. A lot of authors do that and it achieves nothing but making them look bad.

Anyway, that covers most of it.

So, how exactly do I prevent Mobipocket Creator from creating automatic paragraph 'jumps' (don't know the word) when converting it from a .docx file?

I have been able to fix everything else (not that much needs fixing), except that option. Is it some other setting in the paragraph menu?

1stStrike

Banned
So, how exactly do I prevent Mobipocket Creator from creating automatic paragraph 'jumps' (don't know the word) when converting it from a .docx file?

I have been able to fix everything else (not that much needs fixing), except that option. Is it some other setting in the paragraph menu?

Can you elaborate? Do you mean that it's adding an extra space between paragraphs? If it's converting it like that, then that's likely a formatting issue. Are you hard returning a lot or are you using breaks?

Have you tried downloading the HTML version from when you upload it to the KDP? What does it look like there? It might be as simple as the imbedded .css has something added that is causing the extra space.

On a related note, how does everyone manage their kindle version and Word version, in terms of changes? This has been my process, but it's obviously not the most ideal:

Once I got to a "final" version of the book, I uploaded it to KDP, downloaded the html, and worked on the formatting there. Then I uploaded the html of the Kindle version for publishing. The problem is now if I make a change to the primary manuscript, I have to manually find and edit the same thing in the html file.

Should I change the way my original manuscript is formatted in Word so it converts more seamlessly to the Kindle version? Or is this tedious process of changing things in 2 locations the only way to do it and keep the Kindle formatting in place?

Can you elaborate? Do you mean that it's adding an extra space between paragraphs? If it's converting it like that, then that's likely a formatting issue. Are you hard returning a lot or are you using breaks?

not between, but at the beginning of a new paragraph. (the indent)

btw, you can see it immediately when you download it for free.
I figured it wasn't "that bad" when I uploaded it. I kinda just wanted it done, to be honest.
But now I think I should fix it. I'm not sure what will happen when I update it though. Doesn't that put it offline for a few hours?

edit:

well, my 'awesome' *cough* google skills let me figure it out: Word does not add the HTML code for 'no indent'. And because of that, Kindle indents the paragraphs. Setting the 'first line' rule to 0.1 creates a very small and supposedly ignorable indent. I found it to look a bit "wierd' though. I will start looking at the HTML code for indents next, I guess.

Has anyone here tried Kickstarter as a way to promote/sell/fund a self-published novel? I see that they do actually allow that sort of thing and seems like something worth looking into, but I'm not sure how much success an unknown [or even little-known] writer would have.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Amazing thread! Thank you SO much for this! I'm getting to a point where I'm nearly done and just need to illustrate the cover and other illustrations, so the timing couldn't be more perfect! :D

Negative. Didn't seem worth it to me.

It doesn't really seem like there's a whole lot of effort required, though, except after all the money is collected and you start dolling out everyone's prizes. Of course, if you're already doing well with ebooks and self-publishing, yeah I could see how it wouldn't really be worth it.

I don't know, just seems like something I'd like to make a go at and see what happens.

At what length (wordcount) would you consider a piece of writing becomes a novella?
Currently I am 2000 words in, but if I go past 12000 I would most likely just expand it into a novella.

1stStrike

Banned
Great, looks like only 15000 to go!
I'd like to post some extracts to gather some opinions, but is there a dedicated thread for that? I'd rather not spam this one.

I don't recommend posting your writing here. A few paragraphs, perhaps, but nothing more. If you want proper feedback/advice, I recommend going to critiquecircle.com.

All the entries there are kept off the search engines, and you'll get a lot of good feedback from other writers that are interested in helping you improve.

Ugh. What's the best way to go about writing without critiquing everything you write? I go to write a paragraph or two and every time I do, I end up thinking it's garbage and scrapping it.

Exeunt

Ugh. What's the best way to go about writing without critiquing everything you write? I go to write a paragraph or two and every time I do, I end up thinking it's garbage and scrapping it.

As in getting into the right mindset to "just write"? I suppose the ultimate goal you would have is to be less cerebral about your writing, and go back and edit everything later—using pen and paper if you typically write on a computer might help you out if you find the temptation to always restructure is too high. But from your post you seem to indicate the main problem is the overall quality of what you have written.

I'm not an expert by any means, but one technique that exists to combat the "internal critic" is freewriting (writing everything that comes into your head onto the page). What I've done before—both in class and in practice—is freewrite for about ten minutes and then move onto whatever the project is shortly after (i.e. within the next ten or so minutes). In theory that gets you out of the "internal editor" mindset and lets you just lay your ideas out without stopping to judge or critique.

If that doesn't work, I would still suggest that a great way to stop the internal critic is by working out a rhythm in your writing. If you can get caught up in a flow, as it were, it becomes harder to break it and pick apart what you've already written—you want to keep moving forward. I find that planning what I'm going to write often helps in that regard, but if you become highly motivated about what you are writing then hopefully you will find the urge to move forward overpowers the compulsion to look back.

If all else fails, just keep going anyway. I've written stuff I thought was crap, that I thought didn't work—and I said to myself that I would go back and fix it later after I finished a draft of the project. Apparently your unconscious can work on creative problems over time, so you might just find that you think of a way to rewrite the passage in question or some other scene you want to use instead; in any case the important thing is you have a draft on paper/the computer that you can work with. While I doubt this is a definitive answer to your question (if such a thing exists), I hope it's at least served as a starting point for you to work with.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
As in getting into the right mindset to "just write"? I suppose the ultimate goal you would have is to be less cerebral about your writing, and go back and edit everything later—using pen and paper if you typically write on a computer might help you out if you find the temptation to always restructure is too high. But from your post you seem to indicate the main problem is the overall quality of what you have written.

I'm not an expert by any means, but one technique that exists to combat the "internal critic" is freewriting (writing everything that comes into your head onto the page). What I've done before—both in class and in practice—is freewrite for about ten minutes and then move onto whatever the project is shortly after (i.e. within the next ten or so minutes). In theory that gets you out of the "internal editor" mindset and lets you just lay your ideas out without stopping to judge or critique.

If that doesn't work, I would still suggest that a great way to stop the internal critic is by working out a rhythm in your writing. If you can get caught up in a flow, as it were, it becomes harder to break it and pick apart what you've already written—you want to keep moving forward. I find that planning what I'm going to write often helps in that regard, but if you become highly motivated about what you are writing then hopefully you will find the urge to move forward overpowers the compulsion to look back.

If all else fails, just keep going anyway. I've written stuff I thought was crap, that I thought didn't work—and I said to myself that I would go back and fix it later after I finished a draft of the project. Apparently your unconscious can work on creative problems over time, so you might just find that you think of a way to rewrite the passage in question or some other scene you want to use instead; in any case the important thing is you have a draft on paper/the computer that you can work with. While I doubt this is a definitive answer to your question (if such a thing exists), I hope it's at least served as a starting point for you to work with.

I came to post something very similar to this. Set your goal for the writing session (like the word count), then type in the hell of the keyboard without looking back. After you finish, get into your editing mode.

I agree with the last paragraph, by the way. I have improved or fixed a lot of ideas/synopsis/scenarios/etc. by leaving them a few days in the cold and then revisiting them.

It's simple advice, but just keep writing. Don't worry about how good or how bad anything is right now, just sit down in front of your computer and start typing until you've reached some preset goal. Start small at first [maybe 500 or 1000 words], as you get more comfortable with writing, then increase that goal.

Just write.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

The same as the other guys just above have said, but I'll slant it a bit different:

"Give yourself the luxury of a draft."

Every damn writer from whenever until now has revised their works. Everybody doesn't write the paragraphs they want straight off. Everybody needs to fiddle and play around with and adjust and expand/delete/collapse/explain and so on what they have written.

Every damn writer can only do this if they have written something in the first place so they can play with it.

So if you write a paragraph or two, it doesn't matter if you think it is garbage - DO NOT SCRAP IT. Revise it instead. It might not still be very good - but it will be better.

Scrapping stuff is bad news.

A lot of good advice here about "just writing". I think that's one of the great things about NaNoWriMo - the insanity of the word count and short deadline forces you to get past the inner editor if you want to succeed. Sure a lot of what you produce won't be gold, but it can free you up to write something great as a result, either through editing your NaNoWriMo book or inspiring you to work on something else.

Delio

So I have a question that I got kind of answered on another forum but wanted a second opinion. In my novel I have quite a few fights mostly between my heroes and monsters. But I was informed that to many fights can get boring for the reader. I'd like the opinion of writing gaf here. How many fights is too many?

So I have a question that I got kind of answered on another forum but wanted a second opinion. In my novel I have quite a few fights mostly between my heroes and monsters. But I was informed that to many fights can get boring for the reader. I'd like the opinion of writing gaf here. How many fights is too many?

I recently read a novel called Giant Thief and it was nothing but running from the bad guy. While moments of fleeing can be exciting, when it gets to the point where there's no rest from it and no opportunity for characters to develop, it becomes tiresome.

So I don't think there's any magic number, but as long as you leave time for characters to develop and change, you should be ok. There's nothing wrong with action, but as a reader I need to care about the hero as a character before I will be interested in the outcome of a life or death situation.

Delio

Yeah I mean I have tons of interaction between the mains. Although they only really have three major fights with the main badguys and the rest are with minor monsters. But I'm thinking long and hard about the little fights.

I think, like most things, that would depend on your audience, no?

I, for one, always like a well written fight scene. And I think most avid fantasy readers wouldn't mind as much.

Delio

I think, like most things, that would depend on your audience, no?

I, for one, always like a well written fight scene. And I think most avid fantasy readers wouldn't mind as much.

Well it's going to be aimed at a Young Adult audience so they might enjoy it more.

1stStrike

Banned

Pacing has a lot to do with it, but if they have to fight a lot then you have to make each one of them unique. Also, the fight scenes need to move the plot forward. If they don't achieve this, then they aren't worth adding into the story.

Delio

Pacing has a lot to do with it, but if they have to fight a lot then you have to make each one of them unique. Also, the fight scenes need to move the plot forward. If they don't achieve this, then they aren't worth adding into the story.

That's how I had it set up. Depending on the victim each fight was it's own experince and did add into the main plot.

ocLyh.jpg

I spent waaaaay too much time trying to figure out how to merge different images in a way that didn't look like total garbage. Still, it turned out reasonably well, I think.

Eagle-eyed Gaffers will recognize the title from a NaNoWriMo novel-writing month of olden times.

Delio

ocLyh.jpg

I spent waaaaay too much time trying to figure out how to merge different images in a way that didn't look like total garbage. Still, it turned out reasonably well, I think.

Eagle-eyed Gaffers will recognize the title from a NaNoWriMo novel-writing month of olden times.

So how did you make this cover?

The bulk of the work was finding old, public domain pictures that also had an appropriate look [finding the picture of the kid was HARD] and then cropping and merging them with Corel Photo-Paint 7 [not Photoshop, because I roll like a BOSS].

The only thing I don't like is the flat grey box in the bottom half, but I couldn't figure out anything to do with that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I have had this idea in mind for a while. I don't know how to get started. This thread is about publishing, but what about getting started into writing something?

I want to make it short to start with, so I can then go over it again and again and hopefully turn it into something better.

I had, just before christmas, four short-stories going on in my head. Wrote all of them down (for the most part) and then I discovered that they all share a common theme. I think I'm planning on weaving them all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom