• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 was remarkable as a successor

Jubenhimer

Typically, when you find success with your first hit product, you build on it and make it better. That's exactly what the Microsoft Corporation did with the Xbox's sequel, the Xbox 360. While the original Xbox didn't touch the PlayStation 2's 150+ million units sold, it still did quite well for Microsoft's first platform, sitting at a solid 24 million units sold, carried largely by the success of Halo: Combat Evolved and its sequel. With the next generation on the horizon, Microsoft aimed to get a head-start by launching first in 2005. The Xbox 360 was first shown to the world on MTV in 2005, followed by a more detailed reveal at E3 that year. HD was a rising new technology at the time, and Microsoft aimed to use Video Games as a vehicle to drive adoption. Thus, the 360 was designed with High-Definition displays in mind. Packing in powerful technology for its time, the Xbox 360 was positioned as the flagship console for HD gaming. Of course all that power means nothing if you can't use it, and much like its predecessor, Microsoft made the 360 as easy as possible for developers to make games for it.

What made the Xbox 360 such a great console at first, was the fact that Microsoft built on the foundations of the original Xbox, and simply made it better. Getting the system out early allowed Microsoft to gain a head-start in securing big 3rd party support. As with the original Xbox, Dead or Alive was a headline launch title with Dead or Alive 4, serving as a graphical showpiece for what the HD era will bring. The early days of the 360 were filled with top-notch exclusives, and superior versions of third party titles such as Gears of War, Dead Rising, Fable II, Mass Effect, the Aforementioned DoA 4, Ninja Gaiden II, Assassin's Creed, Halo 3, The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy XI, Skate, Blue Dragon, and many more. Aside from games, Microsoft also led the way in services. Xbox Live, the online gaming network that revolutionized online multiplayer, was further developed on the Xbox 360. With new additions like achievements, cross-game chat, and the Xbox Live Marketplace allowing for downloadable game content and The Xbox Live Arcade, a service that at the time, was a leading distributor in games from independent developers.

Getting the console out early however, came at a hefty price. The unconventional design of the Xbox 360 created the Red Ring of Death. A system error that plagued nearly 30% of all original models. It got so bad that Microsoft began offering extended warranties, and spent large amounts of money trying to fix the problem.

But aside from that, for its time, the Xbox 360 was THE platform to get if you wanted a main console. Sony's PlayStation 3 stumbled in its early days with its overly-complex architecture, terrible messaging, and high price, and Nintendo decided to ditch the main console race altogether, and instead targeted an undeserved non-gamer audience with the motion controlled Wii, which ended up outselling both Sony and Microsoft's consoles in the end. But the 360 was the best console of its generation as a major gaming platform. That is, until new Xbox management at Microsoft proceeded to sabotage it with a decline in compelling exclusives, and attempt to mimic Nintendo's strategy with Xbox Live Avatars, and the Kinect peripheral, which while successful at first, ultimately ended up as a short-lived fad, all while Sony was catching up rapidly both in sales and mind-share. This culminated into the disastrous pre-launch of the Xbox One, which seeked to demand tighter control on how users can play games, as well as a shady mandatory Kinect requirement with potential spying worries.

Sure the RRoD was unfortunate, and the console's reputation deteriorated later in its life, but it still amazes me how much Microsoft got right with the Xbox 360. It took the philosophy that powered the Xbox, and simply did it better, and with great games, exclusives, services, and an iconic controller, Microsoft helped lead the way in modern gaming.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
There is no point that xbox 360 was a "Great console" if we have problems like this.

3671380825_ec02136719_b.jpg

xbox_360_disc_scratch-625x352.jpg

It was the last time I bought something from the Xbox brand, since then I have never had confidence in the brand.

3 times with problem Red light of death and the ultimate rage of this console was that a have a scratch of Gears of War game that i was buy new 1 week ago .

pramod

Banned
The hardware issues are unfortunate but despite that its still one of my all time favorite consoles. If you include all the XBLA games it has one of the greatest game libraries ever. And MS's (failed) attempt early on to give it greater appeal in Japan ended up giving it a good dose of Japanese RPGs and niche games. Culdcept Saga and EDF 2017 were 2 of my fave games from last gen.

Jubenhimer

The hardware issues are unfortunate but despite that its still one of my all time favorite consoles. If you include all the XBLA games it has one of the greatest game libraries ever. And MS's (failed) attempt early on to give it greater appeal in Japan ended up giving it a good dose of Japanese RPGs and niche games. Culdcept Saga and EDF 2017 were 2 of my fave games from last gen.

That's another great point. While the orignal Xbox was somewhat lackluster in support from Japanese developers, the Xbox 360 got Japanese games in spades in its first few years with lots of RPGs, action and Fighting games. For a while, the 360 was a better PS2 successor than the actual PS2 successor from Sony.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Red Ring of Death

Honestly, the 360 only looks good when compared to what came directly before and after it. It finished in last place for its generation for a reason.

Last edited:
The only thing I never liked about the 360 was the amount of discs required to switch when a game couldn't fit into a single disc.... Aka Lost Odyssey. Other than that, the intercooler seemed to expand the shitty OG 360 model life from going Red Ring.

Klayzer

That's another great point. While the orignal Xbox was somewhat lackluster in support from Japanese developers, the Xbox 360 got Japanese games in spades in its first few years with lots of RPGs, action and Fighting games. For a while, the 360 was a better PS2 successor than the actual PS2 successor from Sony.
That early JPN 360 support was legendary. Fond memories of: TLR, Blue Dragon, Infinite Discovery, Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden 2, Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean 4, Magna Carta 2, Death Smiles, and many more big/small releases.

Jubenhimer

Honestly, the 360 only looks good when compared to what came directly before and after it. It finished in last place for its generation for a reason.

But not by much though. It's easy to forget now with Microsoft trying to rebuild the strength of the Xbox brand, but the 360 had such a great start early in its life. It had the third party support, it had awesome exclusives, it had the best online services, and was the leading platform for the main 7th gen race.

Sure, a bizarre shift in strategy damaged the brand's reputation towards the end of its life, but its hard to deny that Microsoft back then was trouncing the PS3.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Red Ring of Death

The fact that X360 ate up as much PlayStation market share as it did makes it more than just a Microsoft success. If it weren’t for the 360, I think MS would have left home consoles a long time ago.

HeresJohnny

It was a wonderful, wonderful machine sullied only by hardware issues and Kinect. Kinect was more cancerous than the hardware issues it turned out. Still a legendary system and probably the best Microsoft has ever been in this market, save the last couple of Mattrick years.

nush

The unconventional design of the Xbox 360 created the Red Ring of Death. A system error that plagued nearly 30% of all original models.

It wasn't the design per say, it was rushed and didn't get enough age testing to find the issue before mass production.

It was pretty cool for the first few years, I have a lot of fond memories, although the red ring of death really did suck big time, it happened to me like 3 times.

And the Kinect was stupid, but 360 was the last Xbox console I've owned, so it did something right.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoy 360 for its first half but after Alan Wake they kind stop releasing games for it I realized I haven't used my 360 for years, so I sold it off.

Aintitcool

Banned
For what the thread is trying to achieve I feel the xbox one X proves a lot more how now MS have a great insight into hardware design and responding to the failure of the xbox one. Going straight into the S, and now discless xbox.

The 360 had an amazing software team dedicated to it and was incredible in that front. Hardware was bad for a long time.

Jubenhimer

I enjoy 360 for its first half but after Alan Wake they kind stop releasing games for it I realized I haven't used my 360 for years, so I sold it off.

The first half of the 360's life was fantastic. Like I said, it had the best third party support, great first party games and exclusives, as well as the best services on consoles. 2009 or so marked the start of a decline, accellerated by 2010 onwards with its heavy emphasis on Kinect, which as I mentioned, was an overhyped fad that barely lasted 2 years before fizzling. The less said about the Xbox One pre-launch the better. Luckily, Xbox and Microsoft are getting back on the right track.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The first half of the 360's life was fantastic. Like I said, it had the best third party support, great first party games and exclusives, as well as the best services on consoles. 2009 or so marked the start of a decline, accellerated by 2010 onwards with its heavy emphasis on Kinect, which as I mentioned, was an overhyped fad that barely lasted 2 years before fizzling. The less said about the Xbox One pre-launch the better. Luckily, Xbox and Microsoft are getting back on the right track.
That was my biggest reason I chose 360 over PS3 at beginning of last gen.
The 360 had an amazing software team dedicated to it and was incredible in that front. Hardware was bad for a long time.
If thats the case then I rather have console with strong software over having better hardware any day. This gen Xbox One X showed me that you can have "strongest Console" on the market but if it doesn't have games then power means shit to me.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
My 360 died in 2008 when I was halfway through Mass Effect and it kinda snuffed my interest in the platform. OG Xbox / Dreamcast / PC owner during the previous generation.

Bought a new 360 a few years ago to play shmups, Halo, Viva Pinata, and some BC Xbox games like Outrun 2.

stranno

The og 360 model wasnt HD tho. It just supported component cable up to 1080i. 1080p was added in late 2006. And HDMI was added in the Zephyr motherboard in mid 2007.

pawel86ck

Banned
I had ROD in my slim model, people have said it wasnt a good idea to repair it but I have did it anyway. My x360 GPU was reballed, and also cooler was replaced with much more efficient one (temperatures before around 80°C, after repair at 55°C). I have paid 60$ for that repair in 2010 and my xbox 360 slim model works great even today after playing hundreds of games.

Sony PS3 consoles also had hardware problems, my launch ps3 60GB model had yellow light of death somewhere around 2012, but I bought a new one Slim model that was much cooler and quieter.

It has some fantastic games but from a hardware point of view it was noisy and unreliable. Still play mine so that speaks volume about the quality of the games. The original Xbox was a milestone in gaming for me with the original Halo being my all time favourite launch game. I remember the Edge magazine with Halo, PGR, and Jet Set Radio Future in and was amazed. Never really felt that way again since.

From a software perspective, absolutely. From the perspective of hardware quality? No.
Never had problems with the original Xbox, but I did find out randomly that the drive made scratches on my discs. As a person who treats his discs with the greatest of care, I was absolutely FURIOUS.

Vowed never to get another Xbox product again ever since. Shame, because I really liked the large amount of games I bought for it.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
How can it be a successor if the console died quicker than the one it was supposed to be replacing? No really mine died as much as my PS2 systems.
8510b2408f3fcdd1d9a140d84c291e7035b08d86_hq.jpg

Oh well at least Sega supported it as much as they did the original Xbox. The same can't be said for their Xbox One offerings.

From a software perspective, absolutely. From the perspective of hardware quality? No.
Never had problems with the original Xbox, but I did find out randomly that the drive made scratches on my discs. As a person who treats his discs with the greatest of care, I was absolutely FURIOUS.

Vowed never to get another Xbox product again ever since. Shame, because I really liked the large amount of games I bought for it.
I feel your pain. However with owning so many PS2 and Xbox 360 games I had no choice but to get their next systems just so I could play them again without worrying about disc read errors, scratching, or red rings. Stopping the Xbox One backward compatibility program was a mistake for Microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Breakage

For me it was the best console last gen. I didn't like the look of OG 360 (it looks like a sanitary towel from the front and way the hard drive is bolted on to the side only adds to its unattractiveness).
The software quality took a dive towards the end, but I feel the 360 was a better package overall when compared to the PS3.
I've still got my 2008 360 under my TV.

xool

Loved the 360. Great looking console too. Fuck the RROD.

The unconventional design of the Xbox 360 created the Red Ring of Death. A system error that plagued nearly 30% of all original models. It got so bad that Microsoft began offering extended warranties, and spent large amounts of money trying to fix the problem.
Just saying it wasn't unconventional design - they just fucked up on the cooling, with a pitifully inadequate heatsink with no heat pipes on the GPU .. (see below)

I had ROD in my slim model, people have said it wasnt a good idea to repair it but I have did it anyway. My x360 GPU was reballed, and also cooler was replaced with much more efficient one (temperatures before around 80°C, after repair at 55°C). I have paid 60$ for that repair in 2010 and my xbox 360 slim model works great even today after playing hundreds of games.
My OG 360 came back from MS's official repair with a new huge ass heatsink on the GPU and enough heat pipes to cool a nuclear power station - worked fine after that.

Never had problems with the original Xbox, but I did find out randomly that the drive made scratches on my discs.

Caused by missing rubber pads that literally cost under $0.001 https://hexus.net/gaming/items/xbox-360/8521-microsoft-admits-xbox-360-may-cause-disk-scratches/

This and the heatsink think make me think there was arrogant "we don't need that" somewhere in the design team. But if you ever took a 360 apart you'd see that the rest of it was a solid quality product that hadn't been skimped on elsewhere .. they just f-ed up on the little things.

I wonder if nextgen Xbox is going to show that f-ing up is part of their DNA ? Or can they break the jinx

Last edited:

scydrex

Yes and no. The 360 was a great success for MS but the hardware issues were a nightmare for customers. I had 2 360 RROD on me.

My friends who had 360 had at least 3 or 4 360. Each time they would buy a new one and fix the 360 RROD and sell it. That was like a common thing back then.

For me it was the best console last gen. I didn't like the look of OG 360 (it looks like a sanitary towel from the front and way the hard drive is bolted on to the side only adds to its unattractiveness).
The software quality took a dive towards the end, but I feel the 360 was a better package overall when compared to the PS3.
I've still got my 2008 360 under my TV.

Personally I like the look of the OG 360 a lot actually.

Ascend

There is no point that xbox 360 was a "Great console" if we have problems like this.

3671380825_ec02136719_b.jpg

xbox_360_disc_scratch-625x352.jpg

It was the last time I bought something from the Xbox brand, since then I have never had confidence in the brand.

3 times with problem Red light of death and the ultimate rage of this console was that a have a scratch of Gears of War game that i was buy new 1 week ago .
Although that's understandable, the fact that despite these issues it basically beat the PS3, is testament to how great the platform was, despite the initial hardware having so many faults.
Later iterations of the X360 and following consoles do not have these issues, and refraining from jumping to Xbox again because of a more than 10 year old issue is being stuck in the past.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yeah, it was really surprising.

But it's a second lesson on "how not to rush a console" - the first one was with the Saturn.

4 RROD's, 1 hardware failure that was clearly a RROD, but the light didn't do the RROD thing so MS tried to screw me over, that simultaneously destroyed my copy of Earth Defense Force 2017, and a malfunctioned disc trey that I finally just traded into gamestop for a Slim. Good times....... :messenger_unamused:
Yes and no. The 360 was a great success for MS but the hardware issues were a nightmare for customers. I had 2 360 RROD on me.
Only 2? Lucky!

nush

4 RROD's, 1 hardware failure that was clearly a RROD, but the light didn't do the RROD thing so MS tried to screw me over, that simultaneously destroyed my copy of Earth Defense Force 2017, and a malfunctioned disc trey that I finally just traded into gamestop for a Slim. Good times....... :messenger_unamused:

Only 2? Lucky!
I had three and a dev kit RROD on me, by then the slim was out and I've nad no problems with it since.

Birdo

Banned
The disc drive noise was far too much for me. People think PS4 pros sound like hair driers? Sheeeeeeeit.

When they released an update that let you install games to the HDD, it was a god send.

DanielsM

Banned
The days of J Allard and Bach are very much missed, the original Xbox was great other than the faulty DVD players, the Xbox 360 was great other than the RROD (I actually had 2 RROD, one of which had to have the DVD player replaced before the RROD). I have a slim and one that looks like a Xbone those work well still. Beginning of the cycle was nice as far as UI, OS support, and game selection. Once the two Gamecubes duct taped together (Wii) stole the show with the casual gamer, Microsoft started dropping most of the hardcore direction, dropping studios as well, etc.... and started work on the Kinect... the rest is history.

The beginning of the cycle was very good, the end of cycle was very weak (even though sales were going up)... this eventually lead to the 2013 thru present era. (chasing the next big thing)

Ten_Fold

From 05 till about 2010 the Xbox 360 was that console and I still think it was the overall best out of the 3, Still till this day I remember being really shocked in high school seeing Japanese games on the 360, I just assumed they would only be on the ps3 but the fact that the 360 had a nice amount of jrpgs, to me it felt more like a ps3 than the ps3. I’m not into the whole making a movie into a game direction Sony went into. Hopefully Microsoft can do what they did in the early 360 days.

It's run pretty good but bad side of it there is no exclusives that born to it....only stuck @halogearforza cycle same as Xbox one on jrpg lovers meanwhile it's failed to grab the south East Asian region due there is no good Japanese games on it(mostly that lost oddesey save it and tales of vesperia then poof it's gone again via 5years to wait a new jrpg game..

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nahhhh biggest failure rate in console history made sure it killed that hype. That was ridiculous. And the info tht came out later after class action lawsuits forced Microsoft to honor and extend warranties was even worse (Microsoft knowingly shipped faulty hardware in order to beat Sony to release).

pr0cs

The og 360 model wasnt HD tho. It just supported component cable up to 1080i. 1080p was added in late 2006. And HDMI was added in the Zephyr motherboard in mid 2007.
HD was classified as anything beyond 480p, the og 360 was still considered HD

Its success so early it's like kingdom hearts 1 experience route it's begin @ dawn(its success so good but it's only on 4 to 5 years then in next 5 year started to slowing down due no more interesting games releasing on it......then start MS release a elite version to save it then they used Backwards Compatible on Xbox one to save remaining hope on it but it's backfired due "always online excuse E3 reveal"

Yeah i think within the first week of Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion coming out my 360 scratched the shit out of the disc. Luckily, a mom and pop video shop in my town would let you use their disc fixing machine for free and oblivion worked again. Heh, when the woman behind the counter saw the disc she was like "Ah yes we get lots of those".

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Nahhhh biggest failure rate in console history made sure it killed that hype. That was ridiculous. And the info tht came out later after class action lawsuits forced Microsoft to honor and extend warranties was even worse (Microsoft knowingly shipped faulty hardware in order to beat Sony to release).

Microsoft never knowingly shipped faulty hardware, they would of pulled the launch otherwise. Millions of consoles got released before the issues started showing up a couple of years in once the hardware cooked its self over time, it then took so much longer to roll out a fix while consoles kept selling with the S.

I'll give it to Microsoft, my OG Pro only RRoD me the once and they sent me a free shipping label and did a full fix for free a few years in and sent it back to my door step. Sony told me to pay up $400 for them to fix my YLOD PS3 just over a year old out of warranty.

The console was a beast, the Japanese gaming support was amazing. I would say it held a greater Japanese game line up then the PS3 or PS4 still to this date. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom