• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox 360 was remarkable as a successor

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Loved the original 360 :messenger_smiling_hearts:. The blades were great, it definitely lost something for me when the new style OS appeared :messenger_frowning_

Never had an RROD or scratched disc. Loved the controller (still prefer it to the Xbox One controller) - the green light segments look better than the Xbox One silver disc thing to me - loved being able to rip CDs to it. The introduction of achievements was a masterstroke.

It was just all so exciting at the time :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Microsoft never knowingly shipped faulty hardware, they would of pulled the launch otherwise. Millions of consoles got released before the issues started showing up a couple of years in once the hardware cooked its self over time, it then took so much longer to roll out a fix while consoles kept selling with the S.

I'll give it to Microsoft, my OG Pro only RRoD me the once and they sent me a free shipping label and did a full fix for free a few years in and sent it back to my door step. Sony told me to pay up $400 for them to fix my YLOD PS3 just over a year old out of warranty.

The console was a beast, the Japanese gaming support was amazing. I would say it held a greater Japanese game line up then the PS3 or PS4 still to this date. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey alone.

Bs thy tested and knew. I've had this conversation before with ppl and posted articles but I won't go through tht again. At the rate and the amount of systems tht rrod only a fool would be so gullible to think thy didnt know lol. Greedy corps ain't your friends bro. You give it to Microsoft? Bro don't be a Schill it's well documented tht when rrod was widespread they denied it was an issue until hundreds started a class action lawsuit and through courts thy were forced to admit and extend their warranty. These are the same ppl tht had their systems rrod a few weeks after the one year warranty and Microsoft made them pay full or buy a new one. Give it to the gamers and court system thts who allowed ppl to claim rrod and get a quick system back..

Tons of articles about all this stuff. Thy weren't friendly towards gamers thy actually tried to play gamers. Don't come with revisionist history, thnx.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
The 360 was actually a piece of crap.

The 360/PS3 generation was the first one that actually didn't feel like a big leap. It basically set the expectations for new generations being "more of the same at higher resolutions."

The PS2/Gamecube/Xbox was the last generation where it really felt like it was possible to do shit we couldn't do before.

DanielsM

Banned
Microsoft never knowingly shipped faulty hardware, they would of pulled the launch otherwise. Millions of consoles got released before the issues started showing up a couple of years in once the hardware cooked its self over time, it then took so much longer to roll out a fix while consoles kept selling with the S.

I'll give it to Microsoft, my OG Pro only RRoD me the once and they sent me a free shipping label and did a full fix for free a few years in and sent it back to my door step. Sony told me to pay up $400 for them to fix my YLOD PS3 just over a year old out of warranty.

The console was a beast, the Japanese gaming support was amazing. I would say it held a greater Japanese game line up then the PS3 or PS4 still to this date. Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey alone.

Every product has a defect rate, what you are talking about makes no sense. It was well known in 2006 that those Xbox 360s were defective design, yet they kept selling them.

Kind of like the original Xbox had the Phillip DVD players, they kept selling them in the boxes for a few years because they were cheaper than the Samsung, iirc.

Last edited:

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
There is no point that xbox 360 was a "Great console" if we have problems like this.

3671380825_ec02136719_b.jpg

xbox_360_disc_scratch-625x352.jpg

It was the last time I bought something from the Xbox brand, since then I have never had confidence in the brand.

3 times with problem Red light of death and the ultimate rage of this console was that a have a scratch of Gears of War game that i was buy new 1 week ago .
THIS and the PS3 numerous issues are what sent me into PC gaming. After that, I never had the same love for consoles during the Xbone and PS4 era. I dabble now with PS4 and Switch. No hate just was a disappointment

Gamernyc78

Banned
THIS and the PS3 numerous issues are what sent me into PC gaming. After that, I never had the same love for consoles during the Xbone and PS4 era. I dabble now with PS4 and Switch. No hate just was a disappointment

My ps4 sometimes gets horny and has tht damn blu-ray eject issue lol and starts spitting it out but my og ps4 is still going strong after hours of daily use since day one.

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
My ps4 sometimes gets horny and has tht damn blu-ray eject issue lol and starts spitting it out but my og ps4 is still going strong after hours of daily use since day one.
I bought my PS4 pro bundle last year and haven't had any issues but I don't play it enough. Which is sad because for as much as I love Fromsoft I need to play bloodborne

Tesseract

Banned
had the 360 come out with a hard drive in every box and no ring failures, that thing would've absolutely beasted the industry

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
The 360, more than anything was lightening in a bottle that could probably never be replicated again, with good management that is no longer there. Consider the 360 had:

-Year Head Start, 2 years in some regions
-100-200 Dollar price advantage
-Sony seemingly lost in the woods for the first 3 years of the generation
-Significantly easier to program for than ps3
-Perceived as leading the charge for online multiplayer for console depite ps3 also having this, for free i might add
-Halo 2's cliff hanger story and halo being the phenomenon that it was at the time
-Gears of war LOOKING as good as it did on top of being a good game
-Close relationship with Epic made 360 the lead platform for unreal engine 3, which was the main engine at the time
-Solid First party games Like Fable, Banjo Kazoie, Kameo, and a few others
-Recruiting Big name Japanese Developers like Sakaguchi
-Square enix president at the time was very pro xbox and seemingly had it out for playstation at the time
-Marketing Rights to Call of Duty when it was at its peak popularity
-Former PS2 Exclusives started becoming Multi platform giving the impression that the 360 was the place to be
-Kinect, Impressive technology although not very functional for gaming gave the 360 a second wind
-Lots of timed 3rd party exclusives like Mass Effect and Bioshock. Either from aggressive deal making, hard to program for ps3, or sony incompetence

All of this confluence into a perfect storm that also had the planets align. It would be difficult. if not near impossible to replicate even half of these.

Going into 2020 and comparing to the 360s advantages, the scarletts uphill climb looks like:

-There will not be a year head start, in fact it seems like sony is further along than xbox with what little we know.
-Price yet remains to be seen for both but sony has indicted numerous times that the ps3s price was problematic.
-Both Scarlett and PS5 will have very similar architecture
-Service wise Xbox is ahead but Gamepass isnt helping with Hardware sales currently
-Both Halo and gears of war are shadows of their former selves
-Sony has dramatically increased first party focus, so much so that its one of their main selling points
-Japanese support has all but collapsed. Very little incentive to make xbox ports, even less so for exclusives
-Most Japanese devs saw the negative impact of betting on xbox and have adjusted priorities
-Sony, not Microsoft are now the ones seeking out 3rd party deals
-Kinect is dead in the water, sony is dabbling with VR, which perhaps at some point could become a hit.

Last edited:

-MD-

Honestly, I went through 4 of these things due to RROD and I'd still classify it as one of the best consoles ever. I lucked out with my gamestop warranty covering my first replacement and Microsoft getting the other 2 for me so I never had to buy the console more than once.

Everything else about it was stellar.

xool

The RROD thing makes me question the 360s sales numbers - if the XONE was frying itself at the rate of the 360 it'd be ahead of the PS4 sales by now.

I know MS sent me back someone elses that'd been fixed up, but a lot must have ended in the trash ?

DonF

I had an elite and later a slim. Both are still working to this day. Great console. I loved it, it gave me great games and a great online experience.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
loved my 360, had thousands of hours worth of gaming on there. had one RROD but Microsoft repaired it free of change. so many good games on that system, shame they messed about with the dashboard a bit to much near the end of its life. First console where online gaming became the norm.

Jubenhimer

The 360/PS3 generation was the first one that actually didn't feel like a big leap. It basically set the expectations for new generations being "more of the same at higher resolutions."

No, your thinking of current gen. 7th gen was actually a pretty massive leapover last gen, especially towards the end. It brought a lot to console gaming. Open world games, Complex, dynamic, environments, live services, etc. Current gen was much more tame by comparison. Yeah, it's a step up over last gen clearly, but not by a crazy huge margin. The difference is more like a PC game running on low settings vs Ultra settings, rather than a PS1-to-PS2 level gap.

Ascend

The RROD thing makes me question the 360s sales numbers - if the XONE was frying itself at the rate of the 360 it'd be ahead of the PS4 sales by now.

I know MS sent me back someone elses that'd been fixed up, but a lot must have ended in the trash ?
If that's true, it's a testament to how good a platform it actually was. Why else would anyone return to a system where they know the hardware will most likely fail in a few months? No one wants to buy the same console twice, let alone more than that. If they really did that, and that somehow bloated the sale numbers, it must have been REALLY good.

I think they simply had better sales, not because of the hardware failures, but in spite of it.

Gamernyc78

Banned
If that's true, it's a testament to how good a platform it actually was. Why else would anyone return to a system where they know the hardware will most likely fail in a few months? No one wants to buy the same console twice, let alone more than that. If they really did that, and that somehow bloated the sale numbers, it must have been REALLY good.

I think they simply had better sales, not because of the hardware failures, but in spite of it.

Not saying it wasn't good but just maybeeeee ppl had already invested in software aka lots of games and thy didn't want to lose out on the games thy already bought. If I have more than five games for a system I'm invested in the eco system plus add to tht achievements thy already received playing certain multiplayer games and thts a reason for ppl not to just move along.

Jubenhimer

Not saying it wasn't good but just maybeeeee ppl had already invested in software aka lots of games and thy didn't want to lose out on the games thy already bought. If I have more than five games for a system I'm invested in the eco system plus add to tht achievements thy already received playing certain multiplayer games and thts a reason for ppl not to just move along.

RRoD sucked, but people were willing to look past that because everything else about the 360 was so good.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

I re-connected mine for the first time in a while just to play Top Spin again....8 years on it still hasn't been bettered even with the PS4 and Xbox's in town....

ksdixon

I can't get over how much better the x360's dashboard is. In the my games area it's just a horizontal row of every game you own, and you can filter and arrange things. No slowdown going in and out of menus etc. I hate my xbox one in comparison.

Gamernyc78

Banned
RRoD sucked, but people were willing to look past that because everything else about the 360 was so good.

Bro my 360 rrod and I didnt go back and moved on to the competitor. All my friends had 360s and almost all rrod more than once and most my friends bought another because thy had invested time and money in software. There were different reasons why ppl stayed of course for some it had to do with having a better online and multiplats for others it was what I mentioned.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This response isn't relevant to his post and seems to be trying to start some warz.
I know your name well and I know u get butt hurt at any negative comment towards Microsoft bcus your schilling. I thought I had you on ignore 🤣thnx for reminding me to do so. It's very relevant as he made a blanket statement of ppl going back to 360 after rrod because it was so good, sorry buddy I wasn't one of them so blanket statements shouldn't be made.

Iced Arcade

Last gen was the faulty gen but great at the same time. had 3 xbox's die but they had an amazing 3 year warranty and my fat PS3 died (sony just said oh well) but I eventually got a slim PS3 on sale later on.

CJY

Banned
Got in that Christmas it launched. RROD the day after christmas. Replaced well after new years. Was my first taste of HD gaming. Was great until I played Uncharted on PS3. The next day I sold the 360 and never looked back.

DiscoJer

Honestly, the 360 really kinda sucked as hardware compared to the original Xbox.

At least initially. Like all Xboxes had a hard drive. So games would cache themselves on it, greatly improving loading times (at least once it installed). Then you had custom soundtracks fully integrated into games, a feature that presumably will never exist again, since people no longer want to own music (either mp3 or cd) and instead just want to stream spotify.

The Xbox also had by far the best graphics of its competitors, only the GC rivaled it and it didn't have the 3rd party support of the Xbox.

The 360 got better when you could install games to a USB drive. But its graphics were never great. It only caught on because it was so cheap and the PS3 so expensive

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The 360 was a very good console and one that I have a lot of great memories playing.

It's a damn shame that the RRoD issue held back a considerable amount of momentum.

Im not sure that MS will ever have a software lineup as great as Fall 2007 with Bioshock, Halo 3, Mass Effect and having an Xbox Live killer App in Call of Duty Modern Warfare. That was also when Guitar Hero was (for better or worse) in it's prime. The only thing the PS3 had going for it Ratchet and Clank.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Bs thy tested and knew. I've had this conversation before with ppl and posted articles but I won't go through tht again. At the rate and the amount of systems tht rrod only a fool would be so gullible to think thy didnt know lol. Greedy corps ain't your friends bro. You give it to Microsoft? Bro don't be a Schill it's well documented tht when rrod was widespread they denied it was an issue until hundreds started a class action lawsuit and through courts thy were forced to admit and extend their warranty. These are the same ppl tht had their systems rrod a few weeks after the one year warranty and Microsoft made them pay full or buy a new one. Give it to the gamers and court system thts who allowed ppl to claim rrod and get a quick system back..

Tons of articles about all this stuff. Thy weren't friendly towards gamers thy actually tried to play gamers. Don't come with revisionist history, thnx.

Brah, Microsoft is my friend I own a large amount of shares in the company. You haven't proven once Microsoft knew the product was defectable at launch like you claimed unless you believe a journalist with no source? The fact is the xbox 360 launched in 2005. By 2007 they had a world wide warranty system in place. Where's my PS3 warranty to this day? $1,000 for a system to break 12 months later? Any 360 that RRoD after launch was able to be replaced for free even if a user replaced the system with a new one in 2006 and had one sitting in the cupboard for 12 months.

Every product has a defect rate, what you are talking about makes no sense. It was well known in 2006 that those Xbox 360s were defective design, yet they kept selling them.

Kind of like the original Xbox had the Phillip DVD players, they kept selling them in the boxes for a few years because they were cheaper than the Samsung, iirc.

What are you talking about lad? All I said is there is no way Microsoft knew of the RRoD issue before launching in 2005 being such an issue that it turned out to be. If people want to report Microsoft knew of the issue before launch please show me the sauce.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Brah, Microsoft is my friend I own a large amount of shares in the company. You haven't proven once Microsoft knew the product was defectable at launch like you claimed unless you believe a journalist with no source? The fact is the xbox 360 launched in 2005. By 2007 they had a world wide warranty system in place. Where's my PS3 warranty to this day? $1,000 for a system to break 12 months later? Any 360 that RRoD after launch was able to be replaced for free even if a user replaced the system with a new one in 2006 and had one sitting in the cupboard for 12 months.

What are you talking about lad? All I said is there is no way Microsoft knew of the RRoD issue before launching in 2005 being such an issue that it turned out to be. If people want to report Microsoft knew of the issue before launch please show me the sauce.

I know your name well lol the denial is real lol no talking sense to you. Yeah Microsoft put the warranty in place out of good faith and to make you happy lol It had nothing to do with being forced by class action lawsuits 😉😁😂I'm glad you found a Corp tht puts your interest above their own lol 👏👀. RROD wasn't even coverable under warranty lol until thy were taken to court and made to include it hence ppl buying two or three xbox360. That's cute though thy need to hire you for damage control.

What thy did to gamers was disgusting and borderline fraud. Ignored the issue, then said it didbt exist and didnt add it to warranty until those lawsuits started to pop up and were forced to acknowledge it foh with tht revisionist, fanboy bs. Use the internet it's your friend. This shit public knowledge.

DanielsM

Banned

Yes and no.

Microsoft never knowingly shipped faulty hardware, they would of pulled the launch otherwise.

Well, you have two things there... 1.) whether they shipped faulty hardware and 2.) whether they would have scrapped the launch knowing that hardware was not up to standards.

Obviously they shipped faulty hardware, this is of true of any company generally speaking... depends on what percentage of failure we're talking about, whether they would have pulled the launch is really just a strawman argument, obviously limited testing was done or ignored. Here's an article that should shine some light on the issue, they knew they were having issues with too much heat. I would not be surprised if 90% failure rate right now on the first couple of years of production at this point, everyone I know when through 2-3 of them within just the first few years. Rushing to get it out the door, than they tried to ignore the problem... basically saying the faulty units were within standards.

Its water under the bridge at this point, but let's not try and rewrite history, you have to understand it does come with the territory sometimes.

By August 2005, three months before launch, Microsoft engineers reported a plethora of issues with the system, almost all of which came down to one problem: heat.

Last edited:

entremet

It was. RROD is unfortunate, but the 360 early's strategy was something Sony copied for the PS4 almost to a tee.

--Standard computer hardware(PowerPC in this case) instead of exotic chips
--Focus on indie. MS was here first with Braid, Castle Crashers, etc.
--Focus on the hardcore
--Aggressive co-marketing deals
--They even copied the pay for online play lol
--Invest on Western AAA productions and cede Japan to Nintendo

Mattrick went after the casuals with Kinect and the MS lost its momentum. Phil Spencer has been cleaning up his mess ever since.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
No, your thinking of current gen. 7th gen was actually a pretty massive leapover last gen, especially towards the end. It brought a lot to console gaming. Open world games, Complex, dynamic, environments, live services, etc. Current gen was much more tame by comparison. Yeah, it's a step up over last gen clearly, but not by a crazy huge margin. The difference is more like a PC game running on low settings vs Ultra settings, rather than a PS1-to-PS2 level gap.

Nah. GTA3 was as open world as anything in 2001. There really hasn't been a massive leap in a long time.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I know your name well lol the denial is real lol no talking sense to you. Yeah Microsoft put the warranty in place out of good faith and to make you happy lol It had nothing to do with being forced by class action lawsuits 😉😁😂I'm glad you found a Corp tht puts your interest above their own lol 👏👀. RROD wasn't even coverable under warranty lol until thy were taken to court and made to include it hence ppl buying two or three xbox360. That's cute though thy need to hire you for damage control.

What thy did to gamers was disgusting and borderline fraud. Ignored the issue, then said it didbt exist and didnt add it to warranty until those lawsuits started to pop up and were forced to acknowledge it foh with tht revisionist, fanboy bs. Use the internet it's your friend. This shit public knowledge.

The spelling in this is enough to make my head hurt, the fact you've never been able to see other points of view objectionably while ignoring other points make this worthless continuing.

Yes and no.

I'm not denying they where aware of issues, every console has issues discovered in testing... I'm sure they had a suspect able failure rate they would allow.

I should of worded it a lot better and said they would of never shipped the hardware if they where aware of how widespread this issue was or what would end up happening to the first few years of consoles life. Gamer was implying they knew 90% of their consoles would RRoD after a year of use, that they where fully aware this would happen. That's just false reporting with not a single genuine source, they wouldn't of launched a console that they knew would cost them billions while still needing to replace every unit, they would of delayed production by 6 months and fixed the issue.

I believe the PS3 60gb had a lot more widespread issues with the same issue of heat (YLOD) then their other models, they where able to solve that issue by just removing the console. Which is a shame being the best one. Not a real relevant point, just these manufactures knowingly launch product's they where of aware of having such high fail rates.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tremendous successor, could play original Xbox titles, Xbox Live obviously is a winner so now you have established yourself as a console maker. I think their AAA is strong (Halo 3, Gears 2, Forza) Microsoft's HQ turned into a graveyard though, giving your console back because of hardware failure? Now you got a nightmare which exactly what it was for many. Obviously Microsoft made their good graces with its consumers through the Xbox One.

Top Bottom