• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zelda TP spoiler thread: ALL SPOILERS IN HERE OR ELSE (late game spoilers itt)

Kandinsky

Dragona are you getting the Wii version? if yes, i can see why you are so worried about a "left hand" option, if not then =/

Amir0x

Banned
gamergirly said:
I dont think it matters what type of camera TP ends up having. Somebody is going to complain.

You don't think it matters what type of camera a huge 3D Zelda game has? I mean, besides the fact that a crappy camera or crappy angle can literally ruin an entire 3D game... you don't think it matters?

Wow.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
You don't think it matters what type of camera a huge 3D Zelda game has? I mean, besides the fact that a crappy camera or crappy angle can literally ruin an entire 3D game... you don't think it matters?

Wow.

He's saying that even if it was the best camera ever, some people will still bitch about it.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
He's saying that even if it was the best camera ever, some people will still bitch about it.

But, seriously... unless the game is set up like God of War, a non-controllable camera in a 3D Zelda game is very dangerous, if not a disaster. I've never once played a 3D Zelda game where I wasn't constantly shifting the camera around. But, I believe that people could control the camera before so did they change this?

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
But, seriously... unless the game is set up like God of War, a non-controllable camera in a 3D Zelda game is very dangerous, if not a disaster. I've never once played a 3D Zelda game where I wasn't constantly shifting the camera around. But, I believe that people could control the camera before so did they change this?

I don't think we ever got a confirmation either way on either version (E306 and post E306). People always asked, but didn't get an answer.

Amir0x

Banned
You could still control the camera in the Gamecube version either way, right?

(edit: I'm pretty sure I've seen a video where some arrows come up on screen and someone shifts the camera around)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AniHawk said:
There are no girls on the Internet.
a6fa5fadcd72f4f8fa92042aab392363.jpg

The fully manual camera control is gone, but it still has camera control akin to OoT's (z-targeting to center the camera behind Link), and OoT's camera was perfectly fine. In reality, I really didn't use the c-stick camera much in WW, I mostly just used to when I was sailing and didn't have to control movement, I liked spinning it around ^_^.

I think in the latest IGN Wii podcast, they report you have some control over the camera position. It was not complete freedom like Wind Waker, but it was enough. You had the ability to recenter the camera behind you, while the programming I guess took care of the rest. No problems were reported with that setup at all. So, so far, it seems like there is good camera work in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
MadraptorMan said:
The fully manual camera control is gone, but it still has camera control akin to OoT--and OoT's camera was perfectly fine. In reality, I really didn't use the c-stick camera much in WW, I mostly just used to when I was sailing and didn't have to control movement, I liked spinning it around ^_^.

Yikes if true. Wind Waker camera was a billion times better than the way they handled it in Ocarina of Time... what a step back.

Amir0x said:
Yikes if true. Wind Waker camera was a billion times better than the way they handled it in Ocarina of Time... what a step back.

Yeah, I suppose it's a loss, but certainly not game breaking by any means. I mean, I had no significant problems with the camera in OoT, that I can recall.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
MadraptorMan said:
The fully manual camera control is gone, but it still has camera control akin to OoT's (z-targeting to center the camera behind Link), and OoT's camera was perfectly fine. In reality, I really didn't use the c-stick camera much in WW, I mostly just used to when I was sailing and didn't have to control movement, I liked spinning it around ^_^.

Hmm. WW was a bit easier, but it wasn't like a night and day difference, so whatever.

AniHawk

The main problem I remembered having with MM was that the camera was positioned too close. Although I had become accustomed to WoW's system by then. I'll have to play TWW again for a bit, because I never recalled it being so many leagues better.

PkunkFury

dreamkats said:
There was a problem that made me aim under the screen to fire an arrow, instead of pointing at the screen for example... sometimes, it even started to rotate the camera to the right without stopping during 2 minutes...

If you can't use the sensor bar to control the camera, why would a sensor bar issue cause the camera to wig out?

NSider

Amir0x said:

I think completely automatic cameras can be done without problems if the developer is good enough, even in huge games (see Mario Galaxy). You can center the camera behind Link anytime, and during battles you'll use targeting anyway.

We'll have to ask Matt to check if they completely ditched the E3 2006 demo camera, though.

Amir0x

Banned
MadraptorMan said:
Yeah, I suppose it's a loss, but certainly not game breaking by any means. I mean, I had no significant problems with the camera in OoT, that I can recall.

I agree it's not gamebreaking, Ocarina is still fantastic. It's just really odd to think the series would be stepping back in that direction, Wind Waker really had excellent camera controls and it was a massive improvement over OoT/MM from my perspective.

What I want to know is if the Gamecube version ditches this as well, or if that still manages to hold on to the WW camera mechanic?

Amir0x said:
I agree it's not gamebreaking, Ocarina is still fantastic. It's just really odd to think the series would be stepping back in that direction, Wind Waker really had excellent camera controls and it was a massive improvement over OoT/MM from my perspective.

What I want to know is if the Gamecube version ditches this as well, or if that still manages to hold on to the WW camera mechanic?

I'm assuming the GameCube version will keep the WW camera control system, since it can afford to. Though, if it's gone...well, stranger things have happened.

Branduil

If they can actually get it to where the automatic camera works well I think that would be preferable to a crappy camera that you can manually adjust.

I don't remember seeing any camera issues in the Wii demos they've shown.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

Yes. Nintendo ditched a control scheme that was already in place because the Wii version had a different one. That makes absolutely perfect sense.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yes. Nintendo ditched a control scheme that was already in place because the Wii version had a different one. That makes absolutely perfect sense.

I honestly wouldn't pass anything by Nintendo, but since I'm pretty sure the Wii version had a controllable camera before and that is now apparently taken out who knows what would happen

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
I honestly wouldn't pass anything by Nintendo, but since I'm pretty sure the Wii version had a controllable camera before and that is now apparently taken out who knows what would happen

This is EAD, dude. They've worked on this thing for a good 4 years. This isn't the business side of Nintendo. These guys did Pikmin 2. Of course they know what they're doing.

This they are claiming to be the best Zelda ever... they seem to be very proud of it they know the importance of a good camera so lets give them some credit and hope for the best

Things don't always have to stay the same

Branduil

Amir0x said:

All the dungeons in the Wii version are minigames.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
This is EAD, dude. They've worked on this thing for a good 4 years. This isn't the business side of Nintendo. These guys did Pikmin 2. Of course they know what they're doing.

Apparently not, since they removed camera controls from the Wii version of the game! I'm just making sure my bases are covered, there's been a lot said that has changed.

Smiles and Cries said:
Things don't always have to stay the same

It's not just 'staying the same', it's actually reverting back to Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask camera control which we all already have experience with. Which is significantly inferior to Wind Waker camera control. So we don't really have to give the benefit of the doubt... most of us know how it controls, if what the report said is true.

Amir0x

Banned
AniHawk said:
Meaning that it also affected the GC version. Right.

You're trying way too hard.

What? No, you said EAD knows what they're doing but hint they're ALSO working on the Wii version of the game, where they reverted back to a fundamentally inferior camera control! Thus, they don't always know what they're doing! Evidence rests.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, just so we're on the same page here, when talking about the camera, you guys mean when Link is walking forward and makes a turn, then you can adjust the camera to take that view?

Cause seeing some old videos, its still there, at least with the GC version.

Kangu

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yes. Nintendo delayed a game that was already done for the Gamecube so they could tack on wiimote controls and fool people into thinking the Wii was actually launching with a Zelda game. That makes absolutely perfect sense.

It really doesn't.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
What? No, you said EAD knows what they're doing but hint they're ALSO working on the Wii version of the game, where they reverted back to a fundamentally inferior camera control! Thus, they don't always know what they're doing! Evidence rests.

What reason do you have to believe that Nintendo would go back and actively change the GC version's controls and camera to match the Wii versions? Think this through and reply reasonably.

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
Wait, just so we're on the same page here, when talking about the camera, you guys mean when Link is walking forward and makes a turn, then you can adjust the camera to take that view?

Cause seeing some old videos, its still there, at least with the GC version.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I know it's there in the old videos... camera control was in the old videos of the Wii version too. I'm not actually worried they removed it from the GCN version, that would be stupid and would make no sense since the controller layout is superior and ideal, I'm just checking my bases. For a while, many thought the Wii version could use GCN controls and I was holding out for that!

Amir0x said:
Apparently not, since they removed camera controls from the Wii version of the game! I'm just making sure my bases are covered, there's been a lot said that has changed.

It's not just 'staying the same', it's actually reverting back to Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask camera control which we all already have experience with. Which is significantly inferior to Wind Waker camera control. So we don't really have to give the benefit of the doubt... most of us know how it controls, if what the report said is true.

Well lets hope they keep the camera controls in the cube version... Seeing that I have my hands full with two different things I am really worried about the Wii version to be honest...
I'm really worried about using a Wii-mote for Zelda :(

I will be the first to be Frustrated

Amir0x

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
Well lets hope they keep the camera controls in the cube version... Seeing that I have my hands full with two different things I am really worried about the Wii version to be honest...
I'm really worried about using a Wii-mote for Zelda :(

I will be the first to be Frustrated

Yeah, I guess it dosn't matter as long as there's that ever-present GCN option. I just think it's weird that couldn't find a better camera solution than that for the Wii version of Zelda. I hope the first true ground-up Zelda game on Wii can figure out a better solution then just the Ocarina camera control.

NSider

Amir0x said:

You keep forgetting that they removed camera controls from Mario Galaxy, too. And that game doesn't even have a camera centering button. Now go read about SMG's camera.

EAD is now more experienced in 3D than the N64 days. The camera will be much better than OoT and MM, trust me. You won't need even need the camera controls, even if they didn't remove them completely and moved them to "button press + nunchuck tilt" instead (hey, that's not a bad idea..).

Beezy

NSider said:
You keep forgetting that they removed camera controls from Mario Galaxy, too. And that game doesn't even have a camera centering button. Now go read about SMG's camera.

But SMG takes place on a bunch of tiny planets. Zelda doesn't. Just saying.

Wow, lack of 3D camera movement is a hit. I think the fact that you can literally aim your cursor at something and lock on helps a bit though. In OOT and MM you sort of had to be in front of something to lock on, and that was kind of annoying. In TP, for instance, you could be in a town and just choose a person to talk to, the camera would center on them, and voila. Same goes for fighting.

Branduil

gamergirly said:
Where did your avatar come from?

I have a rotating avatar, you'll have to be more specific.

I hope the first true ground-up Zelda game on Wii can figure out a better solution then just the Ocarina camera control.

Good automatic camera.

Or Zelda FPA ;)

Top Bottom