• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

mclem

...well, clearly he's a know-nothing buffoon who's completely ignorant to the joys of the Best Game Ever. He should be shot.

(Not that I've listened to it, but, well, he'll either love it or *someone'll* react like that...)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gui_PT said:
I have to agree with him there. It's definitely a solid game, but it feels a bit dated by today's standards. By contrast, I recently replayed A Link to the Past (on a real SFC even) and found that, not only did they game still hold up, but that it would be good enough to stand as a new title even in 2011. It's brilliantly designed, perfectly paced, and fun as hell. It also looks better than OoT ever did.

JoeMartin

dark10x said:
I have to agree with him there. It's definitely a solid game, but it feels a bit dated by today's standards. By contrast, I recently replayed A Link to the Past (on a real SFC even) and found that, not only did they game still hold up, but that it would be good enough to stand as a new title even in 2011. It's brilliantly designed, perfectly paced, and fun as hell. It also looks better than OoT ever did.

LttP was always the superior Zelda. OoT was a brilliant stepping stone in 3d adventure sure, but better than LttP it was not.

Seda

BarrenMind said:
Good God, he played the whole game with Z targeting as "Hold" instead of "Switch"?

My 15 year old brother is just now getting into Zelda (even though he's been playing games since he was 4), and he decided he would start with Majora's Mask. He's seen me play each one so even though he hasn't played any of the Zelda games, he's quite familiar with them.

First of all, it's quite an experience to watch someone play through a game that I know front to back for the first time, watching him figure out things I take for granted now.

When he got to the first temple, he almost quit because of difficulties with targeting (and camera). I switched the game over to switch targeting (not hold) and it works so much better. He's up to the Great Bay area now.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
BarrenMind said:
Good God, he played the whole game with Z targeting as "Hold" instead of "Switch"?
yeah i had to change that, love the Nintendo as a Stripper Metaphor, lol so true

Danielsan

Carl said:
Don't believe he did the water temple in an hour and a half.

Or maybe it was easier than i remember
I played Ocarina of Time for the first time about 5 years ago. Still don't know what the big fuss around the Water Temple was about. It was piss easy.

Carl said:

Even as we speak, he is no doubt climbing out of a pile of e-mails and comments telling him that the Water Temple was simplified for the re-release.

Anyway, that review was kind of directionless.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Water temple wasn't hard,it was just annoying.

On the "fuck me" point..well.. in the entire Zelda series ( at least the ones I played) I think only Hero of Time was that way with the ladies,almost every female in the game want to ride him, The other Links weren't like that at all especially Hero of Wind and the Ugly Link from Twilight Princess.

Red

Danielsan said:
I played Ocarina of Time for the first time about 5 years ago. Still don't know what the big fuss around the Water Temple was about. It was piss easy.
Yep. Even when I played on release I breezed through it. Had no idea it was considered difficult until years later.

dark10x said:

I definitely prefer LTTP over OoT. It's timeless.

OMG Aero

Carl said:

The water temple was never really as hard as people remember it. The main issues everyone had with it was repeatedly having to pause to switch to iron boots (Which is replaced with a single button in the 3DS release) and one key in particular which is easy to overlook (In the 3DS release, the camera pans to this key's location and stays on it for a few seconds which makes it basically impossible to ignore).

Not to mention that the majority of people who complain about the water temple played the game when it first came out and they were kids and not as smart.

Metal B

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Anyway, that review was kind of directionless.

Yeah, i got the same vibe. He was mostly nitpicking and his only real point is that OoT is an old game, which influenced the games after it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Danielsan said:

Hard, not so much. It was just bloody annoying to constantly go to the menu to equip and deequip the boots. That's the reason I never finished the original version. 3DS version makes this much less painful.

TheExodu5

Banned
dark10x said:

Agreed as well.

Going through OoT for the first time...it's just pretty boring. It feels very directionless at times, and very little thought is put into the exploration. You pretty much have to brute force search your way through the game. Besides that, the dungeon (up until the Fire Temple) have been disappointingly unchallenging. There isn't a big sense of accomplishment in completing the dungeons (though I haven't done the Water Temple yet), and the bosses have been a huge let down after how much they were hyped for me.

I can't really fault it too much...it's a good game, and offers a fairly unique experience...but I just don't find it all that engaging.

Enosh said:
bah, the longer it takes the more I fear he won't do a "e3 2011" this year :(
He already said shortly after the e3 that he wouldn't do that in video form but in a Extra Punctuation, which has been available for many weeks.

Also, the review was somewhat unclear and directionless. I don't like Ocarina of Time and was hoping he would have given a somewhat better review detailing more negative points.

Carl said:

What? How long do you think it took him?

That dungeon gets way, way too much hype for being difficult anyway, but there are also concessions to make it easier in the 3DS version. No way the dungeon should take anyone over an hour, tops.

It's interesting to hear from a critic who has played a few Zelda games but not OoT. Have there been any other reviews from a "This is my first time with the game" perspective?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
MegaKungFuRadio said:
It's so good, I am shocked I've never heard it before.
Oh yeah, that moment was funny too, haha.

I didn't like the review, though. Seemed uninspired.

Lopson

Neo Member
Wow, someone who actually agrees with me in regard to N64 games! I really hate the console and its software. It's something I can't really explain.

Despite how I feel, not too long ago, I gave OoT a shot and honestly, I didn't really like it. The soundtrack and some of the characters were the only things that pulled me through the game.

Gameplay is solid, though I really felt the need for a second joystick for the camera. The soundtrack was phenomenal and had a crucial role in immersing the player in the game, since the good graphics (for the time) were, at times, insufficient to do that job. The "overworld" of OoT is lifeless, there's always so little going on and not a whole lot to explore and discover. The dungeons were well designed, with the exception of the Water Temple, which was a pain in the ass to get through (took me 2 hours). The story was quite good, but nothing spectacular. The characters were mostly uninteresting, expect for a few that really kept the world and the story interesting for me (Windmill guy and Mask salesman, looking at you). All in all, for me, this game is far from being a timeless masterpiece, however, I can understand why people that grew with the game love it.

All of this to say that I completely agree with Yahtzee.

sn00zer

Always confused by the OoT is the best game ever argument...You could argue it used to be the best game ever...but now? definitely not...Okami, Darksiders, and all the Zelda's after OoT are better than OoT and thats just games in its genre....
OoT laid the groundwork for hundreds of titles, but many many games have come and gone that are much better than OoT...
OoT is like saying your work in highschool was better than your work in college...you couldnt get to college without highschool, but your college work is almost always leagues ahead of whatever you did in highschool

Rufus

Brazil said:
That was the only funny moment in the video.
"But this isn't difficult, it's just obtuse. Which is to difficulty what sneezing on a sandwich is to cunnilingus." is pretty good as well.

beat

Prophet Steve said:
He already said shortly after the e3 that he wouldn't do that in video form but in a Extra Punctuation, which has been available for many weeks
Huh! Someone should start posting the links to Extra Punctuation in here, because they're interesting and yet I generally never think to read them.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I thought to myself " how on earth has the ZP thread been able to be on the first page several days in a row, I must see what all the hubbub is about"

"OoT 3D on this weeks zp"

Oh...I see.

Khold said:
I too want to know which cutscene or whatever requires entering through a specific door..

I had this problem too when I played OOT 3DS. When you want to get to the Shadow Temple, you have to enter Kakariko Village from Hyrule Field before the cutscene will trigger. I entered from Death Mountain which doesn't work.

Ulairi

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
That was hilarious, but someone needs to tell The Escapist that there's no award for having the worst video player on the internet.

Their HTML 5 player is awesome. What's up?

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Sorry, the title of this thread gets me every time I see it.

N64 games were pretty butt ugly, and I never found a single game I liked using that controller for other than Goldeneye. It had some great games, but I never bought one, and I own most every console of the last 20 years.

And I'm gonna stick my neck out here and be that guy, but I haven't been able to put more than 2 hours into a Zelda game since Link to the Past. I even had that compilation Gamecube disc with like 3 or 4 games on it. I bought the first Zelda on Wii, played it for an hour, and I think it was the last time I've ever even turned the system on.

plc268

Best way to play OOT is on the PC with a Cel-shaded texture pack to make it look like Wind waker.

But is OOT bashing now popular? Just like everyone loves to hate on FF7 now? Yea, looking at OOT now, it has aged a bit and some of the newer games did Zelda better, but it's still a fucking superb game. The best of all time? I don't know, probably not, but it ranks near the top, IMO.

plc268 said:
Best way to play OOT is on the PC with a Cel-shaded texture pack to make it look like Wind waker.

But is OOT bashing now popular? Just like everyone loves to hate on FF7 now? Yea, looking at OOT now, it has aged a bit and some of the newer games did Zelda better, but it's still a fucking superb game. The best of all time? I don't know, probably not, but it ranks near the top, IMO.
I've been loving to hate on FF7 since it came out. There's no way any of the Zelda games are in the same category with that steaming pile.

It's as if as soon as Zelda went 3D, it lost me, and I can't even say why. The same certainly didn't happen to me with Retro's Metroid games.

DaBuddaDa

plc268 said:
Opinions and memories change over time, that's all.

Ulairi said:
Their HTML 5 player is awesome. What's up?

The overlay thing which pops up is completely unnecessary, starting the video caused my tab to lock up, and then hitting fullscreen once I got control back froze it again. Then I switched tabs and my screen went black for 10 seconds, then the video started about a minute in. That's in Chrome, so it's certainly not to do with my browser.

Gui_PT

jim-jam bongs said:
The overlay thing which pops up is completely unnecessary, starting the video caused my tab to lock up, and then hitting fullscreen once I got control back froze it again. Then I switched tabs and my screen went black for 10 seconds, then the video started about a minute in. That's in Chrome, so it's certainly not to do with my browser.

That has never ever happened to me.

You need to check your stuffs, bro.

Gui_PT said:
That has never ever happened to me.

You need to check your stuffs, bro.

You dissing my stuffs mang?

But for real, it's probably this PC now that I think about it. 2008 Macbook, think it's actually only got 2gb of RAM. Still that overlay thing is pretty fucking obnoxious.

Gui_PT

jim-jam bongs said:
You dissing my stuffs mang?

But for real, it's probably this PC now that I think about it. 2008 Macbook, think it's actually only got 2gb of RAM. Still that overlay thing is pretty fucking obnoxious.

2gb shouldn't be a problem. Maybe yahtzee doesn't like macs

Gui_PT said:
2gb shouldn't be a problem. Maybe yahtzee doesn't like macs

Nah it's a fake Mac, it's either run Windows 7 or Ubuntu for roughly 90% of its life. You know, it could be F.lux related actually, that and/or the Intel GPU.

jim-jam bongs said:
Nah it's a fake Mac, it's either run Windows 7 or Ubuntu for roughly 90% of its life. You know, it could be F.lux related actually, that and/or the Intel GPU.
I use F.lux, and haven't had a problem.

Top Bottom