• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That was a fairly positive review overall. His complaints are the same that have been echoed by everyone else, basically.

Dina

"and a completely incomprehensible thing I hesitate to call a final boss fight while it seems more like a nightmare Philip K. Dick might have had while being spooned by H. R. Giger"

Brilliant!

Pretty much matched my thoughts on the ending.
It's ridiculous that it goes to stock footage, with Adam doing a voiceover telling you why he made that decision. That kind of thing barely qualifies as an ending, since I'm the one who made the clearly spelled-out decision, I don't need to be told why I made it; I want to see how my decision affected the world. One interesting thing about Invisible War is that it introduced doubt to the supposed consequences of Deus Ex's endings. I would have rather liked to see whether the final decisions in HR had the intended consequences.

dark10x

explodet said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that it's becoming more apparent Insomniac wants to be Valve so badly.

Not that that's a bad thing.
Agreed.

Doesn't surprise me really as Insomniac has never really wowed with my original ideas. Their games generally take genre staples and add a lot of crazy weapons to the mix.

Resistance 3 was definitely the best shooter they've made, though. Very solid game.

Levyne

Banned
I lost it at "Wait a minute!? The scientist has a BEARD!"

It wasn't even that funny in retrospect but still laughed out loud.

Enosh

heh, health packs are one of the things making me not want to buy the game, I put up with that bullshit for too long

I had absolutely no interest in Resistance 3 until watching this review. The first game was passable, and the second (in the short time I played it) was nonenticing, so I'd completely ignored the third entry until now. I guess I'll wait for a couple price drops, then pick it up.

dark10x

Health packs = real tension.

Recharge health can die in a fire. LAME.
They both have their place in gaming. Pulling either one off takes skill and good design.

They can both shine in the right hands.

Gui_PT

MrPliskin said:
Health packs = real tension.

Recharge health can die in a fire. LAME.

Omg I just got my ass kicked. Here, let me hide behind this wall for a minute while my health magically grows back to 100% like nothing had happened.

I'll repeat this while killing one guy each time I come out of hiding.

PRO GRAMING.

inky

There's worse companies to be copying, that's for sure. Might as well follow the best.

This made me interested in R3, a game I'd zoned out of existence after the poop that was R2. Funnily enough I enjoyed the multiplayer in that one.

JoeMartin

Criminal Upper said:
Always surprised when this topic gets bumped, as it reminds me that Yahtzee still exists.

Used to be such a fan.

I could think of worse ways to spend 5 minutes. He's always good for a chuckle or two.

Hellion

Best review this year.
Hes right about crumbling up gears story and tossing it into a bin in your brain lol.

And Sam is played by Claudia Black, Chloe from U2? Now I understand why I only online game as her.

dark10x

That's about what I expected. He didn't even touch on what makes the game fun to play, though (the actual missions), but I can't deny that the setup is absolutely ridiculous and poorly paced.

dark10x

Lostconfused said:
Either that or he thought it wasn't interesting enough to even bother mentioning.
Which is bizarre as it's the best part of the game.

Of course, if you're not into old school id style gun play, you aren't going to like Rage at all.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Review summed up my major problem with the majority of today's AAA games: Too much focus on graphics, not enough in-game focus, too much kitchen sink approach and not enough focusing on doing one gameplay style awesomely.

RurouniZel said:
Review summed up my major problem with the majority of today's AAA games: Too much focus on graphics, not enough in-game focus, too much kitchen sink approach and not enough focusing on doing one gameplay style awesomely.
But that's exactly what Rage does, awesome, simple gameplay.

Strafe-jumping.

Top Bottom