• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

Salsa

dark10x said:
That's about what I expected. He didn't even touch on what makes the game fun to play, though (the actual missions)

seriously

I mean, i like Yatzhee and his whole shtick always gets in the way of the actual "review", but there's no argument on how weak the story can be, so that's hardly an opinion, as such im surprised he failed to mention 1 single thing about how the gameplay is so fucking fun. He makes good points on what he says but he doesnt even try to cover the game at all.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SalsaShark said:
seriously

I mean, i like Yatzhee and his whole shtick always gets in the way of the actual "review", but there's no argument on how weak the story can be, so that's hardly an opinion, as such im surprised he failed to mention 1 single thing about how the gameplay is so fucking fun. He makes good points on what he says but he doesnt even try to cover the game at all.

Is this 2008 again?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
SalsaShark said:
seriously

Maybe because he didn't think it was fun?

Salsa

Andrex said:
Is this 2008 again?

? :|

RurouniZel said:
Maybe because he didn't think it was fun?

perhaps, still we'll never find out (unless he does one of those written columns wich tend to be more in-depth), i mean for once its kinda silly to go to him for recommendations where his whole show is pretty much a comedy skit, he has a runtime and he always uses it to pick in one or two of the game's flaws and poke them with a stick, it doesnt hurt that he's mostly right and i dont disagree with him here, but considering how he doesnt really do a full coverage, its weird to see people react so seriously to his impressions. I think i mentioned this here before with another example but i cant remember..

I mean, someone saying "sounds like the perfect game to redbox" after watching that little input on the actual game is kinda silly.

RurouniZel

SalsaShark said:
perhaps, still we'll never find out (unless he does one of those written columns wich tend to be more in-depth), i mean for once its kinda silly to go to him for recommendations where his whole show is pretty much a comedy skit, he has a runtime and he always uses it to pick in one or two of the game's flaws and poke them with a stick, it doesnt hurt that he's mostly right and i dont disagree with him here, but considering how he doesnt really do a full coverage, its weird to see people react so seriously to his impressions. I think i mentioned this here before with another example but i cant remember..

I mean, someone saying "sounds like the perfect game to redbox" after watching that little input on the actual game is kinda silly.

Usually, if he enjoys a game he'll say so, even after bashing it to high heaven. If he didn't say he enjoyed it or found the gameplay fun, it's because he didn't. That's the basic rule of his reviews.

EDIT: And to clarify, it's not like Yahtzee hasn't completely bashed some of my favorite games this generation (Valkyria Chronicles, Monster Hunter 3 Tri, fucking hell, most Wii games for that matter...). But that doesn't mean he's completely wrong either. I just don't always agree with his perspective.

Salsa

RurouniZel said:
Usually, if he enjoys a game he'll say so, even after bashing it to high heaven. If he didn't say he enjoyed it or found the gameplay fun, it's because he didn't. That's the basic rule of his reviews.

He didnt say he found the gameplay boring, he doesnt do the "if he doesnt mention it its because it aint worth it" thing, specially when it comes to gameplay, he always speaks about it, this one video sticks out because of that. And he did said he enjoyed stuff about it, its hardly all negative.

The only reviews i can think of where he truly praised a game was Silent Hill 2 and anything Valve.

RurouniZel

SalsaShark said:
He didnt say he found the gameplay boring, he doesnt do the "if he doesnt mention it its because it aint worth it" thing, specially when it comes to gameplay, he always speaks about it, this one video sticks out because of that. And he did said he enjoyed stuff about it, its hardly all negative.

The only reviews i can think of where he truly praised a game was Silent Hill 2 and anything Valve.

Off the top of my head he's praised as good games

Shadow of the Colossus
Zack and Wiki
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Batman Arkham Asylum
Super Mario Galaxy
House of the Dead Overkill
No More Heroes
Prince of Persia

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SalsaShark said:

Same things were said about Brawl after that hit. Fanboys of a game always get up in arm after he reviews their favorite games.

These videos are for comedy, don't get so worked up.

Salsa

Andrex said:
Same things were said about Brawl after that hit. Fanboys of a game always get up in arm after he reviews their favorite games.

but this is my point entirely, read the same post you quoted:

Salsashark said:
perhaps, still we'll never find out (unless he does one of those written columns wich tend to be more in-depth), i mean for once its kinda silly to go to him for recommendations where his whole show is pretty much a comedy skit

Sorry if i look like im getting worked up? im honestly not!

also talk about a dark reference to make dude, you thought i was gonna get you were comparing this to a brawl outcry by just saying "2008"? lulz

RurouniZel

SalsaShark said:
but this is my point entirely, read my previous post. Sorry if i look like im getting worked up?

also talk about a dark reference to make dude, you thought i was gonna get you were comparing this to a brawl outcry? lulz

Yes, they are comedy. But the reason some people do listen to them a bit seriously is that, like most good comedy, we laugh because there are grains of truth in it. Obviously it's exaggerated out of proportion to be funnier, but it's not like the stuff he makes fun of isn't there or is blatantly not true.

Salsa

RurouniZel said:
Yes, they are comedy. But the reason some people do listen to them a bit seriously is that, like most good comedy, we laugh because there are grains of truth in it. Obviously it's exaggerated out of proportion to be funnier, but it's not like the stuff he makes fun of isn't there or is blatantly not true.

for sure, i also said exactly that in the same post :p

SalsaShark said:

RurouniZel

SalsaShark said:
for sure, i also said exactly that in the same post :p

So you did, my mistake. Still, I go back to my original statement that if he didn't mention something it's because he felt it wasn't worth mentioning. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.

Salsa

RurouniZel said:
So you did, my mistake. Still, I go back to my original statement that if he didn't mention something it's because he felt it wasn't worth mentioning. I guess it's just different strokes for different folks.

Sure, hope we get something more in-depth in one of his written columns, i do think the guy tends to make some valid points that are mostly left out of reviews elsewhere. He's a good writer too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Andrex said:

That doesnt make him immune from criticism, though some people think it does.

RurouniZel said:

Shadow of the Colossus
Zack and Wiki
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Batman Arkham Asylum
Super Mario Galaxy
No More Heroes
Prince of Persia

Q4lq8.jpg

He also seems to love both inFamous games

I don't remember him liking SMG. Or maybe he conceded it was good but extremely overrated or something

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HK-47 said:
That doesnt make him immune from criticism, though some people think it does.

Of course. I just don't think it's worth criticizing. It's like comics in the Sunday newspaper. I'm not going to write a bunch of sentences about why this week's sucked.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
revolverjgw said:
He also seems to love both inFamous games

Yeah he really love the "go crazy" open world games, he loved Saint's Row 2 like no other and was his game of the year of 2008,loved Just Cause 2 and it was his game of the year last year also loved inFamous 1/2 and even Prototype.

Doomrider

Khold said:
Batman: Arkham City

He recommends it all together but the sandbox nature rubs him the wrong way, oddly.

Is it true that some sidequests lock out if you don't complete them fast enough?

I don't think so. I completed the majority of the side-content after beating the game and I took my time with it, searching for Riddler stuff in between missions. Nothing was locked.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Khold said:

He recommends it all together but the sandbox nature rubs him the wrong way, oddly.

Is it true that some sidequests lock out if you don't complete them fast enough?

I could imagine the
Mad Hatter
sequence locking out after you complete the game. It wouldn't make much sense if you've completed the game already.

Khold said:

Also criticizes "sequely" premise/story and plotholes which I tend to agree. There's no particular reason why this couldn't have been set in Gotham City fullspot with more linear gameplay.

Also seems the devs wanted to blow their entire load with Batman's rogues gallery. Sometimes less is more.

Anilones

RurouniZel said:

Shadow of the Colossus
Zack and Wiki
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Batman Arkham Asylum
Super Mario Galaxy
No More Heroes
Prince of Persia

Psychonauts is the main one I remember. He really has a go at the gaming public, loved it.

NEO0MJ

Khold said:

Not really a sidequest but
there is a point in the game where you can meet Killer Croc but the window to meet him is very short and you're given no information about it

Jedeye Sniv said:
I could imagine the
Mad Hatter
sequence locking out after you complete the game. It wouldn't make much sense if you've completed the game already.

It actually stays open after you finish the game.

LabouredSubterfuge said:
He also awarded Saints Row 2 GOTY.

I imagine what will he give to Saints Row The Third. I mean, it looks like it still has that "people want to have fun and go nuts? LET'S GIVE THEM THAT!" mentality that he loved.

beat

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Also criticizes "sequely" premise/story and plotholes which I tend to agree. There's no particular reason why this couldn't have been set in Gotham City fullspot with more linear gameplay.
Except having named the first one Arkham Asylum, how do you make a sequel that expands the setting and yet still has "Arkham" in the name?

beat

Mr. Sam said:
Why does it have to have "Arkham" in the name?
How would you let consumers know this is the sequel to the only good Batman game and not yet another terrible comics-to-games title?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RurouniZel said:

Shadow of the Colossus
Zack and Wiki
Call of Duty 4
Bioshock
Batman Arkham Asylum
Super Mario Galaxy
No More Heroes
Prince of Persia

Saints Row 2 was his GOTY for that year.

AshMcCool

guitarhero said:
I imagine what will he give to Saints Row The Third. I mean, it looks like it still has that "people want to have fun and go nuts? LET'S GIVE THEM THAT!" mentality that he loved.
He's probably gonna hate because its trying too hard. :)

Keasar

Ridley327 said:
Goddamn, he offered no quarter to the campaign. Is it really that bad?
It was quite bad, it had some truly beautiful to look at set-pieces, but it was bad. Really bad. Story was bad, overall gameplay was bad (QTE ahoy) and A.I was bad. Multiplayer is simply what the game should only be known for.

Top Bottom