• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Zero Punctuation Thread

Sethos

Banned
it's funny, I was sucked into buying spec ops for much the same reasons he says it's great but the shonky gameplay pissed me off too much to continue past about the halfway point. perhaps I'd better finish it this weekend.

Oh yeah, shonky - I like that word. Janky has a brother ( Sister? ) now.

daviyoung

Banned
shonky = shoddy + janky

croddy = crappy + shoddy

Portmanteau and You: How to be a Game Journalist. Available from all good bookstores.

Minyobi

That review got very interested in Spec Ops.
After looking through a few parts of a walkthrough, I'm still not sure if that game is for me or not. I guess I'll just have to play it and find out.

Also, if there is some kind of petition to ban all use of the word "shonky," then I will gladly sign it.

shonky = shoddy + janky

croddy = crappy + shoddy

Portmanteau and You: How to be a Game Journalist. Available from all good bookstores.

Hmm... perhaps.

(I know you're not being entirely serious and) maybe it's a UK thing, or even localised to Wales, but I first came across shonky in the 80's. Janky's a word that I'd never heard until I met it a few months ago on GAF.

That review got very interested in Spec Ops.
After looking through a few parts of a walkthrough, I'm still not sure if that game is for me or not. I guess I'll just have to play it and find out.

Also, if there is some kind of petition to ban all use of the word "shonky," then I will gladly sign it.

Nnnoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there is some kind of petition to ban Minyobi then I will gladly sign it ;-)

Shonky 4eva

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I was totally sold on Spec Ops with the Bjork trailer like.. 2 years ago? and then I fell out of want with it when it looked as tho is was dev hell exhibit #640 ....

But now Yahtzee didn't just shit all over it for 5 minutes? What is going on here??!!

Suppose i'll have to pick it up. the demo didn't play like complete shite so if the story is actually dark and depressing and actually that twisted up... I might even be able to sell my wife on watching while I play.

who woulda thunk it.

edit: after treading this page ... i wonder if Yahtzee realizes just how special his position as a "games journo/reviewer" is at this point. i honestly don't think there is another mag/website/youtube reviewer out there who can actually flip my decision on a game I have yet to play like he has. Sounds like he sold a few copies of Spec Ops with his review. Kind of a special thing actually. And still hilarious.

well I finished it today... definitely the most subversive war game I've ever played, it's a shame that the gameplay is so repetitive and banal, but perhaps that's the point.

someone was steam-chatting with me about whether it was worth playing while I was about halfway through and I remarked that it's the kind of game I'd probably have appreciated just as much by watching a let's play.

but I'd have to take that back after finishing it, the impact of a number of scenes is greatly enhanced by the fact that they use typical cheesy gaming conventions to push you into doing some horrendous things.
the scene where you have to open fire on the civilians is an obvious example; you get close and the game tells you with a strawberry jam explosion and a knockback that you're not going to be allowed to pass without murdering some people.

that and the way that the interstitial messages on loading screens start to get more and more fucked up really got to me. dying in a hail of lead and then seeing
"this is all your fault"
on the screen was like a little punch in the guts.

someone was steam-chatting with me about whether it was worth playing while I was about halfway through and I remarked that it's the kind of game I'd probably have appreciated just as much by watching a let's play.

but I'd have to take that back after finishing it, the impact of a number of scenes is greatly enhanced by the fact that they use typical cheesy gaming conventions to push you into doing some horrendous things.
the scene where you have to open fire on the civilians is an obvious example; you get close and the game tells you with a strawberry jam explosion and a knockback that you're not going to be allowed to pass without murdering some people.

that and the way that the interstitial messages on loading screens start to get more and more fucked up really got to me. dying in a hail of lead and then seeing
"this is all your fault"
on the screen was like a little punch in the guts.
When did you
open fire on civilians
?

Riposte

How is it "enhanced"? That goes against any reasoning.

When did you
open fire on civilians
?

when lugo gets hanged by the mob

How is it "enhanced"? That goes against any reasoning.

because it adds an additional level of satire to the experience. it's like the aforementioned loading screen messages, if they weren't a staple of shooters they'd just be weird messages between the action; because they are a genre trope, and are quite deliberately the antithesis of the more typical examples, they have a far more meaningful impact.

KlotePino

Didn't like this review that much. Seems like his own personal experience making point n click adventures might have clouded his judgement somewhat on this. He was really harsh on it but then suddenly turned around and said he liked only to then say he wasn't interested in where it's gonna go.

It's a dumb argument to say he knows how it's going to end since a little thing called suspension of disbelief helps us to enjoy all the movies/tv series and games of which the endings are obvious. Yeah they live happily ever after but it's about how we get there and who we lose along the way.

Only part I agreed on was that the whole point n click aspect of it is really quite is easy and dumbed down.

It's a dumb argument to say he knows how it's going to end since a little thing called suspension of disbelief helps us to enjoy all the movies/tv series and games of which the endings are obvious. Yeah they live happily ever after but it's about how we get there and who we lose along the way.

I don't think "suspension of disbelief" means what you think it means.

Also, your definition of suspension of disbelief is not some magical spell that the viewer needs to apply into his or her own brain. It is in the responsibility of the game/movie/book/etc to inject or sell the disbelief. That's how it works. It's not for me to convince myself that the magic trick is real, it is for the magician.

If it's done right, the question of the conclusion isn't obvious because the conclusion is not in our head...the "now" moment is. The happily-ever-after doesn't come into the viewer's mind, because they are gripped in the moment of the character's lives, and you don't know or even consider what the ending is. All you're thinking is "now what?" not "he's going to be fine, no worries. This is boring."

And the issue with the Walking Dead may be even deeper than that. It's such a generic "check box" zombie story and world that you do, somehow, know where this is going because you, somehow, know that nothing remotely creative will come of the franchise. How could that not bother some people I'll never understand. I have no clue why calling it out for what it is would not be considered an apt criticism. About as apt as a criticism can possibly be. And in the Walking Dead, "the ride" is about as generic and predictable as the aforementioned predictable conclusions. You may not care because zombies or whatever, but it's hardly a "dumb argument."

SJRB

Gold Member
I liked the Amazing Spider-Man a lot. I played the PS3 version and had a great time.

Yahtzee is wrong about the web-swinging, unfortunately. Yes, there is a "keep the button pressed to swing around", but there's little fun in that. In fact, if you let the button go and press it again at just the right moment you can build up huge momentum which drastically improves traversal speed, height and most importantly: fun. Timing every websling just right is not hard or challenging per se, but it is definately engaging and miles better than the "keep pressed to swing" button.

The game was also incredibly hard at parts, mostly due to the unfair AI. Yahtzee is absolutely right when he basically says it's a watered-down version of Arkham, because it pretty much is.

The story is surprisingly "mature" and the mutant hybrids looked disgusting. Character design was top notch. And yes, his snarky remarks get on your nerves at certain points, but the game is also surprisingly funny at times.

This game probably did not get the attention it deserved because it has the "movie tie-in" stigma, which is unfortunate. I also think that releasing it at the full 65 euro price range is a big mistake. If they released it at 40 it would've sold like hot cakes.
In all fairness I bought this game because of the slow summer console draught, and the first five minutes of the game I thought I made a huge mistake getting it. But it was surprisingly great. Once you master the web-slinging it just gets so much fun traversing through the city and lets face it - that's the only REAL reason to play a Spider-Man game, is it not?

BKJest

Of course. But the build up, the timing and the delivery of the line had me laughing out loud. Which hasn't happened in a while with his videos.

Top Bottom